Glastonbury

Swanny17

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

9.5/10 for auld Reg. 

Missed a trick by not playing Step Into Christmas. 😄

I once saw The Darkness play their Christmas song at T in the Park in baking sun in the second weekend of July!

Clearly a pisstake but a good laugh.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

• Homme

• Malinga the Swinga

All roads lead to Gorgie

Who can forget those TITP days having your view blocked by flags whilst a plastic glass full of piss was thrown over your head by some RanTic shirt wearing goon. Yes music festivals are special 😄

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

9.5/10 for auld Reg. 

Missed a trick by not playing Step Into Christmas. 😄

I didn't see the set from the beginning but at the end was wondering what he might have kept up his sleeve for an encore.

Step into Christmas is an obvious one. I didn't see Goodbye Yellow Brick Road but it may have been early in the set and the other obvious omission was Song for Guy.

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Got the Boss at Hyde Park in a couple of weeks. Last time he’d be on for 3 1/2 hours and just as he was jamming with Macca to close the show they turned the sound off dead on 10:30. Half way through a song. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Thants one thing with him - done expect him ever to start after 8pm.

I was there for the Macca shutdown one. Recollections are: (i) he was on stage much later than advertised, probably hanging out with John Fogarty as he'd watched nearly their whole set from the wings and (ii) cringing like made when Macca appeared, pleading that he wouldn't sit at the piano to do Hey Jude or Let it Be. Pleasantly surprised by the rock'n'roll set they were doing but annoyed that they'd run up against the curfew - influential neighbours in that neck of the woods.

I've managed to score a ticket for the Thursday gig. Southside Johnny's in town, gigging on the Friday night, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a jump up on stage from him.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I didn't see the set from the beginning but at the end was wondering what he might have kept up his sleeve for an encore.

Step into Christmas is an obvious one. I didn't see Goodbye Yellow Brick Road but it may have been early in the set and the other obvious omission was Song for Guy.

Yeah it was played early doors...4th or 5th song in. 

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Yeah it was played early doors...4th or 5th song in. 

I tuned in when he was introducing some young lad (Stephen Sanchez?) so have no idea how much I missed.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Capaldi has announced he’s taking a break from touring for the foreseeable future.

A lot of these artists must be wound so tight and pushed to the limit. Must be quite a manic depressive existence - the massive highs of gigs contrasting with the days when you’re knackered or low

22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Looks like Foo Fighters are headlining given the proximity of their UK tour dates.

Emily Eavis said that two headliners were booked already, both female so that would make the the last one booked. 

12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Emily Eavis said that two headliners were booked already, both female so that would make the the last one booked. 

Madonna? Taylor bleedin' Swift? Dua Lipa?!

Just finally catching the Arctic Monkeys

what’s the stooshie about? Sound okay to me.

is it cos they did some new stuff? 

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Taylor Swift seems a cert. 

Almost guaranteed as she has the Glastonbury Sunday free during her UK tour next year 

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Can see them in the Sunday afternoon legends slot.

Could be as didn't one of them say during Glastonbury that all 5 would like to play it

Malinga the Swinga

Well watched QOTSA on iPlayer. First time I have ever watched or listened to them and the lead singer reminded of a rock David Bowie. While the musicianship was top notch, the sound wasn't brilliant and I found it hard to make out what he was singing.

Crowd looked like they enjoyed it, not sure about middle aged guys jumping about in mosh pit, and that's always a good sign I guess.

Think Elton was better but each to their own.

28 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well watched QOTSA on iPlayer. First time I have ever watched or listened to them and the lead singer reminded of a rock David Bowie. While the musicianship was top notch, the sound wasn't brilliant and I found it hard to make out what he was singing.

Crowd looked like they enjoyed it, not sure about middle aged guys jumping about in mosh pit, and that's always a good sign I guess.

The band's origins date to the early 90s.  Hardly a surprise they have middle-aged fans!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Surely not Foo Fighters…again.

i know, ****ing same old, same old 

48 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Criticising a performance where you can't make out the words is OK now then? 

It was a different story the other night when it was Elton who forgot to enunciate his consonants.

leespoons-vic-reeves-1.gif

Edited by Ray Gin

All roads lead to Gorgie

I watched The War on Drugs and whilst I was aware of them I hadn't actually heard a lot of their stuff. I was impressed at the time by the mix of American heartland rock and even a hint of OMD 80s keyboards on occasions.

I've been watching more of their output on YouTube and now I am not so sure, they are more Bryan Adams with some long drawn out over sentimental tracks. Just goes to show enjoying a Glastonbury non headlining length set is not really long enough to get the full picture of a band.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Malinga the Swinga

Quite impressed with Young Fathers. Didn't know what to expect as first time I've heard/seen them but miles better than I thought they would be.

Not sure how to describe them but something very enjoyable about their performance. Their sound was bang on.

Would definitely recommend them and will follow their progress with interest.

As I work through the various bands, they're the best of the rest after Elton.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

On 27/06/2023 at 14:09, Craig_ said:

Madonna? Taylor bleedin' Swift? Dua Lipa?!

Kylie Minogue maybe 🤔 

22 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Quite impressed with Young Fathers. Didn't know what to expect as first time I've heard/seen them but miles better than I thought they would be.

Not sure how to describe them but something very enjoyable about their performance. Their sound was bang on.

Young Fathers were excellent. A blistering set. Politics the icing on the cake.

On 28/06/2023 at 21:38, Malinga the Swinga said:

Used to work with one of the guys in TYF. 

Was a gid chap.

I mind they were just starting to break through at the time. Must've been about 10-12 years ago. 

Henry. Henry.
13 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Young Fathers were excellent. A blistering set. Politics the icing on the 

They’ve always been great live but the addition of the 2 lassies and  Callum Easter(his own stuff is good too) have given them a new dimension 

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Henry. Henry. said:

They’ve always been great live but the addition of the 2 lassies and  Callum Easter(his own stuff is good too) have given them a new dimension 

Are the additions permanent or just for Glastonbury/gigs?

They seemed pretty tight knitted and would be a shame to disrupt what they have.

23 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Are the additions permanent or just for Glastonbury/gigs?

They seemed pretty tight knitted and would be a shame to disrupt what they have.

There was one woman and Callum Easter on stage a month or so ago when I saw them in Leeds.

49 minutes ago, Henry. Henry. said:

Is Callum the guitarist? Wish I'd caught them at Leith Theatre a couple of years ago.

33 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Is Callum the guitarist? Wish I'd caught them at Leith Theatre a couple of years ago.

Was a great gig. They didn't have the backing singers then. Some sound they put out though, was a bit concerned about the masonry!

47 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Was a great gig. They didn't have the backing singers then. Some sound they put out though, was a bit concerned about the masonry!

It was the PA that the festival had put in for all the other bands. Young Fathers asked for the amount of sub bass to be doubled. And bits of plaster did actually fall off in a few places. 

On 28/06/2023 at 08:14, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I watched The War on Drugs and whilst I was aware of them I hadn't actually heard a lot of their stuff. I was impressed at the time by the mix of American heartland rock and even a hint of OMD 80s keyboards on occasions.

I've been watching more of their output on YouTube and now I am not so sure, they are more Bryan Adams with some long drawn out over sentimental tracks. Just goes to show enjoying a Glastonbury non headlining length set is not really long enough to get the full picture of a band.

That's strange. I watched them at Glastonbury and like you thought they're great, who are they, and on further investigation I decided they sounded pish.

I had consumed an edible gummy tbh.

All roads lead to Gorgie
16 minutes ago, pablo said:

That's strange. I watched them at Glastonbury and like you thought they're great, who are they, and on further investigation I decided they sounded pish.

I had consumed an edible gummy tbh.

It's amazing how a bit of edible enhancement can change how music sounds right enough. I can only blame the beer on this occasion unfortunately. 😄

Carl Fredrickson

Very late to the party. Sitting watching the Elton John set on Iplayer and it is amazing. 

My two kids (13 & 7) are loving it too. 

A tremendous back catalogue, a great band and for me, a lot of memories wrapped up in some of the songs. 

Tiny Dancer brought a tear to my eye.

On 27/06/2023 at 15:39, Sooperstar said:

Taylor Swift seems a cert. 

not anymore as she is playing dublin on the three main days of glastonbury. @Ulysses more uk dates have been added to her tour

Sooperstar
8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

not anymore as she is playing dublin on the three main days of glastonbury. @Ulysses more uk dates have been added to her tour

Craig has ruined it for everyone. 

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I've no idea why you even think I might be interested in that bit of information. :whistling: 

Eras email notice.jpg