Dexter

innerjambo

periodictabledancer

We signed a guy who's only recently signed his first major contract and has virtually zero first team experience. Why anyone could think this is a good idea is beyond me. No point in getting on the lads back. 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chuck Berry

• Pasquale for King

• kingantti1874

• ShedBoy

boag1874
10 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

As a winger. He ain't a right back or wingback. Be to expensive, so big no for me.

I think he could be with a bit more practice. Like I said I wouldn’t break the bank but if the opportunity to keep him permanently came up I wouldn’t be upset if we took it 

Ricardo Quaresma
10 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I agree.  It was a well-placed shot.

That's exactly the phrase I had in mind

Of course it looked good, but a striker sees that as a simple curl towards the far post

Gundermann

Just watched highlights. Didn't see how bad Dexter was yesterday for their goal but that's unforgiveable. He kind of puts in a half-assed challenge then just saunters back and watches on as Watkins takes his time to curl in a pearler. Young or not, you just don't do that FFS.

That said, we rode our luck a few times with Kille's chances so a draw probably fair.

Nelly Terraces

Infuriating player. Looked great for half an hour yesterday then went to pieces, mind you so did the lot of them. 

The only reason Atkinson, who is dreadful, came on isn't 'cos he's any good, it's just Dexter was poor. Not a great situation to be in really - swapping 1 poor player for another.

Threedoorsdown
57 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

We signed a guy who's only recently signed his first major contract and has virtually zero first team experience. Why anyone could think this is a good idea is beyond me. No point in getting on the lads back. 

Cochrane only really had seven professional appearance over in Belgium and is a cracking piece of business so far by the club. Dexter had 25 games in the championship in England, hardly no experience?

Why anyone posts nonsense like you have and stand by it as fact is beyond me.

Chuck Berry
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

When did he play in the Champions league? Cumdog played in the WC ffs.

FFS

Chuck Berry
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Playing in a World Cup finals is as much to do with which country you are fortunate / unfortunate to represent whereas playing in the best league in the world isn’t.  You can be the best player in the world but never play in a World Cup.  Dexter has already been signed and played for a club who are in the best league in the world but I’m quite confident Atkinson never will be.  

Who cares. A statement was made which I answered, the World Cup is the greatest/largest football competition on earth, it's not even up for debate, and Atkinson has played in it, Dexter hasn't.   I'm not Atkinson's biggest fan either and I think we need a new RB, but to use Atkinson to defends Dexter's performance yesterday is typical JKB.  I'm out.

Edited by Chuck Berry

ScottieMac17
1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Just watched highlights. Didn't see how bad Dexter was yesterday for their goal but that's unforgiveable. He kind of puts in a half-assed challenge then just saunters back and watches on as Watkins takes his time to curl in a pearler. Young or not, you just don't do that FFS.

That said, we rode our luck a few times with Kille's chances so a draw probably fair.

The frustrating thing for me was, the whole stadium could see that Dexter was struggling and killi had started targeting him with most of there attacks, but Naismith waited until they had scored to make changes and Dexter lasted until 80mins when he should have been off at about 50mins. 

I thought it was silly stubbornness from Naismith (shadows of Neilson yesterday), I think if we took him off earlier they probably wouldn't have scored and we would have got a second. 

Edited by ScottieMac17

When 3rd is secured I would hope to see Forrester get a chance in that place.

Dexter is a stop gap 

kingantti1874
35 minutes ago, Rods said:

When 3rd is secured I would hope to see Forrester get a chance in that place.

Dexter is a stop gap 

I was going to say anyone from the B’s? He decent? 

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Who cares. A statement was made which I answered, the World Cup is the greatest/largest football competition on earth, it's not even up for debate, and Atkinson has played in it, Dexter hasn't.   I'm not Atkinson's biggest fan either and I think we need a new RB, but to use Atkinson to defends Dexter's performance yesterday is typical JKB.  I'm out.

Yes the World Cup absolutely is the biggest football show on earth but it is also filled with dross teams and some dross players.  The Champions League is a better standard and the best players all play in it, unlike the World Cup (Haaland, Best, Giggs, Southall not a World Cup appearance between them but Cumdog, Atkinson, Jackson Irvine all have) so it’s not a great guide of the standard of player.  

As for Atkinson and Dexter, they’re both pish and I couldn’t really care which one of them plays, I just want someone better in for next season and I’m pretty confident that will happen. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I was going to say anyone from the B’s? He decent? 

I have only heard good things rather than know for a fact he is decent.

I would imagine Naisy would know.

Also can he be any worse than Dexter or Natty? 

Ex member of the SaS

Dexter was brill when he first came but is being played in the wrong position. He is no defender that is obvious and this harps back to earlier posts, we need a RB desperately! Some great signings so far but RB is a position we have been crying out for for a number of seasons now. How the management team can't or doesn't see this as a priority I can't understand.

With the new players coming in I can't see a place for Dexter but maybe cover is enough to keep him ( just don't play him in the RB position )

jr ewing
14 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Dexter was brill when he first came but is being played in the wrong position. He is no defender that is obvious and this harps back to earlier posts, we need a RB desperately! Some great signings so far but RB is a position we have been crying out for for a number of seasons now. How the management team can't or doesn't see this as a priority I can't understand.

With the new players coming in I can't see a place for Dexter but maybe cover is enough to keep him ( just don't play him in the RB position )

3 years in the waiting. 

lost in space
5 hours ago, HoGwash said:

The one that isn't playing. 

👏 👏 

Deodato

When you watch the Killie goal, Lembikisa's marking is awful - he's turned and then drifts wide - what a dumb ass. 

If your turned, you've got to get back and cover the angle asap - school boy tactics. Drifting wide - that Killie player could have put the kettle on before lining up that shot. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/30998/13104828/hearts-1-1-kilmarnock-scottish-premiership-highlights

johnking123
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

We need at least one RB that is a strong defender. 

Especially if playing 4 at the back. Need another Smith!

davemclaren
Just now, johnking123 said:

Especially if playing 4 at the back. Need another Smith!

Yip. 

brawlad74

Sadly Dexter has gone backwards after promising start. Natty should be starting for me and probably would have yesterday if it wasn't for travel back after Aussie games. A new RB is essential in summer. 

Defensively he’s awful. Takes no responsibility and second half he reverted to just lashing the ball anywhere each time in came near him.

I know he’s open to extending the loan deal, I’d hope we aren’t as keen.

Perhaps if we played him as a winger I’d consider it

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

FFS

The Champions League is the highest level of football, any old duffer can play in the World Cup.

Australia are a poor team and filling our squad with their players wont help us progress..

Pasquale for King

We have needed an actual wing back on both sides for years, but they can’t usually defend well, playing him in a 4 really does him no favours. What is the options though?

Three internationals have played there recently and none of them nailed down the spot, says all you need to know. 

Bull's-eye

Decent player with a good 1st touch. Left very isolated in our system and will always be subject to the usual vitriol from the booboys.

Played ok yesterday, plenty of the ball & doesn't hide. He may stay he may go, we'll see.

11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The Champions League is the highest level of football, any old duffer can play in the World Cup.

Australia are a poor team and filling our squad with their players wont help us progress..

Champions league has a lot of dross in the group stages. 

You’ve been duped by the marketing. 

Kennedy did get a high percentage of his crosses in yesterday. Seemed to be able to get a yard over Dexter and whip them in easily at times.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Rods said:

Depends on your definition of dross. Would fancy our chances of keeping any game below 5 zip tbh against any team, and in a lot we’d genuinely be at risk of double figure smashings 

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Depends on your definition of dross. Would fancy our chances of keeping any game below 5 zip tbh against any team, and in a lot we’d genuinely be at risk of double figure smashings 

Some of the teams that have made the group stages over the years I would say are equivalent of Australia making the groups in the World Cup. 

Edit

Just looked at this years group stages 2 teams in there we have beaten in recent years.

Zagreb one we never qualified but still won at Tynecastle.

Edited by Rods

Fozzyonthefence
58 minutes ago, Rods said:

Yes it does but not as much dross as the World Cup group stages.  I can understand the reasoning but there really should be more European teams qualify.  Farcical that 60% of the South American countries get to play at the World Cup finals when loads of good European teams miss out (including the European champions). 

Pans Jambo

Not good enough. Our club needs WAYYYY better that what he has shown so far. Send him back at the end of the season IMO. Not had a proper RB since Smith left FFS! 

Edited by Pans Jambo

jr ewing
1 hour ago, Serge said:

Kennedy did get a high percentage of his crosses in yesterday. Seemed to be able to get a yard over Dexter and whip them in easily at times.

Hes limited in the air. Definitely need a right back even if he stays. 

Jambo61
23 hours ago, innerjambo said:

I loved this guy when he first arrived, he was confident, energetic, took players on, and terrorised the opposition defence. 

He's young, and there is obvious talent there, but he has his moments and gets caught in possession a fair bit, and his defending is very poor at times. 

He obviously likes being here, so interested on other views and thoughts?

Yesterday at times he wandered about up front as if a winger or inside forward. I'll assume he was told to but it seemed very weird? Defence seems an after thought!

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We'll agree to disagree on that.  Ask any player in the world, and they'll want to play in a World Cup Finals.  Always has been and always will be.  Champions League is just another club match that comes round every year, in Europe.

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, Rods said:

This

naeclue

We've been able to bring players on a fair bit this season, so if Hearts see something in Dexter, he seems happy to stay.  I'm happy to bow to the wisdom of our coaching staff.

I did notice Danny Armstrong spending a bit of time with our coaching staff at the end of the match.  He'd be great!

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

We'll agree to disagree on that.  Ask any player in the world, and they'll want to play in a World Cup Finals.  Always has been and always will be.  Champions League is just another club match that comes round every year, in Europe.

Maybe in the past but not these days, rightly or wrongly playing in the CL is the ambition for most top level players. Only guys that aren’t good enough to play in for CL teams see the WC as their pinnacle. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Rods said:

It hasn’t been great, the WC wasn’t exactly riveting either. 
The four semi final teams every year would easily beat the last four WC sides. 
The best players play CL football, not the WC, thats a fact not marketing. 

Chuck Berry
21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe in the past but not these days, rightly or wrongly playing in the CL is the ambition for most top level players. Only guys that aren’t good enough to play in for CL teams see the WC as their pinnacle. 

I don't think it is, a tournament held once every 4 years which is the biggest sporting even on earth and only 32 teams qualify (until FIFA **** it with 48).  It's the pinnacle.  I'm sure Messi would have swapped any of his honours to hold the World Cup.

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

I don't think it is, a tournament held once every 4 years which is the biggest sporting even on earth and only 32 teams qualify (until FIFA **** it with 48).  It's the pinnacle.  I'm sure Messi would have swapped any of his honours to hold the World Cup.

Winning the thing is a completely different argument from playing in the tournament. 
The WC just isn’t what it used to be is my argument, you agree with that, the CL has superseded it now. 

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Winning the thing is a completely different argument from playing in the tournament. 
The WC just isn’t what it used to be is my argument, you agree with that, the CL has superseded it now. 

For me Champions League is completely meh until the semis, the World Cup holds my attention from the get go, and is a worldwide event played once every 4 years, the worlds biggest sporting event that every player wants to be part of, never mind win.  48 teams perhaps diminishes it slightly for us traditionalists but it remains pretty true to its roots.  Meanwhile the Champions League used to be good when it was the European Champion Clubs Cup straight knockout, it's now so far away from that it's unrecognisable, just a vehicle to pump more money to the top clubs.

However playing in a World Cup Finals is a higher level than a Champions League match, and Dexter will likely play in neither unless he holds down a Jamaica spot and they qualify at some point in the future. Atkinson has played in a World Cup.

That was my only point to ShedBoy.

I still think we need a new RB next season, and Atkinson holds the shirt until then IMO.  Rotherham fans weren't very complimentary about Dexter's defensive abilities, and after yesterday I can now see why, sadly.

14 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Put him in the taxi South with Fraser.

100% spot on.  A couple of duds.  Empty at the first opportunity.

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

We need at least one RB that is a strong defender. 

Particularly in Europe , if we have aspirations to win a few games !

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

For me Champions League is completely meh until the semis, the World Cup holds my attention from the get go, and is a worldwide event played once every 4 years, the worlds biggest sporting event that every player wants to be part of, never mind win.  48 teams perhaps diminishes it slightly for us traditionalists but it remains pretty true to its roots.  Meanwhile the Champions League used to be good when it was the European Champion Clubs Cup straight knockout, it's now so far away from that it's unrecognisable, just a vehicle to pump more money to the top clubs.

However playing in a World Cup Finals is a higher level than a Champions League match, and Dexter will likely play in neither unless he holds down a Jamaica spot and they qualify at some point in the future. Atkinson has played in a World Cup.

That was my only point to ShedBoy.

I still think we need a new RB next season, and Atkinson holds the shirt until then IMO.  Rotherham fans weren't very complimentary about Dexter's defensive abilities, and after yesterday I can now see why, sadly.

How can a match where Cumdog plays be a higher level than one where the very top players are involved? 
The WC used to be the biggest deal in football but It’s not anymore, the game has moved on in many ways whether people like that or not thats a fact. 

Atkinson was dropped for a reason, hes not a great defender and he hasn’t created one goal this season, think he had about two assists last season. Dexter at least can create and obviously score. Maybe both should start with Vargas up top. 
We really need a starting RB and a young understudy, whether thats a one of our youngsters or not. 

Lambert Simnel

I'm late to this topic. Is the argument that Lembikisa has only won the Champions League, while Atkinson has won the World Cup? Or is it vice versa? I guess I'm easily confused...

If we're playing a back four in the semi-final, I think I'd go with Sibbick instead as RB, despite his madness at Ross County (and on a few other occasions, to be fair). 

Chuck Berry
55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How can a match where Cumdog plays be a higher level than one where the very top players are involved? 
The WC used to be the biggest deal in football but It’s not anymore, the game has moved on in many ways whether people like that or not thats a fact. 

Atkinson was dropped for a reason, hes not a great defender and he hasn’t created one goal this season, think he had about two assists last season. Dexter at least can create and obviously score. Maybe both should start with Vargas up top. 
We really need a starting RB and a young understudy, whether thats a one of our youngsters or not. 

Of course it's the biggest deal in football and it's utterly ridiculous to suggest otherwise 😂

Atkinson wasn't dropped, he was called-up to play in the finals of the AFC Cup during January and we needed cover. Sibbick filled in at Livvy and then Dexter arrived for the Spartans game.

Chuck Berry
50 minutes ago, Lambert Simnel said:

I'm late to this topic. Is the argument that Lembikisa has only won the Champions League, while Atkinson has won the World Cup? Or is it vice versa? I guess I'm easily confused...

Pretty much.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Of course it's the biggest deal in football and it's utterly ridiculous to suggest otherwise 😂

Atkinson wasn't dropped, he was called-up to play in the finals of the AFC Cup during January and we needed cover. Sibbick filled in at Livvy and then Dexter arrived for the Spartans game.

He started against Ross County and was dropped on Saturday.