*** Heart Of Midlothian Vs PAOK *** Official Match Thread

Masonic

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Cheers. They look a pretty professional and athletic outfit. However, I think we've definitely got a chance. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daavojaay

• Bazzas right boot

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Pasquale for King

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I think to win without extra time and penalties then the chances are we'll need at least a 2 goal win on Thursday,  more likely 3.  The 2nd leg is likely to be a similar task to that of our matches in Florence and Istanbul.  That kind of standard.  But today's team is potentially better than the depleted team then.

I'll take an odd goal win to have a chance.  Anything's possible.

I don't think PAOK are anywhere near as good as Fiorentina or Istanbul. Look slightly better than Rosenburg but we've definitely got a chance of going through. Need to be on top of our game, no stupid mistakes, and take our chances.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I've now watched highlights from that game and the Split game and 100% we'll get chances against them.

Their defenders seem to enjoy passing it to the opposition strikers in and around the box quite a lot. 

Few very slick bits of passing from them but the pace of play looks very slow so if we get in their face at 100mph then we might have a chance of really disrupting them.

They are certainly favourites but im confident we can cause some problems. We just need to be ultra clinical.

13 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

I don't think PAOK are anywhere near as good as Fiorentina or Istanbul. Look slightly better than Rosenburg but we've definitely got a chance of going through. Need to be on top of our game, no stupid mistakes, and take our chances.

This + being strong in midfield. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, DxB Hearts said:

I've now watched highlights from that game and the Split game and 100% we'll get chances against them.

Their defenders seem to enjoy passing it to the opposition strikers in and around the box quite a lot. 

Few very slick bits of passing from them but the pace of play looks very slow so if we get in their face at 100mph then we might have a chance of really disrupting them.

They are certainly favourites but im confident we can cause some problems. We just need to be ultra clinical.

+1

Exactly what I thought, maybe not quite as good as I thought they would be, but definitely a level up on Rosenborg. Suspect though they wont be as aggressive in midfield.

I feel like they're being underestimated by some. They finished 6 points behind Olympiakos last season. Hoping for the best, but this is going to be extremely tough, and far tougher than Rosenborg imo. We definitely can't afford the sloppiness we saw at times in those games.

As for their season having just started, they've played the same number of games as us because they started a round earlier in Europe. I don't think that will be a factor.

I don't think Basaksehir is a bad comparison tbh, however I actually thought Basaksehir's performances against us were a bit overrated. In the home game we had two brilliant chances to score before they went ahead through a very preventable goal. We were second best, but still in the game for 70-odd minutes when the second goal seemed to trigger a complete collapse. In the away game we also acquitted ourselves well in general play with a reserve team but again lost extremely cheap goals. RFS got a draw with them at home with 10 men because they had a settled and organised defence and I think we could have done just as well or better if we'd had the same.

I would actually be tempted to play Offiah in this. Not talking Atkinson down, but Offiah's all-round play really impressed me yesterday and he adds athleticism and extra aerial ability in both boxes, which could be crucial.

zivkovic is a good player and weill be a handful. we need to play the scottish way at 100mph and they may not be able to handle the tempo at tynecastle. i hope anyway. greece in the heat will be another thing altogether. have to take at least 2 goal lead there

their squad cost is 47million, rosenborg were 19 million and we are at around 15million. hopefully doesnt count for much the old firm are 117mill and we occasionally compete with them, itll be hard but not impossible. our team are in a great place just now good start to season confidence high and we have some really good players and plenty of pace. we are an attacking team with a good defence as well. we should be confident going in to this game

7 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I feel like they're being underestimated by some. They finished 6 points behind Olympiakos last season. Hoping for the best, but this is going to be extremely tough, and far tougher than Rosenborg imo. We definitely can't afford the sloppiness we saw at times in those games.

As for their season having just started, they've played the same number of games as us because they started a round earlier in Europe. I don't think that will be a factor.

I don't think Basaksehir is a bad comparison tbh, however I actually thought Basaksehir's performances against us were a bit overrated. In the home game we had two brilliant chances to score before they went ahead through a very preventable goal. We were second best, but still in the game for 70-odd minutes when the second goal seemed to trigger a complete collapse. In the away game we also acquitted ourselves well in general play with a reserve team but again lost extremely cheap goals. RFS got a draw with them at home with 10 men because they had a settled and organised defence and I think we could have done just as well or better if we'd had the same.

I would actually be tempted to play Offiah in this. Not talking Atkinson down, but Offiah's all-round play really impressed me yesterday and he adds athleticism and extra aerial ability in both boxes, which could be crucial.

is offiah registered?

2 minutes ago, daavojaay said:

is offiah registered?

Don't see why he wouldn't be.

Rangers just announced their squad for their game v PSV tomorrow. Some controversy because Hagi was taken out.

Edited by DC_92

3 hours ago, SeaOfMaroon said:

I wouldn't have minded watching Villa gub them but doesn't seem to be any hint of it being televised, I thought TNT might have picked it up as its an English team.

Game kicks off too early for BBC Scotland. Very poor if a game like that isn't televised.

game starts at 1945

hibs v aston villa is on wednesday for anyone thining our game wont be on tele. will be a stream somewhere or on tv as starts at 1945 thu

31 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

+1

Exactly what I thought, maybe not quite as good as I thought they would be, but definitely a level up on Rosenborg. Suspect though they wont be as aggressive in midfield.

Totally different type of game than we've had so far this season - a team who aren't going to sit in and want to retain the ball.

They may very well pass up to death but the highlights from their last two games have as many chances from whoever they are playing as they do.

We just need to be way more clinical than we were against Zurich. I feel we have more goals in us now though. Even from corners! 

fiorentina have market value of squad a 273million istanbul birk have 47million the exact same a paok. i think they will be similar quality. theyre much better than rosenborg i think but we shall see on thursday. we will need 10/10 from whole team over two legs every player to get through

1 minute ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Can we please have a good strong ref? That would be a good start.

Absolutely, will there be VAR ?

Ferryjambo99
5 minutes ago, One five said:

Absolutely, will there be VAR ?

There is VAR. Referee is Andris Treimanis of Latvia. A fairly experienced Referee in Europe. 

7 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

There is VAR. Referee is Andris Treimanis of Latvia. A fairly experienced Referee in Europe. 

Has the wee 🇱🇻 next to his name. 

From gorgie no Latvia 😂 

Hopefully better than the ref last week , he was absolutely dire 

13 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

VAR is supposedly back for this round.

👍🏻

8 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Cheers 👍

Ferryjambo99
11 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Incidentally he has refereed PAOK a few times in the Greek League. The Greeks like to bring in foreign refs for big games

Takeshi kovac

Not going to be easy but Tynie was rocking last week, best atmosphere I've heard in years hope we can recreate that and give the team a boost. If we are clinical with our chances and get a wee bit luck we can take a lead into the second leg, then who knows 🤷‍♂️

If the Uglies were playing PAOK they would be confident of going through, no reason we should be intimidated.  

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

I notice a lot of people saying this will be a tough game and you've said people are underestimating them. What's that based on??

I'll hold my hands up and say I don't know anything about Greek football, other than that AEK Athens were immense against us at murrayfield in the champs league qualifying game. However, AEK seem quite a level above PAOK, as Celtic are to us.  Ive watched the highlights of PAOK's last two games and can't say i thought they were anything special. 

Do you know much of PAOK or is it just assuming that a Greek team will be better than us?

Hello to everyone from Athens Greece! 

I thought you may find helpful  an insight from a Greek guy 

1. PAOK historically is considered the 4th biggest team in Greece (after Oly, Pana and AEK)

2. I consider their ultras the worst in Greece 

3. They are a very inconsistent team in Europe.  On their "ups" they are on par with  teams like Celtic or Rangers

but they can also be eliminated by the likes of Lefski Sofia.

Their record against English teams is W:2 D:2 D:2 (qualification against Arsenal , group stages with Tottenham and 

Chelsea) and 1 draw and 1 defeat by....Rangers (the same year the eliminated Arsenal!)

4.  Although the atmosphere on their home matches is very intimidating they somehow manage to get better results away than home.

I feel that the 1st leg is the most crucial. If you win by 2 i can see you eliminating them. 

I reckon your chances over the 2 legs are about 30% to 40%. 

My prediction would be : Hearts vs Paok 1-2

Paok vs Hearts  1-1

Good luck and take care!  

28 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

I notice a lot of people saying this will be a tough game and you've said people are underestimating them. What's that based on??

I'll hold my hands up and say I don't know anything about Greek football, other than that AEK Athens were immense against us at murrayfield in the champs league qualifying game. However, AEK seem quite a level above PAOK, as Celtic are to us.  Ive watched the highlights of PAOK's last two games and can't say i thought they were anything special. 

Do you know much of PAOK or is it just assuming that a Greek team will be better than us?

I doubt anyone on here watches them regularly, but I don't think the difference between AEK and PAOK is the same as us and Celtic. AEK have won 2 titles this century and PAOK 1. AEK have won 5 Greek cups in that time and PAOK 6. Not that a game from 17 years ago is too relevant anyway, but I'd say they are similarly sized clubs, with AEK a bit bigger.

Anyway, I'm making an inference based on 1) their spending power, 2) their European performances over the last few years relative to ours, and 3) their squad profile (individual Transfermarkt values mean little by themselves, but squad values generally paint a pretty accurate picture in my experience).  The order of home and away games and the likely temperature over there make things a bit more difficult as well.

My opinion is we'll need to be much better than we were against Rosenborg and produce two of our best performances in years to get through. Doable, but difficult.

I think we showed AEK far too much respect at Murrayfield, and suffered from a stupid red card.

Over in Athens, Brellier got sent off for wearing an earring!  McCann got sent off for a two-footed lunge.  We started with Jamie Mole up front.  We didn't exactly make it difficult for them.

Let's do this!

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, DxB Hearts said:

Tynecastle and the GU will be probably more important than they've ever been. You watch a lot of these Greek matches and their fans are noisy but the stadiums are rarely much more than half full.

Looks like the evening will be cool by Greek standards and the pitch will be wet. A bit of adverse conditions and an rockin' Tynie will be our best assets.

Jackhmfc1348

What team do we want on Thursday. I’m thinking

gk-Clark 

LB-cochrane 

CB-Kent 

CB-rowles 

RB Atkinson (wouldn’t mind offiah starting)

CM-denholm 

CM-devlin 

CAM-boyce 

LW-Lowry 

RW-Oda 

ST- shankland 

We_are_the_Hearts
13 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Denholm

McKay Boyce Cochrane

Shankland

This will be the team

26 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Denholm

McKay Boyce Cochrane

Shankland

This is the side for me. 

Just now, hughesie27 said:

I don't see how you can leave Offiah out if he is available. 

Looks a more solid defender than Atkinson. 

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Looks a more solid defender than Atkinson. 

Definitely. And clearly a threat in the air which might be our best chance at set pieces.