• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

A friend of mine told me his decision to retire was in part motivated by this kind of stuff, in his case comments about his weight in the media.

The point was that it didn't bother him personally, but it did affect his family, in particular his wife and kids. 

The arseholes in every support don't care tho, they think shouting, screaming or posting abuse about/ at another person is fine.

Small man syndrome x100.

Younger folk can be excused to an extent as they are daft,  immature and need to grow up, but when it's middle age men ( usually fat and bald) they really are sad sacs.

Especially when screaming at our own.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

I don't know about everyone else, but if I was a football player, desperate for a lucrative transfer to, say, TRFC or Saudi, I very much doubt I'd allow myself to put on weight over the close season and/or allow myself to appear only 70% fit. So what is it? He wants away or he's let himself go over the close season?

Of course, there's always a third possibility. Maybe it's only in peoples' minds that he's put on weight and he is just like every other top striker (at our level, at least),  and would love to get a transfer to big money and maybe medals, but in the meantime, he'll just keep scoring goals for the team he plays for and the fans that cheer him.

Oh, and maybe he's the type of footballer who doesn't practice goal celebration routines and just reacts to goals in a way that reflects the match situation. Am I wrong to suggest he often 'appears' more delighted for a teammate when he scores than he is for himself when he does? Maybe his lack of excitement when he scores is indicative of the calmness that makes him the deadly striker he's proving himself to be.

2 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

A friend of mine told me his decision to retire was in part motivated by this kind of stuff, in his case comments about his weight in the media.

The point was that it didn't bother him personally, but it did affect his family, in particular his wife and kids. 

Who are you referring to?

WheatfieldWarrior
6 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Who are you referring to?

I'm not going to say who, I just wanted to add the insight to the debate.

13 hours ago, Jodami said:

Shankland going seems to be a Trondheim inspired story, every person I have talked to who says that's the case was in Norway.

Can confirm I heard that he was keen to move on. Can confirm I was in Norway. 

2 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

mmmm…..

1 hour ago, troonmaroon said:

Can confirm I heard that he was keen to move on. Can confirm I was in Norway. 

Heard from who? Is there a Gregg’s in Oslo?

Jack Torrance
12 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The arseholes in every support don't care tho, they think shouting, screaming or posting abuse about/ at another person is fine.

Small man syndrome x100.

Younger folk can be excused to an extent as they are daft,  immature and need to grow up, but when it's middle age men ( usually fat and bald) they really are sad sacs.

Especially when screaming at our own.

Oi! I'm fat and bald. 😄 Agree though. It's a learning thing

Some, however are way beyond saving....

I have no doubt Shankland would like a move away from Hearts in order to increase his salary and/or play at a higher level.  Given his age and his goals last season he could command (just now) a much higher salary than he's currently on.  There's no guarantee he'll score the same number of goals next season and so now would be a safe time to move.

However he knows how the system works and is only going to get a move if someone comes in and offers top dollar for him. So in the meantime he will continue to try hard for Hearts and impressive potential suitors.

In summary he's no different to any of the players at Hearts (apart from Craig Gordon) in that he'd jump at the chance to double (or more) his salary.

Edited by tazhearts

What's all this fat stuff being aimed at our captain!?!? 

Honestly couldn't care less if he was 25 stone, as long as he keeps banging them in and also getting it right up H1b5. HHGH!!

10 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Garry O'Connor.

I'm counting down the days til the window shuts. I fear we could still get a last minute offer in.

This is potentially the biggest season  in shanklands career. If he plays well and scores goals there will be a big offer for him next season, there is also the possibility of a place in Scotland team in the euros. 

41 minutes ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

Nade?

He looked overweight from a distance. Saw him in the hearts shop when he was playing for us. Built like a heavyweight boxer. 

Pete Elliott

Interview with Shankland on STV News:

Hearts skipper Lawrence Shankland prepares to take on Kilmarnock at Tynecastle on Sunday believing the Jambos’ Euro hopes are still alive and kicking.

The Gorgie skipper scored a crucial header against Rosenborg in Norway on Thursday night to cut the home side’s lead to 2-1 ahead of the return game of the Europa Conference League third round qualifier next week.

The Edinburgh side were trailing to goals from Emil Frederiksen and Jayden Nelson at the interval but in the 78th minute Shankland, on his 28th birthday, headed in a Stephen Kingsley cross for his 30th goal for the Tynecastle side leaving them to face Killie in the cinch Premiership in a better mood.

The Scotland international told Hearts’ official website: “Don’t get me wrong, throughout the game, I thought we were very much in it. We played a lot of good stuff and just couldn’t really break them down – playing just inside their half instead of getting into the final third.

“We were happy with the performance overall; the second half was much better than the first.

“Momentum swings and we can now look forward to getting back to Tynecastle next week. I won’t be there though as it’s discount night at the world buffet and food is my number one priority right now.”

Stupid Sexy Flanders
41 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He looked overweight from a distance. Saw him in the hearts shop when he was playing for us. Built like a heavyweight boxer

That's exactly how I'd describe him. He threw his shirt into the crowd at an away game once, and I heard some guy shouting "christ I wish I was as fat as you!" 😄

16 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Hearts skipper Lawrence Shankland prepares to take on Kilmarnock at Tynecastle on Sunday believing the Jambos’ Euro hopes are still alive and kicking.

The Gorgie skipper scored a crucial header against Rosenborg in Norway on Thursday night to cut the home side’s lead to 2-1 ahead of the return game of the Europa Conference League third round qualifier next week.

The Edinburgh side were trailing to goals from Emil Frederiksen and Jayden Nelson at the interval but in the 78th minute Shankland, on his 28th birthday, headed in a Stephen Kingsley cross for his 30th goal for the Tynecastle side leaving them to face Killie in the cinch Premiership in a better mood.

The Scotland international told Hearts’ official website: “Don’t get me wrong, throughout the game, I thought we were very much in it. We played a lot of good stuff and just couldn’t really break them down – playing just inside their half instead of getting into the final third.

“We were happy with the performance overall; the second half was much better than the first.

“Momentum swings and we can now look forward to getting back to Tynecastle next week. I won’t be there though as it’s discount night at the world buffet and food is my number one priority right now.”

:laugh:  :clap:

1 hour ago, His name is said:

I'm counting down the days til the window shuts. I fear we could still get a last minute offer in.

This is potentially the biggest season  in shanklands career. If he plays well and scores goals there will be a big offer for him next season, there is also the possibility of a place in Scotland team in the euros. 

Saudis are in.

Jack Torrance
1 hour ago, Pete Elliott said:

😄 

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

He looked overweight from a distance. Saw him in the hearts shop when he was playing for us. Built like a heavyweight boxer. 

Pretty sure nade got shredded when he was a raith. He would've been bigger than Tyson in his prime.

2 hours ago, jambogaza said:

Saudis are in.

They'll need to pay top $. 

Would leave us short up top with little time to get a replacement in.

21 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas, the new Zeefuik

0_10827615.jpg

I wish we'd kept him after going up, just to see if he could score at that level. Was such a pain in the tits for other teams to defend. 

Jingle Bells
19 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

I wish we'd kept him after going up, just to see if he could score at that level. Was such a pain in the tits for other teams to defend. 

Couldn't agree more DxB

Never have I seen a Striker hit the sweet spot, of the ball, as much as Genero did.

Edited by Jingle Bells

22 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Couldn't agree more DxB

Never have I seen a Striker hit the sweet spot, of the ball, as much as Genero did.

Yup, think with replaced him with Juanma, very different type of striker so hard to say if that was a good move. 

Shame he had to retire because of mental health though, hope he well now. 

Shankland just seemed off his game yesterday. Frustrated or what I don't know. I also got the impression he would have been happy to get a red card and an early bath. Just my perception I know but he just looked like a player going through the motions. Might have just been how the team was playing/Killie being a frustrating team to break down.

Wonder what's going on with him? Is he tired/needing to up his fitness levels? Does he need to go a game on the bench? We need him firing on all cylinders as he's our main goal threat (& our team captain) but if he's feeling a bit burnt out then Naismith needs to step in and do what's required help him recover.

20 hours ago, DxB Hearts said:

Aye. Brilliant finisher, esp for our level. 

Also, he was screwed to the floor, solid.    If you got the wrong side of him as a defender you weren’t recovering.   

Going through the motions until the bid comes in. Very difficult to keep him unless we offer crazy money. He’ll know how much Gino is on and will want a piece of that. 

Edited by scottg71

Ricardo Quaresma
On 13/08/2023 at 08:19, Pete Elliott said:

That had me ******* 5h1tt1ng it for a couple of seconds :lol:

Thunder and Lightning
On 13/08/2023 at 08:44, jambogaza said:

Saudis are in.

Good stuff, now to make them pay for a new stand to get him. 😃

Jambof3tornado

So assuming he's off, do we go for a hold up man like Simms to allow other runners off him or try to find the next shankland???

12 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

So assuming he's off, do we go for a hold up man like Simms to allow other runners off him or try to find the next shankland???

We need a goalscorer, we don't know whether any of the new signings will chip in with many, 

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, lou said:

We need a goalscorer, we don't know whether any of the new signings will chip in with many, 

Aye,goalscorers aint cheap,I'm hopeful Oda,Mackay,Vargas and Tagawa will contribute, even 5 from each goes a long way to helping!!!!

kingantti1874
30 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I just hope we’ve been planning for this possibility. 

In the first instance I’d go get Scott Wright to upgrade Forrest.

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I just hope we’ve been planning for this possibility. 

In the first instance I’d go get Scott Wright to upgrade Forrest.

Scott Wright should 💯 be a target. 

If we sell Shankland, we'd need to buy similar to replace his goals.

Could we get a 25+ goal a season striker for the money we would get (proposed ~ £3M)

Morelos, is still a free agent....

If we get the Saudi Riyal for Shanks

Could he be worth a 2 year contract  ?

Yes, he's an utter [email protected] could he be our utter tw@t  ? 

The quoted 3-4 millions is totally made up stuff surely, finishing 3rd is worth 5 million and without Shanks goals I highly doubt we would be anywhere near 3rd

Malinga the Swinga

Amazing how many ITK people we have yet none new about any of latest signings. Almost as if they haven't a clue yet 'going through motions, waiting on bid, he's off' all stated as if they really have inside knowledge.

It's just guesswork where if it happens, they claim to know and when it doesn't, it's ignored.

Just ****ing wait and see where we are at the end of window.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, jamle1874 said:

The quoted 3-4 millions is totally made up stuff surely, finishing 3rd is worth 5 million and without Shanks goals I highly doubt we would be anywhere near 3rd

It's all made up, nobody on here knows anything.

MarkDevriesScores4
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's all made up, nobody on here knows anything.

This could be the JKB motto 

I'd be very worried if he goes about finding a replacement

We are very slow in the transfers pre season 

5 million not a penny less I'd let him go but zero confidence we'd replace him quick enough