*** Aberdeen v Heart Of Midlothian Official Match Thread ***

Masonic

12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yes me too.  I like Grant.  He finds we pockets, is happy to run beyond and he always tries to be positive and inventive.  Him, Snods and Devlin is a good mix imo.  Perhaps missing a little muscle but all 3 also get stuck in

👍🏻

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Luckies1874

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Would fit better if we go to Paisley and Govan, the other three at home giving us 19 home and away. 

That’s what it will be.  If Livi make 6th we will go there a third time.  That’s the way it’s been done in the past. 

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Most teams tend to attack more at their home ground so do we need to set up to draw them out when we are the away team?.

Of course, but we do and It doesn’t work as well away from 

home when they do attack more, we dont get the results we do at home. 

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Not to sound pedantic, but if you have a 3-4-3 that features the wingbacks, yes, this is true. The 3-4-3 we play does not. The main feature of it is having ball-playing CHs that step forward into midfield when given the chance.

Folk are mapping a 3-4-3 they've seen at the EPL level onto our team and scratching their heads why it doesn't fit. It doesn't fit because we're not playing that way. Our wingbacks are effectively just wide midfielders given the same basic attacking responsibilities as fullbacks.

I repeat, we have outscored non-OF opponents 21-4 in 2023, what about it isn't working? And why, when we went to a back 4 on Saturday, did we look so much worse, if we fit so much better in it?

Well that's moving the goalposts if there ever was. Spurs aren't  a top team, they're just performing above their normal level. Bayern are a top team, but we'll ignore that because that's their level. Sevilla have done this recently so it doesn't count. FFS.

The assertions were that no one is playing it, no one in La Liga is playing it, and no top teams are playing it. You can rationalize the incorrectness of those statements all you want, they're still false.

Spurs are not a top team, successful was the term you used. Bayern have won everything with a back four recently and predominantly use that,  Sevilla haven’t won anything with a back 3 having only used it recently. 
As I asked you what top teams use that system and are successful, your words not mine? PSG have used that recently too for a short period. 
As you dont know, Chelsea/Roma/Unter are the only teams who fit those requirements in the last two years. 
Top teams who are successful dont play the system, probably over 90% use 4 at the back. 

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s what it will be.  If Livi make 6th we will go there a third time.  That’s the way it’s been done in the past. 

Hopefully, going back there again isn't exactly a mouth watering prospect. 

Watt-Zeefuik
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spurs are not a top team, successful was the term you used. Bayern have won everything with a back four recently and predominantly use that,  Sevilla haven’t won anything with a back 3 having only used it recently. 
As I asked you what top teams use that system and are successful, your words not mine? PSG have used that recently too for a short period. 
As you dont know, Chelsea/Roma/Unter are the only teams who fit those requirements in the last two years. 
Top teams who are successful dont play the system, probably over 90% use 4 at the back. 

Sorry, but you can't argue that top teams don't use the system when you know that Bayern uses the system at least some of the time. Spurs are having success with it right now, 4th in the EPL is success for them no matter how you want to wish it away.

Just ****ing say you don't like the system and stop making up shit to justify it, it's fine.

Watt-Zeefuik

To try to post something that doesn't require me arguing that up is not in fact down, this game is a huge test for us. Even with our injuries, I think we have enough form right now to get a win, possibly a convincing one. A lot of it will come down not to tactics but to getting the heads back up from two defeats to Celtic.

As I really enjoy watching our current team play, I'm rather looking forward to it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

We have a number of fans content to write off games against the old firm. It's a loser mentally, that's the point.

I look forward to your pointless reply tho. 

I think you mean mentality :lol:

If you are going to try and be a smart arse, you need to be smart first 😉.

No one writes them off, if you bother to read :rofl:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

To try to post something that doesn't require me arguing that up is not in fact down, this game is a huge test for us. Even with our injuries, I think we have enough form right now to get a win, possibly a convincing one. A lot of it will come down not to tactics but to getting the heads back up from two defeats to Celtic.

As I really enjoy watching our current team play, I'm rather looking forward to it.

It will require a positive attitude and the bravery on the ball we keep speaking about, they no doubt will play it like a cup tie, no win for them here, then 3rd looks very unlikely, the incentive has to be 3 points for us and probably a straight race with Hibs who would likely be 8 behind

pettigrewsstylist

Would take a point all day long. Maintains status quo and another game/opportunity gone for them. Hope we dont have to score 2 to acheive it.

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I think you mean mentality :lol:

If you are going to try and be a smart arse, you need to be smart first 😉.

No one writes them off, if you bother to read :rofl:

There it is, your pointless reply. 

All you can do is pick up a spelling mistake. 

The post I originally quoted literally said "take out the big 2".

You must be trolling, you're surely not this dense. 

Ex member of the SaS

What we need is a mixture of keeping possession and fast attacking, keep the opposition on their toes and not knowing whether to press or defend. Far too often we sit back and pointlessly pass it back and forth, that allows the opposition to press but still contain the front men. Just occasionally get the keeper to punt a long ball over the top. This is not hoof ball, but a combination to keep them afraid to press due to the risk of being out done at the back.

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

What we need is a mixture of keeping possession and fast attacking, keep the opposition on their toes and not knowing whether to press or defend. Far too often we sit back and pointlessly pass it back and forth, that allows the opposition to press but still contain the front men. Just occasionally get the keeper to punt a long ball over the top. This is not hoof ball, but a combination to keep them afraid to press due to the risk of being out done at the back.

All we need to do is score more goals than them. There are many ways that might achieve that. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
44 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

There it is, your pointless reply. 

All you can do is pick up a spelling mistake. 

The post I originally quoted literally said "take out the big 2".

You must be trolling, you're surely not this dense. 

:lol:

Trolling, me oh my. Brass neck doesn't even begin to cut it laddie :)

What is your point by the way. Hearts dont try against them?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

All we need to do is score more goals than them. There are many ways that might achieve that. 

If we defend well, we win games, we struggle to do that, naturally, against better teams, really was why we lost at Motherwell, even on Saturday, goals lost have been sloppy ones. 

Been quite a few clean sheets though, Livingston and Hibs away included, if we are dogged at the back, the rest will fall into place

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Aye, but that's what they'll EXPECT us to try to do. We need to mix it up a bit . . .

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Shhhh...

Don't tell Aberdeen tho....

They might try and stoap us or even do it themselves....

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

:lol:

Trolling, me oh my. Brass neck doesn't even begin to cut it laddie :)

What is your point by the way. Hearts dont try against them?

Not my point, I never took them out of the discussion, you did. 

As for 'laddie' chat... 

I'll leave this here, you have the final word you're clearly desperate for. 

A 2-0 defeat, a red card for a substitute coming on as we chase the game and Willie Miller getting on my tits as he shouts excitedly on the radio and has some 'banter' with  'Biscuits' about their bet on who'll finish 3rd; that's my sunny outlook for Saturday.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Exactly, our two GKs kick it high though not the low hard drive modern GKs do.

Like the extremely few teams using our system they’re  predictable. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Would take a point all day long. Maintains status quo and another game/opportunity gone for them. Hope we dont have to score 2 to acheive it.

Due a penalty. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Not my point, I never took them out of the discussion, you did. 

As for 'laddie' chat... 

I'll leave this here, you have the final word you're clearly desperate for. 

Not that I recall lad :)

As bad as your dense shit, irony eh

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Due a penalty. 

Don Robertson on VAR, maybe April for the pen

Japan Jambo

Must not lose for me. They will be wounded after the shellacking we gave them last time, I do hope we have a plan and a performance in us.

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Don Robertson on VAR, maybe April for the pen

Have to hope he wants revenge for being sent at least twice a game to screen by someone else. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Is Shankland definitely out?

Reports today saying club is optimistic he’ll be back (Snoddy and Humps too maybe)

2 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Reports today saying club is optimistic he’ll be back (Snoddy and Humps too maybe)

Cheers. 

12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Is Shankland definitely out?

Can't see him being left out of the Scotland squad if he was fully fit for this weekend 

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Who will take it? 

Good question, Ginnelly if the usual taker doesn’t make it. 

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Can't see him being left out of the Scotland squad if he was fully fit for this weekend 

Who would you imagine he would replace? All Clarks regulars are in. Will probably get chosen for the games on 17th and 20th of June when someone pulls out 🤦🏽..

Who would you imagine he would replace? All Clarks regulars are in. Will probably get chosen for the games on 17th and 20th of June when someone pulls out 🤦🏽..

Brown, whoever he is.  

Sadly, I think it's more away day blues for Hearts on Saturday.

Slow, passive start, 1-0 down at HT,

2-0, FT.

Hope I'm all kinds of wrong.

By The Light..
26 minutes ago, martoon said:

Sadly, I think it's more away day blues for Hearts on Saturday.

Slow, passive start, 1-0 down at HT,

2-0, FT.

Hope I'm all kinds of wrong.

Every chance that's the case, maybe need to set up to frustrate Aberdeen and confuse any plan they might have for 45 mins then make 3 changes at HT and confuse them even more and get them on the break, no idea how we'd do that though! 

14 hours ago, Costanza said:

A 2-0 defeat, a red card for a substitute coming on as we chase the game and Willie Miller getting on my tits as he shouts excitedly on the radio and has some 'banter' with  'Biscuits' about their bet on who'll finish 3rd; that's my sunny outlook for Saturday.

2-0 win, despite the ref sending off one of our players for very little following a fracas started by Aberdeen.  Biscuits will lightly rib Wullie Muller (he's not bright enough to do more) sending Miller in to a spiral of gibbering and by Sunday morning the only word he's able to utter for the rest of his life is "Gothenburg" as his maniac eyes dart around the room.  Despite this, BBC radio keep him on for another 4 years. And there is no notable difference on Sportsound.

Aberdeen are shite. Change yer panties folks. 3 points in the bag for the JT's.

:verysmug:

Edited by Pans Jambo

30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

2-0 win, despite the ref sending off one of our players for very little following a fracas started by Aberdeen.  Biscuits will lightly rib Wullie Muller (he's not bright enough to do more) sending Miller in to a spiral of gibbering and by Sunday morning the only word he's able to utter for the rest of his life is "Gothenburg" as his maniac eyes dart around the room.  Despite this, BBC radio keep him on for another 4 years. And there is no notable difference on Sportsound.

I'll take that, well maybe not the Sportsound bit

Graham Thomson
19 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Sorry, but you can't argue that top teams don't use the system when you know that Bayern uses the system at least some of the time. Spurs are having success with it right now, 4th in the EPL is success for them no matter how you want to wish it away.

Just ****ing say you don't like the system and stop making up shit to justify it, it's fine.

The point is the players we have are much more suited to a back four, the gaps in the full back areas are there for all to see, and our wide midfielders as you describe them are to worried about what's going on behind them rather than creating attacks, you have to play players in positions they understand and are comfortable in , we don't always do that, 2 full backs 2 centre half's everyone knows what is required,Robbie consistently over complicates the game  

The result is all that matters, a draw is acceptable but a win would be great. A defeat would restart "the fight for third" we'd still be favourites but we haven't shown much fight recently.

18 minutes ago, Graham Thomson said:

The point is the players we have are much more suited to a back four, the gaps in the full back areas are there for all to see, and our wide midfielders as you describe them are to worried about what's going on behind them rather than creating attacks, you have to play players in positions they understand and are comfortable in , we don't always do that, 2 full backs 2 centre half's everyone knows what is required,Robbie consistently over complicates the game  

I braodly agree.  Not even close to the Robbie oot camp - nothing like it but do enjoy a good tactical dissection.

I think often games need looked at in isolation, and there have been games where the players have started on front foot in 343 and we've looked great, but the issue has been then when the opposition wrestle a foothold, we seem to really struggle to reassert ourselves.

So not sure as much as I'd prefer 433 or similar, that 343 is the route of the problem as such.

There have been examples in our 343 where it's worked really really well.  CHs overlapping WBs, CMs playing high up the park with CHs almost playing sweeper in the opposition half and a front 3 interchanging and causing all sorts of grief.  It CAN work.

The issue as I see it - simplified - is that the set-up works well when we have possession in the opposition half, but doesn't work so well when we have possession in our half.  And teams have sussed this a bit and somewhat let us have it in our own half, let the ball be played to our WBs and close it off there.

As you say, I think we have players more suited to a 433 type thing, but if the model is 343 I'm not chucking toys out pram, it needs work.  Maybe it simply needs some injured guys back!!

Ex member of the SaS
16 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Shhhh...

Don't tell Aberdeen tho....

They might try and stoap us or even do it themselves....

Serious question. what do you do for a living? You are on here 24/7 and are either stealing time from your boss or are skipping school. 

Opinions on 3 or 4 at the back  are like a tennis match on this board but it surely can't be denied that only playing with 2 midfielder's isn't doing us any favours,against Celtic for instance our 2 against a top class 3,while we have our best ball winner on the bench,can RN. not figure out a way to play 3 midfielder's?Snodgrass after a good start is struggling,devlin hardly gets a game,Smith has been tossed,halliday was used against d.utd. and hardly touched the ball,Grant who looks suited to going forward struggles in a 2, kio the same.

2 minutes ago, Nik5122 said:

Opinions on 3 or 4 at the back  are like a tennis match on this board but it surely can't be denied that only playing with 2 midfielder's isn't doing us any favours,against Celtic for instance our 2 against a top class 3,while we have our best ball winner on the bench,can RN. not figure out a way to play 3 midfielder's?Snodgrass after a good start is struggling,devlin hardly gets a game,Smith has been tossed,halliday was used against d.utd. and hardly touched the ball,Grant who looks suited to going forward struggles in a 2, kio the same.

I agree and favour 3 midfielders, our defence is exposed far too much with 3-4-3. All I would say, slightly in RN's defence is Devlin has been poor recently.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Serious question. what do you do for a living? You are on here 24/7 and are either stealing time from your boss or are skipping school. 

I can multi task.

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic