*** Heart Of Midlothian Vs PAOK *** Official Match Thread

Masonic

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Did Oda not hit the post? 

I think he was obviously injured early doors, probably from getting clattered around 15 minutes in! He works hard for the team as well but so does Vargas from what I seen of him on Sunday. These players are good at chasing everything and also at winning the ball back. I think McKay will get the nod on the right with Cochrane maybe playing on the left with Kingsley in behind him to be a little more solid. They also work pretty well in an attacking sense and Kingsley in particular seems to have got his confidence back a bit. He's due a free kick goal as well at some point! 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daavojaay

• Bazzas right boot

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Pasquale for King

14 hours ago, Scott980612 said:

I like this 👍🏻 

One game vs Partick thistle - but I think Offiah offers another threat from set piece and will be just as good if not better defender than Atkinson so on that , I’d go with him 

Cochrane did reasonably well when he moved into that position  vs Rosenborg   ( denholm

did decent aswell, grew into game but Cochrane edges it for me ) 

Oda was annoynmous vs Rosenborg so woudn’t start for me  - McKay as much can blow hot/cold has bags of quality to unlock any defence.

Tagawa looks very quick over a 10 yard burst , could be a real threat and nuisance for PAOK to deal with 

I know it was an absolute bullet of a header and what I'm about to say might not make sense but Offiah said post match that was the first header he's ever scored in his life, of any age group :lol:

A_A wehatethehibs

A lot of folk saying we need to take a win over there, not necessarily the case.

In the 1st leg, for me it stays the same whether home or away.

We gave away a crap set piece goal 5 mins in against Rosenborg. We also gave away an early goal in the away tie as well, the tie was at risk of going out of sight 45 minutes into 180 mins of football.

Hope we have learned from that because repeat that against PAOK, they will shut up shop and will be far more effective both defensively and on the break. 

Polonia Gorgie
6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

A lot of folk saying we need to take a win over there, not necessarily the case.

We gave away a crap set piece goal 5 mins in against Rosenborg. We also gave away an early goal in the away tie as well, the tie was at risk of going out of sight 45 minutes into 180 mins of football.

Hope we have learned from that because repeat that against PAOK, they will shut up shop and will be far more effective both defensively and on the break. 

That stadium of there looks a very intimidating place to play football, I really think a lead, even a slender one is required man.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

That stadium of there looks a very intimidating place to play football, I really think a lead, even a slender one is required man.

But it can get easily wiped out. 

Rosenborg came to an intimidating ground with a 2-1 lead.

As long as the tie is alive, 90 mins is half time. 90 to play. 

Polonia Gorgie
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

But it can get easily wiped out. 

Rosenborg came to an intimidating ground with a 2-1 lead.

As long as the tie is alive, 90 mins is half time. 90 to play. 

Thats what I mean, Rosenborg brought a young team to an intimidating venue and got beat, In my opinion (also my hopes and dreams) we need to take something over there. 

15 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Same team as Thursday with Vargas in for Oda imo

Not sure if Denholm will start but would agree with starting Vargas, he looks like he has more confidence than Oda to take his man on. Love Vargas already, I think he's going to be something special.

Devlin and one other in midfield with support from Cochrane playing in front of Kingsley again. 

Hey looking for 2 x tickets due to an internal comms issue which has left me and my daughter briefless!!!  aaaagh

Anyone looking to offload, a PM much appreciated

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Thats what I mean, Rosenborg brought a young team to an intimidating venue and got beat, In my opinion (also my hopes and dreams) we need to take something over there. 

But taking something is not essential is what I’m saying. Say we’re 2-1 up. Still 90 minutes of football to play. It doesn’t guarantee us anything. Be great if it happens.

It’s like saying it’s essential to be leading a game at half time. It isn’t. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray

We could set up as hard to beat initially 

Clark

Offiah Kent  Rowles  Kingsley 

Natty  Devlin  Cochrane  Vargas

Oda  Shanks  

17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Hey looking for 2 x tickets due to an internal comms issue which has left me and my daughter briefless!!!  aaaagh

Anyone looking to offload, a PM much appreciated

You could always try the Gorgie Suite hospitality if you are struggling assuming it is not sold out yet. £30 each though.

