Steven Naismith ( merged )

No Idle Talk

Heart of Darkness

Naismith is doing a fantastic job just now and I think he will improve even more next season when he has more experience. Regarding him being lucky with Shankland scoring goals and winning games for him, that's a strikers job. If he wasn't scoring it should be Shankland getting a tough time and not the manager. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmerTweedy

• kingantti1874

• jr ewing

• Jambo61

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No Idle Talk
4 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

It'd be boring if we were as good in the first half of games as we are in the second.  Results would be a foregone conclusion after about half an hour!  😃

Haha 

I could use a bit of boredom in my life in that case! 

GORGIE MONK

Got to say that right now this is the closest to the Romanov GOOD days I can remember 

No Idle Talk
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Does that matter?  Points on the board, even Pep’s and Fergie’s teams never flushed it for the full 90 minutes 😂😂😂

Hearts fans are a pain in the hoop with these expectations.

It kind of does matter. Continually starting matches slowly will catch up with you at some point. I would be surprised if starting matches better and scoring a few more early goals isn't something Steven Naismith himself isn't thinking about.

It's hardly an excessive "expectation" to want to see a bit more of that from the team.

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, Scott Monument said:

He is doing a good job and a quick learner will manage at a higher level in the future but we will enjoy his services for the time being 

You can say that again! 

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

Whatever joker. 

What was your thinking behind putting your IQ in your username? 

Armageddon

SN has definitely coached Forrest to be a better player, culled the guys on the down trajectory, and given youth the belief they have a real chance of being a first team player.

For years all 3 of the above were the complete opposite of how our life was.  Nobody got coached and improved, we were buying players on the downward section of their careers, and the youth were punted out wholesale.

10 hours ago, Delboyinoz said:

Correct and similar to back then some on JKB wanted him sacked after about 6 games!

He's getting experience on the job and learning all the time how to win games.

Nobody on here wanted Burley sacked after 6 games 😄

Ex member of the SaS

I wanted SN due to his claim, of fast attacking football, lost faith a bit but happy the way things are going, if only he would address the weaknesses. Team selection is missing something when he has to make subs, the subs that should have started. The slow starts to games and the pointless passing when there is a clear forward pass available.

Need to clear out the ones who are not good enough and make space for better players. Player we should be able to attract with third and Europe on the horizon.

He's doing a great job, he's certainly turned things around. I'm not pissing on his chips, but I wouldn't go as far as the OP, I honestly believe the League is as weak as it's been in years, I'm not sure there is much argument against that.

4 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

“BUT BUT……..BUT!”

I know. Not good enough. Style isn't sexy enough. Actually raging.

Benny Klack
6 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

So astute he repeats the same failings week after week. The minute the luck runs out you'll be back demanding change!

Who’s demanding change ? Not me mate, I’m on the happy bus.

If you’re genuinely not excited about where we’re at just now and just want to nitpick - I’d suggest that supporting Hearts ain’t for you my friend. 

Armageddon
44 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

I know. Not good enough. Style isn't sexy enough. Actually raging.

“We never win in that pink top”

Being another absolute belter from the roasters

Vlad Magic
1 hour ago, VALDOS' said:

He's doing a great job, he's certainly turned things around. I'm not pissing on his chips, but I wouldn't go as far as the OP, I honestly believe the League is as weak as it's been in years, I'm not sure there is much argument against that.

The league is what it is. You can argue all day about how strong or weak it is. You still have to find a way to beat teams. 

Personally I think the league is very competitive. Some surprise failures and some surprise contenders for top spots.

The “leagues weak” sentiment gets trotted out all the time with no real way of proving it is or isn’t weak. It’s pure opinion.

Weak or strong Naismith has us on a run the rest are enviable of. For that he deserves massive credit.

2 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Naismith is doing a fantastic job just now and I think he will improve even more next season when he has more experience. Regarding him being lucky with Shankland scoring goals and winning games for him, that's a strikers job. If he wasn't scoring it should be Shankland getting a tough time and not the manager. 

Hope he starts his best XI for a change 🙏 

ollie2004

Assuming we do get 3rd, has Naisy got the required coaching qualifications to be Head coach for European football?

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Boo boo. Did the bad men disageee with you and you spat your dummy out. Aw diddums. 

Hahaha......your not a cock!

47 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Who’s demanding change ? Not me mate, I’m on the happy bus.

If you’re genuinely not excited about where we’re at just now and just want to nitpick - I’d suggest that supporting Hearts ain’t for you my friend. 

Aye after 60 years I'll listen to some twat!

10 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Hahaha......your not a cock!

Thanks and you’re not a big baby 👍

10 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Thanks and you’re not a big baby 👍

Last word as always!

Benny Klack
21 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Aye after 60 years I'll listen to some twat!

Don’t believe you’ve been supporting Hearts over 60 years.

I’d maybe step away from this forum for a bit mate - you’re coming across as a clown. 

3 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Don’t believe you’ve been supporting Hearts over 60 years.

I’d maybe step away from this forum for a bit mate - you’re coming across as a clown. 

Step away from the mirror! I supported Sibbick against attack. I said he was left exposed, as journalists are saying too! I said we played a game of 2 halves. I said we are riding our luck. What exactly is a dope like you objecting too? Beats me!

You seem very pleased with yourself!

Benny Klack
42 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Step away from the mirror! I supported Sibbick against attack. I said he was left exposed, as journalists are saying too! I said we played a game of 2 halves. I said we are riding our luck. What exactly is a dope like you objecting too? Beats me!

You seem very pleased with yourself!

Ok.

Enjoy your night mate 👍

allystrachan
2 hours ago, ollie2004 said:

Assuming we do get 3rd, has Naisy got the required coaching qualifications to be Head coach for European football?

I think he just had to be registered on a course, he doesn’t have to have completed it. Surely he’s on one now. Who knows, maybe he’s been learning from it too considering how our fortunes have improved. 

upgotheheads
14 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

..... is the best manager Hearts have had since George Burley. 

There. I said it. 

Probably better, he doesn't have Burley's budget.

38 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Ok.

Enjoy your night mate 👍

Ok finish your homework!

Heart of Darkness
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Yeah he could maybe start Vargas from the start, I would like that TBF!! 👍🏻😃

Rocky jamboa

Naismith has said himself he ls looking for a bit of stability with the squad and not to be signing 10+ players every transfer window like we've done before. Probably the reason he's tied down Forrest and Halkett on longer term deals. Good reliable squad players who seem to be buying into how Naismith wants us to play.

Although keeping and hopefully extending Shanks contract is a big plus, it's maybe just as important to be looking at tying Naismith down on a better and longer contract. He could be the man to cement us as third best team, and possibly get us closer to the old scum! 

I said it on previous threads, naismith is a rookie manger, he'll make mistakes and he has done. But look at the results. We're doing great and I'm really impressed with him. For all that he was a firey aggressive player he seems very calm in interviews and talks really well. I think he's also really intelligent and is planning forward. See the squad progressively being improved. Losing surplus players and bringing on younger academy players. Getting a good strong core of players who'll always be here and steady. The fight and desire to grind out away wins is special in itself. So many recent games away I think we'd have lost under Robbie. Changed days and it's great!

1 hour ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Yeah he could maybe start Vargas from the start, I would like that TBF!! 👍🏻😃

Middle of the park needs changing. 

Heart of Darkness
7 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Yeah a Fulton and a Cameron duo!! 😍

10 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Yeah a Fulton and a Cameron duo!! 😍

Preferably a threesome 🤪 

10 hours ago, jr ewing said:

We're 9 unbeaten it's fine.

Greenbank2

A wise man ince told me, "when things are bad, they are rarely as bad as they seem, and when they're good, they're rarely as good as they seem" we would be wise to remember that.

Having said that, when we needed a new manager, my wish list was:

- someone with SPL experience

- someone who had played at a high level in the SPL and outside the SPL

- someone with international experience

- someone who has drive and desire to be a winner

- someone who has played under and learned from, a repected manager

- and thie one comes from a friend of mine who is a 50 year ST holder - someone who has played for one of the uglies,

because he'll know how they do it and how to beat the bar stewards.

with these credentials, mangerial experience didn't metter that much to me. There are no quick fixes.

I was was very happy with SN as he has all of these, but he is also young, has experience with the club, ambitious and intelligent. He is on a journey; there will be more mistakes and slip ups, and tough periods but as long as he keeps progressing over reasonable time periods, we can say we have a good 'un. So many on here would do well to remember that, even when we have a tough run.

Gillsland jack
12 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

A wise man ince told me, "when things are bad, they are rarely as bad as they seem, and when they're good, they're rarely as good as they seem" we would be wise to remember that.

Having said that, when we needed a new manager, my wish list was:

- someone with SPL experience

- someone who had played at a high level in the SPL and outside the SPL

- someone with international experience

- someone who has drive and desire to be a winner

- someone who has played under and learned from, a repected manager

- and thie one comes from a friend of mine who is a 50 year ST holder - someone who has played for one of the uglies,

because he'll know how they do it and how to beat the bar stewards.

with these credentials, mangerial experience didn't metter that much to me. There are no quick fixes.

I was was very happy with SN as he has all of these, but he is also young, has experience with the club, ambitious and intelligent. He is on a journey; there will be more mistakes and slip ups, and tough periods but as long as he keeps progressing over reasonable time periods, we can say we have a good 'un. So many on here would do well to remember that, even when we have a tough run.

I said on another thread, if he does what we want him to do, in terms of beating the uglies now and then, at some point an English Club will come for him, he had a good career in England and will be well known to lots of football fans south of the border, that perfect hat trick for example.

If this is how Naismith is doing just now as a rookie manager in his first season learning his trade, imagine how good he could become in future. Football not great at times but already knows how to set us up to grind out results. It actually seems like he learns from any mistakes he makes and not scared to make changes. To think this is a team he's mostly inherited too, excited to see him make his own mark on it over time.

Things are looking grand for us at the minute and surely we can only keep improving. I said from the start he deserved more time even when things weren't going well and I'm delighted the board stuck by him. The never beaten belief he's instilled into the team is superb and that comes from him as a person and player. Born winner.

Heart of Darkness
3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Preferably a threesome 🤪 

If that's what floats yer boat!! 😉 

😂😂😂

Section Q

Was looking at stats on Naismith, and not only has he been at Tynie longer than he was at any other club, his goal scoring stats are also better. Just a wee bit of trivia to ponder......👍

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2003–2007 Kilmarnock 102 (29)
2007–2012 Rangers 98 (28)
2012–2016 Everton 103 (18)
2016–2019 Norwich City 44 (6)
2018–2019  Heart of Midlothian (loan) 33 (14)
2019–2021 Heart of Midlothian 37 (10)
Total   417 (105)
International career

On 04/02/2024 at 15:23, No Idle Talk said:

It kind of does matter. Continually starting matches slowly will catch up with you at some point. I would be surprised if starting matches better and scoring a few more early goals isn't something Steven Naismith himself isn't thinking about.

It's hardly an excessive "expectation" to want to see a bit more of that from the team.

Im not sure we're really starting that slowly. In fact id say the general pattern is we start reasonably strongly, dont manage to score, lose a goal!! I find most games after 10 mins or so thinking "decent start this, but we need to score".

Exception was the Aberdeen game where we did start slow/they started better.

So, to be honest, its not a huge worry for me. We've made good early chances in games. A couple start going in, it'll make life easier!!

On 04/02/2024 at 17:40, jr ewing said:

Lets not forget hes been working with at least 5 key players missing all season and recently 7. Plus guys like Halks nursing back.

Goes under the radar massively. When we beat Aberdeen they had 1 (one) guy out. We had 7. We won.

On 04/02/2024 at 15:33, Armageddon said:

SN has definitely coached Forrest to be a better player, culled the guys on the down trajectory, and given youth the belief they have a real chance of being a first team player.

For years all 3 of the above were the complete opposite of how our life was.  Nobody got coached and improved, we were buying players on the downward section of their careers, and the youth were punted out wholesale.

Spot on.

Ok two potentially controversial points.

- Best since Burley comments. No manager since had the quality of player that Burley had. How would any of those subsequent managers do with the same squad packed with Internationals and champions of various competitions? I'd argue Jim Jeffries or Craig Levein would have gotten similar out of them.

- Starting games slowly. This one is controversial. The two best manager we have had in recent years to get our team out of the blocks in games, Gary Locke and (this is the one) Ian Cathro. Lockie purely through enthusiasm and desire. Cathro, 9/10 times, had us structurally set well from the start, but he couldn't compute adjustments on the fly when any opposition adapted mid game. One point to add around Cathro before I get the justified pelters. Those match start set-ups, almost always, didn't match the ability of the players expected to execute them. Hughes, Nowak, Sowah, Struna to name a few. lol.

PapaShango
6 minutes ago, sicknote said:

Ok two potentially controversial points.

- Best since Burley comments. No manager since had the quality of player that Burley had. How would any of those subsequent managers do with the same squad packed with Internationals and champions of various competitions? I'd argue Jim Jeffries or Craig Levein would have gotten similar out of them.

- Starting games slowly. This one is controversial. The two best manager we have had in recent years to get our team out of the blocks in games, Gary Locke and (this is the one) Ian Cathro. Lockie purely through enthusiasm and desire. Cathro, 9/10 times, had us structurally set well from the start, but he couldn't compute adjustments on the fly when any opposition adapted mid game. One point to add around Cathro before I get the justified pelters. Those match start set-ups, almost always, didn't match the ability of the players expected to execute them. Hughes, Nowak, Sowah, Struna to name a few. lol.

Those last 4 names send a chill down the spine! 

grumpyespana

Enjoy Naisie while we can as I think he will be away to Norwich or Everton in the future guys.

tartofmidlothian
13 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

Enjoy Naisie while we can as I think he will be away to Norwich or Everton in the future guys.

I think so too, but in the medium term. If he can keep us where we are for two or three seasons, then he'll get noticed.

Hes doing a job , stats don't lie, hope he's with us for a few years. 

Having worked under some great managers he must have a wealth of knowledge ,he will get better with experience as will the team under his leadership. 

Happy with the way he is giving youth a chance as well, young Tait seems to have been coached well. 

Mister Dee

Like most, I was extremely concerned with how things were going earlier in the season. 
the team have turned it around though & SN deserved credit for that. 

Results look better when a certain L Shankland is in the team though!  

https://www.heartsstandard.co.uk/news/24102480.steven-naismith-hearts-progression-connor-smith-exit/

I appreciate how clear eyed Naismith is on everything. Nothing new here, but a good reminder.

I like his answer to the Old Firm question is the goal for Hearts is to start annually being in Europe and going deep. Perfect answer. And I like his answers to the Shankland's contract situation and pointing out part of his goal is bringing in players, developing them, and selling them. Every club outside of maybe a half dozen is a selling club to someone, may as well embrace that fact. It was ambitious, but smart and clear eyed.

I think he is actually in it for a while with Hearts. He has to be financially comfortable from his playing days. I don't think a relegation fearing Championship club in England could swoop in and easily take him off our hands.

The bar for great managers at Hearts isn't super high. If he were to stay a couple more seasons, consistently finish #3, win a trophy, perhaps put some heat one season on #2, and make a good show in Europe, he'd be one of the most accomplished managers in a long time. And none of that seems out of the realm of possible

Now, I just need to carry that optimism the next time the schedule hits a rough path.

• davemclaren changed the title to Steven Naismith ( merged )