Steven Naismith ( merged )

No Idle Talk

No Idle Talk

..... is the best manager Hearts have had since George Burley. 

There. I said it. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmerTweedy

• kingantti1874

• jr ewing

• Jambo61

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Delboyinoz

Correct and similar to back then some on JKB wanted him sacked after about 6 games!

He's getting experience on the job and learning all the time how to win games.

No Idle Talk

It's a bit frustrating how we are lame in the first half but if he fixes that he is a bloody genius! 

gregzy2k7

He certainly has made me and a few others on here eat some very humble pie. 

I was probably one of his harshest critics on here and I am fully converted and on the Naisy train now.

Our away form under him has been absolutely superb and must be down to him and instilling a winning mentality in our players as every other manager we have had has been nowhere near as good away from home.

I jest here but if he can sort out our home form and make us just as good at Tynecastle then I seriously think that we could potentially get closer to the OF.

Delighted that he has proven all us doubters wrong 🙂

It wont be long until the Daily Record are making him Rangers manager. I'm looking forward to next season when he has got rid of some more dead wood and brought in some more players he wants. 

Getting ahead of ourselves as usual. We are Jekyll and Hyde, games of two halves.....why is that allowed every week? We have been lucky at times, but we will take that obviously! He needs to sort out our slow starts, he needs to sort out the midfield, he needs to get Lembikisa sorted out......I blame his wandering for the 2nd goal...he's good going forward but meanders back and exposed Sibbick who is getting the blame for marking 2 players! If he sorts that out and gets Forrest to grow a few inches, then he can be the new messiah!

Jamstomorrow

I like him.  He is certainly doing well.  Mind you, lose 2 games in a row and it will be "Naismith oot," from the panty wetter's who never approved of him in the first place.  Guaranteed!

Italian Lambretta
1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

It's a bit frustrating how we are lame in the first half but if he fixes that he is a bloody genius! 

I think if you look back at the last 10 games you will find the common denominator for the first half performances is Beni.

Ministryofdad
44 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

He's doing a brilliant job and I'm delighted I'm being proved wrong 

Humble pie has been ate. 

Delighted to have been proved wrong. 

Just have to transfer this into silverware 

Fails to select the best team for the job but seems to correct it later on. However the only metric I use is results and he is getting them so all good.

tartofmidlothian

Best Hearts manager since JJ's very similar P11 W10 D1 L0 run between November 2010 and January 2011, including beating both sides of the OF and Hibs twice.

He might yet edge ahead of Burley, let's seen how the next couple of matches go.

CloustonHMFC
1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

Getting ahead of ourselves as usual. We are Jekyll and Hyde, games of two halves.....why is that allowed every week? We have been lucky at times, but we will take that obviously! He needs to sort out our slow starts, he needs to sort out the midfield, he needs to get Lembikisa sorted out......I blame his wandering for the 2nd goal...he's good going forward but meanders back and exposed Sibbick who is getting the blame for marking 2 players! If he sorts that out and gets Forrest to grow a few inches, then he can be the new messiah!

Just as well a football match is played over two halves then, eh?

loveofthegame

You have to look at the basic position and this run we are on is ridiculously good. Our best run since under Levein when Naisy was part of the team.

We’ve made smart signings, he is able to change things when it’s not working and we’ve almost cemented 3rd at the start of February.

Slight note of caution would be our reliance on a once in a generation striker. If (/when…?!) we lose him in summer then Naisy has a major major job to try replace the goals (you won’t replace the ability or all the goals with one player). 

for now I’m just enjoying this run though, will worry about a hearts team without shanks as and when it happens.

Full credit to Naisy and the coaching team for the job they’re doing with the tools currently at their disposal.

gar jambo
1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

Yes Lembikisa is cavalier and gets caught out and this will have to be Addressed! I think we will be more settled when we have our strongest defence again I think this is part of the problem ! 

karipidis
4 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

You have to look at the basic position and this run we are on is ridiculously good. Our best run since under Levein when Naisy was part of the team.

We’ve made smart signings, he is able to change things when it’s not working and we’ve almost cemented 3rd at the start of February.

Slight note of caution would be our reliance on a once in a generation striker. If (/when…?!) we lose him in summer then Naisy has a major major job to try replace the goals (you won’t replace the ability or all the goals with one player). 

for now I’m just enjoying this run though, will worry about a hearts team without shanks as and when it happens.

Full credit to Naisy and the coaching team for the job they’re doing with the tools currently at their disposal.

Completely get the point regarding Shankland but it should also be pointed out that Shankland has raised his game even more this season. Some of his goals have been incredible and I think he will beat last seasons tally with a lot less penalties. Is it a coincidence that his game has improved since Naismith has come in? Naismith and team appear to be improving a number of players notably Forrest, Atkinson, Rowles. Also the likes of Vargas, Neuwenhoff appear to be getting better with time. 

A certain poster on here gave me abuse last year after I had said I was happy to try SN for manager (that was before the Europe fiasco). Hopefully he stays under the radar of other clubs. No doubt after we knock out the cup either of the uglies, the usual suspects will be saying how he should go to Sevco. 

tartofmidlothian
10 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

It's already better than Levein's run, but I'm glad you brought that up. They were good months, the best of his second era, until injuries caught up, including his own.

loveofthegame
10 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Completely get the point regarding Shankland but it should also be pointed out that Shankland has raised his game even more this season. Some of his goals have been incredible and I think he will beat last seasons tally with a lot less penalties. Is it a coincidence that his game has improved since Naismith has come in? Naismith and team appear to be improving a number of players notably Forrest, Atkinson, Rowles. Also the likes of Vargas, Neuwenhoff appear to be getting better with time. 

Very fair point- he has definitely improved a number of the current squad which is always a sign of a good manager. The way he is introducing youngsters is a further feather in his cap.

Bongo 1874

Give him time,we are still missing a few very key players,to think he's not had Gordon,Mckay,Boyce,for long periods of the season along with others.

Is quite an achievement really.

loveofthegame
8 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

It's already better than Levein's run, but I'm glad you brought that up. They were good months, the best of his second era, until injuries caught up, including his own.

Yes sorry you are right, that was the last run like this that I can remember in the top league at least. 

davie1980

More reactionary stuff.

I was one of the most vocal defenders of Naismith. Not because I knew he's "the best manager since Burley" but because he's a young, inexperienced manager who needed tine, patience and backing to get through a challenging season and be judged over 38 games.

Same thing stands now, he's on a purple patch of 10 very good games, will that last?

I'd say almost certainly not. No non-OF team is maintaining 22 out of 24 points form, there's been too many close calls (Dundee x 2).

We'll take dips again and the knee jerkers will be flip flopping again.

Let's judge him over a season. As it stands he's doing better than expected, judging him over 24 games he's had a poor start, a great midseason and is in a great position overall. But lets look at it over 38, and as things stand it looks like he's on route to match Robbie's best seasons. If he can get us a cup, he's in the conversation for best in living memory.

But stop the knee jerk reactions because we're 2 or 3 bad results from the sacking threads being bumped by certain members.

Edited by davie1980

This is the best interview I’ve seen him do….

I wasn’t a fan but I’m beginning to eat the humble pie which suits me fine. 

he has definitely installed a winning mentality into this group and unlike the poster above I’ve zero issue with a slow start IF we produce turnarounds like yesterday, last week and the week before….no issue with that at all if it gets us three points and creates a super exciting game - I’ll take that every week. 

loved this interview last night 

https://x.com/jamtarts/status/1753843444210925972?s=46&t=FtV_AwCnQiV6CdjVBwMTlQ 

Berra than you
7 minutes ago, red said:

he has definitely installed a winning mentality into this group and unlike the poster above I’ve zero issue with a slow start IF we produce turnarounds like yesterday, last week and the week before….no issue with that at all if it gets us three points and creates a super exciting game - I’ll take that every week. 

What struck me in that interview is that he has clearly got the players mentally believing in themselves. He notes that the key to when we go down is to stick to how he wants us to play and not go long/direct. Think the results speaking for themselves on how that's working.

Benny Klack
2 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

Yeah good point - why are our poor first half performances allowed? We should sack him immediately 😂

I think that not only is Naismith very tactically astute - he is also a born winner with very high standards / expectations. Both are filtering down to the players. 

Voted in the poll for him to get the job, and it’s pass marks so far. If he can bring in more of his type of player, then I can see us improving under him.

19 minutes ago, red said:

Great interview, many thanks for posting. I agree with your points, if you know our team has the spirit to fight back , then us fans will cheer them on.

To those saying he'll be touted to Rangers...they absolutely hate him for "walking away" so zero chance.

tartofmidlothian
Just now, weaz1981 said:

To those saying he'll be touted to Rangers...they absolutely hate him for "walking away" so zero chance.

Of his ex-clubs, I could see him managing Everton one day.

10 minutes ago, weaz1981 said:

Do they not know what hypocrisy is?

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

This is such a crap post. Standard complain about anything you can think of stuff. Insufferable.

45 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

More reactionary stuff.

I was one of the most vocal defenders of Naismith. Not because I knew he's "the best manager since Burley" but because he's a young, inexperienced manager who needed tine, patience and backing to get through a challenging season and be judged over 38 games.

Same thing stands now, he's on a purple patch of 10 very good games, will that last?

I'd say almost certainly not. No non-OF team is maintaining 22 out of 24 points form, there's been too many close calls (Dundee x 2).

Let's judge him over a season. As it stands he's doing better than expected, judging him over 24 games he's had a poor start, a great midseason and is in a great position overall. But lets look at it over 38, and as things stand it looks like he's on route to match Robbie's best seasons. If he can get us a cup, he's in the conversation for best in living memory.

But stop the knee jerk reactions because we're 2 or 3 bad results from the sacking threads being bumped by certain members.

In contrast, I think this is a much fairer and more balanced post.

Pete Elliott
2 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

I think if you look back at the last 10 games you will find the common denominator for the first half performances is Beni.

:cornette:

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

People on here wanted him sacked not that long ago. :rofl:

Guilty as charged and delighted I was completely wrong 

superjack

One of my pet hates is admitting I'm wrong. On the subject Steven Naismith, I will happily admit to being wrong. I, like a lot of others, started to think that he wasn't the man for the job, that we should have replaced him late last year.

Thankfully, although us fans own the club via FOH, we don't run the club and decisions about managers sit with better people. 

Libertarian
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

People on here wanted him sacked not that long ago. :rofl:

I'll hold my hand up, I was one of them. In fact I didn't think he should have been appointed in the first place as we are too big a club to be taking risks on untried inexperienced managers. I'm glad I was wrong and hope that Naismith is Hearts manager for years to come.

Bull's-eye

Thought 3rd was the minumum position required,  add that to the 3rd highest budget in league by millions. Lets not forget the eye bleeding 35 minutes of every 1st half. Not pulling up any trees then.

Surely he's bang average by Kickfact standards.

TweedbankJambo

I believed from the first game he was in charge. I could see what he wanted and he's getting it now. Maybe not for 90 mins but we'll get better 😊

1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

More reactionary stuff.

Good post.

Following Hearts can be quite an emotional thing and it’s easy to get things blown out of perspective when things are going particularly well or badly.  

3 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I'll hold my hand up, I was one of them. In fact I didn't think he should have been appointed in the first place as we are too big a club to be taking risks on untried inexperienced managers. I'm glad I was wrong and hope that Naismith is Hearts manager for years to come.

Not wanting him at the start was a fair enough opinion mate and there shouldn’t be any real issues with that. It’s the judgements being made fairly recently while we are sitting 3rd people still wanted him sacked. I genuinely question the motive behind that and not aimed at you but some people would rather we were 4th or 5th just to be proved right. I doubt we’ve ever had a manager doing this well but given so little leeway. Every pat on the back is followed up by some unrealistic demand or caveat. 

Rocky jamboa

It's about time we had someone decent in charge. You could tell he had the attributes to be a good manager when he was a player. The way he talks is night and day from Neilson. 

I felt he was the right appointment from the start. I had some doubts a few weeks back when we went through a bit of a slump but he's turned it round.

Hope we keep him for a long time but can see bigger clubs showing an interest if we keep going the way we are. 

RobbofordGHC

Walked down the track to the dressing rooms at the end of the game without any fist pumping or milking applause of the fans, largely unnoticed. Left the team to take all the credit and adulation, he’s a class act like he was as a player also. Probably doesn’t trust the support given there was 500+ on here voting to sack him after 4 (yes 4!) league games. Could be away to Norwich before we realise what we are missing.

gordon simpson
2 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Just as well a football match is played over two halves then, eh?

some on here do not realise a game lasts 90 minutes and 2 teams off 11  play each other 

Victorian

The Achilles heel recently is the loss of the first goal.  The good thing is that it was one of the first things on his mind in the post-match interview.  

1874robbo
3 hours ago, Herbert. said:

It wont be long until the Daily Record are making him Rangers manager. I'm looking forward to next season when he has got rid of some more dead wood and brought in some more players he wants. 

I Don’t think he’s very well liked by some at ibrox 

ToadKiller Dog

Best manager since Robbies first spell  😆 

Hard to judge Burley as a great hearts manager as vlad removed him after too few games .

Naismith’s improving as the season goes on ,he's on the right track no doubt ,a bit to do on how we start games more so at home .

If we can start scoring early at home we will start getting big wins at home ,thirds not far from being made ,would like to see us give somebody a big drubbing maybe next derby .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

4 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Can you imagine if we played like this the whole season!?

Stupid Sexy Flanders
4 hours ago, Delboyinoz said:

Correct and similar to back then some on JKB wanted him sacked after about 6 games!

He's getting experience on the job and learning all the time how to win games.

Mate absolutely no one wanted Burley sacked after six games, I'm sure we were sitting top of the league! 😄

• davemclaren changed the title to Steven Naismith ( merged )