Glastonbury

Swanny17

Just now, micole said:

Right......3 songs in from the Ertic fellows and am bored.....how did this mob get to headline. The songs at best are average, the musicianship is at best average. Honestly I am trying to give them a fair go, but they are not floating my boat.

I'm with you 100%, can't wait until I watch this tomorrow with my son and tell them how ****in bang average they are, although, I think he'll realise that for himself.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

• Homme

• Malinga the Swinga

1 minute ago, micole said:

Right......3 songs in from the Ertic fellows and am bored.....how did this mob get to headline. The songs at best are average, the musicianship is at best average. Honestly I am trying to give them a fair go, but they are not floating my boat.

Have to disagree about the musicianship, they’ve become a tight band after the early shambolic but energy filled performances. Good rhythm section behind it all. 

Tbf I don't think they have ever been an excellent live band. Good tunes but never really had the same appeal live as others. Imo of course.

BBC will report them as the best in a generation. Completed the ‘hat-trick’. Amazing and unbeatable. 

TBH, a bit meh 🫤 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Have to disagree about the musicianship, they’ve become a tight band after the early shambolic but energy filled performances. Good rhythm section behind it all. 

I stand by my comment, but it's all about opinions. As I said I'm getting on a bit so maybe it's a generation thing, give me energy filled performances over boring ramblings and child like guitar solos IMO....😁

south morocco
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Sorry, their musicianship is average at best. 

south morocco
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

How the **** are they a headline act at something the size of Glastonbury 🤷

Agreed 

Just now, south morocco said:

Sorry, their musicianship is average at best. 

So what makes good musicianship in your opinion? 

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nah, their bass and drums are average at best, I've 4 or 5 bands this year with a better rythme sections then them, I just can't get the appeal🤷

The Average Monkeys are completely unimportant in the canon of music.  But you can level the same description at many other seemingly great acts.

Just now, Victorian said:

The Average Monkeys are completely unimportant in the canon of music.  But you can level the same description at many other seemingly great acts.

Who decides what the canon of music should be?

Alex Turner can write some decent songs but he should let someone else sing them. Thinks he’s smooth on stage but simply comes across as a total div.

Meantime, Young Fathers were outstanding earlier.

Had to turn it off, Alex Turner’s lounge lizard parody was grating.

Singing Brainstorm in that same crooner persona voice pushed me over the edge…

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Whatever people say I am is a n absolute belter of an album.

Seen them live twice.

The first gig was raw energy

thehibsareintheirbeds

Something just missing with the arctic monkeys- still have great songs but just no sure I can get on board with the whole crooning stuff

Seems a world away from them at their best. Still a bit intrigued mind

It’s just pish.

How they bagged headline on a Friday night at Glastonbury is beyond belief. I’d expect they are given that Eavis lassie a couple of poles to stride. 

south morocco
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

So what makes good musicianship in your opinion? 

Playing to the crowd !!!
Subjective I agree and I take it back to a degree. . Decent improvisation is a start On an occasion like this. The band are good. It’s almost like theatrical performance. Not a gig. Hope that makes sense 

I'm still with it, sadly no improvement IMO. The singer is really beginning to get on my nerves,he makes every song sound the same.....oh well I suppose they are pleasing some people....😁

They're a half decent band, but it really is a sign of the times that a band that were semi-big about 15 years ago are headlining Glastonbury.

When you look back at the headline acts over the last few years, this will go down and as a 4 / 10 at best.

5 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Playing to the crowd !!!
Subjective I agree and I take it back to a degree. . Decent improvisation is a start On an occasion like this. The band are good. It’s almost like theatrical performance. Not a gig. Hope that makes sense 

You've nailed it.

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Foo Fighters are shit

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Yep, overblown wankers.

they really aren’t.  Best live band I’ve seen and believe me I’ve seen plenty. Outstanding .

do tell me who do you both rate ?

Edited by 1971fozzy

south morocco
4 minutes ago, stirlo said:

They're a half decent band, but it really is a sign of the times that a band that were semi-big about 15 years ago are headlining Glastonbury.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Playing to the crowd !!!

Not all music suits improvisation and not many people really do it often. It just gives me the gyp when rock and metal fans get all obsessed with it being the be all and end all and dismiss other types of bands, not that I’m saying it’s where you’re coming from. If it was all down to great playing Snarky Puppy would be the biggest band in the world. 

AC Mallin_51
51 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Not a fan but my son likes them so I'm taping them (does one "tape" things these days?) and see what they're like. Some blonde bint said they were "Sheffield's Finest"!! Obviously never heard The Cosmat Angels or Cabaret Voltaire 🤷

Pulp are Sheffield’s finest 

heartsfc_fan

Preferred their old stuff.

They have got the crowd though. I'll watch them for this set.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not all music suits improvisation and not many people really do it often. It just gives me the gyp when rock and metal fans get all obsessed with it being the be all and end all and dismiss other types of bands, not that I’m saying it’s where you’re coming from. If it was all down to great playing Snarky Puppy would be the biggest band in the world. 

I'm not a rock or metal fan, I just don't think they're out of the ordinary, I certainly don't think they're a Glastonbury headliner, far too down beat and self-indulgent, they just don't have the upbeat anthems that a headliner should have.

AC Mallin_51

In terms of “their generation” I’ve always thought Kasabian are a superior band in almost every way to Arctic Monkeys. I actually really like Arctic Monkeys but I cannot believe they’re headlining Glastonbury for a 3rd time. I remember seeing them at TRNSMT in 2018 and being slightly underwhelmed. Again I thought Kasabian the year prior was miles ahead 

south morocco

Fair doos I m not arguing . I  like them. Just don’t think their performance tonight has been crowd pleasing so far . Unlike Blur, Radiohead, Killers etc

2 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Pulp are Sheffield’s finest 

Aye, good, arguably not the best though.

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

they really aren’t.  Best live band I’ve seen and believe me I’ve seen plenty. Outstanding .

do tell me who do you both rate ?

As I said earlier, FF are one of the best live bands I've seen and I'm not even too fussed about them.

AlphonseCapone

I saw the Arctic Monkeys live recently and they were much better than tonight. Don't think the laryngitis had helped. 

But having grown up with them I'm still going to say I love them and all you auld foggies can do one ♥ 

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

In terms of “their generation” I’ve always thought Kasabian are a superior band in almost every way to Arctic Monkeys. I actually really like Arctic Monkeys but I cannot believe they’re headlining Glastonbury for a 3rd time. I remember seeing them at TRNSMT in 2018 and being slightly underwhelmed. Again I thought Kasabian the year prior was miles ahead 

What's the script with Kasabian since the lead got done for domestic violence? They still going? 

south morocco
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

No worries!!

The crowd for AM are just happy clappers that the camera have picked up. Playing the ‘anthems’ now but still sounds the same shite as the first quartet of tracks. 

A costume change and a reboot of pitch might have made it more interesting but it’s still not worthy of Worthy. 🥲

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

What's the script with Kasabian since the lead got done for domestic violence? They still going? 

They're still going but all the cleaning and cooking back stage gets done quicker and to a higher standard these days.

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

I saw the Arctic Monkeys live recently and they were much better than tonight. Don't think the laryngitis had helped. 

But having grown up with them I'm still going to say I love them and all you auld foggies can do one ♥ 

Ok then I'll stick to Zeppelin, Sabbath, Free, Purple ,Stones, Beatles, Eagles, ect, as I grew up with them and all you young whippersnappers can do one....😁.

AC Mallin_51
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Serge has took over the frontman role. I feared the worst but saw them at the hydro last November and they were better than ever. They’re main support at TRNSMT on the Saturday this year and they’re headlining Kendal Calling which I’m buzzing for. Don’t think they’ll quite ever reach the status they had before but still an incredible band 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

They're still going but all the cleaning and cooking back stage gets done quicker and to a higher standard these days.

I saw Shed 7 once they were opening for Thunder, I really enjoyed them....😁

Just now, micole said:

I saw Shed 7 once they were opening for Thunder, I really enjoyed them....😁

I saw Thunder in the Venue, quite good.