Would you send your child to a private school?

New Town Loafer

Dawnrazor

I'd have sent my son to a private school in a heartbeat if I had the money, the facilities the I've been to are amazing, my son played against Sedbergh, the local private school to us, and Milfield at rugby last year, the confidence of the kids at both schools was impressive, no push overs either for posh kids! The swimming pool and aquatic centre at Milfield was donated to rhe school by a parent at the cost of 15 million quid😳

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• il Duce McTarkin

• JudyJudyJudy

• ri Alban

• PaddysBar

henrysmithsgloves

Met too many Ruperts in my life,so a definite no , if my kids are going turn out like that😳

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'd have sent my son to a private school in a heartbeat if I had the money, the facilities the I've been to are amazing, my son played against Sedbergh, the local private school to us, and Milfield at rugby last year, the confidence of the kids at both schools was impressive, no push overs either for posh kids! The swimming pool and aquatic centre at Milfield was donated to rhe school by a parent at the cost of 15 million quid😳

Thing is right, a lot of private school kids aren’t posh kids.

Mine are proper inner city girls. We’re utterly fecking skint as a result of sending them to private school, like robbing Peter to pay Paul constantly, but sometimes you’ve got to do these things 

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Mine are proper inner city girls. We’re utterly fecking skint as a result of sending them to private school, like robbing Peter to pay Paul constantly, but sometimes you’ve got to do these things 

I know, a friend has sent his son to do 6th form at Sedbergh, he's a self employed joiner and it's costing a fortune but he can see the benefits for his son in the long term, fair play, like I said, I'd send my son in a heartbeat in a minute if I thought I could afford it.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I know, a friend has sent his son to do 6th form at Sedbergh, he's a self employed joiner and it's costing a fortune but he can see the benefits for his son in the long term, fair play, like I said, I'd send my son in a heartbeat in a minute if I thought I could afford it.

This is it. Got to be honest, the girls have loved it and that’s good enough for me. In saying that, I’d have sent them to state school if the one next to us had been reasonable 

We didn't send our daughters to a private school. Lived in Corstorphine when they were growing up , they were in Carrick Knowe and Forrie High catchment which worried my ex who would have preferred the  Corrie PS and Craigmount High route. Anyway both have degrees (from Edinburgh University and Stirling University respectively) and good jobs. 

They also (now) realise that while they had it relatively easy growing up not everyone does, including many of their class mates.

Where are the teachers at Private schools trained?  Do eg the Merchants Company pay for this or do they rely on the state funded Moray House etc to train their teachers?

CF11JamTart
13 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That's pretty much where we are at. 

Local state English-language schools don't look too clever. The Welsh government seems to putting its focus on Welsh-medium education. 

You've got the added thing down here of parents who don't speak a word of Welsh between them sending their kids to Welsh-medium school because they are perceived as better. 

Junior is a a public school with other kids from a real range of backgrounds and loves it. Some parents are loaded. Many are not. It's not all Hooray Henriettas. In fact, there's very few of them. 

So fortunately, junior is grounded. Equally she knows that she's getting no skiing trips etc. And she's fine with that. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

That's pretty much where we are at. 

Local state English-language schools don't look too clever. The Welsh government seems to putting its focus on Welsh-medium education. 

You've got the added thing down here of parents who don't speak a word of Welsh between them sending their kids to Welsh-medium school because they are perceived as better. 

Junior is a a public school with other kids from a real range of backgrounds and loves it. Some parents are loaded. Many are not. It's not all Hooray Henriettas. In fact, there's very few of them. 

So fortunately, junior is grounded. Equally she knows that she's getting no skiing trips etc. And she's fine with that. 

I always say to my pair, if anyone starts shouting the odds about how many ponies they’ve got in the paddock, tell them to stick it up their bollocks 

heartgarfunkel

Nope.  Health and education should be state provided non-negotiables.  The very best for all.

Spellczech
20 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

We didn't send our daughters to a private school. Lived in Corstorphine when they were growing up , they were in Carrick Knowe and Forrie High catchment which worried my ex who would have preferred the  Corrie PS and Craigmount High route. Anyway both have degrees (from Edinburgh University and Stirling University respectively) and good jobs. 

They also (now) realise that while they had it relatively easy growing up not everyone does, including many of their class mates.

Where are the teachers at Private schools trained?  Do eg the Merchants Company pay for this or do they rely on the state funded Moray House etc to train their teachers?

I don't think it has a great deal to do with teachers TBH.  There are good and poor teachers everywhere. There were certainly some rubbish ones at my private school. The Head of Physics could not control a class and every single class was a literal riot...but he was also the one who ran the Combined Cadet Force so they didn't sack him. I think it is important for private school teachers to have some other string to their bow other than just teaching a subject, even if it is all a bit fanciful.

I remember getting a tour of Glasgow Academy as a boy and being shown an old banger in a shed behind the gym hall "was being done up" - roll forward 6 months, and for the next 6 years I saw absolutely no sign of either that vehicle or any other being done up...It was a wheeze just to impress prospective pupils and their parents! Haha

I got sent to Fettes between 12 and 18, and have taught in a state secondary for 18 years. To be honest, the quality of teaching is pretty similar. The biggest influence is parental engagement. Good parents have a far bigger influence than which school you go to. 

Probably not. I went to a private secondary school myself. Academically it was excellent. I was on a bursary though and never really fitted in with the cliques, most of which had already formed with boys coming up from the private primary to the private secondary. I was also bullied (although that may well have also happened at public school, I was just the sort of guy folk liked to pick on!). Socially though it was pretty crap. No football, no girls. What a life. :)

Edited by redjambo

i wish jj was my dad
24 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Nope.  Health and education should be state provided non-negotiables.  The very best for all.

Precisely. Like health care, the quality of education should be guaranteed at state level. Being able to 'buy' better should never be an option. 

heartgarfunkel
15 minutes ago, Rathie83 said:

I got sent to Fettes between 12 and 18, and have taught in a state secondary for 18 years. To be honest, the quality of teaching is pretty similar. The biggest influence is parental engagement. Good parents have a far bigger influence than which school you go to. 

Nearly 18 years 😉 mental to to think it's nearly 20 years we went on the 90th anniversary McCrae's trip to celebrate finishing the PGDE!

heartgarfunkel
7 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Precisely. Like health care, the quality of education should be guaranteed at state level. Being able to 'buy' better should never be an option. 

:greatpost:

5 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Nearly 18 years 😉 mental to to think it's nearly 20 years we went on the 90th anniversary McCrae's trip to celebrate finishing the PGDE!

What a trip! The scenes outside the pub in Albert when England got punted out the Euros…

heartgarfunkel
7 minutes ago, Rathie83 said:

What a trip! The scenes outside the pub in Albert when England got punted out the Euros…

Glorious! Boozer was the 3 pigeons I think...I recall some appalled comments from other punters about 'British' soldiers from the Royal Scots being a disgrace to the uniform  for celebrating England getting booted out :jjyay:

i wish jj was my dad
34 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

:greatpost:

It's no rocket science. A basic principle of any civilised society should be to give every citizen an equal right for a good education and health care.

I'm sure some of our libertarians have a counter argument for wasting their hard earned for state interventions like that mind. 

11 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Private schools are a very divisive issue. For many parents with access to money they are a legitimate means of providing a great education for their children, not just academically but in terms of physical education, musical opportunities etc.

For others, wealthy or not, they represent much of what is wrong with historic and contemporary British society and serve to prolong the class divide that exists today. They can also foster an entitled, arrogant attitude in the attendees. Additionally, the concept that an education is something that can be bought does not sit well with many.

Growing up, I was educated at local state comprehensives, private boarding schools and international schools, so got the full schooling experience. 

So, if money was no object would you send your children to a private school? If so, why? If no, why not?

Private lessons in subjects the wee ma n finds xifficukf.

Which to be fair. aren't many.

Students often track for a lot less.

ColinSmith1255

Private schools are not an option for poor parents. I would rather we provided an excellent state school education for all kids. 
If this means taxing the rich then do it.

all our kids deserve a chance.

42 minutes ago, Ked said:

Private lessons in subjects the wee ma n finds xifficukf.

Just how xifficukf, though?  :whistling: 

The way the pupil comes out is down to them. Young woman works for me went to Watson’s as did her brother and sister. Both of the other siblings are exactly what the stereotype is, entitled and unaware of what a life without that kind of privilege is. Girl that works for me is brand new and totally gets that she was lucky. Her sister says things like “I don’t understand shay everyone doesn’t send their kids to public shchool”. Well maybe because having 3 children in private education at the same time is just a wee bit pricy if mummy isn’t a doctor and daddy isn’t a top figure in the RBS? 
And yes I would. Even though I despise the idea of elite private education I’ve seen the advantages it gives people in life. 

periodictabledancer
5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

That doesn't happen so much in the schools round me but they certainly go after the best teachers in the state system. The state trains them and provides their experience and then the private schools dangle 20% pay increases in front of the ones they hear good things about as well as promising them that they won't have to teach classes with more than 20 pupils in them. 

Where they do target kids is the ones that are good at sports. If it's a rugby school, they'll have their eye on the best players in the local clubs and offer them huge subsidy to get into the school. A lad my eldest played with at the local club was really quite decent at the age of 11 or so. The local private school offered him all sorts of scholarships but the dad still didn't have sufficient disposable income to pay even 20% fees plus books, uniform, sports equipment, etc. so he stayed at the state comp. 

The problems with drugs, booze and rowdiness are as bad at private schools as they are at any other school. Part of the issue being that the kids (or their parents) have more money, so laying out on a few bottles of voddie and some ching isn't a concern.

Fair enough , it's all about ones personal experience and I'm happy to accept what you're saying.

In my neighbourhood the grammar school and local private boys  school actively seek out plebs from the state schools and the competition is intense. So much so, you can add £60K to the price od a house compared to one 4 miles away. Our town of 15, 000 is scheduled to increase by 60% over the next decade and it's all on the back of schools. 

My lad was miles ahead of his peer group in primary school (said his teachers) but we found out his mates were  being tutored privately ( a decision we consciously said we would not follow : if the  kids aren't up to it then they wouldn't go ). 

I don't have an issue with my kids not going but it's very noticeable the cache  that's attached to having attended those schools. It's assumed that pupils universally do better/ are better  ergo those schools are better. But you're comparing apples with oranges. 

Ultimately my daughter refused a grammar school place and got a 1st class honours degree anyway but it wasn't until she went to uni I understood what a driven person  she was .  she wasn't like that as a11 year old. 

The difference being, it is assumed/taken for granted the kids are driven (complete nonsense - it's the parents) and they go through this process of elite exam passes and carry on their journey into the next phase of their education  which their asprirng parents have mapped out for them. It's a conveyor belt of elitism & privelege. 

Of course most people would agree that everyone deserves equal access to a good education but in the real world it just doesn’t work like that. What happens is that most people who have the means and either don’t want to/can’t afford to go private will buy homes in areas with good state schools, indirectly paying for a better education anyway. 

The reality is in certain state schools ( a good few in Edinburgh I can think of) even if a child is bright and wants to learn, the sheer volume of disruptive/violent/feral children makes it almost impossible for them to achieve anything, as the league tables will attest to. These problems can usually be traced back to the parents and what the kids are learning/witnessing at home at home, so I’m not sure there’s a great deal the state can do about it. I’ll be ****ed if I’m sending my children into an environment like that.

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

😂😂😂😂😂

in the real world, our society doesn’t give equal opportunity to people education wise. Never has and never will. You don’t get a equal education amongst two states schools along the road 🤷‍♂️

Thats nothing to do with private education but more to with the standard of education in the state sector. A standard that has been falling in Scotland for some time and objectively not a particularly high stabdard. 

The availability of private education does not determine the standard of state system FFS. 

People don’t sent their kids to education in a belief it will make them ‘smarter’, their education level is pretty much determined by genes. It’s about providing them with an environment and opportunity to be the best version of themselves.

State schools are designed for the lowest common denominator. This means resources are focused on those who will waste them most 🤷🏻‍♂️. That’s not the case with private school, where the teaching is tailored to individual pupils. 

One of the main reason the environment is better at private schools is due to the nature of the parents. They undoubtably view education much more important than most people (certainly someone like you) and certainly more than the state do. This does tend to produce more focussed pupils in general terms, albeit kids and families still have issues irrespective of finances. Whilst, having the financial means to send your kids to school means you have done financially fairly well. That's probably in part being smarter than your average bear. That gets reflected in kids genes and educational level. 

State school standards may be acceptable to most people but I want better opportunities for my kids. I will give my kids every opportunity in life they can get. You might think that's unfair but who gives a duck, life ain't fair. A lesson people need to learn early on. 

Some of the inverted snobbery of this thread is mental. Hey though prejudiced people struggle to hide their prejudices 😉

I don't look it at wasting cash by the way. I look as an investment in my children and their future. Like all investments their is no guarantee it pays off but early signs are good and past history tends to support the notion that private education result in better outcomes. 

As aside, in the real world private health care is far superior to NHS. Something being ‘free’ or state run does not result in a good quality of service. Actually results in the opposite, as we see with education as well. It results in the bear minimum of service. People will choose private providers as they provide a better level of service. Nothing surprising about that. 

Relying on the state is the trademark of a fool. Education standards in Scotland have been falling for some time. You may be happy sending your kids to a failing system, I ain't. My kids are way more important than that. 

👏👏

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

State schools are designed for the lowest common denominator. This means resources are focused on those who will waste them most 🤷🏻‍♂️. That’s not the case with private school, where the teaching is tailored to individual pupils.

There are some *very small* private schools where that might be the case, but it certainly wasn't my experience and I'm sure it isn't the norm.

Edited by redjambo

Just now, Lord BJ said:

My kids go to one of the largest private schools in Edinburgh. It most certainly the case nowadays. 

I've witnessed first hand with my daughter. I won't go into details but they are quite individualised in their approach to learning now. 

Aye, well I suppose it is quite a number of years since I went to school. I'm glad to hear that is the case now, at least in your experience.

Roxy Hearts

I think privately educated are conditioned rather than taught! I've got 3 daughters, 1 a teacher, another got her own business and  1 with an admin job. All happy with their lives. All went to Gylemuir, 2 to Craigmount and 1 to Forresters. Youngest, who's the teacher also went to university.

Mrs Roxy's brother was privately educated. He's a Hibby so education not worked 😅

Bungalow Bill

It’s a yes for me. I didn’t go to private school but my wife did. I just want what’s best for my son, if we can afford to send him (and he gets in) then he’ll go. It will complicate our life sending him due to the extra travel, and put pressure on finances but I honestly believe it’s worth it. 

i wish jj was my dad
47 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂😂😂😂😂

in the real world, our society doesn’t give equal opportunity to people education wise. Never has and never will. You don’t get a equal education amongst two states schools along the road 🤷‍♂️

Thats nothing to do with private education but more to with the standard of education in the state sector. A standard that has been falling in Scotland for some time and objectively not a particularly high stabdard. 

The availability of private education does not determine the standard of state system FFS. 

People don’t sent their kids to education in a belief it will make them ‘smarter’, their education level is pretty much determined by genes. It’s about providing them with an environment and opportunity to be the best version of themselves.

One of the main reason the environment is better at private schools is due to the nature of the parents. They undoubtably view education much more important than most people (certainly someone like you) and certainly more than the state do. This does tend to produce more focussed pupils in general terms, albeit kids and families still have issues irrespective of finances. Whilst, having the financial means to send your kids to school means you have done financially fairly well. That's probably in part being smarter than your average bear. That gets reflected in kids genes and educational level. 

State school standards may be acceptable to most people but I want better opportunities for my kids. I will give my kids every opportunity in life they can get. You might think that's unfair but who gives a duck, life ain't fair. A lesson people need to learn early on. 

Some of the inverted snobbery of this thread is mental. Hey though prejudiced people struggle to hide their prejudices 😉

I don't look it at wasting cash by the way. I look as an investment in my children and their future. Like all investments their is no guarantee it pays off but early signs are good and past history tends to support the notion that private education result in better outcomes. 

As aside, in the real world private health care is far superior to NHS. Something being ‘free’ or state run does not result in a good quality of service. Actually results in the opposite, as we see with education as well. It results in the bear minimum of service. People will choose private providers as they provide a better level of service. Nothing surprising about that. 

Relying on the state is the trademark of a fool. Education standards in Scotland have been falling for some time. You may be happy sending your kids to a failing system, I ain't. My kids are way more important than that. 

You could have stopped after your first paragraph and it would have saved the rest of your rant. 

Inn the real world society doesn't we don't have equal standards of education or health care but we should. Those things should be a right not a privilege. 

And as for your final sentence, everybody's kids are important enough for that. However, while you were banging your top hat off the keyboard you might have missed the examples I offered of the state succeeding and the private sector failing. 

i wish jj was my dad
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Ahh the the projection of anger 😂😂

Whether we should or not doesn't matter, it's what we have you have to deal with is important. 

No I got your examples. Yip people from state school can succeed and private schools fail. No denying that, however, in general the outcomes are better for privately educated kids. That's why people send their kids their. A concept you seem to have struggled with. 

I haven't struggled with anything. I have no problem with folk who pay for their kids eduction. Folk have the right to do what they think is best especially when it comes to their kids. The point you are struggling with is that they shouldn't have to. Ensuring that all our kids get the best possible start in life should be the priority. 

i wish jj was my dad
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Your posting suggest otherwise.

Yet you agreed with a post that health and education  should be State provided and that should be non negotiable and stated ‘buying better’ shouldn't be an option. 

Thats condrictarory😂

So you want to clarify your position? It's almost like your struggling to understand 🤣🤣🤣

They shouldn't have to but they do as the state don't provide a acceptable standard. They providing a falling standard and that won't change. It's a race to the bottom where chance of success are limited. 

Until the standard is acceptable its not surprising people look at alternatives. 

I don't see the contradiction. The state should provide the best education for all our kids. That doesn't mean it should prevent people from paying for private education but it should mean it is unnecessary. 

All the laughing emojis don't change that and you've acknowledged yourself with your comment 'until the state...etc' I

I get that you pay for your kids education and don't know if you are taking offence because a debate about state v private education is implied criticism of your life choices. It's not. 

doctor jambo
44 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I haven't struggled with anything. I have no problem with folk who pay for their kids eduction. Folk have the right to do what they think is best especially when it comes to their kids. The point you are struggling with is that they shouldn't have to. Ensuring that all our kids get the best possible start in life should be the priority. 

Here the thing.

the best possible start in life is the responsibility of the parents .

the state should provide a basic standard of service to everyone.

and it does

the fact people do not utilise it and make the most of it is not the fault of the state .

Why do many kids ( and I include me) get through state school with great results?

And some get none.

parents parents parents

might as well let kids leave school at 14, then let the other kids get on with their education.

the leavers can go to college or whatever

schools have gone from places of learning to places to teach kids how to speak, toilet train, eat, behave , identify.

private schools do what they are meant to .

state schools are surrogate parents.

Mine ended up in private school because a kid kept assaulting him and the school did nothing as “ the other kid has the right to an education “

i wish jj was my dad
Just now, doctor jambo said:

Here the thing.

the best possible start in life is the responsibility of the parents .

the state should provide a basic standard of service to everyone.

and it does

the fact people do not utilise it and make the most of it is not the fault of the state .

Why do many kids ( and I include me) get through state school with great results?

And some get none.

parents parents parents

might as well let kids leave school at 14, then let the other kids get on with their education.

the leavers can go to college or whatever

schools have gone from places of learning to places to teach kids how to speak, toilet train, eat, behave , identify.

private schools do what they are meant to .

Mine ended up in private school because a kid kept assaulting him and the school did nothing as “ the other kid has the right to an education “

I don't actually disagree with a lot of this. Of course parents have a responsibility and should always do what is right for their kids but equally society has a duty of care to all our kids and for me that includes providing the best education possible. 

I recognise the situation you describe with the bullying and completely empathise. Something similar happened with my own daughter with a kid who could only be described as feral and she was absolutely terrified. However, the school's handling of the situation was exemplary and they completely got my point. As much as I understood that kid had issues it didn't give her the right to inflict them on anybody else. I've no idea what happened to her but they certainly sorted it for my wee yin. 

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

A number of friends who are teachers complain that they are more social worker than teacher, and that in the classroom,  crowd control takes up far more time and energy than teaching.

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

And yes I would. Even though I despise the idea of elite private education I’ve seen the advantages it gives people in life. 

This. A brother of mine being a prime example. He'd have done well whichever school he'd attended, but the contacts and cronyism afforded by his private school education opened doors which would have been forever closed to him otherwise. Not fair, but hey ho.

Spellczech
9 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I don't actually disagree with a lot of this. Of course parents have a responsibility and should always do what is right for their kids but equally society has a duty of care to all our kids and for me that includes providing the best education possible. 

I recognise the situation you describe with the bullying and completely empathise. Something similar happened with my own daughter with a kid who could only be described as feral and she was absolutely terrified. However, the school's handling of the situation was exemplary and they completely got my point. As much as I understood that kid had issues it didn't give her the right to inflict them on anybody else. I've no idea what happened to her but they certainly sorted it for my wee yin. 

I think the state school system tries but whether it succeeds is another matter. Clearly it worked for your child and not for Doctor Jambo's...I think the problem is that there is a big social work aspect to being a teacher in the state school system. Whether this is having to give more time than they should to prop up the provision of assistance to the learning difficulties kids who someone on high thinks have to be included in the same classroom, trying to help out deprived kids horrid home situations (breakfast clubs etc) or trying to decide when to keep or exclude feral kids and bullies (I suspect State schools have a higher tolerance for misbehaviour as well as fewer options to remedy it.

i wish jj was my dad
37 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I think the state school system tries but whether it succeeds is another matter. Clearly it worked for your child and not for Doctor Jambo's...I think the problem is that there is a big social work aspect to being a teacher in the state school system. Whether this is having to give more time than they should to prop up the provision of assistance to the learning difficulties kids who someone on high thinks have to be included in the same classroom, trying to help out deprived kids horrid home situations (breakfast clubs etc) or trying to decide when to keep or exclude feral kids and bullies (I suspect State schools have a higher tolerance for misbehaviour as well as fewer options to remedy it.

It's a horribly complex situation and must be difficult for schools to get the balance right but while I was obviously  focused on the interests and welfare of my own daughter, I have often wondered what became of the other lassie.  There have been plenty of other threads that examine what can happen for those kids that get left behind. 

doctor jambo
4 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It's a horribly complex situation and must be difficult for schools to get the balance right but while I was obviously  focused on the interests and welfare of my own daughter, I have often wondered what became of the other lassie.  There have been plenty of other threads that examine what can happen for those kids that get left behind. 

It doesn’t have to be.

Schools should educate.

That should be it.

Hand everything else to parents or social work.

If your child cannot behave in school and is disruptive , they should be taken out until they are ready.

Other kids have the right to learn in a conducive environment.

Not toilet trained?

Not able to learn?

Dont go to school until you are.

parenting programs until you fo

il Duce McTarkin

Private schoos are for pretentious posho wanks with wee cocks. Fact.

Spellczech
36 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It doesn’t have to be.

Schools should educate.

That should be it.

Hand everything else to parents or social work.

If your child cannot behave in school and is disruptive , they should be taken out until they are ready.

Other kids have the right to learn in a conducive environment.

Not toilet trained?

Not able to learn?

