*** official Rangers v Heart of Midlothian match day thread ***

Selkirkhmfc1874

tiger Rudi
5 hours ago, merrymac said:

My only worry with Cammy starting would be he has only had less than 45 mins in the last three months, in what will probably be a fast paced game. Might be better to hold him back, for the second half to protect our lead :whistling:

He's also very likely to get booked early on, leaving us a man down. This is not the game to bring him back. Hoff does his share of winning back possession.... legally. Why would anyone want him dropped? 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Bazzas right boot

tiger Rudi
55 minutes ago, sjh1874 said:

Any reason why the Hof who has been sublime of late is left out? Yet Cammy just back is in! Sorry not for me

Agreed! 

Hearts1975
6 hours ago, sjh1874 said:

Any reason why the Hof who has been sublime of late is left out? Yet Cammy just back is in! Sorry not for me

I posted later in the thread the reason why, but it might very well be the wrong call. Just my opinion.  

100% tactical, and definetly no slight on the Hoff, who, as you said, has been excellent recently 

JimmyCant
12 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

He's also very likely to get booked early on, leaving us a man down. This is not the game to bring him back. Hoff does his share of winning back possession.... legally. Why would anyone want him dropped? 

I’d imagine we’ll spend the first half trying to minimise their dangerous possession. Might mean we play a ball winning midfield of Beni, Hoff Devlin with the wing backs stopping theirs. Stay in the game until the last 30 minutes, something we’ve evolved as a tactic and bring in a bit of pace and width to see if we can pinch it (or we might just stick with caution if we’re comfortable in the game and happy with a point)

Edited by JimmyCant

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

I know the officials will try anything,  but sending him off when he's booked is probably a step too far.

Thunder and Lightning

I will bet on Rangers to win, that's a sure fire way to ensure we get the points. 😀

pettigrewsstylist
16 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Rangers have four outlets on the ball,Tavernier,Lundstram, Diomande,Cantwell,stop them you stop Rangers.

Cantwell got skelped at Perth. Heres hoping it is niggling him 😁

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d imagine we’ll spend the first half trying to minimise their dangerous possession. Might mean we play a ball winning midfield of Beni, Hoff Devlin with the wing backs stopping theirs. Stay in the game until the last 30 minutes, something we’ve evolved as a tactic and bring in a bit of pace and width to see if we can pinch it (or we might just stick with caution if we’re comfortable in the game and happy with a point)

As much as i like him, i worry about that midfield, catching Beni dreaming on the ball.

Sadly due to our ridiculous league set up where you have to play them both four times each in a good season , I think this is where the dream dies . A shame though and who knows we might actually beat both of the cheeks away in the same season but ……….. seems unlikely 

On 18/02/2024 at 20:09, gnasher75 said:

A different pressure on Rangers now, having been trying to catch up with Celtic all season they are now trying to protect their lead.  Will be interesting to see how they cope with that.

The big difference for Hearts now compared to other games against Rangers in recent years is that we don't just have a decent starting team but loads of really good options on the bench - players with confidence and a hunger to play - and a manager who knows how to change things to make a positive difference during the game.

Given the abuse he gets through there, I'd love to see Naismith getting the win.  And obviously Shankland to score the winner.

All of this.

On 18/02/2024 at 20:09, gnasher75 said:

A different pressure on Rangers now, having been trying to catch up with Celtic all season they are now trying to protect their lead.  Will be interesting to see how they cope with that.

The big difference for Hearts now compared to other games against Rangers in recent years is that we don't just have a decent starting team but loads of really good options on the bench - players with confidence and a hunger to play - and a manager who knows how to change things to make a positive difference during the game.

Given the abuse he gets through there, I'd love to see Naismith getting the win.  And obviously Shankland to score the winner.

All of this twice.:walk_man:

Edited by Jamdub

11 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

My heart says a win but got a feeling its going to be a 1-1 draw, be a tough game.

Draw would still be a good result. Can definitely see us scoring at least 1. A rare first half goal by Mr Vargas.

Selkirkhmfc1874
19 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

My heart says a win but got a feeling its going to be a 1-1 draw, be a tough game.

Would take that right now

Horatio Caine

Would love to see an end to all the negative posts on matchday. Fed up with people complaining when we don't hit the ground running

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I wonder when, if ever, the 2 sides have met on such a run of form, we have done a lot of hard work up to this point, we can go there with confidence in our methods and process. No disgrace if we fail, so long as we keep doing what we have since the disaster of a 2nd half at Pittodrie. No coincidence how good our 2nd half performances have been since.

Win, lose, draw we are still in some sort of no mans land, people dont like the phrase free hit, nor do I really, but this is as close as it comes to accuracy.

17 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Would love to see an end to all the negative posts on matchday. Fed up with people complaining when we don't hit the ground running

This is a game where I'm not worried in the slightest about Hearts coming out and making a fast start.

We should be focused, composed and disciplined. Picking our moments carefully. Losing an early goal at Ibrox is a death sentence.

We don't need to create loads of opportunities. Just make the ones we do create count.

Bazzas right boot

3-0 Rangers, this is where our midfield gets over run. 

