Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Luckies1874

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Brown, whoever he is.  

Why? He’s picked him ahead of Shankland for the last few squads, Nisbet would be there before him too. How he works.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Every team is up for a game v us.

So why are we rarely up for them?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Graham Thomson said:

The point is the players we have are much more suited to a back four, the gaps in the full back areas are there for all to see, and our wide midfielders as you describe them are to worried about what's going on behind them rather than creating attacks, you have to play players in positions they understand and are comfortable in , we don't always do that, 2 full backs 2 centre half's everyone knows what is required,Robbie consistently over complicates the game  

Indeed, wide midfielders eh 😆, looked like they were in line with the three CHs last Saturday. 

Pasquale for King

Guys we’ve played three midfielders for weeks, Mckay has been one of the two 8s as the manager describes it. Against Celtic away it was Grant/Kio/Devlin and at home Halluday/Kio/Grant. Its not 343 it’s 532 , at least one of the strikers dropping deep also, Ginnelly was on the edge of his own box a few times last Saturday. He could barely get more defensive. 

Absolute Scenes
22 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think we win this with a Barry McKay hatrick into the bargain. 

if McKay ever scores a hattrick for hearts i'll pay your mortgage

I really don’t like the 3 which is actually 5 at the back. I don’t think it’ll work at Aberdeen but I more than suspect that’s what we’ll get and at some point in the game switch the formation. Never mind the gaps the 3 leaves we have no sustained periods of high tempo play, we seem to go in very short burst then retreat into a 5 at the back the midfield get over run and we invite the opposition on too us.

IMO the 4 gives us more options going forward and we create more width and hold the ball for longer. 

Whatever the formation I’ll happily take a scrappy 1-0 win and move on.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Guys we’ve played three midfielders for weeks, Mckay has been one of the two 8s as the manager describes it. Against Celtic away it was Grant/Kio/Devlin and at home Halluday/Kio/Grant. Its not 343 it’s 532 , at least one of the strikers dropping deep also, Ginnelly was on the edge of his own box a few times last Saturday. He could barely get more defensive. 

It needs to be three actual midfielders because Mckay in there really just leaves two players defending. I thought three midfielders worked as well as it could at parkhead but not so much last saturday . Agree it does look more like 5-3-2 most of the time. Coming round to the argument for a back 4 but the main problem against better teams has been them strolling through our midfield imo.

The 3 at back only becomes 5 when we are defending or being pinned back by the likes of Celtic.  Most of the time the two wide players say, Smith and Cochrane are in the opposition half.  I actually think the 3 gives us more attacking options but I do agree it often leaves the middle short of numbers.  I really don't get hung up by the formation as long as we can adapt during games if it's not going well. TBF I think Neilson has reacted well to different situations particularly during our very good run post World Cup (which i think has conveniently slipped from peoples memories)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Korky said:

No point in complaining if we get beat. You’ll just get called a ‘pantwetter’!

Pantwetters and Happy Clappers, lamest claims on the net :)

Generally across thread, an accusation of lack of fight. Really don't agree, since VAR came about we have made a very discernible way to how we get the ball back, interception than tackle. We would be averaging easily below 10 fouls a game in 2023.

Edit(127 fouls last 13 games - far higher average January, Aberdeen h Hibs a Livi a the highest counts)

Moving the ball too slowly is a valid claim, I dont question this teams hunger at all, they are trying to play football and being pilloried for not being fast enough at it, but that's not effort, its ability.

Move the ball quicker, and defend we win, move the ball slow and slack in defence, we lose.

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 hour ago, Graham Thomson said:

The point is the players we have are much more suited to a back four, the gaps in the full back areas are there for all to see, and our wide midfielders as you describe them are to worried about what's going on behind them rather than creating attacks, you have to play players in positions they understand and are comfortable in , we don't always do that, 2 full backs 2 centre half's everyone knows what is required,Robbie consistently over complicates the game  

Agreed - If you were to view back goals lost this term, you would note just how many we loose from attacks coming down our left hand.....many times I moan about "not having a left back". Personnel issues have often forced RN to persistently tinker with formations, but the times we do have folk available for a few games in a row he still chops and changes both players and structures. TOO many times - over complicating matters. A good defence partially comes through familiarity in players along side each other and semi-settled gameplans. We have better players than any team outside the exOF so let them change styles to worry about us. This weekend a draw would do - as we will do the usual away from home and play it too cagey. (eg Motherwell/Livvy) 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

The 3 at back only becomes 5 when we are defending or being pinned back by the likes of Celtic.  Most of the time the two wide players say, Smith and Cochrane are in the opposition half.  I actually think the 3 gives us more attacking options but I do agree it often leaves the middle short of numbers.  I really don't get hung up by the formation as long as we can adapt during games if it's not going well. TBF I think Neilson has reacted well to different situations particularly during our very good run post World Cup (which i think has conveniently slipped from peoples memories)

Smith was the furthest man forward several times last Saturday, his goal against Aberdeen in January also.

Quite a complex system we operate, pros and cons, seems to create plenty chances against average teams, but too convoluted to take on any team with a level of talent

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It needs to be three actual midfielders because Mckay in there really just leaves two players defending. I thought three midfielders worked as well as it could at parkhead but not so much last saturday . Agree it does look more like 5-3-2 most of the time. Coming round to the argument for a back 4 but the main problem against better teams has been them strolling through our midfield imo.

Definitely 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Hes had to adapt because he cant get the team to play well in both halves, barely one, and start matches poorly, he identified these as problems but hasnt solved them. 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Generally across thread, an accusation of lack of fight. Really don't agree, since VAR came about we have made a very discernible way to how we get the ball back, interception than tackle. We would be averaging easily below 10 fouls a game in 2023.

Edit(127 fouls last 13 games - far higher average January, Aberdeen h Hibs a Livi a the highest counts)

Moving the ball too slowly is a valid claim, I dont question this teams hunger at all, they are trying to play football and being pilloried for not being fast enough at it, but that's not effort, its ability.

Move the ball quicker, and defend we win, move the ball slow and slack in defence, we lose.

So if we don't have the ability to do that why are we trying?
Every big game against better teams we seem to think we can take 3 or more touches, when 1-2 is all you have time for. Now either theyre not being coached to do it, don’t listen or cant. Now all of that is the managers fault. 

12 hours ago, By The Light.. said:

Every chance that's the case, maybe need to set up to frustrate Aberdeen and confuse any plan they might have for 45 mins then make 3 changes at HT and confuse them even more and get them on the break, no idea how we'd do that though! 

Aah, the old confusion ploy. It might work, bud. 😊

I hate being so negative about Hearts but poor away performance are the norm now.

We get away with it sometimes and draw or even win so you never know, I suppose. 

Another Motherwell/Hibs 0-3 Hearts smash and grab would go down a treat on Saturday.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think we win this with a Barry McKay hatrick into the bargain. 

On the drink early today? 😄

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Graham Thomson said:

And the thing is, this isn’t what I see at all. We don’t play well in a back four right now. We have players we signed to play CH in a back 3 and they play very well there. Robbie has kept it pretty simple by just picking our strongest available back 3 for most games.

Some folk just don’t like a back 3 and that’s fine. But it fits our players and our style and means our defence is relatively consistent week in and week out.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I braodly agree.  Not even close to the Robbie oot camp - nothing like it but do enjoy a good tactical dissection.

I think often games need looked at in isolation, and there have been games where the players have started on front foot in 343 and we've looked great, but the issue has been then when the opposition wrestle a foothold, we seem to really struggle to reassert ourselves.

So not sure as much as I'd prefer 433 or similar, that 343 is the route of the problem as such.

There have been examples in our 343 where it's worked really really well.  CHs overlapping WBs, CMs playing high up the park with CHs almost playing sweeper in the opposition half and a front 3 interchanging and causing all sorts of grief.  It CAN work.

The issue as I see it - simplified - is that the set-up works well when we have possession in the opposition half, but doesn't work so well when we have possession in our half.  And teams have sussed this a bit and somewhat let us have it in our own half, let the ball be played to our WBs and close it off there.

As you say, I think we have players more suited to a 433 type thing, but if the model is 343 I'm not chucking toys out pram, it needs work.  Maybe it simply needs some injured guys back!!

I can agree with a lot of this, but to me our biggest problem is our lack of a consistent healthy DM. With both Beni and Haring out and Kio coming on slowly it’s forced Devlin and Snoddy into that role which is far from ideal.

Our system works best with three players in the middle of the park, which may or may not include a forward in a #10 mode the way Boyce was doing before he got hurt. Snoddy is at his best as the most forward of those and Devlin is best in the middle of it. Having no options at the back means they are all shifted back some into less than ideal positions. Kio coming on against Celtic at least helped that.

To me a back 4 makes that problem worse, not better.

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

It’s become necessary to preface any valid criticism with a disclaimer that you’re not one of the ‘Robbie Oot’ fraternity!

Shanks and Humps in training which is a good sign 🤞🏼 (as per Hearts Insta). No images of Snoddy yet..

Lord Beni of Gorgie
50 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So if we don't have the ability to do that why are we trying?
Every big game against better teams we seem to think we can take 3 or more touches, when 1-2 is all you have time for. Now either theyre not being coached to do it, don’t listen or cant. Now all of that is the managers fault

In your opinion, doesnt make it true. 

A way of playing takes a long time to build and along the way, even the great teams suffer setbacks in what they are trying to achieve. Is Klopp the problem at Liverpool then. I doubt it

We'll play Snodgrass 2 yards ahead of Sibbick.

We'll play Shankland 2 yards ahead of Snodgrass.

We'll pass it about 7000 times around the back then kick it out for an Aberdeen throw, 20 yards into our half.

We'll be slow.

We'll makes passes that take 3 minutes to get to the intended player.

We'll make passes that go behind the intended player.

We'll make sure Clark is in the top 3 players to take a touch from our squad.

We'll play absolutely dreadful stuff but then hear after the game "I thought we were magnificent today".

0-1 Hearts  :wattie:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Korky said:

It’s become necessary to preface any valid criticism with a disclaimer that you’re not one of the ‘Robbie Oot’ fraternity!

I know what you are saying. Not a place you want to come for shades of grey, the word fault is often used loosely, when I was involved in management, a word we avoided mostly, improvement a much better way to look at life rather than dishing out blame and causing disharmony

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

In your opinion, doesnt make it true. 

A way of playing takes a long time to build and along the way, even the great teams suffer setbacks in what they are trying to achieve. Is Klopp the problem at Liverpool then. I doubt it

If you cant get the players that you signed to play a system properly even after working on it then you carry the can for that, fact. 
You didn’t answer why when you think the players cant do these things why does the manager play the system?

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

We'll pass it about 7000 times around the back then kick it out for an Aberdeen throw, 20 yards into our half.

We'll be slow.

We'll play absolutely dreadful stuff but then hear after the game "I thought we were magnificent today".

Would take that 😆

Luckies1874
20 minutes ago, Korky said:

Very true. It tends to save a lot of time when Neilson's rabid followers arrive on the scene. 

3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

We'll be slow.

😂👏

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Serious question. what do you do for a living? You are on here 24/7 and are either stealing time from your boss or are skipping school. 

what's it got to do with you ? 😆some people 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

If you cant get the players that you signed to play a system properly even after working on it then you carry the can for that, fact. 
You didn’t answer why when you think the players cant do these things why does the manager play the system?

Patience. The disruption suffered this past 2 seasons, is far too easily overlooked. Its a reason and a very valid one, not an excuse, however bottom line, we need to move the ball faster.

On any given day, Celtic or Rangers playing to their level should beat us, doesn't mean to say we cant beat them, generally other than playing each other, they now see us as the day they need to bring their A game, with 10 out last week, makes what we are talking about very difficult to implement.

We are very much work in progress, we will be for years, but I'd rather we persevere trying to be a football team, playing football and try to build upon it, than be Hibs or Aberdeen

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Patience. The disruption suffered this past 2 seasons, is far too easily overlooked. Its a reason and a very valid one, not an excuse, however bottom line, we need to move the ball faster.

On any given day, Celtic or Rangers playing to their level should beat us, doesn't mean to say we cant beat them, generally other than playing each other, they now see us as the day they need to bring their A game, with 10 out last week, makes what we are talking about very difficult to implement.

We are very much work in progress, we will be for years, but I'd rather we persevere trying to be a football team, playing football and try to build upon it, than be Hibs or Aberdeen

Slow process, stop signing injury prone players and look at why we have so many of them would help. 
Weve played 30 players this season so  we have spent well over £2m on strengthening the squad to try and compensate. 
My only issue about last Saturday was the way we approached the match, as we showed earlier in the season and as managerial gods like CL/Cathro/Stendel proved theres a way to play against them that gives us a better chance to beat the uglies. 
Nobody wants to be Aberdeen or Hibs. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Very true. It tends to save a lot of time when Neilson's rabid followers arrive on the scene. 

We are the rabids, they're PHMs or “Real Hearts fans” allegedly. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Slow process, stop signing injury prone players and look at why we have so many of them would help. 
Weve played 30 players this season so  we have spent well over £2m on strengthening the squad to try and compensate. 
My only issue about last Saturday was the way we approached the match, as we showed earlier in the season and as managerial gods like CL/Cathro/Stendel proved theres a way to play against them that gives us a better chance to beat the uglies. 
Nobody wants to be Aberdeen or Hibs. 

No one has a crystal ball, most of the players injured had decent records, GMS would be questionable.

We aren't going to play like those managers, Cathro to be honest didn't change for Rangers, they were simply a poor team at the time. Neilson also beat them comfortably weeks before in his final match.

We have a way of playing and we are going to stick to it, whoever it is, only by persevering will we have any chance of the team we want to be, short term, and I found last Saturday painful, we simply have to suck it up.

11-0 in 3 matches playing this way against Hibs and Aberdeen in January, I can see why you would, however I get what you are saying, and in truth I agree with what you are saying, its a long term strategy we wont deviate from, is reality.

3rd is still the main season goal, if we get there, we have a chance to raise the bar again squad wise, problem is, the 2 above us will too, certainly Celtic

41 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

We'll be slow.

not bad

you missed out

our manager won't Snarl at players, nor chew their bottoms, during or after the match

we'll also fuel the players up on bacon butties during our warm up (anyone scoring from our own half is allowed a chinese takeaway after the game)

we'll let Ann Budge pick the team and woe beside anyone at Hearts trying to tell her not to

we'll get the youth players to clean the team bus during the game

we'll not see Neilsen pretend to be a dog barking up and down the touchline

and as the piece de resistance, when the fourth and winning Aberdeen goal goes in, we'll wheel our friendly back office staff out to say "Hi Robbie" in front of the Hearts away support.

I can't wait for Saturday!

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hes had to adapt because he cant get the team to play well in both halves, barely one, and start matches poorly, he identified these as problems but hasnt solved them. 

I also don't get this two halves thing.  No team plays well for 90 mins.  

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

No one has a crystal ball, most of the players injured had decent records, GMS would be questionable.

We aren't going to play like those managers, Cathro to be honest didn't change for Rangers, they were simply a poor team at the time. Neilson also beat them comfortably weeks before in his final match.

We have a way of playing and we are going to stick to it, whoever it is, only by persevering will we have any chance of the team we want to be, short term, and I found last Saturday painful, we simply have to suck it up.

11-0 in 3 matches playing this way against Hibs and Aberdeen in January, I can see why you would, however I get what you are saying, and in truth I agree with what you are saying, its a long term strategy we wont deviate from, is reality.

3rd is still the main season goal, if we get there, we have a chance to raise the bar again squad wise, problem is, the 2 above us will too, certainly Celtic

Cathro like the other two used a back 4 and pressed them, as we did in the 4:3 game. Appears to give us our best chance against them and most were actually complimentary after the 4:3 defeat as we actually had a go. 
Those three games showed what we can do without really playing well over the whole game, the team have settled into playing well in short bursts and winning games, but that cant work all the time when you give up the chances we do. Our two GKs seem to make a wonder stop every match. 
He will stick to the system until we are getting beat then change it, acknowledging that once again its not worked especially away from home.

All the guys currently out are injury prone apart from Shankland, you cant have so many. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, TexasAndy said:

I also don't get this two halves thing.  No team plays well for 90 mins.  

Yes but not as noticeably different, teams will obviously have better periods than us but there are games where we start either half slowly, the manager has mentioned that it is an issue. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Cathro like the other two used a back 4 and pressed them, as we did in the 4:3 game. Appears to give us our best chance against them and most were actually complimentary after the 4:3 defeat as we actually had a go. 
Those three games showed what we can do without really playing well over the whole game, the team have settled into playing well in short bursts and winning games, but that cant work all the time when you give up the chances we do. Our two GKs seem to make a wonder stop every match. 
He will stick to the system until we are getting beat then change it, acknowledging that once again its not worked especially away from home.

All the guys currently out are injury prone apart from Shankland, you cant have so many. 

Beni hardly had an injury, neither Gordon (following his comeback) nor Halkett, Snodgrass has had a long career, had a back problem at West Ham he was over, simply not true. Cochrane has been steady, had a lot of football this year, Boyce one previous cruciate, they may have had injuries, certainly not prone, when they were hired.

Be interesting to see how we go Saturday, we played well enough to win there last time, despite the shocking injury problems for that match, we simply didnt take our chances and got punished when we understandably tired, the system that day worked. In truth despite the lack of attacking intent at Well, the defeat, they rarely bothered us.

3 wins not good enough obviously, not always the system to blame, that word again blame. Grey areas, always

Ex member of the SaS
28 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

not bad

you missed out

our manager won't Snarl at players, nor chew their bottoms, during or after the match

we'll also fuel the players up on bacon butties during our warm up (anyone scoring from our own half is allowed a chinese takeaway after the game)

we'll let Ann Budge pick the team and woe beside anyone at Hearts trying to tell her not to

we'll get the youth players to clean the team bus during the game

we'll not see Neilsen pretend to be a dog barking up and down the touchline

and as the piece de resistance, when the fourth and winning Aberdeen goal goes in, we'll wheel our friendly back office staff out to say "Hi Robbie" in front of the Hearts away support.

I can't wait for Saturday!

Between the to of you can you send my the Euro lottery numbers fir this Friday. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

We'll be slow.

We'll take minutes to make our mind up what to do at every throw-in, then just throw it backwards

12 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Between the to of you can you send my the Euro lottery numbers fir this Friday. Thanks in advance.

try this:

Winnings split 4 ways mind. between you, me, armageddon and the club

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

On the drink early today? 😄

Positive vibes mate. 🌈 

Sometimes when I come off of here I have to double check the league table and make sure we aren’t hovering above the relegation zone rather than in third place. The ****ing negativity is beyond belief. 

Most other teams out with the old firm would give their left bollock to be in our position. 

Considering the worst injury record I have ever seen us suffer this year, we are in a great position to once again finish third and get back into Europe again. 

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Sometimes when I come off of here I have to double check the league table and make sure we aren’t hovering above the relegation zone rather than in third place. The ****ing negativity is beyond belief. 

Most other teams out with the old firm would give their left bollock to be in our position. 

Considering the worst injury record I have ever seen us suffer this year, we are in a great position to once again finish third and get back into Europe again. 

agree.

but if we lose on Saturday - I guarantee the earth will stop rotating for some. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
33 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

:trippin:

You cant come on here and say things like that :lol:

Needs to be drummed out of you!!

:seething:

24 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

True. But it’s boring to be all positive and happy all the time.

Hearts supporters are never happier than when they are raging about something, anything 😉

As a club and fan base, we must ensure we are never ever happy with anything whatsoever and always demand more and more from anyone associated with the club. It’s the only way 😎

C8B4703D-CE53-429D-89B6-8419FB4E89DE.gif.b18bdde83bb27736979918bf1bf840ad.gif5E941E11-8E1D-4B23-AAB5-114CBA4C5C84.gif.4f0e896a31c88530c5fca187c3c0a7b9.gif2825CE67-48F5-40B6-B09B-88FE8E7CECE5.gif.c6227c5e86c9f41ae6fc9818cd0e24f3.gifB596FEF4-E128-451A-B1A5-5816EC28ACA8.gif.e014b7cad637f9340845497e4a7b4b58.gif2C8F2164-E40B-40A2-B3C1-FB7A00535063.png.19883c0d52bd0e93b7e8b9246bffbe8c.png

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, MattyK82 said:

True. But it’s boring to be all positive and happy all the time.

Hearts supporters are never happier than when they are raging about something, anything 😉

As a club and fan base, we must ensure we are never ever happy with anything whatsoever and always demand more and more from anyone associated with the club. It’s the only way 😎

C8B4703D-CE53-429D-89B6-8419FB4E89DE.gif.b18bdde83bb27736979918bf1bf840ad.gif5E941E11-8E1D-4B23-AAB5-114CBA4C5C84.gif.4f0e896a31c88530c5fca187c3c0a7b9.gif2825CE67-48F5-40B6-B09B-88FE8E7CECE5.gif.c6227c5e86c9f41ae6fc9818cd0e24f3.gifB596FEF4-E128-451A-B1A5-5816EC28ACA8.gif.e014b7cad637f9340845497e4a7b4b58.gif2C8F2164-E40B-40A2-B3C1-FB7A00535063.png.19883c0d52bd0e93b7e8b9246bffbe8c.png

We could win the league and someone would suggest Lee Johnson could have done it better

:kirklol:

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic