Shankland

Thomaso

15 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Eh...are you serious.

Turnover exceeds 20 million..

Last reported turnover was under £15m so DxB is actually correct. Year just finished could well be higher but none of us know that yet. 
Donations took total income over the £20m level in year to June 22 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The assumption is that we are underselling. Perhaps we can read the market value? I've yet to see any comparable transfer example to support the argument that we can get £7m+ ?

To be fair we just need to look at the transfer market in England to see clubs spending huge sums of money on players who are nowhere near as good as Shankland.

We in Scotland need to set about changing this agenda and refuse to continuously having our bellies tickled by English clubs.

Edited by jbee647

2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

To be fair we just need to look at the transfer market in England to see clubs spending huge sums of money on players who are nowhere near as good as Shankland.

We in Scotland need to set about changing this agenda and refuse to continuously having our bellies tickled by English clubs.

I used Simms as an example earlier. He has EPL and English Championship goals under his belt, is 22 and was sold by an EPL club. He went for £7m. Half that for 28 year old Shankland appears to me to accurately reflect the market.

13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We have had a lot of players come through the doors during that 18 years ...

And quite a few good ones go out the door for feck all or next to feck all

20 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If Hearts get 8 times our investment and Shankland gets 2,3 or 4 times his weekly wage it's a win for everyone. This is really his last chance for a big money deal; something he hadn't had yet. I can see why Hearts would not stand in his way. Personally I would keep him for the two years but I don't think that is how the club is being sold to prospective new signings.

yes I agree. Some players will be told we won’t stand in their way , as it’s maybe the only way we can sign them. Good post

11 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

exactly. If Shankland played for either arse cheek he would probably be on 40 goals last season and they would get a fortune. What he has achieved with us is remarkable 

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

And quite a few good ones go out the door for feck all or next to feck all

Surely that an argument for selling. We could refuse to sell at £4m he does his ACL in October and then he's worth nothing to us.

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

exactly. If Shankland played for either arse cheek he would probably be on 40 goals last season and they would get a fortune. What he has achieved with us is remarkable 

Rangers only got £2.5m for Colak who scored 14 goals in 25 games and has 3 caps for Croatia. Admittedly he is a bit older. 

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I used Simms as an example earlier. He has EPL and English Championship goals under his belt, is 22 and was sold by an EPL club. He went for £7m. Half that for 28 year old Shankland appears to me to accurately reflect the market.

I think £3-4m is probably about his true market value but I'd also hope we reply to any enquiry with a much higher starting point for negotiations than that. The potential value of his goals to us over his remaining two seasons outstrip that market value in terms of the prize and TV money they could earn us via league placings, cup runs and Europe. English (and Saudi) clubs can and regularly do stump up vastly more than the true value of a player to seal a deal, we should be taking advantage of that.

38 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Eh...are you serious.

Turnover exceeds 20 million..

Did it break £20m last year? I thought it was around £16-18?

So 20%, the point still stands. 

5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I am complete opposite end from you

I couldn’t give a toss if we lose him for nowt in 2 years

Keep him here and build a famous team round his captaincy 

Then he can walk for free summer 2025 all the best. 

Striker of that quality up front for Hearts? Not been seen for 30 years and may not be seen again for another 30 years. He is not replaceable 

Every player is replaceable.

Fozzyonthefence
22 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

He’s a championship player playing for Southampton 

if we are going down that track, Shankland has played in the top league in Belgium,  regardless why are Hearts fans ? so keen to undersell our main asset when we don’t need to.

Yes but he has plenty Premier League experience down there and Everton know exactly what they will be getting.  

The Belgian league is pish, what a pointless comparison!  And he barely scored a goal there anyway.  

I already stated I don’t want to sell him but I suspect the club want to cash in at his peak value, whatever, that may be.  But let’s be realistic, some of the price tags being floated about here are batshit crazy!  We only got around £1.5 m for Hickey who is the biggest talent we have had for decades and he had age on his side, Shankland doesn’t.  If he was early 20’s instead of 28 then we would be looking at a lot more. 

6 hours ago, GBJambo said:

He’s probably the difference between getting third and not third next season . 

Crazy to sell him for 3 million then 

Spot on. 

If Southampton think they can steal a player just because he plays in Scotland they better be told to bolt 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, chrystaf said:

Yes he is replaceable it’ll just take 30 years again 

3 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Assume you mean in the sense of that we will have another body to go in the shirt? :D Because 30 years of not doing it, suggests he is indeed pretty irreplaceable! 

Borders Jambo

Some of the valuations on here are ridiculously low and make you wonder the motives.

I don’t want him to go and anything below 5 million means we would be better letting him see out his contract.

Personally I’m hoping something is going on in the background to make him the highest paid player at Hearts and content to stay here.

Anyone remember the arrangements for Robbo when he came back and the tie in with a grocer/fruit wholesaler?

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes he is replaceable it’ll just take 30 years again 

Agree. It will come down to the player. If he wants to go to better his career and wages then he will be off.  It doesn’t sound like he wants to go but almost anyone would take a career move for a huge wage rise especially at his age for a footballer. Hoping he stays obviously and we can put a new contract to him. What a boost that would be.

Selkirkhmfc1874

After all these years it took us to find a 20+ a season goalscorer I'd hope the board are looking into getting shanks on improved contract 

If he goes Tagawa would be our only out and out striker and as brilliant as Boyce and McKay can be, we're not getting 30 goals out of them.

Shankland can stay for a couple more years scoring close to 60 goals and he can go where he likes as far as I'm concerned. He's worth more to us than the 1-2 million we'd probably get for him from an English Championship club.

1 minute ago, Borders Jambo said:

Some of the valuations on here are ridiculously low and make you wonder the motives.

I don’t want him to go and anything below 5 million means we would be better letting him see out his contract.

Personally I’m hoping something is going on in the background to make him the highest paid player at Hearts and content to stay here.

Anyone remember the arrangements for Robbo when he came back and the tie in with a grocer/fruit wholesaler?

Im sure that guy paid half his wages from memory

Puzzled at the number of people saying that we won’t get market value for Shankland because of what other players went for.

I really couldn’t care less what Nesbit was sold for, or anyone else for that matter. We aren’t obliged to sell Shankland. He is one year into a three year contract, is club captain, and we aren’t strapped for cash in the way we used to be. We can name our price. Whatever it is, meet it and we’ll talk. Don’t bother with a lowball offer because he is worth more than that to us in our team.

I’m going to do something I thought I’d never do and actually back up @Mr Elwood P here.

Jordan Rhodes had been playing well and scoring in the English Championship when he got his move all those years ago. Ellis Simms had played and done well in Championship. 

Like it or not, Shanklands pedigree has been predominantly at lower level in Scottish Football. His time at DUFC in SPL wasn’t great and it was the same in Belgium. 

No one can take away from the fact he was our first 20 goal a season striker since Robbo and it took us x number of years to find someone who could do that.

That makes him valuable to us but the reality is that he’s not a regular for the national team and at 28 years old, hasn’t proven himself at a level beyond SPL. He’s scored in Europe but without doing too much checking you could probably find 15 plus goal a season strikers in NI Premiership who have scored a similar number goals in Europe to Shankland.

While our value of him is limitless, the reality is anything over 3 or 4 million and I’d be amazed.

Selkirkhmfc1874
9 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Im sure that guy paid half his wages from memory

Don't need to break our wage structure but give him huge signing on fee to sign the contract

12 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

I remember that, Daher I think it was. Can't remember the terms but £1k a game with bonuses for winning/scoring rings a bell.

Could be miles out, it was a long time ago.

Edited by cazzyy

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The desperation from Hibs vermin, there are no other kind of their supporters, for Shankland to leave is evident on this thread. From those who claim he is too slow and couldn't cope with English higher leagues to those who claim he is over rated/valued, they are crying out for him to go as he something they are shit scared of.

TBH I think his limitations should be spoken about loudly. If Southampton (or any potential club) are unwilling to pay the asking price because he's "too old" or "too slow" - then move on, find another target and stop bothering us! Otherwise the tire kicking ****s can pay the money. 

I don't want Shanks going anywhere but we NEED to get him on an extension as a matter of urgency. 

I think its at risk of becoming a distraction, and getting him to sign that extension would be massive. The quoted figures just don't interest me. £3m - the **** are we going to do with that? Our team is brilliant right now, we have as solid a forward line as we can get on our budget and likewise across the rest of the team. We don't need the money, and it would probably become more of a hassle to try and replace him than it would to just tell the prospective clubs to piss off and offer him a wage that might tempt him to stay. 

Next summer is a bit different, if Shanks is keen on a move then, we can hopefully go into that window eyes wide open that he's moving on and plan accordingly. But its too late in the day to be doing business that could lose us our key player. 

9 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Don't need to break our wage structure but give him huge signing on fee to sign the contract

funnily enough we were saying that’s a work around on Sunday there. In stages but surely must be an option ? His work ethic is superb so low risk

Edited by 1971fozzy

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

TBH I think his limitations should be spoken about loudly. If Southampton (or any potential club) are unwilling to pay the asking price because he's "too old" or "too slow" - then move on, find another target and stop bothering us! Otherwise the tire kicking ****s can pay the money. 

I don't want Shanks going anywhere but we NEED to get him on an extension as a matter of urgency. 

I think its at risk of becoming a distraction, and getting him to sign that extension would be massive. The quoted figures just don't interest me. £3m - the **** are we going to do with that? Our team is brilliant right now, we have as solid a forward line as we can get on our budget and likewise across the rest of the team. We don't need the money, and it would probably become more of a hassle to try and replace him than it would to just tell the prospective clubs to piss off and offer him a wage that might tempt him to stay. 

Next summer is a bit different, if Shanks is keen on a move then, we can hopefully go into that window eyes wide open that he's moving on and plan accordingly. But its too late in the day to be doing business that could lose us our key player. 

Agree with every word as this is how I feel. I can’t wait for this window to slam shut, I just want the team settled and getting on with the business of playing and winning football matches . 
♥️♥️G♥️

12 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I’m going to do something I thought I’d never do and actually back up @Mr Elwood P here.

Jordan Rhodes had been playing well and scoring in the English Championship when he got his move all those years ago. Ellis Simms had played and done well in Championship. 

Like it or not, Shanklands pedigree has been predominantly at lower level in Scottish Football. His time at DUFC in SPL wasn’t great and it was the same in Belgium. 

No one can take away from the fact he was our first 20 goal a season striker since Robbo and it took us x number of years to find someone who could do that.

That makes him valuable to us but the reality is that he’s not a regular for the national team and at 28 years old, hasn’t proven himself at a level beyond SPL. He’s scored in Europe but without doing too much checking you could probably find 15 plus goal a season strikers in NI Premiership who have scored a similar number goals in Europe to Shankland.

While our value of him is limitless, the reality is anything over 3 or 4 million and I’d be amazed.

You've just described someone that Southampton surely wouldn't be in the least bit interested in. Hopefully that's the case!

49 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

One EPL goal and 7 English Championship goals.

I would say 25 SPFL goals in just over a season compares more than favourably to that.

Fact is, had Simms not been on Everton's books then he would be considerably cheaper than £7m. Even just being on the books of an EPL club seems to have other clubs losing the plot but we have seen enough examples up here of just how average those players can be.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

One EPL goal and 7 English Championship goals.

I would say 25 SPFL goals in just over a season compares more than favourably to that.

Fact is, had Simms not been on Everton's books then he would be considerably cheaper than £7m. Even just being on the books of an EPL club seems to have other clubs losing the plot but we have seen enough examples up here of just how average those players can be.

Goals scored in the English Championship will be valued more by buying clubs playing in the English Championship. 

20 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

First bit felt slightly harsh!

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Last reported turnover was under £15m so DxB is actually correct. Year just finished could well be higher but none of us know that yet. 
Donations took total income over the £20m level in year to June 22 

June 22/June 23 will be nearer 23 million 

57 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Surely that an argument for selling. We could refuse to sell at £4m he does his ACL in October and then he's worth nothing to us.

Irrelevant, he could become a Jehovah witness*  tomorrow and give up the game tomorrow 

*  Peter Knowles , Wolves and England who gave up the game overnight when he was the top young striker in England, never ever played again although Wolves kept his registration for over 10 years, I digress, any player could get injured or anything for that matter, if we all thought that we would never sign anyone 

34 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

If Shanklands stats are so unimpressive why would Southampton or anyone else for that matter have any desire in signing him ?

14 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

June 22/June 23 will be nearer 23 million 

Could be. Could also have been a one-off year so no point in using it as a baseline. The guys point still stands - £4m is a significant chunk of our annual income or turnover in any year. 

The White Cockade
39 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

In that case nobody will bid enough to take him from us 

Job done

id rather keep Shanks than get 10M for him anyway and surely any Hearts supporter would agree 

36 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

If nobody is willing to pay the asking price then that suits me, hopefully he can hit 100 goals for Hearts

This is it in a nutshell for me, the market value of Shankland may be less than his value to us. In which case we don't sell if no one meets it. Pretty simple really. 

Brick Tamland
1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

He’s a championship player playing for Southampton 

if we are going down that track, Shankland has played in the top league in Belgium,  regardless why are Hearts fans ? so keen to undersell our main asset when we don’t need to.

You have made an assumption that it is only Hearts fans on here....the place has been riddled with the shite from Leith.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I mean I get why people are using Nisbet as a yard stick but he is not as good a player as Shankland 

The Scotland manager clearly thinks he is.  But I suspect Nisbet will struggle at Millwall this season and fall behind Shankland in the pecking order, if he stays with us and keeps up his form from last season.

17 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Irrelevant, he could become a Jehovah witness*  tomorrow and give up the game tomorrow 

*  Peter Knowles , Wolves and England who gave up the game overnight when he was the top young striker in England, never ever played again although Wolves kept his registration for over 10 years, I digress, any player could get injured or anything for that matter, if we all thought that we would never sign anyone 

I'm more basing it on our luck with injuries and sales. Paterson, Driver, Beni and Souttar spring to mind ...

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

True. Chance you take I suppose. Bit us on the arse years ago with driver

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The Scotland manager clearly thinks he is.  But I suspect Nisbet will struggle at Millwall this season and fall behind Shankland in the pecking order, if he stays with us and keeps up his form from last season.

Yeah Clarke has his own ideas about things but Shankland is clearly the better player 

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We got robbed with him. 

Contract length was the big downfall. He had the talent and a very high ceiling for potential. He'd have actually gone for £7-10m if we had had a 5 year deal on him.

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah Clarke has his own ideas about things but Shankland is clearly the better player 

Fans have biased opinions about there own players.  I was a bit surprised when a Pars fan I know told me he thought Nisbet is better than Shankland but then I remembered he played for them too.  Most Jambos will say Shankland is better, most Hibees will say Nisbet.   I think Shankland is a better all round player but Nisbet has a bit more pace.   

Does surprise me a bit that to date Clarke has seen Nisbet as a better option but Shankland seems on an upward curve at the moment.

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Contract length was the big downfall. He had the talent and a very high ceiling for potential. He'd have actually gone for £7-10m if we had had a 5 year deal on him.

I think he still had a full year to go?  As did Nisbet who went for a bit more iirc?  Hickey has way more potential than Nisbet.  We still got robbed blind there imo.