Or the Gorgie Juggernaut brings the Gorgie thunder to Govan and we stick one up them.

Getting papped  or winning, neither would surprise me.

pettigrewsstylist

Can see Natty starting this, so that him and Cochrane can deny space and also tuck in to narrow the pitch if things are getting on top of us at any moment. Lot of early yellows for us, to ensure we cannot compete too much.

Varags pace from start could be an idea, to stop them sending too many forward.

I think its gonna be tough but if everyone turns up and keeps focused throughout there could be a point in this :)

The Old Tolbooth

I was feeling quietly confident about this game, and the Rangers a point their own little pet boaby tugger in the shape of Nick Walsh, and you just know what happens next!   

Scottish football is so ****ing corrupt!! 

I think some sort of 532 might be the best formation. 

Zander

Atkinson Kingsley Kent Rowles Cochrane

Beni Hoff Grant

Shankland Forrest

Grant did so well against Celtic at Celtic park. Hoping he can repeat that feat! Don't think its the sort of game for passengers, and I think similarly Forrests workrate will be extremely needed. 

Interested to see how Naismith sets us up. Weirdly I'm not dreading the game, I think it will be a good acid test on where we are under him. Yes, the odds are against us but it will likely give him some real adversity in terms of a tough place to go, a team with more quality and depth to it and a referee unlikely to give us anything. Get a result there and it will almost certainly raise an eyebrow of a late possible title tilt. 

If we do lose, the manner of the defeat matters. If we can push them all the way regardless of if we win or not, it will continue to give us encouragement. 

tiger Rudi
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I know the officials will try anything,  but sending him off when he's booked is probably a step too far.

Was meaning his influence on the game would all but disappear if he took an early yellow. Can't really see Devlin starting anyway after one short cameo. He's been out for a while. 

ScandinavianJambo

Vargas national coach is reported to be on his way to watch. Hopefully this will get Kenneth fired up/ready to impress 😃👍

29 minutes ago, OTT said:

Zander

Beni Hoff Grant

Shankland Forrest

Grant did so well against Celtic at Celtic park. Hoping he can repeat that feat! Don't think its the sort of game for passengers, and I think similarly Forrests workrate will be extremely needed. 

Interested to see how Naismith sets us up. Weirdly I'm not dreading the game, I think it will be a good acid test on where we are under him. Yes, the odds are against us but it will likely give him some real adversity in terms of a tough place to go, a team with more quality and depth to it and a referee unlikely to give us anything. Get a result there and it will almost certainly raise an eyebrow of a late possible title tilt. 

If we do lose, the manner of the defeat matters. If we can push them all the way regardless of if we win or not, it will continue to give us encouragement. 

I think this is the best shout as it’s the closest to one our two established successful formations. I would expect Grant to play ahead of the other two in midfield with Cochrane tucking in as and when needed to create the overloads

Watt-Zeefuik
33 minutes ago, OTT said:

Zander

Beni Hoff Grant

Shankland Forrest

Grant is the only question mark for me in that lineup and you make a good case for him. I would move Beni to the base of the midfield and have Hoff and Grant on the outside.

The wrinkle I might consider adding there is having Devlin in instead of Grant and assign him and Cochrane to harry the life out of Tavernier and force them to attack some other way. It certainly sacrifices some attacking intent but even if you just deploy it in the first half to break up their play and try to hit them on the break, it could frustrate them.

No Idle Talk
3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Is there somewhere I can sign up for this 1-1 draw you speak of?

That would be a fine result and would keep our unbeaten run going.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Grant is the only question mark for me in that lineup and you make a good case for him. I would move Beni to the base of the midfield and have Hoff and Grant on the outside.

The wrinkle I might consider adding there is having Devlin in instead of Grant and assign him and Cochrane to harry the life out of Tavernier and force them to attack some other way. It certainly sacrifices some attacking intent but even if you just deploy it in the first half to break up their play and try to hit them on the break, it could frustrate them.

Probably sensible. but I'd be tempted to stick Vargas on our left with Cochrane,  try and force Tavernier to defend more and make him think twice about bombing uo the wing.

Maybe not realistic from the start

I  remember we stuck our fast winger (guy from ict) on Tierney and Tierney never got out his own half, completely nullified him.

That was at Tynecastle tho.

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I was feeling quietly confident about this game, and the Rangers a point their own little pet boaby tugger in the shape of Nick Walsh, and you just know what happens next!   

Scottish football is so ****ing corrupt!! 

You just knew he would get slotted in for this game! Feckin stinks! 😏

1971fozzy
6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

it’s unbelievable and so obvious.  Take this to the bank - he will be desperate to send one of our players off. 100% nothing surer. 

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

it’s unbelievable and so obvious.  Take this to the bank - he will be desperate to send one of our players off. 100% nothing surer. 

Not to mention any ball in Hearts box will be forensically examined for the slightest bump or tug!

pettigrewsstylist

Greatest number of VAR checks in world history..coming right up.

pettigrewsstylist
11 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Not to mention any ball in Hearts box will be forensically examined for the slightest bump or tug!

And should we score at any time. 10 minute wait for same reasons.

King prawn
13 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

This is what I’m worried about- doing their best to get Tavenir as top scorer on penalties alone 

You know something, why don't we just do what we have been doing, which is winning, they are no great shakes and I honestly think if we score early (unlikely) and the bears get on their backs, we will win this.

We have the best team/squad that will arrive here, so let's do it.... 

Jambof3tornado
5 hours ago, Sooks said:

Sadly due to our ridiculous league set up where you have to play them both four times each in a good season , I think this is where the dream dies . A shame though and who knows we might actually beat both of the cheeks away in the same season but ……….. seems unlikely 

This,unfortunately. I'd bite your hand off for a draw right now. Closing the gap on the top 2 must 1st involve not dropping stupid points against weaker teams,winning all our home games and the bit we've definitely improved on this year,is picking up points on our travels!!

Jambof3tornado
19 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

You know something, why don't we just do what we have been doing, which is winning, they are no great shakes and I honestly think if we score early (unlikely) and the bears get on their backs, we will win this.

We have the best team/squad that will arrive here, so let's do it.... 

Problem is when they struggle they get a leg up,I've watched enough football over the years to deny being paranoid. That leg up comes in various forms,early bookings for key opposition players, time added on when its not justified and yes,free kicks and penalties that dont get given at the other end.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Needs our club to call it out if as expected decisions go the way we all expect. Maybe even a direct did at walsh if he does arse it up.

gnasher75

Interested to see what formation we go with. 

I would quite like to see something like this with Shankland having a free role at the point of a midfield diamond. Forrest and Vargas to stop their defenders from pushing forward and using their pace on the break.

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley 

Beni 

Nieuwenhof  Devlin

Shankland

Vargas  Forrest

But I expect we will go with a back 3 to try to keep it tight. Not a huge fan of Fraser so far but wouldn't be surprised to see him in the team:

Clark

Kingsley Rowles Kent

Atkinson                        Cochrane 

Beni Nieuwenhof 

Fraser 

Shankland Forrest

With that option, we have Devlin, Tait, Oda, Vargas and Grant all to come on to give us energy and drive in the second half.

Clarke, Gordon. 

Dexter, Natty, Cochrane, Kingsley, Rowles, Kent, Halkett, Sibbick. 

Beni, Hof, Devlin, Grant, Fraser, Tait. 

Forrest, Vargas, Shankland, Oda. 

I'd go 532 again.   It's worked well before. 

Clarke 

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Natty Hof Beni Grant Cochrane

Shankland Forrest

It worked against Celtic.  Except Hof for Denholm this time. 

Maybe a tough call for last picked between Halkett, Denholm, Sibbick and Tagawa. 

I'd take a draw just to keep the run going. 

🤷‍♂️

Rocky jamboa

I'd go 4231. Just play the way we've been playing. Why change a winning formula?? 

Hopefully no mistakes from us, no dodgy refereeing decisions, play the way we have been, and we've got a chance. 

We are playing as well as them

Have a go this is a nothing game for us 

Actually think we will get something here they ain’t that good. 

Show no respect get into them hearts 

The Old Tolbooth
17 hours ago, Thomaso said:

They never fail with it mate, it’s either Walsh or Beaton for the Huns games, or Clancy or Collum for the great unwashed, it stinks! 

I dont think we should change our formation just because its Rangers. The only thing I'd change if anything is reverting to a back 5. I think we play well that way although don't fix what's no broken. A 4231 all guns blazing would be interesting to see if we started with a high press right from the whistle. 

karipidis

Cantwell out for them, not sure if a good or bad thing but always seems to come up with moment for them. They are now a well drilled, functional team with some good players but they dont really have anyone who worries you ala Morelos and Kent. Tavernier penalty is about the main worry we should have. 

2 hours ago, Negan said:

A 4231 all guns blazing would be interesting to see if we started with a high press right from the whistle. 

We don't have the defenders for this against quality teams. All of Kent/Rowles/Kingsley are vulnerable to through balls - Rangers goal at Tynecastle last time out a perfect example.

I expect a repeat of Celtic Park tactics - 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 depending on phase of game.

south morocco
Just now, longmalx said:

We don't have the defenders for this against quality teams. All of Kent/Rowles/Kingsley are vulnerable to through balls - Rangers goal at Tynecastle last time out a perfect example.

I expect a repeat of Celtic Park tactics - 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 depending on phase of game.

Agreed. Thats the best approach imo. Wee bonus Cantwell out. He's a decent player and always in their 1st 11. I'm sure we'll have a bit of belief after being a bit unlucky with the late pen last time and of course the Park head win. 1-2 or 2-3 for us. (its the hope that kills you)

5 minutes ago, longmalx said:

I dont see why we cant give it a go. Would be safer with a 5 though, agreed

tiger Rudi
17 minutes ago, longmalx said:

Let's play with an old fashioned sweeper for those pesky through balls. Bamboozle them by playing inside lefts and inside rights too 😁 plenty support for Shanks! 

I'm joking obviously 👍

I'm feeling unusually positive for a trip to Ibrox. Would love our unbeaten run to continue.