Dont go to school until you are.

parenting programs until you fo

As I said above, socialism rules in schools. Inclusivity is probably the most divisive word in the dictionary at the moment...

Someone needs to wake up in the public sector and realise that if the pot of money is limited then you have to prioritise, and if that means pushing responsibility back onto parents then so be it. Irresponsible people get away with far too much in a nanny state. 

15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Just how xifficukf, though?  :whistling: 

Buddy as you can probably tell I've been a bit ....dunno what you calk it.

Somehow I knew what I meant.

😆👍

2 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

As someone who didn't attend one I agree on the cock part.

Honest I do.

Didn't see your answer though would you if loaded ?

the posh bit
5 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

A brother of mine being a prime example. He'd have done well whichever school he'd attended, but the contacts and cronyism afforded by his private school education opened doors which would have been forever closed to him otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

We need more toxic sibling rivalry, IMO. 

il Duce McTarkin
6 minutes ago, Ked said:

Would I ****. In fact, I'd discourage them from attending school altogether and punt them into the army at 16 in the hope that they'd be sent off the Middle East to shoot the natives.

7 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

We need more toxic sibling rivalry, IMO. 

He's actualy a right good ^***, and in keeping with the family genetics is hung like a bull. Still a pretentious posho wank, mind, but backs it up pretty well for a boy from the highrise flats.

doctor jambo
14 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

As I said above, socialism rules in schools. Inclusivity is probably the most divisive word in the dictionary at the moment...

Someone needs to wake up in the public sector and realise that if the pot of money is limited then you have to prioritise, and if that means pushing responsibility back onto parents then so be it. Irresponsible people get away with far too much in a nanny state. 

Agreed. Medicine is the same.

Everyone feels entitled to everything .

State is responsible for everything.

Bed blocking - if the person is fit to go, they go.

Hospitals job done - out you go,

To any care home that’s there.

Time for schools and hospitals to do their actual jobs .

19 minutes ago, Ked said:

As someone who didn't attend one I agree on the cock part.

Honest I do.

You've tweaked my interest, Ked.

I'll be blunt - do you have a whopper?

We have already found out today that Mr McTarkin has.  I know I have.  I suspect you do, and a germ of an idea about starting a sub-forum for large members has entered my mind.

:biggrin:

Spellczech
12 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Agreed. Medicine is the same.

Everyone feels entitled to everything .

State is responsible for everything.

Bed blocking - if the person is fit to go, they go.

Hospitals job done - out you go,

To any care home that’s there.

Time for schools and hospitals to do their actual jobs .

Yep the wrong people are in charge in all areas of the public sector. Management is a closed shop reserved for the instiutionalised. Policy is decided by consensus which inevitably panders to the softest, most well-meaning, but utterly impossibly aims. 

Re medicine I watched an excellent 2-parter on Sky documentaries about the opiod epidemic and big pharma in US. It was shocking viewing, and if you watch it, I guarantee you will remove Obama as your avatar! (edit - just read the words accompanying the pic on the avatar - you will probably keep it!)

Edited by Spellczech

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Yep the wrong people are in charge in all areas of the public sector. Management is a closed shop reserved for the instiutionalised. Policy is decided by consensus which inevitably panders to the softest, most well-meaning, but utterly impossibly aims. 

Re medicine I watched an excellent 2-parter on Sky documentaries about the opiod epidemic and big pharma in US. It was shocking viewing, and if you watch it, I guarantee you will remove Obama as your avatar!

Too afraid to upset anyone.

State dependency .

Encouraged by the state.

the state needs rolled back to its basic functions .

Then it could afford itself .

20 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Would I ****. In fact, I'd discourage them from attending school altogether and punt them into the army at 16 in the hope that they'd be sent off the Middle East to shoot the natives.

He's actualy a right good ^***, and in keeping with the family genetics is hung like a bull. Still a pretentious posho wank, mind, but backs it up pretty well for a boy from the highrise flats.

🤣🤣🤣

That kind of day mate.

😂

New Town Loafer
22 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

This is the correct attitude.