*** Heart Of Midlothian Vs PAOK *** Official Match Thread

Masonic

Jambof3tornado

Any win thanks Hearts although I think we'll see much less of the ball than we did in both legs of the rosenborg ties.

Chances wont come easy so we'll need to be clinical and hope Zander is on top form.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daavojaay

• Bazzas right boot

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Clark Griswold

heartsfc_fan

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Sibbick Devlin

McKay Boyce Cochrane

Shankland

(Guess) unsure how fit Oda is I doubt Denholm will start this one

Boyce hattrick. 

The man deserves to play for us in a group campaign.

🎶Make some noise the baldie Boyce is going to Europe.🎶

Buzzing for tomorrow, but slightly apprehensive.

We really need to play our part again. Plenty of drink before hand and get those singing voices at the ready!

Edited by D4nny_

Need to watch the boy Zivkovic! Mark Donaldson saying that Offiah would be better placed due to his physique to handle him than Atkinson on the SATF podcast, 

What if we started both and got them to double up on him/stop him putting crosses in etc.

I wouldn't mind something like

Clark

Offiah Kent Rowles Cochrane

Atkinson Devlin Denholm Mckay

Boyce 

Shankland 

We could also get either Cochrane or Offiah stepping into midfield and change shape to a 3-5-2 at different points.

Legend Claws
3 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Sibbick Devlin

McKay Boyce Cochrane

Shankland

(Guess) unsure how fit Oda is I doubt Denholm will start this one

Why Sibbick in MF? It's not his position, people need to stop this.

gorgierulesapply88
5 hours ago, A_Greek said:

Guys, in my opinion, raising a banner about Alkis is not going to be a wise action. As the well known statement says: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Right now, PAOK fans have no bad feelings about Hearts fans, no PAOK fan is gonna cause any harm. But the situation in Greece is more complicated than you think, especially when it comes to Ultras fans. As for Alkis, 99,9% of PAOK fans base have condemned his murder. PAOK fans are not murders or uncivilised people, they are just passionate with their team as well as any other fan in the world. Unfortunately, every big greek team has 100-200 individuals who has are violent bricks. Usually, those guys acts revengefully and a banner for Alkis it will be considered as a provocation for sure.

Peace

image.png.54a4a65f07863f57b4977a324a44d6e7.png

These things are few and far between in football violence. Crazy that in Europe it seems to be the norm to carry a blade/knife for me it's never been about that. Not many people understand the scene, nor why people do it. The people who do it are not necessarily bad people either, most working men who have family etc. 

Hearts played Zagreb, at Tynecastle. They came with some coaches 70 seaters, and there was a small skirmish with BBB along the road from the stadium but it was minor. 

3 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

I think Naismith might have encouraged thus a little bit at the weekend to be fair. 

4 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

If he plays, which I think he might, it's pretty obvious what he brings. Sibbick and Devlin combined have energy and would be used primarily to break up attacks. 

42 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Tough tough game coming up tonight. Vid from PAOK 

They look all over the place at the wee circle one touch at the end under pressure. A fast in their face approach tonight is a must 100mph stuff no time on the ball.

heartsfc_fan
5 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

Haring and Beni injured. Who else do you play?

Denholm, maybe at a push.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Bainy said:

They look all over the place at the wee circle one touch at the end under pressure. A fast in their face approach tonight is a must 100mph stuff no time on the ball.

They have also sped up parts of the footage up to make themselves look faster which is a bit of comedy but, good video anyway, clearly they expect a tough game. 

I enjoyed some of the looks of surprise when players looked out at Tynecastle. As players, you’d imagine such a buzz for that, you don’t get stadiums like ours in Greece. 

kingantti1874

It annoys me that teams the PAOK, who are a smallish club are able to field a team with 3/4 times the value of our team.  

My observation from the home games v istanbul and fiorentina last season were, never in the history of cup shocks has the smaller team sat back and allowed the big team all the possession.

So I'm thinking, get f cking intae them..

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

It annoys me that teams the PAOK, who are a smallish club are able to field a team with 3/4 times the value of our team.  

I think TM does reflect that values of players in Scotland are quite lower than mostly everywhere else and we could certainly get more than the ridiculous €16M that our squad is valued at

It's well worth a thread, regarding expected fees, minimum and maximum, that sort of thing

It'd be great to see more real numbers, because obviously €16M is utter horseshit :lol:

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I think TM does reflect that values of players in Scotland are quite lower than mostly everywhere else and we could certainly get more than the ridiculous €16M that our squad is valued at

It's well worth a thread, regarding expected fees, minimum and maximum, that sort of thing

It'd be great to see more real numbers, because obviously €16M is utter horseshit :lol:

yeah that true, off ish for example is £200k whereas I doubt we’d be able to sign him from Brighton for any less than a few mill.  

Still.  This team are punching..  record transfer is £7mill and by attendance they aren’t bigger than us

14 minutes ago, His name is said:

My observation from the home games v istanbul and fiorentina last season were, never in the history of cup shocks has the smaller team sat back and allowed the big team all the possession.

Well that's not true. I agree with the get f cking intae them part though.

We need come out the traps and make it a scrap on our tight pitch. They will try and drag us out of position but we must keep our defensive  shape, would prefer Offiah (if eligible) to Atkinson in that respect. It is a step up but we have players ourselves that can create and hurt them, we must carry a threat.

Ricardo Quaresma
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

yeah that true, off ish for example is £200k whereas I doubt we’d be able to sign him from Brighton for any less than a few mill.  

Still.  This team are punching..  record transfer is £7mill and by attendance they aren’t bigger than us

They're not going to be too comfortable tonight, I hope, same as rosenberg or louder, probably

But they have been in noisy stadiums, however, not with the stands this close! :lol:

Their fans at home are miles away from the players, with a high net

Actually think it's a cert they'll throw stuff on the pitch tonight

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma
thrown > throw

22 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

Well that's not true. I agree with the get f cking intae them part though.

I'm not so sure the two games mentioned at home we never laid a glove on them and surrendered possession the entire night, it was pretty deflating sitting there watching it. They were a step above us no doubt about it but we looked so timid in the games, was similar to how we played against the OF at home for the most part as well with the exception of the 4-3 defeat. I think tonight we need a good game plan, can't go gung ho chasing goals as we will just leave ourselves open but we need to have a plan to get at them and put them under pressure. They are going to be decent, Rosenborg caused us problems and I suspect PAOK will be a step up in levels from them and good on the ball in all areas of the pitch. That was the most notable thing against the decent sides last season, they take it in areas that are tight but manage to not panic and keep the ball. 

Ricardo Quaresma
5 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I'm not so sure the two games mentioned at home we never laid a glove on them and surrendered possession the entire night, it was pretty deflating sitting there watching it. They were a step above us no doubt about it but we looked so timid in the games, was similar to how we played against the OF at home for the most part as well with the exception of the 4-3 defeat. I think tonight we need a good game plan, can't go gung ho chasing goals as we will just leave ourselves open but we need to have a plan to get at them and put them under pressure. They are going to be decent, Rosenborg caused us problems and I suspect PAOK will be a step up in levels from them and good on the ball in all areas of the pitch. That was the most notable thing against the decent sides last season, they take it in areas that are tight but manage to not panic and keep the ball. 

The failure in recruitment & RN's tactics completely invalidates those games, other than a lesson in how not to go about it

The defence was what? 3 players out of position? 4?

6 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

Said it before, it's never going to end until the day he leaves the club.

2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

The failure in recruitment & RN's tactics completely invalidates those games, other than a lesson in how not to go about it

The defence was what? 3 players out of position? 4?

Yeah your right we did suffer due to the injuries and moving players about. Neilson being sent off against Fiorentina also didn't help. They were good teams though, no denying that and all very comfortable on the ball. I actually thought one of our better performances was away in Turkey, we just lost some daft goals which was the hallmark of the team all last season. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah your right we did suffer due to the injuries and moving players about. Neilson being sent off against Fiorentina also didn't help. They were good teams though, no denying that and all very comfortable on the ball. I actually thought one of our better performances was away in Turkey, we just lost some daft goals which was the hallmark of the team all last season. 

Yes they were good, they didn't need any help, but I think they knew that they just had to bide their time and we'd make a mistake; they were well aware of our woes

6 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

I agree he's not my pick for midfield either but looking at it from a squad perspective the more versatile players we have can only be good for us.  I'm sure Man City fans must have been having the same debate last season about John Stones playing midfield.  

1 minute ago, TexasAndy said:

I agree he's not my pick for midfield either but looking at it from a squad perspective the more versatile players we have can only be good for us.  I'm sure Man City fans must have been having the same debate last season about John Stones playing midfield.  

I doubt they were having anywhere near the same debate. John Stones is a £50M (worth probably double that now) world class footballer who was always very good with the ball at his feet and technically superb. Sibbick struggles to even play well at CB with little qualities transferrable to CM except athleticism so that's a poor example - probably the worst you could have chosen to be honest!

Segregation at Hibs game yesterday was only a narrow G4S banner that only covered a couple of seats. Strange that we have to have a full section . Half would be more than sufficient. 

Ricardo Quaresma
8 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Segregation at Hibs game yesterday was only a narrow G4S banner that only covered a couple of seats. Strange that we have to have a full section . Half would be more than sufficient. 

Hopefully Andrew McKinlay can take this up with SFA, for domestic games

Clark

Offiah Kent Rowles Kingsley

Atkinson Devlin Cochrane 

Vargas Shankland McKay

Not convinced by any of the options for centre midfield. Halliday is probably top of my list if we play a 4 2 3 1 but he is short of game time.

So playing with Atkinson and Cochrane narrower alongside Devlin gives us defensive solidity and attacking threat.

Have put Vargas in instead of Boyce as we need pace on the counter.

Edited by gnasher75

UchesPackage
3 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Clark

Offiah Kent Rowles Kingsley

Atkinson Devlin Cochrane 

Vargas Shankland McKay

Not convinced by any of the options for centre midfield. Halliday is probably top of my list if we play a 4 2 3 1 but he is short of game time.

So playing with Atkinson and Cochrane narrower alongside Devlin gives us defensive solidity and attacking threat.

Have put Vargas in instead of Boyce as we need pace on the counter.

you had a bang to the head?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I think folk arguing that we are well covered in midfield and don’t need a better version of a midfielder than we currently have look a bit daft at the minute.

I would like to see us put a bit of variety and unpredictability into our overall play.  Use a punt up the park on ocassions.  Shankland and Boyce are more than capable of winning a share of high balls.  Any field position gained or loose,  second balls can pay dividends.  It's no good continually playing out to a pattern and always being hunted down,  should it happen.  I have a sneaky feeling that route 1 will be the thing that brings us goals.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think folk arguing that we are well covered in midfield and don’t need a better version of a midfielder than we currently have look a bit daft at the minute.

becuase we have some injuries? I’d take a top midfielder!  Still fully fit we have the strongest center mid outside of Glasgow 

46 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I doubt they were having anywhere near the same debate. John Stones is a £50M (worth probably double that now) world class footballer who was always very good with the ball at his feet and technically superb. Sibbick struggles to even play well at CB with little qualities transferrable to CM except athleticism so that's a poor example - probably the worst you could have chosen to be honest!

I was hoping I wouldn't have to make the obvious comment about context.  In a team with resources that Man City have and the quality midfield players that come and go from that club I expect the fans would be questioning why a centre back is playing midfield.  

Also notice in the clip a small section of seats in K look free so maybe more tickets to come today. Unless they have already been sold 

Just now, TexasAndy said:

I was hoping I wouldn't have to make the obvious comment about context.  In a team with resources that Man City have and the quality midfield players that come and go from that club I expect the fans would be questioning why a centre back is playing midfield.  

I know you weren't comparing them as players. But to use a CB with loads of transferrable qualities as a CM was a bad example. Pretty sure anyone with a brain could see Stones is a classy footballer who wouldn't look out of place in the middle of the park. Not like loads of people were doubting him being able to play that position as he has the required skills to play in both, unlike Sibbick who doesn't have the quality to even play in his natural position.

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Totally agree with you, it was this part I didn't agree with but hope that's not how we approach the game tonight "never in the history of cup shocks has the smaller team sat back and allowed the big team all the possession."  

5 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

People also always fail to take into account that whilst players used as examples are far better than ours, so are their opponents.

John Stones is much, much better than Toby Sibbick. Sibbick won't be playing midfield against someone as good as Kante though.

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Tough tough game coming up tonight. Vid from PAOK 

They look like they're shiting themselves.

Just now, Taffin said:

People also always fail to take into account that whilst players used as examples are far better than ours, so are their opponents.

John Stones is much, much better than Toby Sibbick. Sibbick won't be playing midfield against someone as good as Kante though.

Not failing to take that into account at all.

John Stones has the required qualities to play in midfield and was also very good in defence.

Toby Sibbick doesn't have the required qualities to play in midfield and isn't that good in defence.

1 hour ago, His name is said:

Celtic beat Barcelona with 11% possession.....

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Offiah starts tonight btw. Not ITK. Just makes sense. Wouldn't be shocked if Vargas does too.

Yeah Offiah is definitely starting too IMO. His pace and physicality will be needed.

Don't think Vargas will start though, can see him coming on as a sub

1 minute ago, Waterboy said:

Celtic beat Barcelona with 11% possession.....

I never gave any examples but that's the kind of game I was meaning, history is littered with them.

I don't want us setting out to play like that tonight though if possible.

25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I would like to see us put a bit of variety and unpredictability into our overall play.  Use a punt up the park on ocassions.  Shankland and Boyce are more than capable of winning a share of high balls.  Any field position gained or loose,  second balls can pay dividends.  It's no good continually playing out to a pattern and always being hunted down,  should it happen.  I have a sneaky feeling that route 1 will be the thing that brings us goals.

Agree.