CONTACT THE HOSPITALITY TEAM NOW ON 0131 200 7244 OR 07736917859

Edited by wavydavy

13 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

But taking something is not essential is what I’m saying. Say we’re 2-1 up. Still 90 minutes of football to play. It doesn’t guarantee us anything. Be great if it happens.

It’s like saying it’s essential to be leading a game at half time. It isn’t. 

Yeah we have had some decent away results in Europe over the years and blown it home, Stuttgart and Bordeaux spring to mind. Saying that, we must still be in the tie for going over there and the minimum we need is at least a draw on Thursday night, a defeat will make it a really tough ask for the players. They seem to be good going forward so we really need to be on our game concentration wise on Thursday to avoid any cheap goals.  This is a massive tie for the club with what is at stake financially, another year of group stage football is worth millions and could be a real difference in being able to kick on and away from the other teams in the league. No pressure Hearts, I would love to see us take them apart on Thursday, we are more than capable, lets hope we have a better referee than we have had in numerous european games recently. The refs for both ties against Rosenborg was dreadful and I don't have much confidence we will get a decent one this round either. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah we have had some decent away results in Europe over the years and blown it home, Stuttgart and Bordeaux spring to mind. Saying that, we must still be in the tie for going over there and the minimum we need is at least a draw on Thursday night, a defeat will make it a really tough ask for the players. They seem to be good going forward so we really need to be on our game concentration wise on Thursday to avoid any cheap goals.  This is a massive tie for the club with what is at stake financially, another year of group stage football is worth millions and could be a real difference in being able to kick on and away from the other teams in the league. No pressure Hearts, I would love to see us take them apart on Thursday, we are more than capable, lets hope we have a better referee than we have had in numerous european games recently. The refs for both ties against Rosenborg was dreadful and I don't have much confidence we will get a decent one this round either. 

The win rate of teams playing 2nd leg at home, stats from 12000 European games from 1956-2007 = 53%. So 47% of the time, the away team went through in the 2nd leg.  And that ignores the fact that for a large chunk of European history, the seeding system always handed the “better” team home advantage in 2nd leg. 

So, second leg at home, is a slight advantage for PAOK, but it’s statistically not as massive as sometimes made out. 

Obviously a home win would help our chances massively as we would “only” need a draw over there, just saying it’s not essential to progressing in the tie. The absolute essential thing is to avoid be a couple of goals down, and therefore basically out. If we can start by not gifting a crap early goal as we done both home and away against Rosenborg would be a good start :lol: 

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We lost quite a few early goals in Europe and against the uglies last season too, that really needs to be sorted. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, TallPaul said:

PAOK are only one domestic league game into their season. I really fancy our chances of getting something this week 

They have played 4 Conference League games though, played just as much football as ourselves

Offiah, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley

Devlin Cochrane

Vargas                McKay

Boyce

Shankland

Atkinson for Offiah possibly. Could be a crazy shout playing Offiah when all we've seen of him was against a poor Partick. Atkinson has been really good of late. It's a hard call. 

Vargas might be better coming on later, in that case, another defence minded midfielder should start in a 4.3.2.1 I would go with Sibbick tbh. Looked awkward in there at times, but his recovery pace at this level will be needed I think. Atkinson wide in front of Offiah?

I expect them to be a lot quicker and better than Rosenberg and we will have to be patient. 

Very hard picking a team tbh. Lowry, Oda, Denholm could all start, Tagawa will likely be used off the bench and Hoff not ready yet in my view. Some squad developing here 👍. Canny wait, it's difficult to judge just how positive Naisy will be with his team selection. 

By The Light..

If the Southampton rumour has any basis of fact then every chance Shankland won't be starting, would be a great shame and hope its not the case!

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We lost quite a few early goals in Europe and against the uglies last season too, that really needs to be sorted. 

Was looking through wee Naisys European experience as a player. An interesting one. Rangers played Panathanaikos in 2008, second leg was away from home, he got on. Rangers went through. No away goals these days tho so adopting Walter Smithball probably wont see us through this one!

17 hours ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Denholm

McKay Boyce Cochrane

Shankland

This should and probably will be the team. 

35 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You could always try the Gorgie Suite hospitality if you are struggling assuming it is not sold out yet. £30 each though.

CONTACT THE HOSPITALITY TEAM NOW ON 0131 200 7244 OR 07736917859

You're an effing genius, man, thanks very much.  £48 for me and the lass - no bad! Wee daddy daughter date that's turned into!

4 minutes ago, By The Light.. said:

If the Southampton rumour has any basis of fact then every chance Shankland won't be starting, would be a great shame and hope its not the case!

No way they aren't playing Shankland on the basis of a rumour, this tie is worth millions to the club. 

By The Light..
1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

No way they aren't playing Shankland on the basis of a rumour, this tie is worth millions to the club. 

I meant if the rumour is true then every chance he'll be away for a medical this week. Hope it isnt.

3 minutes ago, By The Light.. said:

This "Teamtalk" social media page who claimed Southampton are interested apparently aren't very reliable. Wouldn't surprise me if they just started this rumour purely because they've made a lot of money on selling players and need a replacement striker for Adams. Would seem plausible so there's every chance they've thrown it out there to gain attention and traction. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Was looking through wee Naisys European experience as a player. An interesting one. Rangers played Panathanaikos in 2008, second leg was away from home, he got on. Rangers went through. No away goals these days tho so adopting Walter Smithball probably wont see us through this one!

We will need to score but I think they will preach the pragmatic approach as they dod last Thursday. 
Smith was much more aligned with CL and RN tactically, especially in Europe. 
Cochrane in midfield is something those three would appreciate though. 

By The Light..
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

This "Teamtalk" social media page who claimed Southampton are interested apparently aren't very reliable. Wouldn't surprise me if they just started this rumour purely because they've made a lot of money on selling players and need a replacement striker for Adams. Would seem plausible so there's every chance they've thrown it out there to gain attention and traction. 

:thumb:

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

After Sunday I never want to see Sibbick in midfield again. 

I think that that's too far but I don't think he was totally convincing in midfield on Sunday and against better teams he might have struggled. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think that that's too far but I don't think he was totally convincing in midfield on Sunday and against better teams he might have struggled. 

I just don't think he's a midfielder, we definitely have players that look far more comfortable and natural in there. Saying that though, he may be more effective in there against a more attacking side at breaking the play up. One advantage he has is he is quicker over the ground than a lot of our other midfielders. 

28 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Would*

GorgieFifeLife
44 minutes ago, By The Light.. said:

If he is going I can see it happening quickly now and he might even end up gone before the game on Thursday.  If he is going it’s better to get it done now so we can do more business.

10 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

If he is going I can see it happening quickly now and he might even end up gone before the game on Thursday.  If he is going it’s better to get it done now so we can do more business.

Might not be on the move if Adams listens to this guy.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/journalist-reveals-transfer-stance-southampton-star-che-adams-should-take-amid-everton-links/

48 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Is Oda out injured?

Not sure but he wasn't in the squad on Sunday.

I think Vargas looks more of a threat than Oda anyway so not that bothered if he is.

57 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You're an effing genius, man, thanks very much.  £48 for me and the lass - no bad! Wee daddy daughter date that's turned into!

😁 hope you enjoy.

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

So weaken ourselves for our two most important games of the season? We can sort a deal whilst playing these games if we know hes leaving and possibly get through also with him in the team. 

1 hour ago, By The Light.. said:

The big red transfer phone will be sent straight to voicemail until at least Friday morning.

GorgieFifeLife
53 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So weaken ourselves for our two most important games of the season? We can sort a deal whilst playing these games if we know hes leaving and possibly get through also with him in the team. 

Not by choice but if he decides to go I don’t think it’s right that he plays if he decides he wants away.  I get that it weakens us but we will get goals from other areas until we get someone signed.  We will see, all speculation at the moment.

Hello lads from a PAOK's fan! 

What are your predictions about the match, guys?

Do you consider PAOK as a good European football team or as a relatively weak one?

To be honest, to most of the PAOK fans, Hearts seems as a decent Scottish team. A team that we have to respect but not a team to be afraid of. To me, Hearts are a tough, physical team that can cause us problems if we underestimate them.

Generally speaking, PAOK is considered as the 4th biggest team in Greece, traditionally. However, throughout the last decade, things changed dramatically and PAOK became the 2nd best team in Greece, behind Olympiacos, as Ivan Savvidis, a billioner, took charge of the team. The last year, was a really bad year about PAOK, as we finished 4th, but this year things are going really better.

Our manager, Razvan Lucescu (the ''General''!), prefers the possession football and his first goal is to keep a clean sheet. Our squad is a combination of experienced players, as Ekong, Narey, Taison, Zivkovic, and some really talented young players, as Konstantelias, Koulierakis and Kotarksi. Just to give you an idea of how talented those guys are, lately, PAOK denied a Sulzburgs's 12 million offer to Konstantelias, a 10 millions offer by Milan to Koulierakis and according to the news Kotarski was in the transfer list of Bayern Munich the last July.

By the way, I wish you good luck and maybe the best team win!

P.s. For those who are wiling to attend in PAOK's stadium (''Toumpa'') in order to watch the match, please feel free to ask me any question!

best in the land

In Rhodes, theologos right now.

Hoping to find somewhere to watch the paok game on Thursday.

Any advice on places to watch or if on TV here appreciated 😉🇱🇻

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We need at least a 2 goal lead never mind just a lead. The heat and atmosphere will be a huge test in Greece.

2-0 Hearts on Thursday.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Regrettably "totally convincing" is a description that has seldom, if ever, sprung to mind in relation to Toby. Perhaps it may come but we've been waiting a while now.

Hackney Hearts
9 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

Do you consider PAOK as a good European football team or as a relatively weak one?  

Well you're not as good as Aston Villa (who the tiny Edinburgh team play tomorrow), so that's a relief!

But you're clearly better than Rosenborg, and I'd say better than Zurich who we played last year. On the other hand, you're not as strong as Fiorentina or Istanbul, who both thumped us in the group stages last year. We only beat Riga (home and away) and PAOK are obviously way better than them.

In Scottish terms, we see ourselves as the 3rd strongest side - but sadly usually a long way behind the top 2. I'd imagine PAOK are somewhere between ourselves and those top 2 - so it will be tough for us, but not impossible.

Auld Reekin'
10 minutes ago, best in the land said:

Apologies if blatantly obvious, but you could also try asking around the local bars there. :icon14:

Hungry hippo

The only questions are about our right hand side as expect the other 9 to be the same as last Thursday. I'm confident Cochrane will start at left midfield again.

Atkinson or Offiah is a tough shout but I'd bet on it being Atkinson as has been on good form.

Right midfield I think will be McKay although possibility of Oda or Vargas.

Worthing Jambo
13 minutes ago, best in the land said:

VPN and IPlayer on your phone as a last resort?

You don’t want to miss what will be a colossus game for us!

Auld Reekin'
24 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

Hello lads from a PAOK's fan! 

What are your predictions about the match, guys?

To be honest, to most of the PAOK fans, Hearts seems as a decent Scottish team. A team that we have to respect but not a team to be afraid of. To me, Hearts are a tough, physical team that can cause us problems if we underestimate them.

Generally speaking, PAOK is considered as the 4th biggest team in Greece, traditionally. However, throughout the last decade, things changed dramatically and PAOK became the 2nd best team in Greece, behind Olympiacos, as Ivan Savvidis, a billioner, took charge of the team. The last year, was a really bad year about PAOK, as we finished 4th, but this year things are going really better.

Our manager, Razvan Lucescu (the ''General''!), prefers the possession football and his first goal is to keep a clean sheet. Our squad is a combination of experienced players, as Ekong, Narey, Taison, Zivkovic, and some really talented young players, as Konstantelias, Koulierakis and Kotarksi. Just to give you an idea of how talented those guys are, lately, PAOK denied a Sulzburgs's 12 million offer to Konstantelias, a 10 millions offer by Milan to Koulierakis and according to the news Kotarski was in the transfer list of Bayern Munich the last July.

By the way, I wish you good luck and maybe the best team win!

P.s. For those who are wiling to attend in PAOK's stadium (''Toumpa'') in order to watch the match, please feel free to ask me any question!

Welcome and thanks for your good wishes! :icon14: