Scottish Cup v Morton - Mon 11/3 19:45 : Sold out ( updated )

martoon

tiger Rudi
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

One thing about the draw which we complained about before our game, is the numbers which were alphabetical order, us number 2 Airdrie/ Hearts. 

Alternative draw if after our game and same numbers drawn

Hearts v Celtic

Morton v Livingston 

Aberdeen v Kilmarnock 

Hibs v Rangers

Glad we benefitted for a change. I asked a mate who works for the BBC and he stated the timing of the draw "was a joint decision between the BBC and the SFA". 

I find that quite ridiculous tbh but I suppose the broadcaster needs to be a part of it to publicise the draw. 

Why they couldn't have it after the game is a strange one, especially as all games are played to a finish in the cup. No chance of waiting on a replay for instance. 

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• been here before

So what we looking for then?  For me, only the Aberdeen Killie game has a question over who goes through.

Do we want the OF to get eachother in the semi and we get Aberdeen/Killie?

We looking to get an OF team in the semi and hope someone does the favour in the other semi, and we get, say, Killie in the final?

I think, for ease of progression and with the euro spot dependent on us or OF winning it, i'll be looking for Aberdeen or Killie in semi and either of the uglies in the final.  Be fun to beat Brenda, but also always fun to get it up the huns....

King Of The Cat Cafe

If I were a TV producer (or SFA blazer), the semi-final draw I would salivate over would be:

Celtic vs Hearts

Aberdeen vs Rangers

With a Celtic vs Rangers final.

(Alternate timeline, Hearts vs Hibs final.)

It would almost be worth the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth to see a Livingston vs Morton final.

JimmyCant
13 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

So what we looking for then?  For me, only the Aberdeen Killie game has a question over who goes through.

We looking to get an OF team in the semi and hope someone does the favour in the other semi, and we get, say, Killie in the final?

I think, for ease of progression and with the euro spot dependent on us or OF winning it, i'll be looking for Aberdeen or Killie in semi and either of the uglies in the final.  Be fun to beat Brenda, but also always fun to get it up the huns....

Yeh that’s the best case scenario. (The OF meet each other in the semi) However, call me a conspiracy nut but it’s taylor made for a fix to get an OF final. What will be will be though and we have a very decent chance of beating anyone left in on our day

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yeh that’s the best case scenario. (The OF meet each other in the semi) However, call me a conspiracy nut but it’s taylor made for a fix to get an OF final. What will be will be though and we have a very decent chance of beating anyone left in on our day

We've come so close in recent seasons with weaker Hearts teams and stronger OF teams (imo).  They're obv still miles above us but I'd be going in allowing myself a sliver of hope, which I don't usually!

JimmyCant
34 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hmmmm planning for my wife’s 60th birthday that day just took on an extra dimension

Hearts, Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers through I reckon.   

Aberdeen game should be interesting with McInnes at Pittodrie.   It will be close.   Draw then ET, possibly penalties. 

Straight forward wins for the other three. 

4 hours ago, SUTOL said:

No, but as I said, it lets their shills point and say, look no OF finals for 20+ years etc.

😉

👍

1 hour ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

It would almost be worth the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth to see a Livingston vs Morton final.

It would be us weeping, wailing and gnashing if Morton or Livi got the Euro group spot! :shocked666:

33 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Hmmmm planning for my wife’s 60th birthday that day just took on an extra dimension

Fridays are the best day for birthday nights out imo. Try floating that one Jimmy 😀

39 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Get her a ticket for the match. What else do you get the woman who has everything...... :) 

19 hours ago, FerryJambo81 said:

Another 10k plus stadium with average attendance less than 2. Imagine we'll be able to get more than we'll feasibly take...

Game against Motherwell had a capacity of 6,700.

Well were offered 3,000 tickets and sold 2,000. I suspect we'll be offered the same.

3,000 will be fine for a Friday evening ko live on the BBC - if that's how it turns out.

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, Daktari said:

It would be us weeping, wailing and gnashing if Morton or Livi got the Euro group spot! :shocked666:

Point well made, Dr Tracy.

Jamstomorrow
3 hours ago, Daktari said:

Get her a ticket for the match. What else do you get the woman who has everything...... :) 

You can always try Penicillin.  ;)

Rudiscoresagain
4 hours ago, Daktari said:

it’s an easy fix. A meal and see some entertainment - pie and a bovril followed by watching the Jamtarts. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 12/02/2024 at 07:57, Daktari said:

Aye, but wagon wheels were huge back then...... 🙂

Shrinkflation….or our hands got bigger

N Lincs Jambo
On 11/02/2024 at 17:05, jbee647 said:

One of my earliest memories in 1977following Hearts as a 13yo 5-3 defeat to a Andy Ritchie and Mark McGhee led Morton 

Carnage on the terracing, My abiding memory being a Morton skinhead resplendent with crombie  DMs and braces trying to face up Hearts fans and this old guy chucked a full cup of boiling bovril in his face..

The bit in bold, I suspect Morton might have been up for a bit of revenge after the Gorgie Aggro had had them on their arses the Wednesday night prior to that game (League Cup tie which we won 3-0 but the GA kicked Morton off the Gorgie Road end terrace into the relative safety of the South Enclosure).

John Findlay
9 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

The bit in bold, I suspect Morton might have been up for a bit of revenge after the Gorgie Aggro had had them on their arses the Wednesday night prior to that game (League Cup tie which we won 3-0 but the GA kicked Morton off the Gorgie Road end terrace into the relative safety of the South Enclosure).

Eammon Bannon scoring a cracking free kick that Wednesday night.

The Saturday Andy Ritchie turned it on for them.

That long street the buses had to go along and there was a bridge, where they were dropping lumps of concrete onto and through the roofs of the Hearts busses passing underneath.

N Lincs Jambo
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That long street the buses had to go along and there was a bridge, where they were dropping lumps of concrete onto and through the roofs of the Hearts busses passing underneath.

Aye, those were the good old days 😂

N Lincs Jambo

On the subject of the draw am I right in thinking that Rangers haven't beaten Hibs in the cup since the 1979 final 2nd replay?

I'll never forget how confident some Hibs fans were in 2006 having beaten Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox only for us to give them their first Hampden humiliation at our hands. Love playing them there so for that reason alone I wouldn't be too upset at a wee team win in the quarters.

23 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

On the subject of the draw am I right in thinking that Rangers haven't beaten Hibs in the cup since the 1979 final 2nd replay?

I'll never forget how confident some Hibs fans were in 2006 having beaten Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox only for us to give them their first Hampden humiliation at our hands. Love playing them there so for that reason alone I wouldn't be too upset at a wee team win in the quarters.

It was the last time Hibs lost to Rangers at Hampden, apparently.

Pretty sure Rangers have beaten them at Ibrox and/or Easter Road in that time.

By The Light..

Play well in Greenock then I'd take Hibs, Aberdeen or Killie in the semi please.

Then Celtic in the final 

gordon simpson
On 12/02/2024 at 15:24, tiger Rudi said:

Glad we benefitted for a change. I asked a mate who works for the BBC and he stated the timing of the draw "was a joint decision between the BBC and the SFA". 

I find that quite ridiculous tbh but I suppose the broadcaster needs to be a part of it to publicise the draw. 

Why they couldn't have it after the game is a strange one, especially as all games are played to a finish in the cup. No chance of waiting on a replay for instance. 

if our game went to extra time and penalties would have screwed up tv times ?

I'm getting a feeling we'll be in the final again this year. Draws been pretty kind, and I think under Naisy, there will be a hunger to deliver something - especially after him having been so close here during his time with us. 

tiger Rudi
7 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

if our game went to extra time and penalties would have screwed up tv times ?

Would have been fairer to have our kick off at the same time as the other tie on the Sunday. Draw then gets made that evening. I'm not complaining, we dodged a bullet missing Celtic at this stage. We are favourites to at least reach a semi final now. 

gordon simpson
1 hour ago, tiger Rudi said:

Would have been fairer to have our kick off at the same time as the other tie on the Sunday. Draw then gets made that evening. I'm not complaining, we dodged a bullet missing Celtic at this stage. We are favourites to at least reach a semi final now. 

tv runs football, but you are spot on 

WorldChampions1902
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Good grief. Andy Ritchie is a name I didn’t expect to see on here. What a striker he was! A prime example of an absolute goal machine that IIRC didn’t get a Scotland cap (as he didn’t play for the OF). He scored countless goals for Morton and was the leagues top goalscorer at times.

A timely reminder of what might happen, even if Shankland tops the SPFL scoring charts at season-end.

Perrykitch

It’s our best chance in years, even taking into account how close we’ve been to winning it again in recent years. We are on the up and much better than we were in any of the recent, previous finals. The old firm this season really aren’t great and in a one off it’s not 50/50 quite but really not far away either. Good draw for us in quarters let’s see what happens in the semi if we make it 

On 12/02/2024 at 15:30, TheBigO said:

Yes, pretty much like it was 2 seasons ago when we had pretty much secured 3rd and got Hibs in the SF with the OF playing the other SF.  Beating Hibs in the SF guaranteed us the Europa League spot.

If we beat Aberdeen or Killie in the SF then we clinch the EL spot and have a crack at the final, if we happen to lose the SF then Aberdeen or Killie will still have to beat one of the OF in the final to knick the Europa League spot from us.

Jambo in Bathgate
On 12/02/2024 at 15:24, tiger Rudi said:

13 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

tv runs football, but you are spot on 

For the first time a draw worked in our favour. We usually draw premier opponents in quarter final. 

Fozzyonthefence
13 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Good grief. Andy Ritchie is a name I didn’t expect to see on here. What a striker he was! A prime example of an absolute goal machine that IIRC didn’t get a Scotland cap (as he didn’t play for the OF). He scored countless goals for Morton and was the leagues top goalscorer at times.

A timely reminder of what might happen, even if Shankland tops the SPFL scoring charts at season-end.

Like Robbo in 1990.  Top scorer in SPL, ahead of McCoist but didn’t even make the World Cup squad for Italia 90.  

4 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

When will they announce the dates for the fixtures?

I would guess we’ll know by the end of this week.

4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Like Robbo in 1990.  Top scorer in SPL, ahead of McCoist but didn’t even make the World Cup squad for Italia 90.  

Considering the neither of the bigots have Scots scoring goals its going to be a moot point.

Heartsmad1874

Mad it takes this long for Viaplay to decide they’ll take the fixtures everyone knew they’d take from the draw. Should have been confirmed Monday morning. 

Heartsmad1874

Has anyone else not received the loyalty points from Sundays match? 

Gorgie_Rules

Still no sign of the fixtures or have I missed it? 

Surely can’t be that difficult, Rangers and Celtic both on Viaplay with Rangers the Sunday due to Europe.

If the BBC games are same as the last round being Friday and Sunday 5pm, I suspect we’ll be one or those, most likely the Friday. Train times don’t look ideal for getting back to Edinburgh from Greenock on a Friday night!

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Surely can’t be that difficult, Rangers and Celtic both on Viaplay with Rangers the Sunday due to Europe.

If the BBC games are same as the last round being Friday and Sunday 5pm, I suspect we’ll be one or those, most likely the Friday. Train times don’t look ideal for getting back to Edinburgh from Greenock on a Friday night!

I can't make the Friday so hope it's on the Sunday, if we are on tv. 

ColinSmith1255
On 14/02/2024 at 11:49, Heartsmad1874 said:

Has anyone else not received the loyalty points from Sundays match? 

My loyalty points were added on Tuesday morning 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Seem a bit sluggish with the announcement, imagine Viaplay knew what they wanted within 10 minutes of the draw, going to blame BBC

Italian Lambretta
30 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Premier Inn?

1 hour ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Cartsdyke Station is near the ground and there are regular trains to Glasgow Central. Walk to Queen Street and you should get the last train to Edinburgh (11.45pm?). 

Helensburgh to Edinburgh trains may finish early so via Central and changing is probably best.

Beat Morton, get Aberdeen in the semis and beat them. Then pump one of the OF. Lift Cup. Lovely Jubbly. 

John Findlay
24 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Cartsdyke Station is near the ground and there are regular trains to Glasgow Central. Walk to Queen Street and you should get the last train to Edinburgh (11.45pm?). 

Helensburgh to Edinburgh trains may finish early so via Central and changing is probably best.

Cappielow is an Eight to Ten minutes walk from Cartsdyke station. I don't know why you would get a Helensburgh train as they transit the North side of the Clyde. Greenock is on the South side of the Clyde so you have to go to Queen Street and walk round to Central for a train.

Still no news about the date/times and tv schedule?

I'm beginning to think the SFA are not competent. 😜

Not sure if its been mentioned, but I hope assuming we pass Morton, that the club has a very strong rebuttal ready for when the SFA attempt to A.) give the OF "their end" - no national stadium/neutral venue should have designated ends for specific clubs, it should be decided on a coin toss. B.) anything less than a 50/50 split. 

Semi Finals and Finals are neutral venues, and unless one party is open to taking a reduced allocation the starting position should be 50/50. 

heartsfc_fan
33 minutes ago, martoon said:

Still no news about the date/times and tv schedule?

I'm beginning to think the SFA are not competent. 😜

Confirmed. Ours is Monday night at 7:45pm.

BBC.

• davemclaren changed the title to Scottish Cup v Morton - Mon 11/3 19:45 : Sold out ( updated )
  • davemclaren locked this topic