All aboard the Naisy train - poll!!

Ricardo Quaresma

Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?  

1,085 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?

Central Belt 1874
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Naismith has won me round with his tactics, with his down to earth interviews and saying the right things. His punting of players not fully focused on the job and general overall managerial display since he took over. Having a wee word in Johnson’s ear that lead to a stramash between two bitter rivals is not going to change my mind on that.

I find it very odd that anyone would have it as a deciding factor either way. And likely they were already in the not Naismith camp to begin with if they do.

Saying the rights things means little to me. Levein and Neilson were great at saying all the right things over the years that us supporters wanted to hear. 

And then Saturday came and it was a complete shitshow. 

We need more than words. 

I'm intrigued by Naismith. I'm intrigued to see what sort of player he would go for. Especially midfielders. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Ricardo Quaresma

• kingantti1874

Go for it 1308
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

What's the budget and who's applied?

Apologies  mate ...my post should have read...who would YOU rather have as a manager (that's better)  within our financial reach  as opposed to Naismith....

Buster HMFC
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Like him, could be good. But I just don't know anymore. Someone with experience could be absolutely hopeless and if the players turn on them, they fecked. 

If he gets it, good luck, if he doesn't I hope he stays on.

This is where I am. Hope he stays regardless if he gets the job or not. Should he get it. Yes if we can't get anyone that's a wow appointment 

Go for it 1308
3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

This would sum it up for me.  There are better options out there.  The question is whether or not they're available.

Who?

Buster HMFC
8 minutes ago, Arry said:

Big  CH and a Colin Cameron type … forwards are just fine.  If Gino moves on then so be it. Captain fantastic up top with Boycie #10 more than enough for 3rd place.

Got a feeling we could lose Shankland. He's been too good this season. Overall play has been immense.

Go for it 1308
8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Don’t worry. The whole ‘if you don’t want a B team coach with zero credentials and about three games at first team level then you have to name a different candidate’ patter is the sort of shite the fanboys on here are famed for.

Well, what's the point of debating then if you cannot come up with a suitable candidate  if you're unsure about Naismith?

1 hour ago, Diego10 said:

I am on the fence, leaning towards him getting it.  It is a gamble to some extent, but literally anyone we appoint will be because in the market we are in we're not getting anyone else.

The big worry for me with inexperienced managers is how they react in adversity.  But everything he says and how he explains his decisions and how he's seen the game gives me confidence he'd be ok. 

That said, i don't know what our options are and you'd like to think we have been looking seriously at others.  There's the makings of a very good manager in there but maybe it's too early

Good post.

Lets not forget he played at a high level under some very good coaches and he is a winner.

Buster HMFC
1 minute ago, brux said:

Naisy has the job, surely 

Depends who we attract for the job. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Well, what's the point of debating then if you cannot come up with a suitable candidate  if you're unsure about Naismith?

I’ll answer that if you can tell me 

a) what we’re offering in salary

b) what we’re offering in terms of players budget

c) what the club are setting as targets for the next coach

otherwise, how on earth do any of us know who is feasible?

For instance, I’d take Wilder

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Saying the rights things means little to me. Levein and Neilson were great at saying all the right things over the years that us supporters wanted to hear. 

And then Saturday came and it was a complete shitshow. 

We need more than words. 

I'm intrigued by Naismith. I'm intrigued to see what sort of player he would go for. Especially midfielders. 

Levein had the odd funny quip, but overall I can’t agree with that. Neilson never said what the fans wanted the hear. You can tell when someone in being genuine or not, and that’s what I like about Naismith. I like how he contemplates each answer and even stops himself during an answer to make sure he’s saying the right thing.

It’s not the be all and end all by any means, but neither is a touchline stramash. Which was my original point.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

That's pretty mental mate, surely being unsure about Naismith is valid with or without an in depth knowledge of managers who are currently available, willing and affordable.

tiger Rudi

I don't think Naismith is the kind of manager that will stick with his favourites, no matter how badly they are playing. He took a brave call today taking McKay off. He probably regrets taking Oda off against Celtic. Sibbick was quite rightly dropped after the Rangers game. Add that to the fact we have seen a huge improvement in performance from the likes of Atkinson and Hill. He brought Oda in from the cold and the lad is flying. He chose Haring over Kio and Grant. A few more games and I think he would have got a tune out of Kuol too. He knows the squads strengths and weaknesses. Im sure he's already looking to strengthen after witnessing our defence struggle to deal with every long punt and with every cross into our box all season. I'm behind him. Hope this gets finalised soon and looking forward to seeing the kind of player he targets. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Levein had the odd funny quip, but overall I can’t agree with that. Neilson never said what the fans wanted the hear. You can tell when someone in being genuine or not, and that’s what I like about Naismith. I like how he contemplates each answer and even stops himself during an answer to make sure he’s saying the right thing.

It’s not the be all and end all by any means, but neither is a touchline stramash. Which was my original point.

This is absolutely correct; he just speaks truth as he sees it; no spin or bullshit

Buster HMFC
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yep budget will decide the quality of coach we get. 

kingantti1874

I wonder if a small pocket or Barcelona fans were disappointed when Pep took over the reigns after 1 year managing the B team 🤷‍♂️

Edited by kingantti1874

Go for it 1308
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Well, I can't answer those questions  as I don't know, that's for the club to supply us with these answers. I just don't get the anti Naismith view on here. I just get the feeling that he is a winner. I also get the feeling that we might have finally found a guy that knows how to play against the arse cheeks without fear, shock or awe. 

BackOfTheNet

Out of the thousands of managers in the world, there will be many who could come in on our budget and take us to at least 3rd next season I’m sure. Problem is locating them. If we can’t do that, then I have zero problem with Naismith continuing with what he’s started.

Go for it 1308
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's pretty mental mate, surely being unsure about Naismith is valid with or without an in depth knowledge of managers who are currently available, willing and affordable.

Totally  agree mate...see my reply just now

indianajones

Voted yes. I absolutely hated Naismith before he came to Hearts. One of those guys you hate when he's not on your side. Exactly what we need imo. Also well respected in the footballing world. 

Give him a window with Savage and see what he comes up with. 

10 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Why surely?

Because we have massively improved since he has taken over.

Would you disagree?

Not for me. All about experience as well as drive/passion. I think he should stay as assistant and aim to get someone in with whom he could work.

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

I don't think Naismith is the kind of manager that will stick with his favourites, no matter how badly they are playing. He took a brave call today taking McKay off. He probably regrets taking Oda off against Celtic. Sibbick was quite rightly dropped after the Rangers game. Add that to the fact we have seen a huge improvement in performance from the likes of Atkinson and Hill. He brought Oda in from the cold and the lad is flying. He chose Haring over Kio and Grant. A few more games and I think he would have got a tune out of Kuol too. He knows the squads strengths and weaknesses. Im sure he's already looking to strengthen after witnessing our defence struggle to deal with every long punt and with every cross into our box all season. I'm behind him. Hope this gets finalised soon and looking forward to seeing the kind of player he targets. 

He also called out Sibbick’s character for praise after the game today saying other players may have not approached the game coming in cold confidently after making a mistake but dealt with it well. Man management seems to be there too. I’d rather him nurture these qualities into something special with us than elsewhere. Might not work out, but we can say that about almost every managerial appointment we’ve ever had bar a select few.

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I wonder if a small pocket or Barcelona fans were disappointed when Pep took over the reigns after 1 year managing the B team 🤷‍♂️

I believe they were looking for a Daniel Stendel type of manager but they had to settle for Pep.

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Voted yes. I absolutely hated Naismith before he came to Hearts. One of those guys you hate when he's not on your side. Exactly what we need imo. Also well respected in the footballing world. 

Give him a window with Savage and see what he comes up with. 

This is key too, I’d like to see how he works with the recruitment team In identifying targets etc.

15 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Who?

12 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Weird, but just to make the point.  There are literally hundreds of professional managers and coaches in the United Kingdom alone who are capable of piloting a squad in or about 3rd place in the Scottish Premiership.

Of course a few dozen are unaffordable and many others are unavailable.  But the notion that you should just be in favour of one person unless you name an alternative is a bit, let's just say, limiting.

If I were headhunting, I'd probably be looking at gaffers in England's League One and Two, but that probably reflects my prejudices,

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Well, I can't answer those questions  as I don't know, that's for the club to supply us with these answers. I just don't get the anti Naismith view on here. I just get the feeling that he is a winner. I also get the feeling that we might have finally found a guy that knows how to play against the arse cheeks without fear, shock or awe. 

It’s not anti Naismith. It’s the suggestion that in the entire world of football there might be an alternative which is better.

I know it’s unlikely given his track record, but still. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

:rofl:

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You're 100% right.  If we don't appoint Naismith we'll be kicking ourselves in fury when he wins the Champions League next season with [insert club name here].

Agentjambo
3 minutes ago, brux said:

Because we have massively improved since he has taken over.

Would you disagree?

Yes,we haven’t massively improved.

We are passing forward more and he speaks well in front of the media,two things Neilson couldn’t.Hardly enough to think he’s going to take us forward,the results suggest that.

I’m on the no side but would get on board and need to be careful. Annual rolling contract. Proper back room staff

10 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

What anti-Naismith view?

Armageddon

Gordon returning
Halkett returning

Beni returning

Boyce returning

Thats some spine 👏🏼

Polonia Gorgie

I haven't voted as I'm totally 50/50 on this, I'm really quite intrigued by Naismith's approach to the game. When it comes to experience in the game he has that in abundance, he's played with and against the best. Been in dressing rooms with great managers and coaches etc. But he's still cutting his teeth in management that's why he's the B team coach. We were told the type of Manager we were going to get when Neilson got sacked and I really wanna see if the board are true to their word. We as fans could be letting them off lightly and cheaply by appointing Naismith. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

You're 100% right.  If we don't appoint Naismith we'll be kicking ourselves in fury when he wins the Champions League next season with [insert club name here].

Yeah naisy is not pep, but we aren’t Barcelona are we.

some of you want someone else from outside the club well “just because “ 

my point stands.  Everyone starts somewhere 

Edited by kingantti1874

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yeah naisy was sent pep, but we aren’t Barcelona are we. Comparison was spot on.  

You seem to have a massive hard-on for ‘Naisy’. It’s a bit weird tbh

kingantti1874

Imagine if this place had been when we appointed Alex Macdonald and Sandy Jardine as joint player managers 🤷‍♂️😂

or when we appointed JJ from “Falkirk” I can imagine it now..

”the whole world out there and the best we could do is a guy from Falkirk” 😡😡😡

😂

Edited by kingantti1874

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

no idea what this means 

Is that it?  Everyone starts somewhere, so let's appoint the man who got us 9 points from a possible 21 and 1 point from 6 against Hibs?

tiger Rudi
3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Gordon returning
Halkett returning

Beni returning

Boyce returning

Thats some spine 👏🏼

I hope Hill is added to that list too. He's had a few dodgy games but has really shone latterly. He's only 21 and has more aerial ability and strength than either Sibbick or Rowles. Played in his natural CB position, him and Halks could be quite a formidable pairing. Would have no issues with him coming back. 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

no idea what this means 

P.S. more than 80% think you're right, so of course I must be talking bollox, so whatever you do, don't be worried.

Buster HMFC
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

What anti-Naismith view?

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yeah naisy was sent pep, but we aren’t Barcelona are we. Comparison was spot on.  

I'll take the best coach who would come to us "just because" that's what we should be aiming for. If it's Naismith next season I won't be disappointed either.

SectionDJambo

Naismith has already started to turn us, as a club, into not taking any crap from a bunch of thugs like Hibs.

He’s smart, tactically aware and knows what it is to be a Hearts man. 
No more nice club Hearts. It’s getting us nowhere with the SFA, Media or other Scottish clubs. We should have taken this hostile attitude when they almost all demoted us during a worldwide pandemic.

Thunder and Lightning

Voted yes but would ideally still like him to work with somone with more experience. 

That said I won't be unhappy if he is appointed. 

If we are doing so, do it on Monday and let's get looking to sign players right away. 

7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Steven MacLean?

Volatile techno area with these two. Bring it on.....

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Imagine if this place had been when we appointed Alex Macdonald and Sandy Jardine as joint player managers 🤷‍♂️😂

or when we appointed JJ from “Falkirk” I can imagine it now..

”the whole world out there and the best we could do is a guy from Falkirk” 😡😡😡

😂

McDonald was player manager and signed Jardine. It was later they would become joint managers.

Always said I’d wait until the end of the season to give m opinion.

It’s not been plain sailing but his drive and the way he’s set the team up dependent on circumstances is a testament to him.

Naismith In. For me 🥳 

• davemclaren locked this topic