All aboard the Naisy train - poll!!

Ricardo Quaresma

Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?  

1,085 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?

15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

There is a problem with the character of the squad. Same as not turning round that bad run more quickly. Naismith should sort that out with more time and a few of his own signings.

Personally that was down to Neilson. Give SN a season with his own signings and see how we get on.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Ricardo Quaresma

• kingantti1874

Go for it 1308
5 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

The decision will have been made either way. There will have been a HMFC board meeting after the match. They won’t leave Naismith hanging on for a decision. When he first came to the club I always thought he would be a potential manager. I hope he gets the job. 

So do I mate...I've got a really good feeling about him. He's a winner 🏆 

Neverforgetfiveone

I have a feeling that it might not come down to Naismith individually but also Savage and the relationship between them both.

I will state here that I would like Naismith to be the next manager.

However, Naismith is a seasoned footballing professional, he played at the top level and has played under good managers and strong characters. He, himself is a strong character.

This leads me to thinking that Savage might not be comfortable with that. He might want a more inexperienced coach who he can control. I get the feeling that Naismith wouldn’t take any S**t from Savage and would tell him and make him accountable for S**t recruitment. Naismith would undoubtedly have the fans on his side, something that Neilson couldn’t say he had, which probably benefited Savage…. 

I think Naismith could hang Savage out to dry…. 

Just now, Neverforgetfiveone said:

This leads me to thinking that Savage might not be comfortable with that. He might want a more inexperienced coach who he can control. I get the feeling that Naismith wouldn’t take any S**t from Savage and would tell him and make him accountable for S**t recruitment. Naismith would undoubtedly have the fans on his side, something that Neilson couldn’t say he had, which probably benefited Savage…. 

The whole fetish recently for hating Savage would be far more enjoyable if those involved could make up a half decent story.

Neverforgetfiveone
7 minutes ago, WageThief said:

The whole fetish recently for hating Savage would be far more enjoyable if those involved could make up a half decent story.

It’s not about hating Savage, I think he’s done a reasonable job. It’s about working relationships. I think Neilson and Savage were on a par, I think Naismith will have his own ideas of what he wants done. Whether that fits in with Savages thinking is yet to be seen. Naismith doesn’t even have the job yet. That may be a factor in getting the job.

David McCaig
33 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

I have a feeling that it might not come down to Naismith individually but also Savage and the relationship between them both.

However, Naismith is a seasoned footballing professional, he played at the top level and has played under good managers and strong characters. He, himself is a strong character.

I would see this as Naismith holding Savage to account rather than hanging him out to dry.

Something has clearly gone horribly wrong with our recruitment over the last two windows and we need a Manager who is much clearer about what we players he needs and the standard of players he is prepared to expect. Ideally, we need a Manager with his own networks of scouts and contacts.

Ron Burgundy

It’s a real problem for the board. 
Give Naismith the job and if it doesn’t work out then they’ll be accused of taking the easy option. 
Don’t give him it and it doesn’t work out they’ll be accused of overlooking a perfectly good candidate. 
Personally I’d give him next season. 

8 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

It’s not about hating Savage, I think he’s done a reasonable job. It’s about working relationships. I think Neilson and Savage were on a par, I think Naismith will have his own ideas of what he wants done. Whether that fits in with Savages thinking is yet to be seen. Naismith doesn’t even have the job yet. That may be a factor in getting the job.

Fair enough.  It's very hard to judge Savage (or the recruitment team) as an outsider I think.  Like how Oda looked quite shite until Naismith took over or whether recruitment really had any involvement in finding Halliday, McKay, Gordon, Shankland, Forrest, etc.  Recruitment wasn't as good this season as it was last season, that's obvious, but it's not entirely obvious whose fault it is.  E.g. the centre back situation.  I have no idea whether Neilson or Savage (or both) thought we didn't need a Halkett type, or whether something fell through last minute and they were left holding bags.

I am not sure why Savage would want "control" over an inexperienced coach.  At least with these types of stories around Levein, it'd make some sense that an inexperienced coach would listen (to the ex Scotland boss).  If I was Savage I'd rather get a very experienced coach who'd identify loads of good signings, like Big Fat Ange, the greatest coach to have graced our shores.  Then Savage could just sit back and source cigars rather than players.

Naismith will certainly have his own ideas but I don't think it really matters much to the recruitment team.  If Naismith wants a GK who is a pure shot stopper and doesn't give a shit about playing out from the back, it's not the recruitment teams job to disagree.  Like a lot of things in modern football, it's really just something old (scouts) with a laptop and new terminology.

40 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Ultimately its about an upgrade on signings from Forrest and Grant. These were Neilson's main summer signings to improve side. Savage takes some responsibility but there were manager's decision.

But the encouraging signs were the team changes especially immediately ditching Snodgrass and bringing Oda in. 

The Old Tolbooth

One year rolling contract to see where it goes, I think we’d be mad not to 

id give it to naismith unless there is someone outstanding who wants the job (that is not in the public domain) yet. Albeit i’d give him a 12 month deal maybe a 12 month rolling contract at best. I would not give him 3-4 year deal at this stage. 

Edited by Djm1874

I wouldn't be disappointed if Naismith got the job but I'd prefer a more experienced manager. We're doing well off the pitch, we've invested in the stadium and in the squad, I want us to invest in a manager that can take us to the next level.

*Edited to add that I'd want to keep Naismith on as an assistant or coach to the first team, he'd be wasted going back to the B team.

Edited by B4 Part B

I think criticism of Savage is understandable in that the players added this season haven't improved the team and he's responsible for identifying players.  That said, Naismith has made 3 players most folk had written off in Oda, Hill and Atkinson look an absolute mile better in a short space of time, so there's at least decent evidence that Neilson failed badly to get the most out of the squad and played favourites.

It's a massive close season for the DoF and coaching staff, which we need to get right.  

Would take Naismith, it is still early days but already we see a better team spirit, we are getting the ball forward rather than pushing it about among defenders, we are competing all over the pitch and doing things quicker meaning fitness levels will be better, our fans are back on board. We have all been asking for a change in the coaching model. Other names mentioned with their assistants would reduce next seasons budget and are experimental IMO. I do not see supposed problems working with Savage and the players that come in and those leaving are going to be just as vital. If he does not get the nod It is very likely Naismith will be offered a management job at a championship club, even at promoted Dundee if that is still available. 2 year deal and lets crack on with recruitment, theres a lot of work to do.

Captain Canada

I'm still in two minds. I think he's done a great job in the short time he's had, but his lack of experience is a slight cause for concern. 

Of course, experience doesn't always translate into great results. If we don't offer him the job, he'll be off. I don't see him being an assistant or going back to the B team. 

All these top  emerging coaches in England and rest of Europe who are coming through are young and have very little experience of being a manager they have demonstrated they have the credentials for a job and got it then proved themselves.

why is Naismith any different he is a winner used to playing at an elite level coaching with the national team and he has a nasty streetwise take no shit We are Hearts mindset that we won’t get from many other candidates.

1 minute ago, Captain Canada said:

I'm still in two minds. I think he's done a great job in the short time he's had, but his lack of experience is a slight cause for concern. 

Of course, experience doesn't always translate into great results. If we don't offer him the job, he'll be off. I don't see him being an assistant or going back to the B team. 

That’s the thing about the experience chat, means nothing really and offers nothing in terms of risks or guarantees for me. SN seems to get us, wants to play attacking football, appears tactically sound and been coached/managed by some top people. I’ll take that over any experience to be honest. 

Captain Canada
Just now, Dazo said:

That’s the thing about the experience chat, means nothing really and offers nothing in terms of risks or guarantees for me. SN seems to get us, wants to play attacking football, appears tactically sound and been coached/managed by some top people. I’ll take that over any experience to be honest. 

I guess if we don't take a chance on him, another team will and it could come back to bite us.

My main concern would be in terms of recruitment as it's not something he's had to do previously. The style of play he's introduced is brilliant and he had a winning mentality as a player. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I guess if we don't take a chance on him, another team will and it could come back to bite us.

My main concern would be in terms of recruitment as it's not something he's had to do previously. The style of play he's introduced is brilliant and he had a winning mentality as a player. 

You’ve got to think with all the help he has with the recruitment department that it won’t be as hard. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Fully expecting an announcement tomorrow 

Naismith certainly cranking the pressure handle a little.

Probably because shorter close season due to earlier euro round and recruitment, pre season and player retention needing to start yesterday.

I dont think we will be waiting more than a fortnight.

David McCaig
26 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

I think criticism of Savage is understandable in that the players added this season haven't improved the team and he's responsible for identifying players.  That said, Naismith has made 3 players most folk had written off in Oda, Hill and Atkinson look an absolute mile better in a short space of time, so there's at least decent evidence that Neilson failed badly to get the most out of the squad and played favourites.

It's a massive close season for the DoF and coaching staff, which we need to get right.  

We got a £5m European windfall and somehow managed to downgrade the squad in pretty much every position.

The exception to this is Shankland who has been an unadulterated success, but he is clearly a Robbie signing given he signed him previously at Dundee United.

Something is badly wrong in our scouting system where we are relying on Wyscout rather than our own eyes. How can a geek on his laptop in a bedroom in Southampton be responsible for identifying players suited to the craziness of the SPL?

Any computer saying that Kio is better than Haring needs it’s hard drive scrubbed.

Toxteth O'Grady

He has shown a lot of good characteristics and has made a difference to how the players approach the game.

im not convinced though that he has the presence and respect of the board up be able to demand who is recruited. 

I’m a bit 51/49 in favour of somebody else 

AlphonseCapone

The rational part of me thinks we should be going for someone with much more experience, albeit I know that's easier said than done in terms of quality versus what we can attract. 

But there's a big part of me that sees something in Naismith that thinks he could end up being a top manager and wants to give him the chance. No doubt being influenced by the fight and standards we've seen him demand as a player but also by the change in the team recently. There really isn't a lot empirically beyond some glimpses during his short reign so far and yet I feel it could work out very well. 

My biggest fear is loads felt like that about Cathro (I didn't evidently) and we saw how that worked out. 

I could probably get behind a 12 month contract initially. I'm desperate to avoid the Scottish merry go round. And despite what I've said about Cathro's appointment, I don't think we should let that experience prevent us being brave and taking gambles in the future. We'll never ever break the mould in Scotland if we simply do what everyone else does. 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

The rational part of me thinks we should be going for someone with much more experience, albeit I know that's easier said than done in terms of quality versus what we can attract. 

But there's a big part of me that sees something in Naismith that thinks he could end up being a top manager and wants to give him the chance. No doubt being influenced by the fight and standards we've seen him demand as a player but also by the change in the team recently. There really isn't a lot empirically beyond some glimpses during his short reign so far and yet I feel it could work out very well. 

My biggest fear is loads felt like that about Cathro (I didn't evidently) and we saw how that worked out. 

I could probably get behind a 12 month contract initially. I'm desperate to avoid the Scottish merry go round. And despite what I've said about Cathro's appointment, I don't think we should let that experience prevent us being brave and taking gambles in the future. We'll never ever break the mould in Scotland if we simply do what everyone else does. 

Would agree, I think the Cathro comparisons are fair but the difference is that Naismith has a presence about him. He's played at a high level, is an international and just on that basis will have the respect and attention of the players. He's actually been in the hot seat now too, so we've had a trial run, so has had a chance to prove all of that. 

Of course going to be a risk, but then every appointment is. In the context of the trial run he's had. I think we have mitigated that risk in knowing what he can do.

If we had brought in 'experienced' manager to replace Robbie Neilson, and they had got the same results as Naismith, many would  have been praising him for stopping the rot.  We've seen ex players start off their management career with lower league clubs 'to get experience' and do a good job, then when they make the step up they fail, Paul Hartley is a prime example. 

I think Naismith would be a shout for the job. When Cochrane was sent off yesterday,  everyone was waiting to see how he would cope with the pressure , and what tactics he would employ to get us over the line. IMO he got the tactics spot on and it looked like the players were happy to dig deep and do all the hard work required for him. 

From what I've seen, I'd be happy for him to be given the job.

Bungalow Bill

Naismith was always going to be Hearts manager, he was part of the succession plan. It’s just come earlier than expected. I’d give him the job. 

Naismith has gained a good bit of tactical knowledge from working with the National side, that's clear to see. His teams will always try to play on the front foot and we'll score a shit load of goals.

Giving Naismith the job would be quite an exciting appointment imo. 

Big summer ahead for the board. Give Naismith the job and back him with the right players and we will do well.

Unknown user
8 hours ago, onwards and upwards said:

Not sure if mentioned before but what about big Dunc in? I think him and Naisy would be a great partnership.

Just a thought. HHGH.

I've said before I'd love to see big Dunc at Tynecastle, a force of nature that lad

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ultimately its about an upgrade on signings from Forrest and Grant. These were Neilson's main summer signings to improve side. Savage takes some responsibility but there were manager's decision.

But the encouraging signs were the team changes especially immediately ditching Snodgrass and bringing Oda in. 

Wasn't Shankland moderately successful?

Spellczech

Still unsure if the squad looked at Aberdeen's squad getting their manager changed and decided they would do the same...This squad should have had third but it is down to them and I'd be quite content to lose a few for this failing.

As far as managers go, Naismith appeared to get them playing again, and with a better balance, and I cannot think of anyone whom we could get who would be less of a gamble or more of a fit...

Jambo in Bathgate
2 hours ago, WageThief said:

Think some posters are overworking this DOF thing. The Job of DOF is to oversee all the minutia of scouting for players, the overseeing of the things that make a club run in a footballing sense. This takes a load of a first team manager who reports directly to the CEO. Also First Team manager has final say on scouted players. 

Edited by Jambo in Bathgate
Change wording

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

1 point out of 6 against hibs and 80% of the hearts fans want him as manager - he must be doing something right

or it’s his firey attitude and rangers background 🙀

Spellczech
5 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Naismith has gained a good bit of tactical knowledge from working with the National side, that's clear to see. His teams will always try to play on the front foot and we'll score a shit load of goals.

Giving Naismith the job would be quite an exciting appointment imo. 

Big summer ahead for the board. Give Naismith the job and back him with the right players and we will do well.

I often think there is a pattern with players who move into management:

Very few GKs do it

Defenders tend to be defensive, results-orientated and eventually a bit dull

Strikers tend to be overly-attacking, and don't last long in any job as they get some great wins and performances but also some big defeats and no consistency.

Midfielders should be your best managers, providing a balance, but they often tend to provide a mixed bag and will perform well at one club, get a move and then be a disaster and get sacked.

Naismith played as a striker and midfielder and I think that should stand him in good stead. He's got a brain in his head and appears to be a good communicator.

People will say he’s a bit volatile and confrontational, but let him learn on the job, let him fine tune that aspect of his representation of the club….from the footage I saw, he played Johnson like a fiddle yesterday almost in a instant.  

Too streetwise for him.

He’s got leadership qualities we’ve missed for some time.  

Spellczech
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Experience can very easily become stubbornness, arrogance, and set in your ways. It is possible to have too much experience...Levein had too much.

I'd like to see Naismith given a chance.  There's been a far more positive approach from the team since he's been in charge and I can see things getting even better with a few new signings and more time to work with the players.

Spellczech
2 minutes ago, JayTeeJnr said:

I'd like to see Naismith given a chance.  There's been a far more positive approach from the team since he's been in charge and I can see things getting even better with a few new signings and more time to work with the players.

We'd all be a bit miffed, if like Jack Ross, he ended up getting his chance elsewhere instead.

Yes there was a lot of rumour and gossip about Ross, but when he was doing well at St Mirren, there was also a strong subtext of "what could've been"...

i wish jj was my dad
9 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

1 point out of 6 against hibs and 80% of the hearts fans want him as manager - he must be doing something right

Bollocks. You are at the wind up and not funny at all.

The boy has turned around an oil tanker and has winner right through him. That's what folk like. 

Konrad von Carstein

I'm late to this conversation, but my tuppence worth is that he should get the job.

For those stating, quite reasonably, that his stats aren't all that, we should remember how shorn of confidence the team were when he stepped in.

You don't restore that in a couple of days, I would be confident of us improving greatly under his management.

13 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

🤣🤣🤣  aye ok 

Spellczech
17 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Think some posters are overworking this DOF thing. The Job of DOF is to oversee all the minutia of scouting for players, the overseeing of the things that make a club run in a footballing sense. This takes a load of a first team manager who reports directly to the CEO. Also First Team manager has final say on scouted players. 

Does need to be someone who can work closely with the Team Manager/Head Coach though. I think if I ran a football club I'd put the roles side by side rather than have the DOF senior to the Head Coach.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

As is Naisy.

but less because he is here and the players are responding to him. Yesterday they ran their balls off and were gutsy as ****

its not no risk, but it’s less risk

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

yes! Early leader in the moronic post of the day awards!!

tell me, do you think by posting this people will actually buy into what you are saying 😂 

hearts fans are a puzzle, don’t get what you want and try and tear down everyone else.  Supporters my hole 

7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Experience can very easily become stubbornness, arrogance, and set in your ways. It is possible to have too much experience...Levein had too much.

Absolutely. Just seems to be a buzzword chucked about by people who just don’t fancy SN.

Hearts1975
2 hours ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Interesting that you say that and you may be right. I just have a contrasting view that Savage will like Naisy in the sense of his mentality and how he views the game and the type of culture around the club he wants to create 

Say what you want about savage but his ballsy statements and somewhat gallus nature is probably very similar to Naisy and I also reckon that if Savage has a lot to do with the next manager appointment, and he didn't rate Naisy, Naisy wouldn't have got the interim appointment in the first place 

Assuming that savage has that much of a direct influence over the manager position which is what you are suggesting 

50 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This is pretty much exactly where I'm at. Naismith was a very intelligent footballer and some of the things he's said have given me the feeling he really understands the psychology of professional footballers and how to get them playing to their best. 

I know some posters on here have pointed to the results in his 7 games in charge, but the results don't tell half the story. IMO the wins against Ross County and Aberdeen were our best performances of the season - in the 2-1 win last week we actually played considerably better than we did in the 5-0 win earlier in the season. In yesterday's game Rowles and Cochrane produce two inexplicable errors that led to the red that no manager can legislate for - but he still got the result we needed.

One other thing I've noticed about Naismith is that for all his competitive edge he's more in control than I anticipated. His reaction during the incident at the end of the game yesterday and his subsequent comments about already being on a yellow were interesting. I also found it very interesting that after the Celtic game he didn't make a big-deal of the sending off. I suspect his thinking was that for all it was a terrible decision, Cochrane shouldn't have let the attacker get the wrong side of him in the first place. That speaks to me of a winner's mentality.

I just get the feeling Naismith has the makings of a very good manager - and that NOT appointing him could turn out to be something we would really come to regret.    

• davemclaren locked this topic