*** Aberdeen v Heart Of Midlothian Official Match Thread ***

Masonic

Robbo-Jambo
56 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Why would there be any change?

For there to be change Neilson would have to accept that he has been wrong.

He won't. He has the same character flaw as Levein.

There is NO learning curve for him.

So, will his "boss" speak to him about it??

Not going to happen is it?

This.

Worryingly spot on.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Luckies1874

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Something that bothers me about our formation is that its not unique. We seem to be being carried along by the current that is football formation fads. There is no originality to it... 

Aberdeen play a 343

Hibs play a 343

St Johnstone play a 343

Motherwell play a 343

Livi play a 343

Dundee Utd play a 343

St Mirren play a 343

Why? It seems like a formation that requires much better players than most teams have access to (dynamic midfielders for a start!). I'd much rather play a 433 and have the numbers in midfield. My worry about following the crowd here is that what happens in 3 years when things change again? Do we need to rip things up and start again? I'd much rather establish a ;Hearts way' of playing from U12s up to the first team. If everyone is playing the same way then youth players can more easily make the step up as there is a clear role that they understand which they can step into. For Conor Smith or Scott McGill, how many times have they actually played a 343 at youth level? I'm also right in saying that Naismith doesn't play the same formation that Neilson does, which really begs the question on why our 'A' and 'B' teams aren't singing from the same hymn sheet? 

Fads catch on, it seems like there is no individuality these days and it’s symptomatic of the “worry about the opposition” culture more prevalent in the game.  

How good would it be to see  someone tear up the rule book and play a team based on knowing where they’ll hurt a team?  First thing JJ did when he came back in 2010, and he said it, that Hearts shouldn’t fear anyone home or away. His team played like it and he set them up that way.  3 away wins at Hamilton, Caley and Aberdeen in opening 8 matches. 

Edited by Debut 4

24 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Not on yesterday's performance. 

Good job we are not playing Celtic then 

Hopefully Shankland, Snodgrass and Humphrys will be back. I’d definitely be starting McKay on the bench. Hibs at Parkhead. I reckon 3 points and 3rd will be more or less wrapped up. I’m not overly confident though.

Does anyone actually trust Robbie to change the system accordingly? To be fair to him our home form has been generally good, however, away performances really poor and very predictable.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Must not lose game , worst case scenario is we remain 5pts clear of them after this game 

13 hours ago, OTT said:

You're right actually, apologies! I had it in my head that Hibs were playing a back 3 of Buishiri Porteous and Hanlon/Fish. Likewise Aberdeen McCrorie, Stewart and Scales & Livi, Fitzwater, Obileye and Boyes

In your defence (no pun intended), Goodwin had been playing a back three at Aberdeen, which he's now doing at Dundee United. 

Only since Barry Robson has taken over have Aberdeen been playing a back four.

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Take a draw right now. 

Aye. 👍 

Key game. Presuming hubz will be suitably disposed of by Celtic it's a chance to create a comfortable breathing space that could carry all the way to the finish.

3 hours ago, GC81 said:

In your defence (no pun intended), Goodwin had been playing a back three at Aberdeen, which he's now doing at Dundee United. 

Do you live up that way mate 

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Key game. Presuming hubz will be suitably disposed of by Celtic it's a chance to create a comfortable breathing space that could carry all the way to the finish.

Indeed.  While a point wouldn't be a disaster, a win puts any hopes of Aberdeen reviving a challenge to bed and opens a good gap over Hoobs.

Pretty big game really.  After a tough couple of weeks and the gomeral element in our support getting angsty, chance to send a message we're still best of the rest too.  Hope we grab bull by horns.  They've been good at home, we've been shite away, time to punt that to the kerb.

Interesting to see who's back.

Aberdeen are still pish and their fans will demand they attack us.  Which is good for us as we have the pace to hurt them.

Edited by GBJambo

LochcarronJambo

Real tricky game for us, Aberdeen will prove really difficult up there & if the absentee injuries from the last two games are n or available, can’t see a win

We will be set-up with not losing very much on the mindset. We won't express ourselves on the game, we will fart around with meaningless possession and try to take the sting out of it. We will lose a cheap goal to a set piece. We will then try to get a foot hold on it, the only un-certain thing is if we get a goal back for the point or get suckered into a 2-0 loss.

Its sad but I'm fairly confident that will be how it plays out. I'll be there regardless but its wearing thin.

Bazzas right boot

Beat 2-1.

Aberdeen are decent at home and there isn't much between the sides.

For historicaly two very evenly matched teams, This fixture bizarrely favours the home team very heavily.

Certain folk on here to shit the bed before we win a couple of games again and make 3rd place secure.

The split of fixtures hasn't been great to us, away x2 v Aberdeen,  hibs and Livi before the split.

Being away twice to all your closest rivals and home only once really is a bit shit.

Really shows how daft it is, but we should have them all at home after which should make picking up points post split easier.

Pittodrie is usually a fairly miserable experience all round, can't see that changing unfortunately.

The Old Tolbooth

Three at the back again, mistakes not learned from, 2-0 down before he changes it, and then lose in the end anyway, it's so ****ing predictable!

57 minutes ago, dumpson said:

Pittodrie is usually a fairly miserable experience all round, can't see that changing unfortunately.

It has in last 9 matches.  But it’s easy to forget from the turn of the century up til before the last 9,(only back to 2016)  we were ahead in victories on their patch.  (W 11, D 10, L 8

Add in our home record and you can see why they were starting to get a complex about us.  

Edited by Debut 4

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Beat 2-1.

Aberdeen are decent at home and there isn't much between the sides.

For historicaly two very evenly matched teams, This fixture bizarrely favours the home team very heavily.

Certain folk on here to shit the bed before we win a couple of games again and make 3rd place secure.

The split of fixtures hasn't been great to us, away x2 v Aberdeen,  hibs and Livi before the split.

Being away twice to all your closest rivals and home only once really is a bit shit.

Really shows how daft it is, but we should have them all at home after which should make picking up points post split easier.

I think we will have to go away to Livi if they make the top 6 so we fulfil the 19 home and 19 away games. If we are Home to Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Liv, and away to Rangers, then it will be 20 games at home, 18 away. Not sure how it is decided who else we play away but I'd imagine it is the lowest down team. 

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, GC81 said:

They played a back four against us at Tynecastle when we beat them 5 nil. 

Pasquale for King
On 12/03/2023 at 12:05, OTT said:

You're right actually, apologies! I had it in my head that Hibs were playing a back 3 of Buishiri Porteous and Hanlon/Fish. Likewise Aberdeen McCrorie, Stewart and Scales & Livi, Fitzwater, Obileye and Boyes

They have played at times but usually a 4, not many top teams play with a 3 really and we agree we should play a 4.
Having all our CHs fit except Halkett gives the manager a problem with who to leave out. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

I think we will have to go away to Livi if they make the top 6 so we fulfil the 19 home and 19 away games. If we are Home to Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Liv, and away to Rangers, then it will be 20 games at home, 18 away. Not sure how it is decided who else we play away but I'd imagine it is the lowest down team. 

Probably,  absolute farce that will come about.

Luckies1874
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

Yeah that seems highly likely. I was speaking to the hospitality staff last week and they've been told to prepare for Celtic, Hibs and ANOther (Aberdeen if they are top 6) for post split matches. Means Rangers and one of Livvy or St Mirren away.

Snoddy, Shankland and Humphrys should all be available. Aberdeen are still horse shit. We should’ve won up there last time out when we were down to the bare bones. Missed 2 sitters. 

2-0 Hearts. 3rd sown up!

I think this is a big test for us on Saturday.  Our heads are down after being dumped out the cup.  We have a few injuries to contend with and we are also vulnerable away from home particularly after that Motherwell result.  Saturday is a time for us to stand up and show we are by far the best of the rest.  I'm looking for a big performance and result.  Let's kick on and enjoy the rest of the season and look forward to European group football once again.  

Takeshi kovac
On 12/03/2023 at 11:14, OTT said:

I don't like our formation. I don't like the style of play it promotes. We become too horizontal and end up with a lot of meaningless possession. 

That said, Neilson isn't for turning so I expect another 343 

Zander

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Smith                   Cochrane

Snodgrass Grant

Gino Shankland McKay

I would really rather see:

Zander

Smith Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Snodgrass Devlin Grant

Gino Shankland McKay

Sure we lose the extra CB, but we gain an extra midfielder, and it allows us to play Devlin to break up play and Snodgrass and Grant to get on the ball and look for our front 3. 

That makes far too much sense so I'm sure we will stick to 343

On 12/03/2023 at 12:34, lost in space said:

Why would there be any change?

For there to be change Neilson would have to accept that he has been wrong.

He won't. He has the same character flaw as Levein.

There is NO learning curve for him.

So, will his "boss" speak to him about it??

Not going to happen is it?

For someone incapable of learning, Neilson's record as a manager, especially in league games. is really quite extraordinary.

Where did he learn that?

Watt-Zeefuik
4 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

For someone incapable of learning, Neilson's record as a manager, especially in league games. is really quite extraordinary.

Where did he learn that?

Amazing that a manager whose detractors call him "the tinkerer" somehow never changes anything.

We need to go 4 at the back and come away from this horrid 3-4-3.

Edited by Lambo85

lost in space
23 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Where did he learn that?

Having better players than the other clubs help.  He has a system that works - against poorer teams at Tynecastle. That is why we are 3rd.

His system (if there is one) is shockingly bad, considering the players we have, against better teams at home and against poorer teams away from home. 

Are you happy with our displays, and results, at home against Old Firm and Euro opponents this season?

Are you happy with our away performances against teams below us (eg Motherwell)?

Nerja Jambo
44 minutes ago, Takeshi kovac said:

That makes far too much sense so I'm sure we will stick to 343

Was looking at the La Liga results yesterday and noticed that every team I looked at ( which was not them all but most ), played 4 at the back. That included Barcelona, Bilbao, Real Madrid and Espanyol. Playing 3 at the back with wing backs is old hat.

scott herbertson

3-1 Hearts - we'll coast it

Living the Dream | Cigar Aficionado

Edited by scott herbertson

Watt-Zeefuik
16 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

Was looking at the La Liga results yesterday and noticed that every team I looked at ( which was not them all but most ), played 4 at the back. That included Barcelona, Bilbao, Real Madrid and Espanyol. Playing 3 at the back with wing backs is old hat.

I just checked and Bayern, Spurs, Chelsea, and Leicester all deployed a back 3. EDIT: Add Marseille to that list. Between the top two of Ligue 1, OM played a back 3, PSG played a back 4.

Edited by Led Tasso

Nerja Jambo
32 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I just checked and Bayern, Spurs, Chelsea, and Leicester all deployed a back 3. EDIT: Add Marseille to that list. Between the top two of Ligue 1, OM played a back 3, PSG played a back 4.

Fair enough , but I'll stick with the best league in the World.

Watt-Zeefuik
10 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

Fair enough , but I'll stick with the best league in the World.

Fine, I went and had a look. Harder for me to fine La Liga lineups but Sevilla used a back 3 to thump Fenerbahce in the Europa knockouts.

The back 3 is less common than the back 4 but it's by no means gone. To me the back 4 produces the worst of English Championship-style drudgery football. The back 3 produces more creativity and a better game.

1 hour ago, lost in space said:

Having better players than the other clubs help.  He has a system that works - against poorer teams at Tynecastle. That is why we are 3rd.

His system (if there is one) is shockingly bad, considering the players we have, against better teams at home and against poorer teams away from home. 

Are you happy with our displays, and results, at home against Old Firm and Euro opponents this season?

Are you happy with our away performances against teams below us (eg Motherwell)?

Never happy going home after a defeat.

But I can accept that the gulf between the Old Firm and the rest is insuperable. Occasionally, we get lucky.

And I notice that we've been beaten once by a team below us in about five months. Are you happy with that, because you damn well should be?

6 hours ago, karipidis said:

That'll be ominous given our 1 from 6 at Almondvale and 2 from 9 against them this season. 

Ex member of the SaS

We must dump the slow play from the back, get stuck in and attack, ( not gung ho but a measured forward thinking set up ) My main worry is the state of the pitch and possible weather. Have to remember when we beat them, they were not playing due to the manager, as was shown by Hibs thumping them too. They have picked up a little now Goodwin has gone but still  feel we have enough for a tight win

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

So the vast majority play a 4? 

On 12/03/2023 at 11:33, OTT said:

Yeah, I think the thing to remember is Barrie doesn't like big games. But Aberdeen aren't the OF, its still a big game though. I'm hoping he turns up after yesterdays pathetic showing. 

We absolutely need to recruit in this position though. I'm extremely concerned we committed so much time and energy to bringing in Oda and Kuol, neither of which has made an impact really. Its extremely concerning. 

Not easy to make an impact when the best you get is the ball lumped forward and the worst you make a run along the line as the ball returns to our goalie! Oda has had nothing to work with, Kuol has tried to do it on his own......I blame neither as their game looks like chasing a ball slid behind the defenders, which we rarely seem to do for them! So why invest in these players if you won't feed them? Beats the shit out of me!

1 hour ago, lost in space said:

Your not allowed to say that.......points make prizes, apparently that's all that matters and you are not a proper supporter!

Clerry Jambo
On 12/03/2023 at 12:13, Bull's-eye said:

Doest matter who plays or what formation you play if players make unforced individual errors. You just dont see the top teams giving the ball away needlessly like we do at times.

Focus and intensity are what we seem to lack quite regularly.

Good post. Watching rugby yesterday Scotland done well first half, second half Ireland raised their game, smothered Scotland forcing us into unforced errors. Celtic did similar they were at us right from the whistle and ofcourse their better players take over. We need to be at it but on so many occasions we don’t lay a glove on the oppo

Lonewolflins

Hate to say this but I have no confidence in the team or management to get a result on Saturday , we just never seem up for a battle and fold 

Edited by Lonewolflins
Mistake

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic