Shankland

Thomaso

17 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

It’ll come down to what the player wants to do. I really think it’s that simple. Thankfully he seems a decent bloke that won’t shaft us like others have done. 
looking back over the years the likes of Webster, Alan Johnston, Souttar, Hickey all left for nothing / peanuts. 

I know it comes under the same framework but I am not inclined to include Aaron Hickey along with the others.   Just my personal opinion.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

29 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How many caps do you get for sitting on the bench? Pretty sure buying clubs will be looking at caps over arse splinters from the bench...

Jeezo 🤦🏻‍♂️ continuing to make yourself look silly. Realised you made an error by not reading my post correctly so you’ve doubled down and made out like Shankland is now not an international player because he’s been on the bench 🥴 give up man.

14 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Jeezo 🤦🏻‍♂️ continuing to make yourself look silly. Realised you made an error by not reading my post correctly so you’ve doubled down and made out like Shankland is now not an international player because he’s been on the bench 🥴 give up man.

Do you remember reading that this conversation was over about 2 hours ago? If you had read that properly we could have avoided the pain of this interaction. If you don't think more international caps = more value, there really isn't any point talking to you. You clearly just don't get it. You have then had to resort to name calling (silly). You evidently don't have the intelligence for a basic debate. Complete failure on your part and a total waste of my time. 

Enjoy the game.

2 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Just out of interest, and at this stage of the window. How much would be acceptable to you, or how much do you think the club would cave at?

I think it all depends on the score tonight.

If we win 4-0 we're as good as through and any offer north of £5M would temp them.

If the tie is in the balance I don't think they'd sell regardless.

If we take a pumping tonight I reckon any bid of £4M+ would be considered.

Personally, I think we should keep him unless we get a crazy offer from Saudi (£6M+).

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Do you remember reading that this conversation was over about 2 hours ago? If you had read that properly we could have avoided the pain of this interaction. If you don't think more international caps = more value, there really isn't any point talking to you. You clearly just don't get it. You have then had to resort to name calling (silly). You evidently don't have the intelligence for a basic debate. Complete failure on your part and a total waste of my time. 

Enjoy the game.

Yes I do remember it and you still don’t get what I’ve said which is unfortunate. Realised you’ve made a mistake but not giving in, fair play. Will also keep in mind in future that you’re only an international player if you’re in the starting 11 👍🏼

Will do and same to yourself.

4 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yes I do remember it and you still don’t get what I’ve said which is unfortunate. Realised you’ve made a mistake but not giving in, fair play. Will also keep in mind in future that you’re only an international player if you’re in the starting 11 👍🏼

Will do and same to yourself.

Of course you're an international if you get called up to the squad. Surely there is more transfer value in an established international player versus a fringe player though?

47 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

I know it comes under the same framework but I am not inclined to include Aaron Hickey along with the others.   Just my personal opinion.

fair enough. Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned him. I really was meaning it would be nice to get some serious transfer fees for in contract players. Hopefully we will going forward

Oh Surprise.....

Another thread has degenerated into bitchfest !

Anyway, ON TOPIC , Shanks aint going anywhere....

Source , the burd behind the counter at the Gorgie Fish Bar !

5 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Oh Surprise.....

Another thread has degenerated into bitchfest !

Anyway, ON TOPIC , Shanks aint going anywhere....

Source , the burd behind the counter at the Gorgie Fish Bar !

Tidy?

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Tidy?

She would be , if it wasnt for the beard !

42 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

I think it all depends on the score tonight.

If we win 4-0 we're as good as through and any offer north of £5M would temp them.

If the tie is in the balance I don't think they'd sell regardless.

If we take a pumping tonight I reckon any bid of £4M+ would be considered.

Personally, I think we should keep him unless we get a crazy offer from Saudi (£6M+).

I would agree. The board keep saying we're not a selling club, we don't need to sell, so let's see.

I would also get a contract under his nose asap, and hopefully he's enjoying his football so much, that he signs it. If not, and it's a great offer, then we have a dilemma.

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

I would agree. The board keep saying we're not a selling club, we don't need to sell, so let's see.

I would also get a contract under his nose asap, and hopefully he's enjoying his football so much, that he signs it. If not, and it's a great offer, then we have a dilemma.

I can't recall a board member ever saying we're not a selling club!

20 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

The club is absolutely financially healthy enough they can laugh off a 3 or maybe 4 million offer for Shankland. That is extremely commendable, a lot of clubs in Scotland and England would have to take that deal.

But every club on the planet outside of a few clubs in Manchester and Paris and Munich are selling clubs. The only question is what is your leverage. Is your club financially healthy enough to beat back weak offers? Is your club atmosphere positive enough that a player would be willing to take a reasonably lower amount over jumping for a contract that is larger but not life changingly so?

I'm not embarrassed to be a selling club. If Hearts flip Shankland for 5 million, I'll be sad for the short term but know this club is healthier in the long term with even more players will look at hearts as a pathway to advance their career. This club is well run financially even with the outgoing transfer record the past decade being a disaster. If this club can start maximizing player value, things will only get more positive.

Edited by Smithian

A club has to keep its best players if it wants to build. The most annoying part is when they sell a player to Celtic or Rangers, knowing he could face them 5/6 times the following season. If Hearts want to get nearer Celtic, then they should wrap Shankland up on a long term deal without the drama.

15 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I can't recall a board member ever saying we're not a selling club!

Joe Savage has previously said, we don’t have to sell, regarding a particular player. He also said it would take an astronomical offer, for a certain player, to be considered. Joe is Sporting Director, I would imagine his views aren't dissimilar to the rest of the board. I'm sure McKinley has made similar comments recently. Anyway, you have your take on it, and I have mine. No problemo!!

17 minutes ago, Smithian said:

The club is absolutely financially healthy enough they can laugh off a 3 or maybe 4 million offer for Shankland. That is extremely commendable, a lot of clubs in Scotland and England would have to take that deal.

But every club on the planet outside of a few clubs in Manchester and Paris and Munich are selling clubs. The only question is what is your leverage. Is your club financially healthy enough to beat back weak offers? Is your club atmosphere positive enough that a player would be willing to take a reasonably lower amount over jumping for a contract that is larger but not life changingly so?

I'm not embarrassed to be a selling club. If Hearts flip Shankland for 5 million, I'll be sad for the short term but know this club is healthier in the long term with even more players will look at hearts as a pathway to advance their career. This club is well run financially even with the outgoing transfer record the past decade being a disaster. If this club can start maximizing player value, things will only get more positive.

Everybody has a price, even if we're not a selling club. But at least, as you say, we won't sell anymore, until our valuation is met.

I'll be amazed if an offer doesn't come in for him by the end of this window. 

In brilliant  form and  his overall  play and goals return is unreal atm.

indianajones

Cute wee forearm smash into that rat at the back as well.

Knew exactly what he was doing. 

Said it so many times as have many others. Offer him a new deal and make him the highest earner.

pettigrewsstylist

His calm penalty under pressure, again. His offside finish, his first half header, at this level.

Talk of 3mill is nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I genuinely think I’ll cry if he leaves.

Genuinely think we’re in bother if he leaves 

2 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

He should be getting offered a new deal. 

He should have been offered one months ago. 

I'm praying we've been in talks for a while and its been kept on the down low. 

If we're trying to be clever here and offer him a deal late on in his contract to save a bit of money, whoever is advocating that should be sacked. 

Big ballsy contract offer now. £10k pw with an extension to take him to 32/33. 

Its worth it. 

Folk saying we should sell that man for £3m because we’d lose him for free in two years 😂 

Sixty goals during the next two years or a £3m cheque today… hmmmm tough one 😂

3 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Shankland is ****ing outstanding. Keep him at all costs! 

I dunno, some folk over the road still maintain all he does is score pens. :lol: 

311381EE-6F80-4362-A423-46225F6D4B74.thumb.jpeg.508a2fbc8db693479170b147c4e63715.jpeg

Unknown user
10 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Joe Savage has previously said, we don’t have to sell, regarding a particular player. He also said it would take an astronomical offer, for a certain player, to be considered. Joe is Sporting Director, I would imagine his views aren't dissimilar to the rest of the board. I'm sure McKinley has made similar comments recently. Anyway, you have your take on it, and I have mine. No problemo!!

That's fair enough, but "the board keep saying we're not a selling club" isn't.

I wonder if this will mean Southampton are dropping any interest they may have had in Shankland.

Aberdeen are bracing themselves for a Southampton approach for Bojan Miovski, with Saints manager Russell Martin having been keen on the 24-year-old Macedonia striker since his time in charge of Swansea City.

The Dons want a fee in excess of £4m, but nothing has been formalised yet with the Championship club in discussions to sell Scotland striker Che Adams to Everton. (Football Scotland)

If they want 4 million for Miovski then I’m wanting 6 for Shanks, yes i know <Miovski is younger but for me shanks is a better all round player.

I don’t think Shanks Will leave anyway, no source just a feeling,.

Fozzyonthefence
32 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I wonder if this will mean Southampton are dropping any interest they may have had in Shankland.

Aberdeen are bracing themselves for a Southampton approach for Bojan Miovski, with Saints manager Russell Martin having been keen on the 24-year-old Macedonia striker since his time in charge of Swansea City.

The Dons want a fee in excess of £4m, but nothing has been formalised yet with the Championship club in discussions to sell Scotland striker Che Adams to Everton. (Football Scotland)

Unlike us, Aberdeen don’t seem to find it hard to get top dollar for their better players, even though they’re not that special, so wouldn’t surprise me. 

If we lose Shanks in his current form we will have trouble replacing him with someone as capable. Really hope we keep hold of him for a good while

Congratulations to Lawrence and his wife on the birth of their baby daughter. 

Makes his recent goalscoring form even more impressive. Can be a stressful and worrying time when it's close to the due date. 🙃 

Top man

Ronald Villiers

I see Southampton are apparently interested on Twitter.  The guy's just welcomed a child into the world and has 2 years on his contract.  I would doubt he'll be going anywhere.  Settled in Edinburgh and got his family not too far away.  Even if offered a ludicrous amount of cash, is he really going to relocate his family, or move away himself and miss the first few months of his child's life.  Is there enough cash being offered to do that?  I hope not, but who knows.

3 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

I see Southampton are apparently interested on Twitter.  The guy's just welcomed a child into the world and has 2 years on his contract.  I would doubt he'll be going anywhere.  Settled in Edinburgh and got his family not too far away.  Even if offered a ludicrous amount of cash, is he really going to relocate his family, or move away himself and miss the first few months of his child's life.  Is there enough cash being offered to do that?  I hope not, but who knows.

Yes. 

5 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

No Brainer mate, 

If someone was offering me 30-35k per week to play in English championship and potentially go up into to the premier league next season, I would be off in a heartbeat and I love Hearts, Shankland doesn't even support us.

For what it's worth, I seriously hope he doesn't go, as I think we will be in big trouble trying to replace his goals this season, if we do sell I would looking at closer to 10m considering he is our captain and pretty much only goal threat.

:trippin: 

Do folk honestly think we'd get £10m for Larry Shanks. :rofl: 

I hope he stays, but if he is offered a better life, he should take it, and we'll get £2m if we're lucky.  He's brilliant for us and would be missed, but £10m :rofl: evening £5m 🤣 . Stop smoking skunk.

21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:trippin: 

Do folk honestly think we'd get £10m for Larry Shanks. :rofl: 

I hope he stays, but if he is offered a better life, he should take it, and we'll get £2m if we're lucky.  He's brilliant for us and would be missed, but £10m :rofl: evening £5m 🤣 . Stop smoking skunk.

But we wouldn’t accept 2 million so what then? Thinking we would is just as nutty as folk saying 10 million.  

Not sure I like his latest interview in EEN. Basically calling out the defence, Denholm and Zander in particular and blaming them for the defeat on Sunday. If you’re saying it in the changing rooms then fine. But not to the papers ffs.

In the last two league games we’ve only conceded 1 goal but scored ZERO! In 180 mins against Killie and Dundee we haven’t scored a single goal. I’d keep my power dry if I were you Shanks. 

He used the old saying ‘if we can’t win, make sure we don’t lose.’ To me that equates to saying ‘It’s ok for us attackers not to do our jobs, but you defenders better not concede’. Typical striker and I bet big Zander will have something to say this morning at training. 

Edited by DS98

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Not sure I like his latest interview in EEN. Basically calling out the defence, Denholm and Zander in particular and blaming them for the defeat on Sunday. If you’re saying it in the changing rooms then fine. But not to the papers ffs.

In the last two league games we’ve only conceded 1 goal but scored ZERO! In 180 mins against Killie and Dundee we haven’t scored a single goal. I’d keep my power dry if I were you Shanks. 

He used the old saying ‘if we can’t win, make sure we don’t lose.’ To me that equates to saying ‘It’s ok for us attackers not to do our jobs, but you defenders better not concede’. Typical striker and I bet big Zander will have something to say this morning at training. 

Zander knows he was at fault for being daft enough to take a short free kick 30 yards from his goal so not sure its a problem.