Jump to content
Victorian

Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Recommended Posts

Samuel Camazzola

-

8 hours ago, Armageddon said:

 

We played it twice in one weekend for £180 in April, £26 Premier Inn for the Saturday night and it was perfect!

 

Luckily my mate is now a member, going up to see Liam Gallagher on the 14th November and playing golf on Friday 15th - the summer sign on rate is £50 so expecting the winter rate to be less than that.

 

I found a cheap way to play big courses is to search eBay, some folk win vouchers then try and shift them.  I bought 4 vouchers for the PGA at Gleneagles, the guy selling worked for Johnny Walker, the dates I needed the vouchers for and they never arrived in time, he phoned Gleneagles and sorted it and we had a great day, 2 weeks later the original vouchers arrives in the post and we played it again! :)

Cheers! Very useful to know. Will take a look as it's a course I'd like to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

One of my mates has taken golf back up this year and been playing a lot recently. He has taken to proudly claiming over whatsapp to have shot some brilliant scores (considering he's just been playing a few months) whenever playing on his own.

 

I'm off 17 and still haven't shot better than 85 at our course. He claims he shot an 88, 87 and 83 last week. Any time he plays with anyone else he's around 100+. He shot 105 when he played with me and another friend yesterday, I was an 89. He seemingly shot an 88 today though on his own again. :lol: 

 

Either the biggest bottler ever with an audience, or telling porkies. Anyone else know someone like this?

 

 

Yep, sounds like my mate!

 

In his defence though, I do find I play better on my own. Probably more to do with being more relaxed and slowing things down etc. Not 20 shots different mind you :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers

Completely new to this thread (and golf), so apologies if this has been covered before.

 

I want to learn how to play golf. I have just been out to a range a couple of times where I got some pointers from a mate. I have also got a pretty old set of clubs off my grandad to start learning with. Are lessons the best way to go? I live near Duddingson and thinking about booking lessons with their pro. Just wanted to check if there are any other recommendations first. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin
Just now, Carl Weathers said:

Completely new to this thread (and golf), so apologies if this has been covered before.

 

I want to learn how to play golf. I have just been out to a range a couple of times where I got some pointers from a mate. I have also got a pretty old set of clubs off my grandad to start learning with. Are lessons the best way to go? I live near Duddingson and thinking about booking lessons with their pro. Just wanted to check if there are any other recommendations first. 

 

 

 

Definitely worthwhile getting a few lessons from a pro if you're just starting out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
37 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Completely new to this thread (and golf), so apologies if this has been covered before.

 

I want to learn how to play golf. I have just been out to a range a couple of times where I got some pointers from a mate. I have also got a pretty old set of clubs off my grandad to start learning with. Are lessons the best way to go? I live near Duddingson and thinking about booking lessons with their pro. Just wanted to check if there are any other recommendations first. 

 

 

 

There's no one-size-fits-all plan really.    You could go from ground zero to lessons or you could just practice yourself and develop a swing first and go for lessons later.     

 

There's no point spending lots of money on clubs at the moment.    All you need are decent, reasonably modern clubs.    Hopefully good grips on them.    If uou get a chance,  try to get a shot of a few drivers or woods or irons.   Other mates,  etc.    You might get a pointer towards the kind of clubs you're comfortable with.

 

Later on you can look towards getting specific clubs.   You need to have a consistent,  repeatable swing first before it's beneficial to be fitted for clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers

Cheers. I think I'll keep going to the range and get some lessons booked. These are the clubs I have been given (need a good clean). 

 

20190906-190830.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

Completely new to this thread (and golf), so apologies if this has been covered before.

 

I want to learn how to play golf. I have just been out to a range a couple of times where I got some pointers from a mate. I have also got a pretty old set of clubs off my grandad to start learning with. Are lessons the best way to go? I live near Duddingson and thinking about booking lessons with their pro. Just wanted to check if there are any other recommendations first. 

 

 

If transport is not an issue for you, get yourself up to somewhere like Swanston which has a par 3 course. It'll give you a feel for the course set up and allow you to focus on the short game element (most important part of the game all pros will tell you). It'll also be more enjoyable for a beginner as you will only be using the bottom end of the set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If transport is not an issue for you, get yourself up to somewhere like Swanston which has a par 3 course. It'll give you a feel for the course set up and allow you to focus on the short game element (most important part of the game all pros will tell you). It'll also be more enjoyable for a beginner as you will only be using the bottom end of the set. 

 

I'd advocate this as well. Getting on the course will be so much more beneficial.

 

You could always check out the second market on places like Facebook or Club 4 Cash and upgrade yourself to something a bit more modern than the clubs above. Some reasonable irons and woods wouldn't set you back too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers

Thanks guys. I can get up to Swanston and will take a look at that shop at Loanhead. Are those clubs above not worth persevering with? Any brands I should be looking at? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Irufushi

The shafts on those clubs will be rotten (steel ones ,obviously) pick up a second hand set online . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

That putter is from the public putting green that used to be over from Luckies about 40 year ago.    :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers

🤣

 

They're my grandad's old set - the problem is that he's 89! Still plays regularly. 

Edited by Carl Weathers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
2 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

🤣

 

They're my grandad's old set - the problem is that he's 89! Still plays regularly. 

 

Could be a total wand though.    Bet he pots 'em in from all over the shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks guys. I can get up to Swanston and will take a look at that shop at Loanhead. Are those clubs above not worth persevering with? Any brands I should be looking at? 

 

American Golf have a couple of pretty decent entry level deals.

 

https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/sets-of-irons/fazer-xr-4-hybrid-%26-steel-irons-5-sw-259792.html

 

https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/sets-of-irons/wilson-deep-red-maxx-steel-irons-314035.html

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06

My local American Golf (Glenrothes) are always doing great deals on second hand gear too.

 

Not that long ago they were doing a full set of clubs, bag and trolley for like £250.

 

If you are on Facebook, the Golf Trader Fife page is worth adding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks guys. I can get up to Swanston and will take a look at that shop at Loanhead. Are those clubs above not worth persevering with? Any brands I should be looking at? 

You'll easily find a 'modern' suitable set (or half set) for a low price through the sites previously mentioned. Gumtree is worth a look as is your local pro shop who'll possibly have some old demo or rental clubs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

🤣

 

They're my grandad's old set - the problem is that he's 89! Still plays regularly. 

 

If your prepared to jaunt out to Uphall, I will borrow you a fairly decent set to get you started.

No bag or putter though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Swanson
5 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

🤣

 

They're my grandad's old set - the problem is that he's 89! Still plays regularly. 

 

Would give GolfClubs4Cash in Bilston a look. Massive selection of 2nd hand clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spirt of 98
18 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Cheers. I think I'll keep going to the range and get some lessons booked. These are the clubs I have been given (need a good clean). 

 

20190906-190830.jpg

You probably need to shorten the shafts on those clubs! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsmak

Won my first trophy in years today.  Totally chuffed as I've found it so hard playing of 4 giving strokes away all the time. And today, I got 1.. 

 

Birdied the last to win 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers
19 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

 

If your prepared to jaunt out to Uphall, I will borrow you a fairly decent set to get you started.

No bag or putter though.

 

Thanks for the kind offer mate, very good of you. I think I'll take a trip to Cash 4 clubs and pick some up though.

 

 

Edited by Carl Weathers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord BJ

Played for the first time in over 2 years today, after falling completely out of love with game. 

 

The round was up and down, as should be expected, as never even hit golf ball prior. 

 

I forgot how tough the the game was.

 

Driving the ball felt really weird. Which used to be my strength, really struggled to get beyond 300yards. Though I did win me a prize for long drive. 

 

I normally draw the ball and rarely managed to bring it back all day. Just really struggled to get the hands moving through the ball as result felt was just concentrating on making sure in play which wasn’t all that easy. Though started and finished with the same ball, albeit spotter helped a couple of times. 

 

Iron work outside of 100yards was very decent considering time away. However, inside 100 yards was a joke either a mile too long or just absolutely fluffed it because got the fear and decelerated. It got stage where purposely leaving longer shots into greens.

 

My putting was good ,a few putts apart, that just completely misjudged pace or line and once putted off green from a monster putt with stupid pin position. However, didn’t leave many out there and don’t think missed anything inside 10ft and sunk a very nice 30ft on final hole to scramble a par. 

 

Can’t say I ever felt in the zone or the swing was there, other than mid to long irons. There was a lot more scrambling than I expected. Whilst forgot how strange playing a course never played before was, not knowing lines or greens is a pain.

 

Broke 80, hit some very good shots and at no point did I get frustrated at myself or the game of golf in general;  which was probably the biggest achievement of day!. So way more positives than negatives.

 

Not sure it would make me rush out or want to play again. I do fear the frustrations would return quickly with regular play. Easy to put bad shots down to rustiness as opposed to just being shit, if don’t play much!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Played for the first time in over 2 years today, after falling completely out of love with game. 

 

The round was up and down, as should be expected, as never even hit golf ball prior. 

 

I forgot how tough the the game was.

 

Driving the ball felt really weird. Which used to be my strength, really struggled to get beyond 300yards. Though I did win me a prize for long drive. 

 

I normally draw the ball and rarely managed to bring it back all day. Just really struggled to get the hands moving through the ball as result felt was just concentrating on making sure in play which wasn’t all that easy. Though started and finished with the same ball, albeit spotter helped a couple of times. 

 

Iron work outside of 100yards was very decent considering time away. However, inside 100 yards was a joke either a mile too long or just absolutely fluffed it because got the fear and decelerated. It got stage where purposely leaving longer shots into greens.

 

My putting was good ,a few putts apart, that just completely misjudged pace or line and once putted off green from a monster putt with stupid pin position. However, didn’t leave many out there and don’t think missed anything inside 10ft and sunk a very nice 30ft on final hole to scramble a par. 

 

Can’t say I ever felt in the zone or the swing was there, other than mid to long irons. There was a lot more scrambling than I expected. Whilst forgot how strange playing a course never played before was, not knowing lines or greens is a pain.

 

Broke 80, hit some very good shots and at no point did I get frustrated at myself or the game of golf in general;  which was probably the biggest achievement of day!. So way more positives than negatives.

 

Not sure it would make me rush out or want to play again. I do fear the frustrations would return quickly with regular play. Easy to put bad shots down to rustiness as opposed to just being shit, if don’t play much!

 

 

Sounds like you did quite well.     It's not that unusual to play quite well,   albeit erratic,   after a long time away.     

 

The bad news is that the 2nd game is normally a backwards step.    Your challenge is to buck the trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord BJ
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

Sounds like you did quite well.     It's not that unusual to play quite well,   albeit erratic,   after a long time away.     

 

The bad news is that the 2nd game is normally a backwards step.    Your challenge is to buck the trend.

 

I remember that😕

 

I cant make my mind up if want to get back into it or not. I just remember it frustrating the hell out me prior to my break. However, I played with a couple of nice people today, weather was good, seen some nice views, walked a few miles in the fresh air and did hit some good shots; certainly had a lot worse days! 

 

Just scared it frustrates the hell out of me again. 

 

I could give it a bit of time just now, practice and play, and probably get really low. However, just want to go out and enjoy the game and have a bit of fun with it, 

 

Away to sunny clones in a few weeks, think will maybe hire a set and give a bash to test water again. I remember golf in sunshine being very enjoyable, 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

 

I remember that😕

 

I cant make my mind up if want to get back into it or not. I just remember it frustrating the hell out me prior to my break. However, I played with a couple of nice people today, weather was good, seen some nice views, walked a few miles in the fresh air and did hit some good shots; certainly had a lot worse days! 

 

Just scared it frustrates the hell out of me again. 

 

I could give it a bit of time just now, practice and play, and probably get really low. However, just want to go out and enjoy the game and have a bit of fun with it, 

 

Away to sunny clones in a few weeks, think will maybe hire a set and give a bash to test water again. I remember golf in sunshine being very enjoyable, 

 

 

 

You obviously have a competitive instinct or demands on yourself to have high standards.     Golf is a cruel mistress for those with these traits.     The ones who truly enjoy golf are those who can completely switch off.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord BJ
Just now, Victorian said:

 

You obviously have a competitive instinct or demands on yourself to have high standards.     Golf is a cruel mistress for those with these traits.     The ones who truly enjoy golf are those who can completely switch off.      

 

Yeah you’ve pretty much nailed it. 

 

I’m trying to develop the skills of truly shutting off. Any tips much appreciated lol. 

 

I need to learn to enjoy the shot as opposed to the score 🤷🏻‍♂️

 

Ohh and when did remote control trollies become a thing? Two guys played with had golf trollies followed then  about. They just pressed a button and it followed them. Seemed to know where the green was etc to stop! 

 

Beats carrying I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
12 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

 

Yeah you’ve pretty much nailed it. 

 

I’m trying to develop the skills of truly shutting off. Any tips much appreciated lol. 

 

I need to learn to enjoy the shot as opposed to the score 🤷🏻‍♂️

 

Ohh and when did remote control trollies become a thing? Two guys played with had golf trollies followed then  about. They just pressed a button and it followed them. Seemed to know where the green was etc to stop! 

 

Beats carrying I guess.

 

I'm no help.   I don't do meaningless golf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin
14 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Played for the first time in over 2 years today, after falling completely out of love with game. 

 

The round was up and down, as should be expected, as never even hit golf ball prior. 

 

I forgot how tough the the game was.

 

Driving the ball felt really weird. Which used to be my strength, really struggled to get beyond 300yards. Though I did win me a prize for long drive. 

 

I normally draw the ball and rarely managed to bring it back all day. Just really struggled to get the hands moving through the ball as result felt was just concentrating on making sure in play which wasn’t all that easy. Though started and finished with the same ball, albeit spotter helped a couple of times. 

 

Iron work outside of 100yards was very decent considering time away. However, inside 100 yards was a joke either a mile too long or just absolutely fluffed it because got the fear and decelerated. It got stage where purposely leaving longer shots into greens.

 

My putting was good ,a few putts apart, that just completely misjudged pace or line and once putted off green from a monster putt with stupid pin position. However, didn’t leave many out there and don’t think missed anything inside 10ft and sunk a very nice 30ft on final hole to scramble a par. 

 

Can’t say I ever felt in the zone or the swing was there, other than mid to long irons. There was a lot more scrambling than I expected. Whilst forgot how strange playing a course never played before was, not knowing lines or greens is a pain.

 

Broke 80, hit some very good shots and at no point did I get frustrated at myself or the game of golf in general;  which was probably the biggest achievement of day!. So way more positives than negatives.

 

Not sure it would make me rush out or want to play again. I do fear the frustrations would return quickly with regular play. Easy to put bad shots down to rustiness as opposed to just being shit, if don’t play much!

 

 

After 2 years out you're still playing at a level the vast majority of golfers can only dream of. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

 

After 2 years out you're still playing at a level the vast majority of golfers can only dream of. :lol: 

 

Really struggled to get beyond 300 yards...

 

I think you'll join me in this RG... :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Armageddon

I had a lesson at St Andrews a couple of weeks back, I play off 6.8 but always feel like I swing it terribly, my short game papers over the cracks of a terrible long game.

 

Three things to work on and I have hit hundreds of balls these last 2 weeks trying to make it feel natural.

 

1 - Poor balance.  I was 80% on my toes and standing on the balance mat was eye opening to say the least, this meant I was standing up on the back swing and on the downswing it was all about luck as to where I returned to at impact.

2 - Poor take away.  When I took the club away it was like I was driving a car and turning the wheel to the right, rolling the hand and shoulders open on the inside.  Now when I take away I try to feel as if I'm turning the steering wheel to the left.

3 - Position at impact.  My weight wasn't fully on my left side, I was holding back due to poor hip rotation (from poor balance and take away)

 

I've honestly hit 100's of full wedges and my ball striking is now night and day, feels terrible with a drover in the hand, but I'm confident it will get there.

 

£70 for the hour, but this is the best I've ever felt and I could really understand what he was telling me.  I've been to David Burns before in Linlithgow and this was night and day above hie default of hitting a draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin
17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Really struggled to get beyond 300 yards...

 

I think you'll join me in this RG... :rofl:

 

:lol: Only the top 50 players on the PGA Tour average over 300 yards. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord BJ
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

 

After 2 years out you're still playing at a level the vast majority of golfers can only dream of. :lol: 

 

I was +handicap and a very good golfer in my younger days. So it is all relative.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Armageddon
On 09/09/2019 at 16:21, Ray Gin said:

One of my mates has taken golf back up this year and been playing a lot recently. He has taken to proudly claiming over whatsapp to have shot some brilliant scores (considering he's just been playing a few months) whenever playing on his own.

 

I'm off 17 and still haven't shot better than 85 at our course. He claims he shot an 88, 87 and 83 last week. Any time he plays with anyone else he's around 100+. He shot 105 when he played with me and another friend yesterday, I was an 89. He seemingly shot an 88 today though on his own again. :lol: 

 

Either the biggest bottler ever with an audience, or telling porkies. Anyone else know someone like this?

 

 

16 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Played for the first time in over 2 years today, after falling completely out of love with game. 

 

The round was up and down, as should be expected, as never even hit golf ball prior. 

 

I forgot how tough the the game was.

 

Driving the ball felt really weird. Which used to be my strength, really struggled to get beyond 300yards. Though I did win me a prize for long drive. 

 

I normally draw the ball and rarely managed to bring it back all day. Just really struggled to get the hands moving through the ball as result felt was just concentrating on making sure in play which wasn’t all that easy. Though started and finished with the same ball, albeit spotter helped a couple of times. 

 

Iron work outside of 100yards was very decent considering time away. However, inside 100 yards was a joke either a mile too long or just absolutely fluffed it because got the fear and decelerated. It got stage where purposely leaving longer shots into greens.

 

My putting was good ,a few putts apart, that just completely misjudged pace or line and once putted off green from a monster putt with stupid pin position. However, didn’t leave many out there and don’t think missed anything inside 10ft and sunk a very nice 30ft on final hole to scramble a par. 

 

Can’t say I ever felt in the zone or the swing was there, other than mid to long irons. There was a lot more scrambling than I expected. Whilst forgot how strange playing a course never played before was, not knowing lines or greens is a pain.

 

Broke 80, hit some very good shots and at no point did I get frustrated at myself or the game of golf in general;  which was probably the biggest achievement of day!. So way more positives than negatives.

 

Not sure it would make me rush out or want to play again. I do fear the frustrations would return quickly with regular play. Easy to put bad shots down to rustiness as opposed to just being shit, if don’t play much!

 

 

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

 

:lol: Only the top 50 players on the PGA Tour average over 300 yards. 

 

 

 

Only drives it over 300+ yards when playing on his own :)  220 yards when with his mates!!!

 

We had a mate who was always claiming over 300y drives, we ended up playing at Barassie in Ayrshire .... WOW, he was 250 max and all over the place.  People don't hit the ball as far as they think, down hill and wind behind don't count!

 

My son tracked a drive at 322 yards 3 months after his 11th birthday, Gleneagles Queens Course, I think it's the 12th, he hits a half decent ball but it bounces miles in the air and catches the huge down slope the argument has always been "that doesn't count pal" v his "but how did it get there? By me hitting it there"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord BJ
8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

 

:lol: Only the top 50 players on the PGA Tour average over 300 yards. 

 

 

With a wind it’s not really that difficult, particulary yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin

I've hit 327 (according to my app) before on a mega-dry day on the 6th at Carricknowe. Caught it sweet as **** but it was definitely running a good 20 yards more than usual on the hard ground. 

Most are in the 240-270 range. I do get the odd one around the 300 mark but it's definitely a cause for celebration rather than an expectation. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I had a lesson at St Andrews a couple of weeks back, I play off 6.8 but always feel like I swing it terribly, my short game papers over the cracks of a terrible long game.

 

Three things to work on and I have hit hundreds of balls these last 2 weeks trying to make it feel natural.

 

1 - Poor balance.  I was 80% on my toes and standing on the balance mat was eye opening to say the least, this meant I was standing up on the back swing and on the downswing it was all about luck as to where I returned to at impact.

2 - Poor take away.  When I took the club away it was like I was driving a car and turning the wheel to the right, rolling the hand and shoulders open on the inside.  Now when I take away I try to feel as if I'm turning the steering wheel to the left.

3 - Position at impact.  My weight wasn't fully on my left side, I was holding back due to poor hip rotation (from poor balance and take away)

 

I've honestly hit 100's of full wedges and my ball striking is now night and day, feels terrible with a drover in the hand, but I'm confident it will get there.

 

£70 for the hour, but this is the best I've ever felt and I could really understand what he was telling me.  I've been to David Burns before in Linlithgow and this was night and day above hie default of hitting a draw.

 

Sounds good.    Getting a few basics of that description sorted out is likely to be beneficial.      Lessons are great in these circumstances when there's fundamental stance and set-up things needing ironed out.     Sounds like the sort of fixes that will pay dividends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Armageddon
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

Sounds good.    Getting a few basics of that description sorted out is likely to be beneficial.      Lessons are great in these circumstances when there's fundamental stance and set-up things needing ironed out.     Sounds like the sort of fixes that will pay dividends.

 

I was really chuffed ... then i realised - Balance, take away, impact ... bar the grip and ball position it's really everything! Haha I was gutted at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

 

I was really chuffed ... then i realised - Balance, take away, impact ... bar the grip and ball position it's really everything! Haha I was gutted at that point.

 

There's all the stuff that players can easily get right themselves,   if they happen to notice a flaw or someone else does.   Stance,  allignment of feet,  hips and shoulders,   posture,   weight distribution and transfer,   swing tempo,   clubhead address.    Even the grip is something that a player can experiment with.     There's not an awful lot that remains the sole preserve of the pricey teaching pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
54 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I've hit 327 (according to my app) before on a mega-dry day on the 6th at Carricknowe. Caught it sweet as **** but it was definitely running a good 20 yards more than usual on the hard ground. 

Most are in the 240-270 range. I do get the odd one around the 300 mark but it's definitely a cause for celebration rather than an expectation. :D 

 

My average is 228 yards. A system like Game Golf is ideal for knowing your distances, it also eliminates those mega long drives and duffers so you know it's a true reflection.

 

My longest was 316 at Lundin Links last summer. Right at the height of that dry spell and a 20mph wind behind. My longest "true" drive (benign conditions on a flat hole) is 272 yards but those are rare. I usually bank on 220-230.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

I couldn't give a forking flamingo.    Every day is different.

 

(Said the very modest hitter).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Irufushi

300 a good old dig. I get it out there around 280. Last summer I had a few 330 ones around Forres in dry downwind conditions. Strolling down the fairway like vince McMahon so I was 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Hearts

A high 'fairways hit' percentage is far more meaningful to me than hitting the odd drive 300+ yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
1 hour ago, Old Hearts said:

A high 'fairways hit' percentage is far more meaningful to me than hitting the odd drive 300+ yards.

 

Not necessarily.    Depends on the severity of the missed fairways.    Lying well in the semi... ok.     Dobbed it in the boonies... bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

300 a good old dig. I get it out there around 280. Last summer I had a few 330 ones around Forres in dry downwind conditions. Strolling down the fairway like vince McMahon so I was 😂

I've had that strut a few times. Often followed by resembling a Hibbee leaving Hampden on 19th May once I've taken 3 (or 4) from inside 50 yards! 

 

I have stretched one out beyond 400 yards before. Those who played the 14th at Lothianburn will know all about it. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
17 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've had that strut a few times. Often followed by resembling a Hibbee leaving Hampden on 19th May once I've taken 3 (or 4) from inside 50 yards! 

 

I have stretched one out beyond 400 yards before. Those who played the 14th at Lothianburn will know all about it. 😄

 

:D   Think you might have had a hand from gravity there.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Hearts
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

 

Not necessarily.    Depends on the severity of the missed fairways.    Lying well in the semi... ok.     Dobbed it in the boonies... bad.

Yes, but you can't always rely on the ball reacting well from the semi-rough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown

Played in the Elie open last month.

Young playing partner off 5.

He eventually took driver at 8 and hit an awesome 330 yarder.

Same again at 12. Incredible sight.

Put it in the clubhouse grounds at 18 :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
20 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Yes, but you can't always rely on the ball reacting well from the semi-rough. 

 

Indeedy.     Nothing can be taken for granted.     Sometimes a fluffy lie can hinder control on an approach but other times it can be very helpful.    Some fairways can feature a gathering zone where lots of drives come to rest,   resulting in a concentration of divots.    Hitting the fairway itself can be a bit Russian Roulette on these kind of holes.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

 

:D   Think you might have had a hand from gravity there.      

Just shame it doesn't exist anymore. I don't know if that part of the land is used for quad biking etc or just a grazing patch for sheep now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Just shame it doesn't exist anymore. I don't know if that part of the land is used for quad biking etc or just a grazing patch for sheep now. 

 

I think the Swanston club took over a couple of holes over that side.    The 14th bordered Hillend on the south side.  I had heard about some kind of adventure centre being involved or similar use.     

 

Lothianburn had a great finishing stretch from the 14th - in.      It was a bit of a trek to get round to the 10th and then 11 - 13 was a further trudge.    14 in was the best bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...