Luis Rubiales - Spanish FA president

Captain Holt

42 minutes ago, carnockjambo said:

Quite a bit of misogyny on this thread. The Spanish FA are old school misogynists and the Spanish Gov are calling them out for this. She didn’t ask to be kissed, he did it against her will. He has history as do Spanish F A. Old Guys not happy that they don’t get their way. 

Exactly this. He has a history of it. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• tian447

• milky_26

• Nerja Jambo

Thunder and Lightning

He should have been sacked. Not afforded the time to step down. 

No surprise to see certain posters making allowances for him. 

Go for it 1308
41 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

People aren't really expecting him to banged up like a nonce and resignation is simple solution that he's desperate to avoid.

I think most people are aware he got carried away and did something very inappropriate rather than malicious.

The next step needs to be apologise and resign as it was a clear abuse of power but he's instead tried to show that she consented which is incredible and wrong.

Yep👍

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Might just be me, but he seems caught up in the moment,  some cultures  always kiss as a way of affection and greeting folk.

First time I've seen this, I thought he maybe grabbed her over or something. 

If it's on the cheek, no one cares.

He should appoligise for his outburst and loss of control, but he's clearly emotional and happy. A quick Google search of " football players kissing in celebration" brings up thousands of images. 

I'd say it was excitement, celebration as opposed to abuse or assault.

My wife and her friend also thinks the same, they laughed at it when I showed them, couldn't believe the fuss.

Tin hat on.

I agree. I thnk it's just the time we live in where people want to create a fuss about anything. My wife also thought it was a storm in a teacup. The woman concerned seemed ok with it and pats him on the back as she walks away. I think she's getting pressure to make an issue of it. But boy... is it spoiling the Spanish team's achievement.

4 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

I agree. I thnk it's just the time we live in where people want to create a fuss about anything. My wife also thought it was a storm in a teacup. The woman concerned seemed ok with it and pats him on the back as she walks away. I think she's getting pressure to make an issue of it. But boy... is it spoiling the Spanish team's achievement.

Had the Spanish FA president been a woman, maybe even a gay or transgender woman, if there is such a thing as a woman who is not a woman being a woman, not a thing would have been said... would there?

AlphonseCapone
53 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm a bit torn on it. Initially I didn't see the big deal, it's not like he's given a big snog. It looks like a display of platonic affection for someone in many cultures. Equally, I do see how it's an issue if it made her uncomfortable and he shouldn't have done it. 

For me, if he'd apologized properly and said he was caught up in the moment and owned it a bit more then it would have blown over.

As an aside, where does making people uncomfortable cross the line though? People make other people uncomfortable all the time and it's not an issue.

I do think his and the Spanish FA's response has really exacerbated things. The player herself may well have accepted it and we'd have moved on.

In terms of a line for making people uncomfortable, I'd say physical contact is a very, easy minimum line. Don't touch someone unless you're really sure they're ok with 

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Had the Spanish FA president been a woman, maybe even a gay or transgender woman, if there is such a thing as a woman who is not a woman being a woman, not a thing would have been said... would there?

😂 word salad 

Some absolute roasters on this thread playing this down, Hermoso's statement says it all, he should resign and the coterie of idiots and facilitators applauding him yesterday should also go. Just to add some context, these are the same people in the Spanish FA who have routinely done absolutely nothing about the open racism in many Spanish grounds, the most visible being the disgusting abuse aimed at Vinicius Jr. The actions or lack of actions of these people in authority create an environment that allows misogyny and racism to exist and flourish among fans.

2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I think the President of the Spanish FA kissing the men's captain might get a few columns.

Surely only counts if tongues are used?

16 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I do think his and the Spanish FA's response has really exacerbated things. The player herself may well have accepted it and we'd have moved on.

In terms of a line for making people uncomfortable, I'd say physical contact is a very, easy minimum line. Don't touch someone unless you're really sure they're ok with 

Probably more for the shed but why physical contact? If you shook my hand and it made me uncomfortable would that make you in the wrong? Would I be owed an apology? Your resignation? Hugs? Do people need to ask if the recipient is okay with one? What about verbally applying pressure on someone to get them out of their comfort zone (at work maybe, or in a sports team) that made them uncomfortable, is that wrong?

I just feel we're in a place where people are demonised on the basis of making someone else uncomfortable. Everyone's comfort level is different, and even then, do we have a right to not feel uncomfortable?

The above isn't in relation to this, as I agree, kissing someone is a quite obvious minefield but the reasoning that it's wrong as she was uncomfortable isn't so clear cut to me.

Edit: also not suggesting those hypotheticals are okay. I'm a pretty reserved person so wouldn't be opposed to a no touching someone without explicit okaying up front. I think it would cause problems though.

Edited by Taffin

4 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Surely only counts if tongues are used?

Really in these enlightened times ? I doubt it actually but yes maybe if tongues were lashing furiously 😅

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yeah, a bit daft. Apologise,  say you're over emotional, etc .

They've went down a ridiculous route.

Here's how it works, in this day & age:   There's a cabal of men-haters out there, like pure hatred like, that have a franchise in every country, in every walk of life, that scours the news/events looking for potential outrage. They latch onto it like a pitbull at yer crotch, and will refuse to let go until you're ****ed!

The sooner folks wise up and realise this the sooner we can get on with addressing the most important things in life! :thumbsup:

Pasquale for King

Has to go, shocking that he’s clinging on and that they’re FA after trying to force the player into saying there was no problem haven’t sacked him. 
Wheres that crooked ***** Infantino?

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Some absolute roasters on this thread playing this down, Hermoso's statement says it all, he should resign and the coterie of idiots and facilitators applauding him yesterday should also go. Just to add some context, these are the same people in the Spanish FA who have routinely done absolutely nothing about the open racism in many Spanish grounds, the most visible being the disgusting abuse aimed at Vinicius Jr. The actions or lack of actions of these people in authority create an environment that allows misogyny and racism to exist and flourish among fans.

Scary eh 🤦🏽

4 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Here's how it works, in this day & age:   There's a cabal of men-haters out there, like pure hatred like, that have a franchise in every country, in every walk of life, that scours the news/events looking for potential outrage. They latch onto it like a pitbull at yer crotch, and will refuse to let go until you're ****ed!

The sooner folks wise up and realise this the sooner we can get on with addressing the most important things in life! :thumbsup:

It was his own hand on his crotch not a pitbull, luckily for him. 🥸

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It was his own hand on his crotch not a pitbull, luckily for him. 🥸

Exactly!

been here before

Hopefully they throw the book at this winning racehorse owner abusing the winning jockey the othrr day at York by assaulting him in a way he didnt consent to...

...double standards anyone?

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Might just be me, but he seems caught up in the moment,  some cultures  always kiss as a way of affection and greeting folk.

First time I've seen this, I thought he maybe grabbed her over or something. 

If it's on the cheek, no one cares.

He should appoligise for his outburst and loss of control, but he's clearly emotional and happy. A quick Google search of " football players kissing in celebration" brings up thousands of images. 

I'd say it was excitement, celebration as opposed to abuse or assault.

My wife and her friend also thinks the same, they laughed at it when I showed them, couldn't believe the fuss.

Tin hat on.

It's not part of Spanish culture to kiss a woman on the lips without her consent. It's part of the culture to greet each other with a kiss on each cheek. Crazy justification for his actions. If someone at work kissed an employee on the lips without their consent, they'd clearly be in serious trouble in Spain or the UK.

Edited by Stanley_

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. That's got **** all to do with this though. In this occasion, only 1 person instigated incident and only 1 person can remedy situation. 

The female player did nothing to provoke or request the kiss. To threaten her with legal action and to demand all players must play if selected shows just how desperate this old man's club has become.

Male players have already refused to play for Spain if he doesn't leave. 

He has to resign.

The Spanish FA have doubled down - quite extraordinary their reaction and intention to sue.

I hope she crowdfunds and counter sues that sex pest and the FA protecting him.

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. That's got **** all to do with this though. In this occasion, only 1 person instigated incident and only 1 person can remedy situation. 

The female player did nothing to provoke or request the kiss. To threaten her with legal action and to demand all players must play if selected shows just how desperate this old man's club has become.

He has to resign.

That's kinda my point, he's being naive if he thinks, in his position especially at such an event he can get away with 'exuberant' behaviour. I barely kiss my own family in public, if at all these days! :lol:  hmmm, maybe I now get his angle! interesting!

Kinda like how some senior males especially in football management, thinking Mou and Pep get away with that face/cheek squeeze and a slap on the buttocks, respectively.  That face squeeze would wind me up silly, to the point I'd be hard pressed not to lose it!  It's a good tactic but plainly wrong as well.

Bazzas right boot

The incident on it's own is imo a non event due ti the circumstances ( i exoected a far more creepy/ harassment tyoe clip), however he seems to have a past and a history of sexual harassment and generally poor behaviour so this incident may eventually nail him and if his history as reported us true, it's a good thing.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

He has to resign.

Fair.

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

There is,and I'd agree if it was just this incident,  however he seems to be a creepy ******* with a history. 

jamboinglasgow

The reactions from some here are exactly what the issue is that Women footballers have. All the defence is that he got a bit carried away, he was too excited its not that big a deal. But that undermines the key person in this, the woman who got kissed and didn't want to be. The Spanish FA could have come out strong against Rubiales and made it clear that its never acceptable to kiss someone without their consent, but they decided protecting the president was more important that supporting the player and Women's football.

It was made worse they put out a forged statement from the player to make out she was backing the president. Rubiales actions (and the applauding of him) yesterday when he refused to resign showed him up as he is. That they are now trying to sue the player is insane, there must be some PR guy at the Spanish FA tearing their hair out at how the Spanish FA are diggning themselves deeper into a hole.

AlphonseCapone
41 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Probably more for the shed but why physical contact? If you shook my hand and it made me uncomfortable would that make you in the wrong? Would I be owed an apology? Your resignation? What about verbally applying pressure on someone to get them out of their comfort zone (at work maybe, or in a sports team) that made them uncomfortable, is that wrong?

I just feel we're in a place where people are demonised on the basis of making someone else uncomfortable. Everyone's comfort level is different, and even then, do we have a right to not feel uncomfortable?

The above isn't in relation to this, as I agree, kissing someone is a quite obvious minefield but the reasoning that it's wrong as she was uncomfortable isn't so clear cut to me.

Well obviously there are nuances, I'm not the official arbitration mate haha but I'll give try to give a valid response on how I see it. If I stick my hand out to shake yours and you don't want to, that's your choice, if I then grab your hand and make you shake it then I've crossed the line into being a prick and you can rightly call me out. Now there are levels to this.

That action doesn't mean I should lose my job imo. You might reasonably ask what is the line for that and all I can say is it is clearly complicated but kissing, touching certain body parts are clearly a different category as we move into the realms of a sexual nature.

You're right, people have different comfortable levels and someone being uncomfortable isn't the defining factor but it's important to the context. It's ridiculously complicated and I don't think it could ever be distilled into concrete rules. That's why context is important to me.

Anyway, definitely veered into shed territory.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The reactions from some here are exactly what the issue is that Women footballers have. All the defence is that he got a bit carried away, he was too excited its not that big a deal. But that undermines the key person in this, the woman who got kissed and didn't want to be. The Spanish FA could have come out strong against Rubiales and made it clear that its never acceptable to kiss someone without their consent, but they decided protecting the president was more important that supporting the player and Women's football.

It was made worse they put out a forged statement from the player to make out she was backing the president. Rubiales actions (and the applauding of him) yesterday when he refused to resign showed him up as he is. That they are now trying to sue the player is insane, there must be some PR guy at the Spanish FA tearing their hair out at how the Spanish FA are diggning themselves deeper into a hole.

Spot on

the posh bit
1 hour ago, jock _turd said:

FFS 😁

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Great post.

33 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

There is,and I'd agree if it was just this incident,  however he seems to be a creepy ******* with a history. 

People are bringing other behaviour into it, which is fine if he has transgressed in other ways. I certainly thought the crotch grabbing was more inappropriate. However, in isolation, the kiss on the lips in an exuberant moment only justified an apology.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Can we have a special section of jkb just for halfwits too?

Quite a few volunteering for "Rapey Corner", too.

Makes it easier for the Police to eliminate them from their enquiries into future cases of sexual assault, though.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, tcjambo said:

People are bringing other behaviour into it, which is fine if he has transgressed in other ways. I certainly thought the crotch grabbing was more inappropriate. However, in isolation, the kiss on the lips in an exuberant moment only justified an apology.

Agreed and I was going on the clip only, not past behaviour or the FA turning it around and trying to twist it which is just weird in itself. 

2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

The boy is clearly a complete arsehole and probably a very sleazy individual. So he’s getting his likely comeuppance for a catalogue of questionable shit.

This particular incident and the global press it is getting also shows just how insane the world has become. Really it’s total nothing burger but the constantly offended by everything brigade are all over it. 

For me both things can be true. 

Correct and some posters calling people roasters for disagreeing just shows how intolerant some people are of debate.

He might just have survived if he'd apologised immediately, caught up on the moment etc but his denial, then justification and arrogance make his sacking albeit by 1000 cuts, inevitable. Spanish FA now also in deep poo for backing him. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Quite a few volunteering for "Rapey Corner", too.

Makes it easier for the Police to eliminate them from their enquiries into future cases of sexual assault, though.

If you're gonna come out with stuff like that you should name the posters and report them.

Otherwise you look like a wee coward who is acusing folk of being rapey over the Internet which is bang out of order.

You're Also seriously downplaying rape as a crime with your churlish comments about police enquiries and possible future assault. 

Horrific post.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

See all the folk saying it didn't look that bad, it's not really the point is it? It's not a case of rating it out of 10 for badness then deciding what to do. The lassie herself said she didn't want him to do it and was very uncomfortable. End of story man. Why are men always trying to find justifications for other men being ****ing weirdos. Don't randomly kiss other folk on the mouth like that, it's not hard unless you're a creep.

This.

If the bald creep was a player would he want Elton John forcing his lips on him, you know just because... high spirits etc?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

The boy is clearly a complete arsehole and probably a very sleazy individual. So he’s getting his likely comeuppance for a catalogue of questionable shit.

This particular incident and the global press it is getting also shows just how insane the world has become. Really it’s total nothing burger but the constantly offended by everything brigade are all over it. 

For me both things can be true. 

Good summary. 

The Treasurer

Looks like someone who got carried away in the moment. 

Had he apologised right away then I think this could have been the end of the matter. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Hopefully they throw the book at this winning racehorse owner abusing the winning jockey the othrr day at York by assaulting him in a way he didnt consent to...

...double standards anyone?

Unfortunately the world is where it's at.

The middle left really need to reign in the far left.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

This.

If the bald creep was a player would he want Elton John forcing his lips on him, you know just because... high spirits etc?

Be a bit weird tbh, folk would probably ask why Elton John was on the pitch in the first place.

I'd wager Elton John has kissed folk when celebrating an event or success. 

It's not that uncommon

article-2524312-1A216B9800000578-565_634x421.jpg

cannes-france-21-mai-1998-l-actrice-sharon-stone-pop-star-kiss-sir-elton-john-apres-avoir-effectue-pour-la-charite-a-l-amfars-cinema-against-aids-gala-au-moulin-de-mougins-france-t19ehg.jpg

Unknown user
3 hours ago, underwaterwoodwelder said:

He is a total wrongun.

Weirdo 

Suspect 

His Internet history would be an interesting read I'm sure. 

Hey stop making me like him

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Never had this issue when Megan Rapinoe was lifting trophies. 

The English were furious someone raised a pinky finger in celebration, after that one. It's hilarious when they realise they're Tom Kite.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo