*** Aberdeen v Heart Of Midlothian Official Match Thread ***

Masonic

Bazzas right boot

I think the problem is that we are too high in the league. 

F9lk banging on about not playing well or getting results v teams above us in the League or the better teams in Europe. 

What we need to do is drop to about 7th, so we can beat more teams above us and not qualify for Europe so we can beat the shite in the lc group stages.

This means we'd win more games in general, win more games in the league v teams above us and save us a Skelping or two  in Europe from the likes of Seria A teams.

This being 3rd with most teams below us and playing good teams in Europe isn't for us.

It's shite.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Luckies1874

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I think the problem is that we are too high in the league. 

F9lk banging on about not playing well or getting results v teams above us in the League or the better teams in Europe. 

What we need to do is drop to about 7th, so we can beat more teams above us and not qualify for Europe so we can beat the shite in the lc group stages.

This means we'd win more games in general, win more games in the league v teams above us and save us a Skelping or two  in Europe from the likes of Seria A teams.

This being 3rd with most teams below us and playing good teams in Europe isn't for us.

It's shite.

And to achieve that we could get back to randomly booting the ball up the park. None of this passing it around at the back nonsense, just football as it should be played. 

I can feel the excitement already.

lost in space
1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

Never happy going home after a defeat.

But I can accept that the gulf between the Old Firm and the rest is insuperable. Occasionally, we get lucky.

And I notice that we've been beaten once by a team below us in about five months. Are you happy with that, because you damn well should be?

Lucky??? Maybe if we attacked more, we would get luckier.

Your stat - good results despite poor performances. 

We struggle away and we don't give enough against bigger clubs.

We should be getting more from the squad we have.

There is, in my opinion, a growing unrest about our tactics.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

So the vast majority play a 4? 

Not sure anyone ever argued this, but sure? Probably 60-70% of top tier teams are playing back 4 these days, which to my eye is down considerably from 10 years ago or so when probably 95% of top tier teams were doing it.

But some very large and fairly successful clubs are playing a back 3 these days, so saying that nobody is playing it anymore is incorrect, which was the point I was replying to.

Watt-Zeefuik
19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Back three isolates the wing back unless you have top players in form.

Kingsley and Smith were hung out to dry on Saturday and desperately needed a proper wide midfielder to pass to and to support them.

Reminded me of Atkinson in the cup final getting rinsed time after time by Kent and whoever their full back was. 2-on-1s constantly.

Our own back 3 works best when the outer two CHs can play the ball well. Rowles had a stinker of a game and Hill is good in defence but can't pass.

Smith is one of the best on the team at providing an outlet to pass to, which Celtic knew and so pressed him tight when the ball was at the backfield. Kingsley is just not playing very well right now, which is really hard to watch.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Agreed. Which is why we need to switch to a back 4 until the end of the season when we can reassess personnel. At the moment we are trying to play a formation that our players are incapable of utilising consistently well. 

I'm 50-50 on this. The other dynamic is that until the new year when Hill arrived and Rowles came back, we were leaking terrible goals against mediocre teams on the regular. For the most part that's stopped and our defence is actually playing well most weeks.

I do think we don't look nearly as good without Halkett back there. When we can play Sibbick - Halks - Rowles it will be a beautiful thing.

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

And to achieve that we could get back to randomly booting the ball up the park. None of this passing it around at the back nonsense, just football as it should be played. 

I can feel the excitement already.

:glorious:

None of this passing aboot nonsense.

32 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Where's the best place to park near Pittodrie?

First time I've driven up there since Neil MacFarlane's debut.

If you get up sharp you can park in the street that runs beside the cemetery that backs on to the stadium,fairly close,sorry don't know the name of the street.

I thought we looked really solid at Ibrox back in November, we had a back 4 of Smith, Sibbick, Rowles and Cocherane with Cammy and Snodgrass in front of them.

We switched back to a 3 after the WC break with Halkett playing out on the right which was just painful to watch.

Torry Jambo
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

You can park along the Beach and walk over the Golf Course.The Away Fans entrance Is to the left of the big stand you will see,If you walk this way.

Ricardo Quaresma

No word on the ref for this game yet

Robertson was ref at darkheid, right?

McLean was ref last home game, before Clancy

Guessing it's Collum or Beaton then

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma
Bar steward autocorrect

Right time to get some positive vibes back on here, hoping hearts win at worst a draw.

What's everyone's thoughts and what lineup and formation would u start with.

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Right time to get some positive vibes back on here, hoping hearts win at worst a draw.

What's everyone's thoughts and what lineup and formation would u start with.

Most likely three at the back and not much variation in line up, depending on injuries. Can't see any surprises

13 hours ago, jonesy said:

Agreed. Which is why we need to switch to a back 4 until the end of the season when we can reassess personnel. At the moment we are trying to play a formation that our players are incapable of utilising consistently well. 

I'd like to see a back 4 and it would suit our full backs. My concern is that we have very inexperienced centre backs available at the moment. I think a back 3 maybe suits them and covers their errors a bit. Would probably think the opposite if our wing backs didn't play so deep a lot of the time.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Yeah, Smith and Kingsley are ideal for guiding lesser-experienced centre halves through the game, as they both have bags of experience and can play the role themselves. Our squad is crying out for 4 at the back.

I'd actually like to see Smith at RB and Atkinson in front of him as a RM. Think with Smith's experience and Atkinson's athleticism and pace they'd be a good over/underlap combo. Same with Kingsley and Cochrane.

Sibbick's newfound aggression and confidence would help the 'only' 2 CHs issue. Time for Rowles to step up, recover from his shitemare v Celtic and start being the leader at the back.

Aye good points. I'm sure he will change it at some point. Hopefully soon, we've played it during games so shouldn't be too hard to change.

35 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Make sure you're tbere before kick-off....you dont want to miss a thing

Cutting it fine and Living on the edge of disappointment. Crazy position to be in.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Yeah, Smith and Kingsley are ideal for guiding lesser-experienced centre halves through the game, as they both have bags of experience and can play the role themselves. Our squad is crying out for 4 at the back.

I'd actually like to see Smith at RB and Atkinson in front of him as a RM. Think with Smith's experience and Atkinson's athleticism and pace they'd be a good over/underlap combo. Same with Kingsley and Cochrane.

Sibbick's newfound aggression and confidence would help the 'only' 2 CHs issue. Time for Rowles to step up, recover from his shitemare v Celtic and start being the leader at the back.

You're in danger of changing from having 5 defenders on the pitch to having 6 mate!!!! (i'm usually first to say not to label players with a position but look at their attributes in stead, but, well, you are!)

God its so boring.  The team picks itself imo - 433 with Grant and Devlin either side of Kio or Snoddy (horses for courses between those two), both having license to break into box but with remit to find pickets other side of midfield.  FBs get high up pitch, three up front pretty fluid - Shanks, Gino, plus 1, probbaly Baz.

I just don't see how this isn't our best team.  I really don't.  Whoever is in the back 4 (either LB I'm happy with, probably Kye and Tobes at CH and Smudge at RB), it's just our best team.

If we HAVE to play 343 it needs to be more of a 352.  We need penetration from midfield.  We have it in our locker.  Use it.  The issue with 352 is none of our wingers fit in it, so no Barrie, no Forrest.  It's 2 of Shanks, Gino and Humps up top, the midfield as described above.  We're left with a couple of players who simply don't fit the system (Forrest has done OK at RWB tbf and Baz CAN play CM and CF/10 but not in the way we need in that formation imo)

No Idle Talk

I don't feel too positive about this game. Which is a bit depressing considering Aberdeen are pretty poor at the moment. Our recent record up there isn't too clever and it feels a bit like a match between two sides who are currently not at their best. Any outcome is possible but I wouldn't expect there to be many goals.

I am hoping for a back four. 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 would be nice, depending on which personnel are available.

A win up there would be a proper shot in the arm…

A draw’s not a bad result either - hopefully extending our lead over Hibs and keeping Aberdeen at arm’s length.

A defeat and we’ve got a proper fight on our hands for 3rd.

39 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Agree with the 433, but would also like to see 442 (I know some folk think it's dead) to allow greater numbers in the box when we do work it into there. 433 necessitates one, often two, of the attacking players coming out wide, leaving only the third attacking player and hopefully one of the pushing midfielders to break into the box. 442 would allow both attackers to stay more central, plus at least one of the midfielders and possibly even the opposite side wide midfielder, resulting in 4 players to work it to.

Don't disagree.  442 is far from dead imo.  I like it.  I think the players we have would work for it.  I do think on occasion we need 3 in the middle but then you'd say JJ played a 442 generally but Baggio, Mickey and Salvatori were all mainstays.  There's way of making it work.

Cochrane or Kingsley can handle the left, so playing someone tucked in that side works, with more width on the right from a Gino or Bazza.

It can work, certainly.

It'll be interesting after another summer of recruitment, hopefully a lot back from injury, no doubt a few leave, to see what the gameplan is next season.  I'd assume 343 but you never know.

1 hour ago, Gershwin said:

A win up there would be a proper shot in the arm…

A draw’s not a bad result either - hopefully extending our lead over Hibs and keeping Aberdeen at arm’s length.

A defeat and we’ve got a proper fight on our hands for 3rd.

its a win-win whatever happens.

We win - 3 points, solidifying 3rd

we draw or lose - JKB Meltdown! gives us all something to read on Monday morning instead of working :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 hours ago, jonesy said:

If you are early enough, some land in behind Beach Ballroom and Leisure Centre, be filled up by around 215

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Formations are a bit of a red herring, particularly with Hearts. Our players tend to pick up very different positions, the movement can be fluid against most clubs, once we get going. We become unstuck when the build up becomes too deliberate, players tend to step into positions where the ball is, when its done even at reasonable speed we create overloads and openings, slowly the opposition get back in.

Likewise when defending, it tends to be zonal and non contact, been quite a few weeks since we conceded 10 free kicks in a game as a result. This is what I feel hinders us most against better opposition, Neilson saying following Saturday he was looking for more contacts, when we moved Sibbick slightly forwards, this did happen, it was beginning to take a positive effect towards half time then we concede a sloppy goal, unlike us since December.

A good example of how you really cant take our formation too literally, on Saturday, Michael Smith was higher than Ginnelly several times, yet was principally operating as right back.

As much as we have been criticised for games against better sides, mostly the sides behind us, struggle to know what we will do next or break right through us

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

No word on the ref for this game yet

Robertson was ref at darkheid, right?

McLean was ref last home game, before Clancy

Guessing it's Collum or Beaton then

-

David Dickenson, Don Robertson on VAR :(

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Formations are a bit of a red herring, particularly with Hearts. Our players tend to pick up very different positions, the movement can be fluid against most clubs, once we get going. We become unstuck when the build up becomes too deliberate, players tend to step into positions where the ball is, when its done even at reasonable speed we create overloads and openings, slowly the opposition get back in.

Likewise when defending, it tends to be zonal and non contact, been quite a few weeks since we conceded 10 free kicks in a game as a result. This is what I feel hinders us most against better opposition, Neilson saying following Saturday he was looking for more contacts, when we moved Sibbick slightly forwards, this did happen, it was beginning to take a positive effect towards half time then we concede a sloppy goal, unlike us since December.

A good example of how you really cant take our formation too literally, on Saturday, Michael Smith was higher than Ginnelly several times, yet was principally operating as right back.

As much as we have been criticised for games against better sides, mostly the sides behind us, struggle to know what we will do next or break right through us

Is that why we’ve only won three games away from home?
The system works to an extent at home but has failed in the main away. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is that why we’ve only won three games away from home?
The system works to an extent at home but has failed in the main away. 

Take out the big 2, we have lost to Livingston and Motherwell. Aberdeen with virtually no team. 

Livingston we didnt manage to beat at home either. Motherwell we did beat away. More wins would certainly be better, coping with Sundays after Thursdays and chronic injuries, too simplistic to say it hasnt worked. 

Not losing away is the first hurdle

Luckies1874

2 of our 3 away wins did actually come on Sunday’s after European games mind you! 

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Take out the big 2, we have lost to Livingston and Motherwell. Aberdeen with virtually no team. 

Livingston we didnt manage to beat at home either. Motherwell we did beat away. More wins would certainly be better, coping with Sundays after Thursdays and chronic injuries, too simplistic to say it hasnt worked. 

Our record after European games is 4 wins, 2 draws and one loss apparently so thats not an issue. 
We haven’t beaten Livi this season, Motherwell away was one the luckiest victories we are ever likely to have. 
Injuries are a problem but something we have to review, whether it’s injury prone players or other reasons as we seem to have more than most. McKay is the only outfielder who has been fit for every game this season it seems?

As for the system itself is there a game we’ve dominated, played well for both halves and won easily this seasom?

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

2 of our 3 away wins did actually come on Sunday’s after European games mind you! 

Can we arrange a trip abroad and a game tomorrow 😜?

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Our record after European games is 4 wins, 2 draws and one loss apparently so thats not an issue. 
We haven’t beaten Livi this season, Motherwell away was one the luckiest victories we are ever likely to have. 
Injuries are a problem but something we have to review, whether it’s injury prone players or other reasons as we seem to have more than most. McKay is the only outfielder who has been fit for every game this season it seems?

As for the system itself is there a game we’ve dominated, played well for both halves and won easily this seasom?

The picture you paint is one of crushing defeats and lucky in the wins we've had. 

It's horse shite.

We've won easily lots this season,  had a fair few games with 2/ 3 goal margins. 

We've not dominated the full 90, but why is this even a thing,  how many Heart teams have dominated the opposition,  all the time?

Our defeats you mention were all 50/50, we could have won them ( just like we could have lost in some wins or draws), but we were hardly outplayed especially Aberdeen  and at Eell, in both games we missed good chances to go ahead.

Livi defeat was very poor.

The narrative of us struggling to play well in victory and being outplayed in every  defeat is utter nonsense.

You'd think we were a low scoring, lucky side who are lucky to win a game.

Are You watching Hearts?

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can we arrange a trip abroad and a game tomorrow 😜?

There is a cumulative effect to consider between 2nd week August to 2nd week November. The one that really was poor 2nd Motherwell, perhaps a bit of distance in the table at that point resulted in some complacency

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Why do people insist on taking out 'the big 2'.

We play them. 

Pasquale for King

Clark

Cochrane

Kingsley

Rowles

Hill 

Smith

McKay

Snodgrass

Grant

Gunnelly

Shankland

If they’re all available. 

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

There is a cumulative effect to consider between 2nd week August to 2nd week November. The one that really was poor 2nd Motherwell, perhaps a bit of distance in the table at that point resulted in some complacency

Definitely but league results held up well. 
But the system doesnt lend itself to playing well for both halves or dominant performances, can’t think of any tbh. 
Uts a good sign to win when you’re not playing well but you need to balance that with winning and playing well, because we wont always show our quality to scrape a win.

Hopefully Saturday will bring a result and performance, although the latter will suffice obviously. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

22 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Not sure anyone ever argued this, but sure? Probably 60-70% of top tier teams are playing back 4 these days, which to my eye is down considerably from 10 years ago or so when probably 95% of top tier teams were doing it.

But some very large and fairly successful clubs are playing a back 3 these days, so saying that nobody is playing it anymore is incorrect, which was the point I was replying to.

The successful team will recruit to play that system. I don’t mind a back 3 when we have the personnel but I think it needs parked until next season. Robbie made the switch around this time last year and results picked up. 

Last year it worked to an extent because we had a dominant centre half in Halkett and two ball players either side with Kingsley and Souttar. This season you would probably say our best back 3 is Rowles, Sibbick, Hill who are all pretty much a downgrade in that respect. 

We had two dynamic Centre mids who could run all day and cover lots of ground. This season the mainstay of the midfield had been Snoddy and he’s a terrific player but anything but dynamic. 

Simms was the perfect CF for this formation as he would batter defenders and run the channels creating space for McKay and Boyce. Gino has done really well this season but he’s not occupying any centre half in this league. 

4231 gets us back to basics for now and lets everyone play their natural game. We’ve better players than the other 9 teams so just let them play and no need to be clever about it. 

Smith and Cochrane/Kingsley can predominantly defend. 

Centre halfs won’t have the most touches in the team like they do now. 

Snoddy can play 15 yards higher and have a midfielder beside him. 

McKay can play left mid/wing.

There will be an actual number 10 to create instead of Shanklands daft half position. 

Shankland can play upfront. No 9. In between the posts. 

Can’t see Shankland playing with Clark saying he’s got a hamstring problem so didn’t pick him for Scotland game that’s the following week 

Some carry on we get an injury update from another manger as our manger seems to think he’s not injured and will be fine for the Celtic game last week 

8 minutes ago, theshed said:

Can’t see Shankland playing with Clark saying he’s got a hamstring problem so didn’t pick him for Scotland game that’s the following week 

Some carry on we get an injury update from another manger as our manger seems to think he’s not injured and will be fine for the Celtic game last week 

He’ll be available for Aberdeen. I’m not the Hearts or Scotland manager but I’m more reliable than both!

27 minutes ago, DS98 said:

He’ll be available for Aberdeen. I’m not the Hearts or Scotland manager but I’m more reliable than both!

That will do for me 👍

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, DS98 said:

The successful team will recruit to play that system. I don’t mind a back 3 when we have the personnel but I think it needs parked until next season. Robbie made the switch around this time last year and results picked up. 

Last year it worked to an extent because we had a dominant centre half in Halkett and two ball players either side with Kingsley and Souttar. This season you would probably say our best back 3 is Rowles, Sibbick, Hill who are all pretty much a downgrade in that respect. 

We had two dynamic Centre mids who could run all day and cover lots of ground. This season the mainstay of the midfield had been Snoddy and he’s a terrific player but anything but dynamic. 

Simms was the perfect CF for this formation as he would batter defenders and run the channels creating space for McKay and Boyce. Gino has done really well this season but he’s not occupying any centre half in this league. 

4231 gets us back to basics for now and lets everyone play their natural game. We’ve better players than the other 9 teams so just let them play and no need to be clever about it. 

There will be an actual number 10 to create instead of Shanklands daft half position. 

Spot on. 

Pasquale for King
23 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

What teams? Some play 3 or 5 at the back some of the time but I can’t think of anyone apart from 

Chelsea who have played the system and won anything recently. 

Scott Leitch
59 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Excellent post.

David Dickinson the referee.   Recently did the Inverness v Kilmarnock  SC match.   Yes, he was awful.   Don Robertson on VAR 😂.  

Shankland has a tight hamstring I read, Clarke quote.   So two weeks since the St Johnstone match.   I guess he will make the Aberdeen game.   Sounds same as Devlin when he had hamstring problem.   

We'll need a strong side.   Aberdeen aren't that great but will want to give some back after getting pumped 5-0.

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Bang on the button. Great post.  

Scott Leitch
9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Even if we wanted to bin a back 3 we couldn't because our wide players are shite. 

They really aren't. McKay is a very decent player if you play him in his natural position.

Just now, Scott Leitch said:

They really aren't. McKay is a very decent player if you play him in his natural position.

McKay has been horseshit for 90% of this season playing in his natural position. 

Who else is there? Forrest? Kuol? 

It's the weakest area of our team. 

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic