*** Heart Of Midlothian Vs PAOK *** Official Match Thread

Masonic

5 minutes ago, best in the land said:

In Rhodes, theologos right now.

Hoping to find somewhere to watch the paok game on Thursday.

Any advice on places to watch or if on TV here appreciated 😉🇱🇻

I have not been in Rhodes, but there is a general rule in Greek touristic places in order to watch a football match: avoid the touristic coffee shops and find a coffee shop that attracts local people. That increases the chances to watch a football match.

After a quick search I did in the internet, I found a place that probably is gonna show the match at Theologos, which is called Billy's Cafe.

Also, here in Greece, it is acceptable to ask the workers or the owner of a coffee shop to make you a favor and show the match

My english sucks, I hope I make myself clear!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daavojaay

• Bazzas right boot

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Clark Griswold

31 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

Hello lads from a PAOK's fan! 

What are your predictions about the match, guys?

Do you consider PAOK as a good European football team or as a relatively weak one?

To be honest, to most of the PAOK fans, Hearts seems as a decent Scottish team. A team that we have to respect but not a team to be afraid of. To me, Hearts are a tough, physical team that can cause us problems if we underestimate them.

Generally speaking, PAOK is considered as the 4th biggest team in Greece, traditionally. However, throughout the last decade, things changed dramatically and PAOK became the 2nd best team in Greece, behind Olympiacos, as Ivan Savvidis, a billioner, took charge of the team. The last year, was a really bad year about PAOK, as we finished 4th, but this year things are going really better.

Our manager, Razvan Lucescu (the ''General''!), prefers the possession football and his first goal is to keep a clean sheet. Our squad is a combination of experienced players, as Ekong, Narey, Taison, Zivkovic, and some really talented young players, as Konstantelias, Koulierakis and Kotarksi. Just to give you an idea of how talented those guys are, lately, PAOK denied a Sulzburgs's 12 million offer to Konstantelias, a 10 millions offer by Milan to Koulierakis and according to the news Kotarski was in the transfer list of Bayern Munich the last July.

By the way, I wish you good luck and maybe the best team win!

P.s. For those who are wiling to attend in PAOK's stadium (''Toumpa'') in order to watch the match, please feel free to ask me any question!

Welcome!

To be honest I think the vast majority of us think you're strong favourites but there's a (small) chance we can progress if we take our chances.

Scottish football is 100 mph so will be two very different styles of football. Difficult to say how that will affect both of us. 

Think there will be a few goals in this, should be two good games. 

If you're coming to Edinburgh, hope you enjoy it and welcome the traveling fans to Greece when our lot travel over. 

1 minute ago, A_Greek said:

I have not been in Rhodes, but there is a general rule in Greek touristic places in order to watch a football match: avoid the touristic coffee shops and find a coffee shop that attracts local people. That increases the chances to watch a football match.

After a quick search I did in the internet, I found a place that probably is gonna show the match at Theologos, which is called Billy's Cafe.

Also, here in Greece, it is acceptable to ask the workers or the owner of a coffee shop to make you a favor and show the match

Oh, I almost forgot it, you can also try to download Kodi in order to watch the match in your mobile/laptop.

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

Your English is very good: clear, completely understandable, and better than many regular posters on here! :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

Oh, I almost forgot it, you can also try to download Kodi in order to watch the match in your mobile/laptop.

How many PAOK fans are expected in Edinburgh on Thursday ?

21 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Well you're not as good as Aston Villa (who the tiny Edinburgh team play tomorrow), so that's a relief!

But you're clearly better than Rosenborg, and I'd say better than Zurich who we played last year. On the other hand, you're not as strong as Fiorentina or Istanbul, who both thumped us in the group stages last year. We only beat Riga (home and away) and PAOK are obviously way better than them.

In Scottish terms, we see ourselves as the 3rd strongest side - but sadly usually a long way behind the top 2. I'd imagine PAOK are somewhere between ourselves and those top 2 - so it will be tough for us, but not impossible.

I think you are right. Hypothetically, If PAOK participated in... Scottish League they would be the third power in country, in my opinion. But as you said, nothing is impossible.

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

How many PAOK fans are expected in Edinburgh on Thursday ?

Its early to say, but I estimate around 1.000 fans, as we took 1.312 tickets. The most of them are going to be citizens of UK though.

15 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Welcome!

To be honest I think the vast majority of us think you're strong favourites but there's a (small) chance we can progress if we take our chances.

Scottish football is 100 mph so will be two very different styles of football. Difficult to say how that will affect both of us. 

Think there will be a few goals in this, should be two good games. 

If you're coming to Edinburgh, hope you enjoy it and welcome the traveling fans to Greece when our lot travel over. 

100 mph? Wow thats gonna be interesting because pace is not our best advantage. I think that too, probably both of the teams will score. 

Unfortunately, I m not going to come to Edinburgh, but be sure that people here are going to welcome the Hearts fans even though you have maybe heard that our fans are a little bit ''crazy''! Thats not a case when we have to face peaceful teams and fans like the Scottish ones. Generally speaking, PAOK fans are very peaceful too. There are only a small bunch of fanatics that cause all that violence situation.

ScandinavianJambo
4 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

100 mph? Wow thats gonna be interesting because pace is not our best advantage. I think that too, probably both of the teams will score. 

Unfortunately, I m not going to come to Edinburgh, but be sure that people here are going to welcome the Hearts fans even though you have maybe heard that our fans are a little bit ''crazy''! Thats not a case when we have to face peaceful teams and fans like the Scottish ones. Generally speaking, PAOK fans are very peaceful too. There are only a small bunch of fanatics that cause all that violence situation.

Great to hear from a sensible fellow fan 👍 and your English I excellent!

Hungry hippo
5 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

The game is played often that fast rather our players being particularly quick.

45 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

The only questions are about our right hand side as expect the other 9 to be the same as last Thursday. I'm confident Cochrane will start at left midfield again.

Atkinson or Offiah is a tough shout but I'd bet on it being Atkinson as has been on good form.

Right midfield I think will be McKay although possibility of Oda or Vargas.

I think it'd be mental to start Denholm.

best in the land
38 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

Thanks, big help. Think I saw a sign for Billy's cafe. Will check it out 👍

Hungry hippo
13 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I think it'd be mental to start Denholm.

Midfield options will be the same as last week so will be surprised if we change it.

21 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

Yeah you get no time on the ball in Scottish football compared to the continent but we're less technical, think this is why traditionally Scottish teams have struggled in Europe. If teams can pass it around well they can pick us apart. We seem to be a bit better at that right now so hopefully can manage it and put you under a bit of pressure, particularly at home.

Good to hear we'll be safe and welcome, our away travelling support in Europe are only there for beers and a party, not for fights.

36 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Midfield options will be the same as last week so will be surprised if we change it.

For me, Denholm was as much an issue in midfield as Beni was the week before. The difference is we got away with it when he gave up possession twice in dangerous areas and when made a poor tackle which gave the ref a decision to make. Not his fault and not writing him off at all, just don't think these are the right games for him to be making his first two starts.

The options aren't particularly inspiring, that's true. I get the feeling Sibbick in midfield was a bit of a trial and it's also possible Nieuwenhof is a bit more up to speed.

1 hour ago, A_Greek said:

It’s not so much pace, although we do have a couple of forward players who are very quick.

It more about the time you are allowed with the ball before you get challenged. We’re probably not going to stand off and let you play nice controlled football. We’re going to press you in possession and we’re going to tackle you. When we get the ball our best weapon is finding a quick runner wide or in behind. Sometimes we don’t press (we sit in a low block instead) and sometimes we keep the ball too long in non threatening positions, but we’re a better team when we play with high tempo and take risks with quick forward passing.  

5 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

I just hope A_Greek isn't the PAOK manager and we're doing all his homework for him....

hahahaha thank you guys!

Regards

Mr. Lucescu.

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, A_Greek said:

hahahaha thank you guys!

Regards

Mr. Lucescu.

Doh! Why I oughta....

:lol:

On 20/08/2023 at 22:26, Rocky jamboa said:

Highlights of PAOK's 3 nil win today v Tripolis today. For context, Tripoli finished 10th out of 14 teams in the Greek league last season. It was 1 nil until the 78th minute so maybe not as flattering a score as it seems. 

They look a decent team but we've defo got a chance. AEK were immense when we played them in the champs league qualifier but that's like comparing us and celtic. This lot will be a different kettle of fish. I'd be happy with any type of win to take over there. 

this not the game with asteras but the european game against hajduk split

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

For me, Denholm was as much an issue in midfield as Beni was the week before. The difference is we got away with it when he gave up possession twice in dangerous areas and when made a poor tackle which gave the ref a decision to make. Not his fault and not writing him off at all, just don't think these are the right games for him to be making his first two starts.

The options aren't particularly inspiring, that's true. I get the feeling Sibbick in midfield was a bit of a trial and it's also possible Nieuwenhof is a bit more up to speed.

Fair enough but I disagree. Denholm gave away the ball twice in the whole game (admittedly once was in a really bad area). If we had any alternatives to bring who never lose possession then they would come in but we don't have anyone close to that. 

I would have probably picked Nieuwenhof last week but after Denholm stood up to the test well IMO I'll be surprised if he's left out.

The tackle Denholm made was never a red.  Was low, bent leg and going directly towards the ball but their player deliberately stepped over the ball to take the foul.

Go for it 1308
8 minutes ago, daavojaay said:

budge should give shankland her flap to keep him happy and sign a new contract. By any means necesary

Screenshot_20230822_173801_Google.jpg.f718817b6122bc409c7bccf702455197.jpg

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, A_Greek said:

Good to hear. No doubt Karapidis will give us a wave :)

3 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Oh oh... the magic words that will summon many seething keyboard managers. More than someone writing something in Latin.

FerryJambo81
4 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Your English is very good: clear, completely understandable, and better than many regular posters on here! :thumbsup:

😂👏👏😂😂

3 hours ago, DC_92 said:

I would still play Denholm. He's not hid in any of the games so far. 

Beni isn't ready, Haring isn't fit, Sibbick didn't show enough against Partick and IMO Nieuwenhof has hid a bit in the games he's been involved with and seems to lack the energy that Denholm has. Then there is Halliday. 

He's not an ideal choice, I'll concede. But the options we have aren't really good enough either. 

As long as he plays with his head and doesn't charge into any tackles which could cost us a man then I would just go for it and back Denholm. 

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

1st PAOK fan spotted walking up Broughton Street at 19:00 ... looking the worse for wear. 🍺🍺🍺

First for you

7 hours ago, A_Greek said:

Certainly on holiday in Crete I managed to get a bar owner to put Edinburgh derby on one telly and West Ham game on another at same tome

(Won both) 😀

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Starting to feel a bit confident about this

:jjyay:

Is it just me or is Jim getting more jaundice?

3 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Fair enough but I disagree. Denholm gave away the ball twice in the whole game (admittedly once was in a really bad area). If we had any alternatives to bring who never lose possession then they would come in but we don't have anyone close to that. 

I would have probably picked Nieuwenhof last week but after Denholm stood up to the test well IMO I'll be surprised if he's left out.

The tackle Denholm made was never a red.  Was low, bent leg and going directly towards the ball but their player deliberately stepped over the ball to take the foul.

Not going to slate him, but both times led to dangerous attacks. The tackle wasn't a red but wasn't great, and another ref might have made a different decision. This will sound harsh, but for me, he didn't offer anything out of the ordinary to make up for these flaws and I'm not sure what his attributes are yet (not to say he doesn't have any, I just haven't seen enough of him). 

This is also a different type of game to Rosenborg, whom we probably expected to sit deep, surrender possession, and protect their lead as they did in the first leg. I think we put Denholm in because he's looked lively and positive in possession in his brief cameos and Naismith knew we couldn't afford the slow, sideways passing from the first few games of the season.

I expect PAOK to play quite differently and for them to try to dominate the ball. Our game plan will likely be more about disrupting their play and turning over possession rather than us trying to unpick a deep defence. That, and the fact he played there at the weekend, makes me think Sibbick will start in midfield. We know he's a ball-winner who can get about the pitch, he's played there before a handful of times and impressed in a game where we beat a stronger team at Tynecastle.

Nieuwenhof may also be more up to speed. It would definitely be fair to say he hasn't done more than Denholm so far, but he has played a full season and excelled at a reasonable level and, by all accounts, can win the ball, turn in tight areas and make accurate passes. I've not seen either player nearly as much as Naismith has, but this is surely a game our new £200k signing should be starting with Beni and Haring out.

6 hours ago, daavojaay said:

budge should give shankland her flap to keep him happy and sign a new contract. By any means necesary

🤣

10 hours ago, A_Greek said:

Hello lads from a PAOK's fan! 

What are your predictions about the match, guys?

Do you consider PAOK as a good European football team or as a relatively weak one?

To be honest, to most of the PAOK fans, Hearts seems as a decent Scottish team. A team that we have to respect but not a team to be afraid of. To me, Hearts are a tough, physical team that can cause us problems if we underestimate them.

Generally speaking, PAOK is considered as the 4th biggest team in Greece, traditionally. However, throughout the last decade, things changed dramatically and PAOK became the 2nd best team in Greece, behind Olympiacos, as Ivan Savvidis, a billioner, took charge of the team. The last year, was a really bad year about PAOK, as we finished 4th, but this year things are going really better.

Our manager, Razvan Lucescu (the ''General''!), prefers the possession football and his first goal is to keep a clean sheet. Our squad is a combination of experienced players, as Ekong, Narey, Taison, Zivkovic, and some really talented young players, as Konstantelias, Koulierakis and Kotarksi. Just to give you an idea of how talented those guys are, lately, PAOK denied a Sulzburgs's 12 million offer to Konstantelias, a 10 millions offer by Milan to Koulierakis and according to the news Kotarski was in the transfer list of Bayern Munich the last July.

By the way, I wish you good luck and maybe the best team win!

P.s. For those who are wiling to attend in PAOK's stadium (''Toumpa'') in order to watch the match, please feel free to ask me any question!

Beware of a toe poke from the edge of the box.

5 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

gordon in halkett not, i wouldn't put to much into those squads

Gordon is needed for the "club-grown" quota.

as far as i'm aware euro squads are limited to 25 and haring will most definately been declared. theres about 40 listed more than enough to cover the scot quota required in match day squad without listing injured players, halkett is also scottish