Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Sibbick done alright, he made a few good tackles, read some situations well.  He isn't commanding enough though and he has some terrible brain farts.  He's letting balls bounce when he should be getting it safe, he's unaware of what's happening behind him and gets caught ball watching. He needs to be more aggressive and take a leaf out of Halketts book. Keep it simple, don't **** about. His moments of indecision could have cost us, thankfully they didn't. He's not convinced yet it has to be said. 

Think Ur right. 

It's the times when he needs to make quick judgements that he gets into all sorts of trouble 

When he has time on the ball and when facing forward he is actually composed on the ball 

Definetely not a CB for me anyway 

Still would like to see him tried as a cm but in a 4-2-3-1 and not a flat 4 in the middle. Sitting behind the attacking line if that makes sense. That might be his beat position. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

A young player who needs encouragement and support.

Probably at the wrong club and is the current blame hound for the hard of thinking. 

He'd be better away to further his career.

2 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Probably at the wrong club and is the current blame hound for the hard of thinking. 

I agree we need to empty him immediately. 

Gordon Ramsay

Yep. Time to bin him. 

ShortmanRossco
1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Out of his depth at this level. Not got the brain or aggression to play for us. 

Sooner we get someone else in the better 

This.

He looks a cross between horrified and bewildered when the ball comes near him. I'm not one to actively dislike players but for me he sticks out a complete mile as our most incompetent player on a normal day. 

Watt-Zeefuik

He made serious mistakes tonight but there was a moment late where Gnonto had him on an island and Sibbick carefully closed him down and cut out the danger. Gnonto then dived outside the area to get a free kick.

Credit and blame where due.

pettigrewsstylist
5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

So lets stop hanging him out to dry. If your under the cosh and no opponent is near you, you probably need to realise you need to go find them.

21 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Sibbick done alright, he made a few good tackles, read some situations well.  He isn't commanding enough though and he has some terrible brain farts.  He's letting balls bounce when he should be getting it safe, he's unaware of what's happening behind him and gets caught ball watching. He needs to be more aggressive and take a leaf out of Halketts book. Keep it simple, don't **** about. His moments of indecision could have cost us, thankfully they didn't. He's not convinced yet it has to be said. 

Agree too many forget how poor defensively others were initially, eg, Soutar, Zal, even Levien back in the day ,  Soutar couldn’t win a header nor many defensive tackles initially, Zal a bomb scare and Levien prone to errors  Sibbick  only 22 , for me has a lot to learn but has decent qualities about him 

Fort Vallance
27 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

He’s 100% a right back and we should be training him to get better at that position.

Dont think so. I think he's a defensive mid. Think he's a decent footballer but I wouldn't have him anywhere in the back line. 

Gordon Ramsay
5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Good to have this seasons boo boy identified so early in the campaign.

He was shite last season as well. 

Fort Vallance
12 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

He made serious mistakes tonight but there was a moment late where Gnonto had him on an island and Sibbick carefully closed him down and cut out the danger. Gnonto then dived outside the area to get a free kick.

Credit and blame where due.

You're right. But people on here think that fair criticism is turning him into a scapegoat.

I've said it and I'll say it again... Sibbick.. GMS.. Ginnelly should be away and free up wages... We need to sign 3 or 4 players with the Thurs/Sunday schedule we're going to have. 

Churchill Barrier
22 minutes ago, brux said:

Positioning and tracking his man are his big failings, which means he has a lot of work ahead to be a good defender.

We can't afford to let that develop as a first team player. Nowhere near the quality shout we are advertising as if we are the only club in the world to have that as a ideology.  

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Snedds76 said:

I've said it and I'll say it again... Sibbick.. GMS.. Ginnelly should be away and free up wages... We need to sign 3 or 4 players with the Thurs/Sunday schedule we're going to have. 

Not Ginnelly. Clearly has something we can utilise even from the bench

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Snedds76 said:

Ginelly should be getting more game time. The only player at the club with genuine pace

i agree we can move the other 2. But we don’t need to move them to sign more in 

47 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

He’s a bit of an enigma. Sometimes he does so well, facing attackers up, staying on his feet and winning the ball (kind of van dijk like), equally he sometimes has zero awareness and ball watches.

My hope is with a leader next to him in the park and good coaching he could actually end up a very good player

Agreed. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Cynic said:

Looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Maybe he'll improve but wouldn't bet on it.

doesn’t do the basic things at all well. That occasion in the second half when he followed the run into the box but the guy peeled off. 

toby left staring at the ball in no man’s land.

sorry want to like the guy but he’s not good enough

Cut The Crap
38 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

You’re probably a bit harsh on the lad, but fair. Not good enough for Hearts.

28 minutes ago, been here before said:

Good to have this seasons boo boy identified so early in the campaign.

Carried over from last season I think 

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

doesn’t do the basic things at all well. That occasion in the second half when he followed the run into the box but the guy peeled off. 

toby left staring at the ball in no man’s land.

sorry want to like the guy but he’s not good enough

Agree

Watt-Zeefuik
24 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

You're right. But people on here think that fair criticism is turning him into a scapegoat.

There's fair criticism and then there's "he's shite, get rid, never a footballer." Which is not fair criticism, but is all over this thread.

Rewatched the sport scene coverage and they were trying to be kind to sibbick without totally slating him. No positional sense. Did get better at rb but not a rcb 

No Idle Talk
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

There's fair criticism and then there's "he's shite, get rid, never a footballer." Which is not fair criticism, but is all over this thread.

Fair comment.

25 minutes ago, Snedds76 said:

Yup, it seems Ginnelly has morphed into a super sub for some people !!

I think Toby has a lot of positive attributes, he's certainly quick, is decent on the ball and can also carry the ball out of defence.

Positional sense and concentration need development, but can be worked on.

He's probably suffered in his career to date though his versatility but I think he can be a good player for us.

Watt-Zeefuik
29 minutes ago, Snedds76 said:

We have the wages to sign 3-4 players, particularly if we win the return. No need to get rid of those three, who are good squad players at this point.

We do desperately need a new RCB, but we needed that before tonight too.

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

There’s this thing called psychology. 😎

Hope so.

Wonder if poppadom hands kept getting told he was awright 

Unknown user
8 hours ago, andy65 said:

Agree too many forget how poor defensively others were initially, eg, Soutar, Zal, even Levien back in the day ,  Soutar couldn’t win a header nor many defensive tackles initially, Zal a bomb scare and Levien prone to errors  Sibbick  only 22 , for me has a lot to learn but has decent qualities about him 

We don't even need to go that far back. Halkett only really came onto a game last season, now we're crapping it that he's out, out 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Robbie saying sibb did well 🤔🤔

He did do well, second half after Smith came on. But the first half dodgy moments caused by Atkinson set him into panic mode 

To me the situation is this. Sibbick and Atkinson can’t play together. Each needs experience alongside. So it’s one or the other. They are both inexperienced at Hearts level. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He did do well, second half after Smith came on. But the first half dodgy moments caused by Atkinson set him into panic mode 

To me the situation is this. Sibbick and Atkinson can’t play together. Each needs experience alongside. So it’s one or the other. They are both inexperienced at Hearts level. 

Saved me the bother

Smith at RCB and Atkinson at RWB

or

Sibbick at RCB and Smith at RWB

or 

in a back 4 with Smith at RB and a stronger CH beside him

Both are still learning and need some one steady next to them but you can see good traits in both as well as glaring issues that need fixed ……….. that will not happen when they are played together on the right of defence because teams just target them now knowing Atkinson can be beaten with a long ball over his head and Sibbick is often be out of position behind him 

Hilarious thread, both centre half's where hung out to dry last night from the 1st minute, that's the tactics we employed, there was no cover in the centre of the pitch defensively, a bold move by Robbie. Both centre half's where man marking for the majority of the game, Rowles will get sent off playing like that, he made half a dozen last second lunges to sweep the ball away, neither centre half has any European experience at all, that's individually or together. As usual on here, zero credit to the opposition, played the ball quickly on the deck and really tested our defenders, should have scored more in fact, but tough titty.

Sibbick was no better or no worse than Rowles, they're a partnership that isn't our 1st choice anyway. Not the first time this place has hammered a centre half, think Zal, Berra, Halkett, Elvis . . The list goes on and on. 

heartgarfunkel

Hilarious thread, both centre half's where hung out to dry last night from the 1st minute, that's the tactics we employed, there was no cover in the centre of the pitch defensively, a bold move by Robbie. Both centre half's where man marking for the majority of the game, Rowles will get sent off playing like that, he made half a dozen last second lunges to sweep the ball away, neither centre half has any European experience at all, that's individually or together. As usual on here, zero credit to the opposition, played the ball quickly on the deck and really tested our defenders, should have scored more in fact, but tough titty.

Sibbick was no better or no worse than Rowles, they're a partnership that isn't our 1st choice anyway. Not the first time this place has hammered a centre half, think Zal, Berra, Halkett, Elvis . . The list goes on and on. 

Spot on. There’s something troubling about the way certain players are targeted. 

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

you are right there should be recognition that the opposition are a good side.

He can tackle well. If he is the right place he does win the ball back. Last night I think there was 3 clear additional goal scoring opportunities we got away with.

One in particular he was betweek the 18-6 yard box, spotted his runner, but didn't stick on him, watched the ball player on the wing. Cross went back post over his head to the Zurich player. 

Every time we pass along the back 3/4 I want to close my eyes.  Feels like a mistake is coming. Reminds me in some ways of watching Zal in his first season or 2. Just want the ball away from him asap. 

I don't think he knows himself what his best position is. So he is using parts from the positions he has played all together rather than focusing and improving on one. Him and Robbie need to agree where he will be best. Train and develop that position. 

Its good having versatility but needs to be 100% in a posion before covering for others. 

Like a rabbit caught in the headlights last night, lucky the opposition didnt cotton on or they would have targeted him to great effect I fear, they will be looking for his name on the team sheet for the second leg.

Shot of confidence, doesnt believe he will win when challenging for the ball and timid back passes most of the time. Dont like to criticise if possible but in this case I will make an exception. Such a pity when we now have so many good players. 

5 minutes ago, alanbauld said:

Like a rabbit caught in the headlights last night, lucky the opposition didnt cotton on or they would have targeted him to great effect I fear, they will be looking for his name on the team sheet for the second leg.

Shot of confidence, doesnt believe he will win when challenging for the ball and timid back passes most of the time. Dont like to criticise if possible but in this case I will make an exception. Such a pity when we now have so many good players. 

Compared to Atkinson Sibbick is a super star. Sibbick is a young player with limited game experience and his main weakness is positioning…. He can learn that from playing beside a seasoned pro. He is very much a star of the future.  Atkinson on the other hand is of far greater concern, his basic skills as well as decision making are really poor. This is very difficult to improve upon at his age. His positioning is also rank…. But that’s easier to learn and develop. By the end of the season Atkinson would be getting much game time.

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )