Steven Naismith ( merged )

No Idle Talk

AC Mallin_51

9 wins and a draw in the last 10

6 wins in a row

5 away wins in a row

not seen a run like this since JJ in 10/11

a false start has probably cost us a shot at the title. The way we’re going this man could very well be the manager of the year. I take back everything I said in September 👏

Edited by AC Mallin_51

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmerTweedy

• kingantti1874

• jr ewing

• Jambo61

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

6 wins in a row

5 away wins in a row

a false start has probably cost us a shot at the title. The way we’re going this man could very well be the manager of the year. I take back everything I said in September 👏

really has been a phenomenal run. 

Edited by kingantti1874

8 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

6 wins in a row

5 away wins in a row

And that is the crazy thing. Only a few results going in our favour (which they almost did, e.g. the derby at Tynecastle, away at Ibrox, and a few others) and we'd be top of the league or almost. 

If we can keep this up and take it into next season..... 

Let's win both cups this year if we can!

7 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

6 wins in a row

5 away wins in a row

Brilliant run of results. The negative vibe at the AGM is a distant memory. Credit to Naismith, his coaches and the players for turning things around.

AC Mallin_51
2 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

And that is the crazy thing. Only a few results going in our favour (which they almost did, e.g. the derby at Tynecastle, away at Ibrox, and a few others) and we'd be top of the league or almost. 

The false start to the season and the likes of the hibs game and probably most importantly the collapse at ibrox has cost us a genuine shot at the title. Thing is Rangers and Celtic both look below par aswell. The pressure of a third party creeping 2/3 points behind them would have added serious pressure. Look at the Celtic fans protesting and they’re still top! Imagine how they’d feel if we were breathing down their necks aswell

1 minute ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

The false start to the season and the likes of the hibs game and probably most importantly the collapse at ibrox has cost us a genuine shot at the title. Thing is Rangers and Celtic both look below par aswell. The pressure of a third party creeping 2/3 points behind them would have added serious pressure. Look at the Celtic fans protesting and they’re still top! Imagine how they’d feel if we were breathing down their necks aswell

Indeed!!! 

Bongo 1874

Happy for him and glad i backed him,born winner and you can see we are starting to play proper football under him.

Still need to improve when out of possession and our pressing.

But i think everyone can see he has improved the team ? Maybe I'm bias though?

Edited by Bongo 1874

Shooter McGavin

I was quite vocal in my doubts about him earlier in the season, and he’s proven me to be spectacularly wrong!

What a f****** run he’s got us on, deserves huge credit 👏🏻, long may it continue!

Mad Bad and Dangerous

Thank you Steve N ....that's all  👍👍😍

jamboinglasgow
28 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

6 wins in a row

5 away wins in a row

If you extend the stats to 1st of November, 

12 wins in 15 games

or

37 points out of a possible 45.

We have the same amount of points no as we did after 33 games last season.

Absolutely phenomenal.

20 minutes ago, gavvy said:

How long is his contract? It must be tempting to extend it already. 

Not that I disagree but calling bullshit on this. Are you Stevie’s mum?  

Fort Vallance
23 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

The pressure of a third party creeping 2/3 points behind them would have got the SPFL/ SFA wagons in a circle. We'd be getting 50/50 decisions going against us rapid.

N Lincs Jambo

We really do have a bit of steel about us now. Second half of “games played” season and we’re title challengers. Really impressed with the results despite us not blowing teams away like we did in seasons where we did challenge. Naisy is doing a good job!

Jamboross

Probably not a stat worth looking at quite yet given he's only managed 40 games but he currently has the 6th highest win percentage in our history and two of the folk ahead of him (Neilson and Burley) have special circumstances that sort of pad their stats. 

He's proven me wrong, that's for sure. 

loveofthegame

The run is outrageous and huge credit to Naisy and his team - they've surely won us all over now.

We'll even ignore the over-reliance on Shanks for the time being... But seriously, incredible run and with a weakened Celtic and a beatable Rangers, maybe this team could be on for something special at Hampden before the end of the season...

50 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

6 wins in a row

5 away wins in a row

Exactly my thoughts.

A title chance next year?

Can't remember who said it buts he's definitely learned a lot from Steve Clarke in identifying the main problem, sorting that then building.

I'm a fan now.

Still think Tagawa deserves a run but now I'm less fussed cos ye know. Results.

Improvement in transfer windows, youths given a chance, striker scoring goals... things we've missed for seasons.

All things coming along nicely, long may it continue 

jack D and coke

I was always for giving him time. 
I didn’t want anyone off the merry go round and despite the sticky spell after the euro exit with the confusion of who was calling the shots it’s great to see us developing a bit of a style too. 
Im not getting carried away just yet tho. 
He deserves loads of credit tho. 

No Idle Talk

I wasn't sure about giving him the job. Two wins out of seven at the tail end of last season wasn't enough to convince me it was definitely the way to go. The lack of managerial experience was also a concern, although not a deal breaker for me. 

Conversely, I did feel that there were things about him that could translate into making him a good manager. As a player he was hard headed and always demanded the highest standards from himself and the players around him. That is a fantastic quality for a manager to have. So I felt confident that he wouldn't let players drift and he wouldn't accept performance or effort levels going up and down all the time. I also had an inkling that we would put in better showings against the Old Firm with Naismith as manager. Which so far I think we have done. Just bringing that stubborn, ballsy mentality into the dressing room and passing it on to the players I thought would make a difference in that respect. 

I think what we're also seeing from him is he is fairly tactically switched on. Perhaps that comes from playing at the top level for some very big clubs and for some really good managers. Wherever it comes from, it is showing. His substitutions do change games, usually in our favour, and he has shown he is not a slave to any one formation or system. If it's not working he will change it up. That's another quality I really like to see in a manager. 

There is one other mistake that he doesn't often make and that is putting square pegs in round holes. Players are almost always playing in roles that make sense for the skill set that they have. So many managers of guilty of not doing this, Robbie was really quite bad for that at times.

It's possible Steven Naismith has the potential to go on and be a top manager. If he does then we will continue to reap the benefits in the meantime. 

Edited by No Idle Talk

Armageddon

Always been a fan and the relief when Robbie went was immense.

Thank you Naismith for bringing the good times back 👏🏼

Watt-Zeefuik

It took me a while to be convinced he was a good pick.

I'm fully convinced now.

Best since Burley?  I'm not going to let a run of 10 games decide that. In 2018 our opposing manager tonight had us open 10 games with 8 wins, 1 draw, and a loss at Ibrox. The wins included beating Celtic at Tynecastle.

It would take us the rest of the season to win another 7 games.

Last season we had a streak of 11 league games where we won 7, drew 3, and (again) lost at Ibrox. We outscored our opponents 24-11 during that stretch. In the midst of that we had a 3-0 cup win over Hibs. The next game after that streak was the draw at Livingston followed by the "WTAF?!?" lineup at home against Rangers that began our epic collapse.

We're playing very well right now and I really appreciate Naismith's major role in making that happen. Long may it continue.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

The pressure of a third party creeping 2/3 points behind them would have got the SPFL/ SFA wagons in a circle. We'd be getting 50/50 decisions going against us rapid.

I think more like 40/60.

2 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

6 wins in a row

5 away wins in a row

The draw contained an absolutely horrendous decision that was subsequently overturned or he’d probably have earned 10 league wins in the trot. I’ve never seen Hearts win 10 league games on the trot and I doubt many (if any) on here have? Certain it hasn’t happened since the 50’s if it did. 

9 hours ago, SecN said:

Not that I disagree but calling bullshit on this. Are you Stevie’s mum?  

I just checked, he's been contracted to summer of 2025 and genuinely don't think it's a bad idea. 

Proved me wrong. Fair play to him - he's clearly got what it takes and i'm delighted for him. 

TexasAndy

Nothing gets fans behind a manager like results.  25 points from last 27.  For perspective Hibs have 5 out of 27.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We are where we are because of the start.

It wasn't false, the players required time to learn, understand and adapt to the way of playing. We would be sitting about 8 points further back had we not.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

Nothing gets fans behind a manager like results.  25 points from last 27.  For perspective Hibs have 5 out of 27.

They were ahead of after we left Pittodrie, and Aberdeen were all about games in hand that would catch us, what a glorious 60 days since Pittodrie, probably the catalyst, the bear poked.

gnasher75

The thing that I liked about the Naismith appointment as compared to Levein or Neilson is his winning mentality. And the expectation that we should win home and away, which is the attitude Rangers and Celtic have had for years. It's a big change from win your home games and set up not to lose away from home.

Just watched the Hearts TV interviews with Naismith and Shankland after the St Johnstone game.

One striking thing that Shankland said is that previously we might have used the cold weather and poor surface as an excuse for just going through the motions. But the players "have now moved on from that stage". If that's true, it's a big culture change.

We have all watched insipid Hearts performances especially away from home over the years. This team seems more driven. The number of away wins, comebacks, late winners proves that.

The credit has to go to the manager for that.

He clearly knows what he is doing in other respects. For example, Shankland referenced the work done in training with McAvoy on defending set plays. Naismith again mentioned the tactical tweaks at half time, this time about getting Beni and Nieuwenhof pressing forward more.

But for me the biggest difference Naismith has brought is instilling the Old Firm style attitude that we work hard and do everything required to win matches, home or away, week in, week out. If we want to close the gap and compete with them, that's what we have to do.

RustyRightPeg

Reality is we're a Yan Dhanda free kick away from the most perfect league run since the start of the 05/06 league season. 

Truly imperious. Teams are fearing us.

jamboinglasgow
12 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

The thing that I liked about the Naismith appointment as compared to Levein or Neilson is his winning mentality. And the expectation that we should win home and away, which is the attitude Rangers and Celtic have had for years. It's a big change from win your home games and set up not to lose away from home.

Just watched the Hearts TV interviews with Naismith and Shankland after the St Johnstone game.

One striking thing that Shankland said is that previously we might have used the cold weather and poor surface as an excuse for just going through the motions. But the players "have now moved on from that stage". If that's true, it's a big culture change.

We have all watched insipid Hearts performances especially away from home over the years. This team seems more driven. The number of away wins, comebacks, late winners proves that.

The credit has to go to the manager for that.

He clearly knows what he is doing in other respects. For example, Shankland referenced the work done in training with McAvoy on defending set plays. Naismith again mentioned the tactical tweaks at half time, this time about getting Beni and Nieuwenhof pressing forward more.

But for me the biggest difference Naismith has brought is instilling the Old Firm style attitude that we work hard and do everything required to win matches, home or away, week in, week out. If we want to close the gap and compete with them, that's what we have to do.

The mentality he has instilled in the team is incredible. As you say its an Old Firm mentality, one that is a confidence that no matter what they will get the win but need to work hard every moment to do it.

Added to the way he talks and explains things. Rarely have I read his description of the game after the match and not agreed with him. He doesn't just pretend a bad result is actually a good performance, nor is he quick to hang his players out to dry. He is good at praising what we are doing right but identify where things need to improve. He has also spoken a clear plan of what he wants which also comes with a realistic time frame. 

One thing worth noting is earlier in the season, Naismith talked about how he sees December as the month when things click, as that is when all the players would be up to speed to what he wants. December comes along and that has happened.

PaddysBar
On 07/02/2024 at 22:10, JJ93 said:

Add in Ross County at home where we should have won and we absolutely battered Motherwell at home as well and got beat. 

Saying that, there’s no doubt we’ve rode our luck a bit in some games too. 

I think we’re now at the stage we should have been at years ago. No need for mass recruitment, just recruit one or two quality players each summer to make a real difference. 

Compare and contrast that against our neighbours, half their team is going to be there on a temporary basis every season. 

Section Q

He was given a two year deal which means he'll be in the last twelve months of his contract when next season kicks off.

I'd be discussing an extension now if I was on the board. 

After a shaky start because of his lack of coaching badge, he really hasn't done much wrong. Robbie was given a new three year deal for less.

I have no doubt other clubs will notice him if we finish the season well.

karipidis
14 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Reality is we're a Yan Dhanda free kick away from the most perfect league run since the start of the 05/06 league season. 

Truly imperious. Teams are fearing us.

Or if VAR did its job for the Forrest ‘dive’

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
15 hours ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

Imagine how good Naismith will be once he gets his badges. 

What's the situation with this? He'll be suitably qualified before the start of next season's European matches, I assume?

Finlay James

I was sceptical at first and by the defeat at Pittodrie, convinced he was out of his depth.  However, now fully on board and when you chart what he has said from the beginning regards culture and mindset, you can see the work he has led and the progress being made.  The recent run is superb and exactly what we expect from a Hearts team.  I’m not getting carried away though, I’ve seen enough false dawns at Hearts to last a lifetime 😅

Next step is to add 1-2 (depending on whether we sell anyone) quality additions in the summer to keep us moving forward and it will be fascinating to see who Naisy targets.  My gut tells me we will be adding a quality centre half as I think we’ll flog Sibbick and im not sure Halkett’ legs can sustain a full season.

RustyRightPeg
5 hours ago, karipidis said:

Or if VAR did its job for the Forrest ‘dive’

Well aye, but I’d rather give the (our) player some credit for a worldie free kick that actually demonstrated some quality than a referee(s) who once again failed to do their job any air time

Naismith doesn’t do anything super complicated at the minute - he plays players in their best positions and plays to their strengths, he doesn’t ask them to do things they aren’t capable or comfortable with, he doesn’t force them into some mad system that changes week to week depending on opposition, he tailored how we play around the players we have and what they can do. You can see it‘s brought back their confidence because he’s largely kept things pretty simple and trusted that we’ll have better quality than 9/11 teams we play in the league.

I liked Robbie but one of his weaknesses was at times he’d try be too clever and “catch out” the opposition (prime example Rangers at home where we chucked seemingly random players into positions they don’t usually play under a totally different system than usual). Levein also did this in his 2nd season especially (first season he just tried to steady the ship) & Stendel was trying to piss with a cock he didn’t have. Naismith knows the core of the team, knows what they can do and bases everything around that which gives us a much more stable footing to kick on from.

This feels like it’s just phase one too.

The vast majority of fans wanted Steven Naismith as manager as did i and apart from some fairy cakes the majority are very much liking the way he works. What i'd like to see is Hearts giving Naisy a long term contract with a salary increase that reflexs the good job he has done, is doing & we believe will do because very soon we're going to be fighting of clubs who are going to recognise his qualities and want his services. Now i'm not talking about a wee wage rise because the most important and demanding job at any club is the manager and a wage should be offered that appreciates his talents that keeps him happy as well as our loyal fans.

pettigrewsstylist
5 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Naismith doesn’t do anything super complicated at the minute - he plays players in their best positions and plays to their strengths, he doesn’t ask them to do things they aren’t capable or comfortable with, he doesn’t force them into some mad system that changes week to week depending on opposition, he tailored how we play around the players we have and what they can do. You can see it‘s brought back their confidence because he’s largely kept things pretty simple and trusted that we’ll have better quality than 9/11 teams we play in the league.

I liked Robbie but one of his weaknesses was at times he’d try be too clever and “catch out” the opposition (prime example Rangers at home where we chucked seemingly random players into positions they don’t usually play under a totally different system than usual). Levein also did this in his 2nd season especially (first season he just tried to steady the ship) & Stendel was trying to piss with a cock he didn’t have. Naismith knows the core of the team, knows what they can do and bases everything around that which gives us a much more stable footing to kick on from.

This feels like it’s just phase one too.

Good post. Phase one indeed. Interesting to see what he adds come summer. Elephant in room is losing 25+ important goals of course. 

Stunning job so far and i beleive the SN mentality and culture cannot be underestimated.

Hearts1975
54 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

The vast majority of fans wanted Steven Naismith as manager as did i and apart from some fairy cakes the majority are very much liking the way he works. What i'd like to see is Hearts giving Naisy a long term contract with a salary increase that reflexs the good job he has done, is doing & we believe will do because very soon we're going to be fighting of clubs who are going to recognise his qualities and want his services. Now i'm not talking about a wee wage rise because the most important and demanding job at any club is the manager and a wage should be offered that appreciates his talents that keeps him happy as well as our loyal fans.

Great post. 100%. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Steven Naismith ( merged )