Glastonbury

Swanny17

11 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

So just to confirm, you moaned about Coldplay headlining most of last night…saying they were not headline worthy (whilst they were headlining)…but now, say that The Killers are decent enough to headline because they’ve headlined before?

Contradicting yourself there methinks!

Coldplay have more headline anthems than the Arctic Monkeys? Utter nonsense…and I don’t like the Arctic Monkeys.

Your opinion was to make a great headliner you needed uplifting songs for the masses…like Coldplay. 

What uplifting songs do Radiohead and The Cure have in that way…two of the best headliners Glastonbury has ever had?

Put stupid opinions on the Internet, expect to get called out about them!

Me contradicting myself?! You said The Killers were nowhere near a headline act despite headlining with a widely acclaimed set just a few years ago, put stupid things in the internet and expect them to be called out indeed!

What uplifting songs did the Cure play? Well there was close to me, let's go to bed,boys don't cry andin between days.

Sort of makes you post null and void no?

Edited by Dawnrazor

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

• Homme

• Malinga the Swinga

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Me contradicting myself?! You said The Killers were nowhere near a headline act despite headlining with a widely acclaimed set just a few years ago, put stupid things in the internet and expect them to be called out indeed!

What uplifting songs did the Cure play? Well there was close to me, let's go to bed,boys don't cry andin between days.

Sort of makes you post null and void no?

You understand I’m talking from my perspective yes?

The Killers could’ve played every year as a headliner…but I’d still say they were not a headline worthy act.

You specifically said last night the Monkeys were not headline worthy…and then said the Killers were. Your justification for The Killers being headliners is that they’ve headlined before…have the AM’s headlined before?

Would you like me to write it in crayon so you can understand my point?

You’ve then stated The Killers have more Headliner worthy songs than the Monkey’s…which was frankly idiotic (The Killers have about 2 semi decent songs ffs, The AM’s have at least three/four times that amount, but apart from their first two albums have disappeared up their own arse).

Are you saying The Cure are an uplifting band…same for Radiohead?

I can pretty much guarantee if either was playing last night you would’ve moaned about them as well.

I’d genuinely be interested to hear who you would pick for Headlining Glastonbury…personally, Glastonbury isn’t really my kind of festival…I’d gravitate more towards Download.

Now the dust has settled, how pish were AM?

Sore throat or not, that was a terrible set list, totally atmosphere draining.

15 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Now the dust has settled, how pish were AM?

Sore throat or not, that was a terrible set list, totally atmosphere draining.

Yup, godawful!

Quite why he’s morphed into a lounge lizard sleazy crooner is anyones guess…but to also sing in that same way when doing the first album songs was just jarring in the extreme. 

22 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

The Killers could’ve played every year as a headliner…but I’d still say they were not a headline worthy act.

You specifically said last night the Monkeys were not headline worthy…and then said the Killers were. Your justification for The Killers being headliners is that they’ve headlined before…have the AM’s headlined before?

You’ve then stated The Killers have more Headliner worthy songs than the Monkey’s…which was frankly idiotic (The Killers have about 2 semi decent songs ffs, The AM’s have at least three/four times that amount, but apart from their first two albums have disappeared up their own arse).

I can pretty much guarantee if either was playing last night you would’ve moaned about them as well.

I’d genuinely be interested to hear who you would pick for Headlining Glastonbury…personally, Glastonbury isn’t really my kind of festival…I’d gravitate more towards Download.

And I'm not?

13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

She was obviously aware or Def Leppard before making her statement!

with comments like that i hope you trip in your crocs and they end up inside you

:look:

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

And I'm not?

23 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Are the Cure an uplifting band, not on the whole but the songs I mentioned are.

My justification for saying the The Killers were a better headline act was not that they'd headlined before but that they've a better set of songs for a festival than the Actic Monkeys, just watch last night's set then watch The Killers from a few years ago.

To say the Killers don't have more headline songs is an idiotic statement.

You can't guarantee anything, I'd not moan at the Cure as they've been a favourite of mine since I was at school, but I can say that many of their songs aren't for a festival.

I said previously what bands I thought would be better.

You've made a lot of contradictory statements in your posts.

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

with comments like that i hope you trip in your crocs and they end up inside you

:look:

😄

11 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My justification for saying the The Killers were a better headline act was not that they'd headlined before but that they've a better set of songs for a festival than the Actic Monkeys, just watch last night's set then watch The Killers from a few years ago.

You can't guarantee anything, I'd not moan at the Cure as they've been a favourite of mine since I was at school, but I can say that many of their songs aren't for a festival.

Yeah. And to me your choices are godawful…Coldplay! Fat boy Slim, U2, Biffy Clyro…dear oh dear.

Of all the bands you could choose and you go for Coldplay!

if I could choose any bands, money was no object…personally I’d go for:

AC/DC, Led Zep (give them a blank cheque to reform) or Pink Floyd (again, give them a blank cheque and ask them to kiss and make up)…I’d also say Metallica but they already did it a few years ago.

Dr Dre to reform remaining members of NWA, then do solo stuff…bring out Snoop and Eminem.

Convince Kate Bush to get on stage and perform live at a festival.

The Killers:

Mr Brightside

Smile Like You Mean It

Somebody Told me

When You Were Young

Arctic Monkeys:

I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor

From the Ritz to the Rubble

Do I Wanna Know?

Mardy Bum

When the Sun Goes Down

Brainstorm

Fluorescent Adolescent 

R U Mine?

All in my opinion of course…

You seem to equate upbeat/popular as headline worthy…probably why you named Coldplay straight out the gate…

Radiohead and The Cure were both amazing headliners, a band doesn’t need to be upbeat/non-offensive to make a great headliner.

I’d rather scoop my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon, than listen to a Coldplay set anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Yeah. And to me your choices are godawful…Coldplay! Fat boy Slim, U2, Biffy Clyro…dear oh dear.

Of all the bands you could choose and you go for Coldplay!

if I could choose any bands, money was no object…personally I’d go for:

AC/DC, Led Zep (give them a blank cheque to reform) or Pink Floyd (again, give them a blank cheque and ask them to kiss and make up)…I’d also say Metallica but they already did it a few years ago.

Dr Dre to reform remaining members of NWA, then do solo stuff…bring out Snoop and Eminem.

Convince Kate Bush to get on stage and perform live at a festival.

The Killers:

Mr Brightside

Smile Like You Mean It

Somebody Told me

When You Were Young

Arctic Monkeys:

Do I Wanna Know?

Mardy Bum

When the Sun Goes Down

Brainstorm

Fluorescent Adolescent 

R U Mine?

All in my opinion of course…

You seem to equate upbeat/popular as headline worthy…probably why you named Coldplay straight out the gate…

Radiohead and The Cure were both amazing headliners, a band doesn’t need to be upbeat/non-offensive to make a great headliner.

I’d rather scoop my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon, than listen to a Coldplay set anywhere.

My opinion differs from yours, I don't like Coldplay, but they're a better bet for a festival than The Arctic Monkeys, just go and look at the performances of both.

To say U2 aren't a headline act is jus purple, on of the biggest acts in the world with record sales to match and you don't think they're a Glastonbury headline act, good god! I don't really like U2 but can see how good they'd be.

I do equate a headline act needing to be upbeat and popular, why else do they pick the bands they do? O course people want to see big popular bands with the songs to match and that is why I said the bands I did, including Coldplay, if not why aren't The Sisters of Mercy or The Exploited or The Lancashire Hotpots headlining?!

The Cure were a great headline act,  it so much Radiohead for me, but they were both headliners because they were popular and would sell tickets.

46 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Forgot to say…the Arctic Monkeys headline set from a few years ago was far better than last night…before Turner disappeared up his own backside.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My opinion differs from yours, I don't like Coldplay, but they're a better bet for a festival than The Arctic Monkeys, just go and look at the performances of both.

To say U2 aren't a headline act is jus purple, on of the biggest acts in the world with record sales to match and you don't think they're a Glastonbury headline act, good god! I don't really like U2 but can see how good they'd be.

I do equate a headline act needing to be upbeat and popular, why else do they pick the bands they do? O course people want to see big popular bands with the songs to match and that is why I said the bands I did, including Coldplay, if not why aren't The Sisters of Mercy or The Exploited or The Lancashire Hotpots headlining?!

The Cure were a great headline act,  it so much Radiohead for me, but they were both headliners because they were popular and would sell tickets.

When did I say U2 were not a headline act (I said they were a godawful choice from my perspective…but never once said they were not headline worthy).

Great bands like The Sisters of Mercy are not headlining because they’re not universally popular…it has nothing to do with being upbeat.

if it was down to me, I’d have chosen The Hives to headline yesterday over the Arctic Monkeys…cannot believe the BBC don’t even have a single song on iPlayer from their set.

Edited by Deviskan

Forgot to say…the Arctic Monkeys headline set from a few years ago was far better than last night…before Turner disappeared up his own backside.

Possibly, I haven't seen it, bet it wasn't as good as Coldplay!

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Time to come clean…I know it’s hard, that it’s embarrassing…but just admit you LOVE Coldplay?

1 minute ago, Deviskan said:

Time to come clean…I know it’s hard, that it’s embarrassing…but just admit you LOVE Coldplay?

Haha I love Coldplay, unreal live and many tunes are absolute anthems.

🤣 No, I really don't, I'm just not so blind to see why they'd be a good headline act at Glastonbury, like U2, Fatboy Slim or Biffy, and why they'd be MUCH better than last night's dirge.

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Agree to disagree…their 2013 was far superior to Coldplay…the more boring, beige middle of the road band in history.

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

You could almost say they'd be a great headline act at say, somewhere like Glastonbury?!

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

You might want to speak to your doctor about testosterone replacement therapy…

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

You could almost say they'd be a great headline act at say, somewhere like Glastonbury?!

Christ, both members of the Coldplay Scotland Fan Club are on here…small world!

Agree to disagree…their 2013 was far superior to Coldplay…the more boring, beige middle of the road band in history.

Many many "beige middle of the road bands in history" are also the most popular, don't shoot the messenger, and that's why they get headline gigs at Glastonbury.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Many many "beige middle of the road bands in history" are also the most popular, don't shoot the messenger, and that's why they get headline gigs at Glastonbury.

Oh I’d fully agree with that…as most people generally have no taste and prefer something inoffensive and unchallenging.

🤣 Ok, you can go and toss yourself off to your Alex Turner and Thom Yorke posters!

Just now, Deviskan said:

Oh I’d fully agree with that…as most people generally have no taste and prefer something inoffensive and unchallenging.

Which was my whole point🤦

Edited by Dawnrazor

7 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Haha I’ve been to see them at the Albert Hall, Etihad, SECC and Hampden 😂

Jeffros Furios

Pretty much all I've seen from Glastonbury is utter shite , never got the hype for bands who are terrible live .

2 hours ago, Deviskan said:

Coldplay have more headline anthems than the Arctic Monkeys? Utter nonsense…and I don’t like the Arctic 

Disregarding personal opinion on either band its clear to anyone that Coldplay have a lot more festival anthems than Arctic Monkeys. Probably double.

2 hours ago, Deviskan said:

57 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

The Killers:

Mr Brightside

Smile Like You Mean It

Somebody Told me

When You Were Young

Arctic Monkeys:

Do I Wanna Know?

Mardy Bum

When the Sun Goes Down

Brainstorm

Fluorescent Adolescent 

R U Mine?

I'd argue the Killers have just as many headline worthy songs as AM.

I'd add:

All these things that I've done

Human

Spaceman

Read my Mind

For Reasons Unknown

to match AM.

43 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

He has been up his own arse since at least 2014 when he gave that embarrassing acceptance speech.

The AM first couple of albums were good but the 2 times I seen them live around d then at TITP they were awful performances.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Disregarding personal opinion on either band its clear to anyone that Coldplay have a lot more festival anthems than Arctic Monkeys. Probably double.

I'd add:

Human

Spaceman

Read my Mind

For Reasons Unknown

to match AM.

He has been up his own arse since at least 2014 when he gave that embarrassing acceptance speech.

The AM first couple of albums were good but the 2 times I seen them live around d then at TITP they were awful performances.

The Killers could fill a day at Glasto with their best tunes, AM we had to kind of give them 2.

45 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

The Killers could fill a day at Glasto with their best tunes, AM we had to kind of give them 2.

It would be pretty much the same set as they played last time they headlined.

Have they released anything memorable since then?

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It would be pretty much the same set as they played last time they headlined.

Have they released anything memorable since then?

2 Albums

But admittedly nothing to shout home about really. 1 or 2 decent songs from each album.

3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think I agree with your general point here. Personally I'd much sooner pay money to watch the Arctic Monkeys than Coldplay, because I consider Arctic Monkeys a half decent band, whereas I'm no fan whatsoever of Coldplay. But there's no dispute that objectively Coldplay are a bigger band than the AMs - and the fact that the Arctic Monkeys were headlining Glastonbury last night was a real sign of the times IMO. Essentially they're a band who were semi-big for a fairly short period of time the best part of two decades ago.

There was something a bit tragic about the performance last night. It seemed like the audience were trying their best to humour them, when in reality it was clear that most of them probably recognised about 2 of their songs. I also think Turner's on-stage persona may work in his own head, but the reality is really quite cringey.  

22 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I think I agree with your general point here. Personally I'd much sooner pay money to watch the Arctic Monkeys than Coldplay, because I consider Arctic Monkeys a half decent band, whereas I'm no fan whatsoever of Coldplay. But there's no dispute that objectively Coldplay are a bigger band than the AMs - and the fact that the Arctic Monkeys were headlining Glastonbury last night was a real sign of the times IMO. Essentially they're a band who were semi-big for a fairly short period of time the best part of two decades ago.

You've got it.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

2 Albums

But admittedly nothing to shout home about really. 1 or 2 decent songs from each album.

👍

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Generation Sex just finished, enjoyed that. Sex Pistols and Generation X super group.

Was a decent set that. Have Glastonbury on and really enjoying . Young Fathers last night were superb (marmite for some). Texas ... Thought I would give them a couple of songs and ended up watching the full set. Foo Fighters thought were excellent. Enjoyed the Monkeys last night and Turner giving zeros which to me is fair play. Never thought I'd type this I enjoyed watching Jockstrap the day. 

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I'd add:

Human

Spaceman

Read my Mind

For Reasons Unknown

to match AM.

The fact you said earlier you were looking forward to Lewis Capaldi, means I’ve not read any of the above…as you’re taste is the polar opposite to mine.

Unless you’re a teenage girl, then I find it a bit of an odd one to look forward to.

3 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

The fact you said earlier you were looking forward to Lewis Capaldi, means I’ve not read any of the above…as you’re taste is the polar opposite to mine.

Unless you’re a teenage girl, then I find it a bit of an odd one to look forward to.

I like a wide variety of music. Just because I can appreciate Lewis Capaldi doesn't mean I can't appreciate The Who.

Also, it's rare you see someone pretending not to have read a post. That tickled me. 

Just now, hughesie27 said:

I like a wide variety of music. Just because I can appreciate Lewis Capaldi doesn't mean I can't appreciate The Who.

Also, it's rare you see someone pretending not to have read a post. That tickled me. 

Noooo, you said you were looking forward to seeing him.

Happy it tickled you, as it REALLY tickled me that a grown man was looking forward to watching Capaldi. 

Dream festival for you would be Capaldi, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, The Kooks, Scissor Sisters, and Harry Styles huh!

Just now, Deviskan said:

Noooo, you said you were looking forward to seeing him.

Happy it tickled you, as it REALLY tickled me that a grown man was looking forward to watching Capaldi. 

Dream festival for you would be Capaldi, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, The Kooks, Scissor Sisters, and Harry Styles huh!

I am looking fkrward to it. Never disputed that.

No fussed for Sheeran or Harry Styles. Scissor Sisters and Kooks were decent 15 odd years ago. 

Just now, hughesie27 said:

I am looking fkrward to it. Never disputed that.

No fussed for Sheeran or Harry Styles. Scissor Sisters and Kooks were decent 15 odd years ago. 

…and that says it all!

Christ, you probably like Maroon 5. Scouting for Girls, James Blunt and Keane too.

Sorry, ran out of mamby pamby inoffensive beige pish bands/singers to list!

Rock n Roll Hughsie!

…and that says it all!

Christ, you probably like Maroon 5. Scouting for Girls, James Blunt and Keane too.

Sorry, ran out of mamby pamby inoffensive beige pish bands/singers to list!

Rock n Roll Hughsie!

I'd file AM right alongside pretty much all of the bands/acts you've discussed. 

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I'd file AM right alongside pretty much all of the bands/acts you've discussed. 

You mean the AM’s I said were godawful?

I can see you’re as sharp as you’re musical taste huh?

Edited by Deviskan

You mean the AM’s I said were godawful?

I can see you’re as sharp as you’re musical taste huh?

Yes. Again I never disputed that 🤣

Enjoyed some of the Manics set there (Holy Bible and Generation Terrorist songs…before they went mainstream).

2 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Generation Sex just finished, enjoyed that. Sex Pistols and Generation X super group.

Was pretty good.

Sid's version of "My Way" was a great way to finish.

hmfc_liam06

I’m not a fan of AM but folk are harping back to the days of their debut album.

They haven’t been producing music like that for 14 or so year, like it or not but this is who AM are. They’ve moved on, their casual fans haven’t.

Angry Haggis

Hey Lizzo, yes you, over there.... 

Rick James wants his grooves back. 

Trust the lawyers are on the phone.