Shankland

Thomaso

If he goes, it has to break our transfer record, which currently stands at £9 Million for Craig Gordon 16 years ago! 

We haven't had an asset like him in decades, so we should treat any approach like that. 

Celtic and Rangers regularly get that sort of money, so why can we never seem to get close. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I am complete opposite end from you

I couldn’t give a toss if we lose him for nowt in 2 years

Keep him here and build a famous team round his captaincy 

Then he can walk for free summer 2025 all the best. 

Striker of that quality up front for Hearts? Not been seen for 30 years and may not be seen again for another 30 years. He is not replaceable 

We've never really been in a position where we have cash in the bank to go and buy players. 

As I said, 4 Scottish International strikers, signed for peanuts from the lower leagues and we're worrying that we couldn't find a striker when we've got a top recruitment team & money. 

Like yourself I'd rather keep him until he retires, he could score hundreds for us but if there's mega money to be had, we could literally sign Skacels, Bednars and Jannys. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You think if we get £3-4m, McKinleys giving all that to Savage to sign a replacement ?

I think it more likely we sign potential to replace him, within the wage budget and for a reasonable fee if we have to, hoping we can unearth another Shankland and sell him on too

I think if we had millions to spend it doesn't necessarily need to be spent on one player but it allows us to increase our range. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I agree but it will be known in football agent circles. For me if it’s only £3m someone would have triggered it by now

My thoughts also

All roads lead to Gorgie
17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s not that complicated. If he wants to go he’ll be going. Whether that’s this week, or January or next summer, or he runs his contract down. Hopefully we’ve not committed to a daft release clause and end up getting less than he is worth

That is a slight worry because when we signed him I don't think the fans expected him to score so many goals and I don't think the club would have either. Yes, we did think he would be the top scorer but I think we underestimated how good he actually is as a player. We probably thought because he didn't score that many at his last club he wouldn't have Robbo like stats here but he was obviously hindered by poor team mates and lack of service. 

Like it's been said if it was 3-4million clause he would probably have been away at the end of the season.

16 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yep, heading towards 30. If you've got a really good player you want them to be 19-22 ideally with a high potential ceiling a long term contract. That will maximise value. For me,  Shankland is at his absolute best right now and doesn't play for Scotland ahead of Lyndon Dykes and apparently Nesbit. That will impact the offers from English Championship clubs. The Jota move surely puts to bed any chat of Saudi. I think we will get an offer of £3-4m max.

Saudi is not realistic now, if it ever was, as you state. Potential suitors will have reservations when you look at his career to date. Move to Belgium didnt work out plus most of his goals have been at a lower level. Worry being, he showed last year what he can do in a better side than he had played for to that point. Already off and running this season too. 

I'd agree that some of the figures getting flung around here are pretty fanciful. What Hibs received selling Nisbet into English Championship as he approached the final year of his contract is a concern if we retain him past the end of the month but don't renegotiate.

I have a feeling he'll end up signing a new deal and this is where he'll remain. Don't know why I think that but I just have a feeling that's how it'll go.  I'd certainly rather have someone scoring 20+ each season for the next 5 years than £3M. Budge could end up running up an overspend of north of that figure on the hotel project. Of course the player himself would need to be content and happy to stay. 

Guess it'll all become clearer in the next week and a bit. 

Can I just ask as this thread moves at pace has there been any actual confirmed interest in him or are we all shitting the bed for nothing??

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We've never really been in a position where we have cash in the bank to go and buy players. 

As I said, 4 Scottish International strikers, signed for peanuts from the lower leagues and we're worrying that we couldn't find a striker when we've got a top recruitment team & money. 

Like yourself I'd rather keep him until he retires, he could score hundreds for us but if there's mega money to be had, we could literally sign Skacels, Bednars and Jannys. 

I think if we had millions to spend it doesn't necessarily need to be spent on one player but it allows us to increase our range. 

Depends what you mean by mega money

£3m ain’t mega money 

11 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Shankland is the kind of inventive striker who instinctively knows how to adjust his body/feet everything just to get the ball redirected into the net. Robbo did it with aplomb. It’s all that matters in the box, batter the ball / dink it / flick it / rebound it off your arse / whatever it takes and without any conscious thought, just drill the bloody ball into the back of the net. Who needs pace when you have that intuition. Also, Shankland is no slouch anyway.

His finish against Rosenborg an amazing example of this.  From section A, and knowing he ain't the quickest, it didn't overly look like he was favourite and certainly even if he got to the ball first, he had no time.  His only real finish was what he did.  A chip to the front post!  Who else does that in that scenario?  Then through against Partick and he has more time, but pass to the gap the keeper leaves inside the post (with left foot).

As you say, it's about his body shape and his awareness of the keeper and defenders around him.  Natural stuff.  You can practice it, you can add elements of it to your game, but at his level of accomplishment, you have it or you don't, frankly.

8 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Can I just ask as this thread moves at pace has there been any actual confirmed interest in him or are we all shitting the bed for nothing??

It's all rumours or press specualtion as far as I can see at the moment and seems to depend on whether Che Adams moves to Everton or not.

It is claimed that Southampton have identified Shankland as Adams replacement.

16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If he does go and we get a healthy fee then perhaps this guy would be worth a shout although not sure his current Manager would want him to come to us.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-barnsley-to-submit-1m-bid-for-exeter-city-star-sam-nombe/

24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Striker of that quality up front for Hearts? Not been seen for 30 years and may not be seen again for another 30 years. He is not replaceable 

You know what, this guy gets it.

Shankland is irreplaceable, we dont get goalscorers like him at Hearts.  

My only concern is just say we did reject a £5m bid from Saudi and they were going to pay him £50k a week or something, how would Shankland react to that?  Would he still be happy to stay and continue to bang in the goals for us or would he down tools?  

I would hope he had the attitude to continue to deliver for us but holding someone back from earning that kind of cash can make them resentful.

10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Depends what you mean by mega money

£3m ain’t mega money 

I'm sure the club will value him at at least double that given his importance to us. 

ScandinavianJambo

It is a sad state of affairs that we are having to discuss that Shankland might be for sale in the middle of a European campaign. 

God I hate football at times...

2 hours ago, Ford Prentice said:

Have to say if we're offered £5m from Southhampton I think we'd take it especially given he'd be desperate to go. 

Probably replace him with Nouble, Livingston would be over the moon if they got 1m for him (probably accept a good deal less). Nouble is not the same type of player and doesn't score a lot of goals but along with Boyce, Tagawa, Oda, Vargas we would still have a very strong forward line.

I'm not arsed about getting Nouble, a meh signing.

I'd be thoroughly underwhelmed if he was seen as shanklands replacement!

40 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

👏:clap::clap::clap:

He could smash modern day records for us. Already well on his way up our all times scorers list.

14 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

It is a sad state of affairs that we are having to discuss that Shankland might be for sale in the middle of a European campaign. 

God I hate football at times...

Yep it’s like what’s the point. 

Soon as we get a decent team together and look to have a great season .  It gets broken up . 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This is maybe one situation where we should maybe think seriously about saying no to any offers, even if we were to end up losing for a pittance down the line.

it’s very late in the window and he’s so crucial.

That said, a lot depends on Shankland being happy to stay. Because pointless having him if he’s not 

Jack Torrance

If he goes, he needs to be our record sale. We/Vlad got £9m about forty years ago for Gordon and he hardly scores.

Prices have risen sharply since then, especially with the Saudi Market having a knock on effect. We're in a good position with our Captain.

Edited by Jack Torrance

Fxxx the SPFL

Had a look at three Southampton fans forums and Shanks gets very few mentions so possibly just a lot of nonsense only he and his agent will know.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Had a look at three Southampton fans forums and Shanks gets very few mentions so possibly just a lot of nonsense only he and his agent will know.

Good, although they are extremely insular and over confident down there, probably think they will get Lukaku on loan 😆

25 minutes ago, Shanks said:

My only concern is just say we did reject a £5m bid from Saudi and they were going to pay him £50k a week or something, how would Shankland react to that?  Would he still be happy to stay and continue to bang in the goals for us or would he down tools?  

I would hope he had the attitude to continue to deliver for us but holding someone back from earning that kind of cash can make them resentful.

(absolutely shocked that exRangers hasnt done what its noted for - put in an insulting offer and use this and that he is a Hvn fan to unsettle him, until they get him on the cheap....theyve done this for decades - Scvm)

Fortunately or unfortunately football is very much a business to the same level as its a sporting club. Good sense is to sell when a player is at a peak.....which Shankland currently is (his stock couldnt be much higher after proving that last season wasnt a 1 season wonder scenario) He needs to be offered a REAL hike in pay/contract long before the end of the year where/when he will have made his mind up whether his future is with us or not. Ideally he would let us know right now so we could think of selling him while at this peak (if required) but agents/players rightly like to keep their cards close to their chests. Ideally he would either sign a lucrative improved contract with us extending his deal a further two years (making him potentially here for "4 more years") or we sell him for £5m to whichever club sees his worth. Anything other than those two options would be potentially poor for us.........Unless of course he stays until the end of this season - bangs them in regularly and gets sold in May 2024 for the £5m but that would need us all back to church praying 🙏

38 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm sure the club will value him at at least double that given his importance to us. 

I just can't see any basis for him going for £6/7m? Dykes / Nesbit is surely the comparison? Be unbelievable to get the same fee that Everton got for Simms.

Lord Montpelier

My guess on whether we sell in this window

Go through to euro group stages - keep him. We'll get a few mill because of that

Get knocked out - sell (assuming the offers are there). Get money whilst the player is at maximum value 

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

If he goes, it has to break our transfer record, which currently stands at £9 Million for Craig Gordon 16 years ago! 

We haven't had an asset like him in decades, so we should treat any approach like that. 

Celtic and Rangers regularly get that sort of money, so why can we never seem to get close. 

This is how I feel 

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Morelos went for nothing and Van Veen went for less <£1m, Nesbit for £2m. Folk need to calm right doon.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It must be time for the Record to do a ‘Shankland to Ibrox’ kiddie-on story, surely. Disappointed in them if they don’t. Standards obviously slipping 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Morelos went for nothing and Van Veen went for less <£1m, Nesbit for £2m. Folk need to calm right doon.

Yeah, still waiting for Gerrard to pay £50m for Morelos, like he said people would have to :rofl:

Ex member of the SaS

Obviously pure speculation at this time but if he goes sooner rather than later, I would expect the scouting time to have eyes on one or more possible replacements. Surely we are not in the position where, he goes and we scramble around looking AFTER he goes.

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It must be time for the Record to do a ‘Shankland to Ibrox’ kiddie-on story, surely. Disappointed in them if they don’t. Standards obviously slipping 

They spent £7m on an Eredivise winner with European experience...

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I just can't see any basis for him going for £6/7m? Dykes / Nesbit is surely the comparison? Be unbelievable to get the same fee that Everton got for Simms.

Shows the fickle nature of football.......give us lot a choice of Sims back or Shanks and we'd choose the latter......yet sims went recently for an alleged £5m/£7m, so we would probably expect at least as much ? (Everton had flatly turned down £4m but accepted a "bit more") Mind you as LS plays in Scotland that automatically to English clubs knocks 30-40% of his alleged value.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Obviously pure speculation at this time but if he goes sooner rather than later, I would expect the scouting time to have eyes on one or more possible replacements. Surely we are not in the position where, he goes and we scramble around looking AFTER he goes.

One sticky aspect to this is, if Saudi resurfaces, their transfer window closes 3 weeks after ours shuts. 

Just now, busbyfth said:

Shows the fickle nature of football.......give us lot a choice of Sims back or Shanks and we'd choose the latter......yet sims went recently for an alleged £5m/£7m, so we would probably expect at least as much ? (Everton had flatly turned down £4m but accepted a "bit more") Mind you as LS plays in Scotland that automatically to English clubs knocks 30-40% of his alleged value.

Simms performed well at Sunderland, scored against Chelsea in the EPL and was sold by an EPL club. He's also a lot younger and has a higher ceiling...

3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

So we should (Hypothetically) once knowing that a player is leaving/signing for big bucks, buy just in advance as once clubs know a team has a huge X to spend then they put the prices up accordingly to chance their luck. 

GorgieFifeLife
52 minutes ago, Shanks said:

If he wants a move he will be gone.  No chance we will be keeping him against his will.  Contracts mean little these days.  He will see this as his last chance to go to a higher level and make more money.

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

They spent £7m on an Eredivise winner with European experience...

Shankland has European experience…..

:whistling: 

Shooter McGavin
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Only a few goals away from becoming tied as our top European goalscorer

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, WageThief said:

Aah the old say something stupid, stand by what you said for a bit, then claim “I was only joking”.

Loads of posters said he was overweight, fat, etc.

I repeatedly asked for pics, but all I’ve seen is Shankland scoring. 

👍

GorgieFifeLife
39 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This is maybe one situation where we should maybe think seriously about saying no to any offers, even if we were to end up losing for a pittance down the line.

it’s very late in the window and he’s so crucial.

That said, a lot depends on Shankland being happy to stay. Because pointless having him if he’s not 

If we keep him the club will be lambasted by some for not getting good fees for our players like Hibs and Aberdeen do.

23 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Scored more goals than all of them. 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

8 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Not at the level Rangers play at unfortunately...

Just now, Cruyff said:

Scored more goals than all of them. 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

He's older and behind them for the National team though?

2 more Euro trips (groups) could be worth about £10m, along with the 3rd place finishes they come with. Not guaranteed but in a far better place to achieve it with Shankland. So that's the starting point for me, or we don't sell. We don't have to sell just because an English side has enquired. 

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

‘Shitting the bed’ ? Nothing like turning a perfectly reasonable discussion into a full blown drama. How do folk like you get through life lurching from one imagined bed shitting to another ?

1 hour ago, Hearts_fan said:

Shankland is the kind of inventive striker who instinctively knows how to adjust his body/feet everything just to get the ball redirected into the net. Robbo did it with aplomb. It’s all that matters in the box, batter the ball / dink it / flick it / rebound it off your arse / whatever it takes and without any conscious thought, just drill the bloody ball into the back of the net. Who needs pace when you have that intuition. Also, Shankland is no slouch anyway.

Yes.

Always remember Robbo crediting Jimmy O' Rourke with coaching him to "hit it early". A sniff at goal, and boom; in it goes.

Shankland's a goal machine. Phenomenal.

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

‘Shitting the bed’ ? Nothing like turning a perfectly reasonable discussion into a full blown drama. How do folk like you get through life lurching from one imagined bed shitting to another ?

WTF 😂😂

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
4 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Yes.

Always remember Robbo crediting Jimmy O' Rourke with coaching him to "hit it early". A sniff at goal, and boom; in it goes.

Shankland's a goal machine. Phenomenal.

I bet he was cursing himself for that, at the end of Robbo's career.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

It's all rumours or press specualtion as far as I can see at the moment and seems to depend on whether Che Adams moves to Everton or not.

It is claimed that Southampton have identified Shankland as Adams replacement.

Seems a reasonable link and unfortunately would be a lucrative and decent move for Shankland himself.

Ricardo Quaresma
5 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

Thanks Ricardo, in my humble opinion, footballers are a tad more intelligent than some posters on here so will 100% get the sarcasm.

Plus, anything written about them on forums / sung at matches is water off a ducks back to them.

Pro footballers have gone through years of developing skins thicker than rhino's so whatever is written / said about them will be white noise to them.

That said, it amuses me no end reading some of the er.... theories posted on here. Be boring otherwise :)

That's fine, pal; you do know it was not aimed at anyone specifically, including yourself 👍

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Cameronstheman

English clubs wont offer  say £5 million for Shanks, as they are arrogant enough to believe they can just cherry pick at well below the players value, OF pretty much  being the exception

Maybe there has be an offer and Shanks fancy's it, but the club want more and rightly so 

Thing is, if  Shanks keeps scoring (and he will) something will have to give sooner rather than later 

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Liam Corbett, on the TIMS podcast, suggested that there may be a £3M release clause.

If that’s the case, then there isn’t much we can do but hope for a bidding war.

That acronym throws me every time.