• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Facial injury.  Could be done.

The head was straight onto his cheekbone. As mentioned before why risk him after half time in a game you’re walking? 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

The head was straight onto his cheekbone. As mentioned before why risk him after half time in a game you’re walking? 

Bad,  bad tackle that Dupont had no chance to see coming.  He was wrapping but made no attempt to get his head on the side.  Bad luck for France.  He should have been protected but I suppose he would have played vs Italy and might have been injured there instead.

Namibia are far from the worst rabbit team to have played at a world cup.  France are just the complete team.  One of the best teams in the last 30 years of world rugby.

25 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

How unlucky are France with injuries 

Not unlucky enough, in my opinion.

I thought they had won three World Cups tonight, had the winner in the Monaco Grand Prix and had just clinched the Eurovision Song Contest.

This, by the way, is a nation that has chestnut festivals and snail racing.   

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

All I get from that is maxillo.  The upper pus.

They've taken an ex-ray and there are bone fragments visible. Probably best to have said nothing.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
13 hours ago, Victorian said:

Bad,  bad tackle that Dupont had no chance to see coming.  He was wrapping but made no attempt to get his head on the side.  Bad luck for France.  He should have been protected but I suppose he would have played vs Italy and might have been injured there instead.

rugby is now so stupidly physical that you’re liable to get smashed at any time 

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They'll need to get much tougher on dangerous tackling.  The current rules are good but aren't perfect.  That boy came in from an angle and blindsided Dupont.  But it was dangerous by not getting in a good tackling position.  You're right that it's brutally physical but it's also too fast to be safe.  Maybe there needs to be a real deterrent to tackle safer by having zero tolerance.  Long bans for that kind of red card tackle.  

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

20230922_092326.jpg

They've gone more physical in the backs with Steyn and Harris in for Graham and Jones, not that I think Graham or Jones are too lightweight. Let Harris and Steyn deal with the physical battering rams of Tonga, then throw on Graham and Jones when they start to tire.

I like they've got Horne on the bench instead of Price, he offers more off the bench than Price does.

I imagine we'll see a few players rested for Romania, assuming we beat Tonga, maybe Healy will get a start to give Russell a rest for example.

Edited by PortyJambo

3 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

They've gone more physical in the backs with Steyn and Harris in for Graham and Jones, not that I think Graham or Jones are too lightweight. Let Harris and Steyn deal with the physical battering rams of Tonga, then throw on Graham and Jones when they start to tire.

I like they've got Horne on the bench instead of Price, he offers more off the bench than Price does.

I imagine we'll see a few players rested for Romania, assuming we beat Tonga, maybe Healy will get a start to give Russell a rest for example.

Just read the BBC article about the line-up, and can see from the quotes from Townsend that that's the plan

"We're putting out as strong a team as we can. The last 20 to 30 minutes are going to be really important, so to have players like Darcy Graham, Huw Jones and George Horne coming off the bench could be as important as the guys who get to start.

"There will be times when it's tough for us defensively, especially in the wide channels, so having Chris Harris in there can bring out his strengths.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66887456

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Kinghorn is gash :facepalm:

Naw, he's no!

40 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It's frightening to think how the physicality has developed since I was playing, some 30 years ago. Back then, meeting players like Gavin Hastings or Lawrence Dillydallio made me glad I wasn't playing at a high standard as they were big lads. No bigger nor heavier than me, mind you, but they were packaged slightly differently and the thought of running into them on a pitch was scary. Moving through the professional era, I can't help but feel that those guys would have to up their games to get into the first teams against their modern day counterparts. Those guys (i.e. the 2023 versions) are faster, heavier and harder than the 1990s players by absolute miles. Although they're stronger in the legs, arms, shoulders, etc. their skulls are just as fragile as those of players from any previous era. So, if you've got Steve Thompson unable to remember anything about the greatest match in his life - when he won the effing World Cup - current players are going to be in a lot of trouble. 

It's a shame. I love the game and the youngest Knightley is a great wee player who I really enjoy watching. He's decided that when he finishes school, he'll play no more rugby due to the risk of lasting brain injury from collisions. That's not just a shame for me and him but he's a natural successor to Finn Russell, so we'll all lose out :D

Agree that it's the speed of the game that is the bigger problem. They have adopted a good approach but you can see with the amount of moaning by rugby people they have a long way to go. 

Kevin Sinfield for example campaigns brilliantly for MND but defended Farrell smashing into a guys head with his shoulder. 

The Samoans provide further proof that someone needs to have a word with the All Blacks and tell them the Hakka is all very well but cut it down to half the length it is. 

Edited by Tazio

Argentina have been the biggest disappointment of this WC so far , IMO. Still time for them to turn it around and make the quarters with Japan and Chile to come though...just as well they're in the easier half of the draw!

Boffelli the best player on the pitch, but did they mention The Boff plays for Edinburgh? Any slight connection with English rugby and it's mentioned ad nauseum, but barely if ever mentioned if they play for a Scottish team.

3 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Argentina have been the biggest disappointment of this WC so far , IMO. Still time for them to turn it around and make the quarters with Japan and Chile to come though...just as well they're in the easier half of the draw!

Boffelli the best player on the pitch, but did they mention The Boff plays for Edinburgh? Any slight connection with English rugby and it's mentioned ad nauseum, but barely if ever mentioned if they play for a Scottish team.

Good point. It wasn't mentioned at all today.

Though constantly the players playing for English clubs.

Boffelli did it all himself today until the last penalty. 

Good game between Georgia and Portugal at the moment. Portugal leading 18-13 and have been by far the more enterprising team. Georgia are very one-dimensional. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, leginten said:

Good game between Georgia and Portugal at the moment. Portugal leading 18-13 and have been by far the more enterprising team. Georgia are very one-dimensional. 

Should Portugal hang on for win, it surely puts an end to Georgia being invited into 6 Nation's. They are, as you say, one dimensional and utter dugshit.

Jeffros Furios

For a semi professional squad Portugal have been excellent.. but I need the Georgians to win for betting purposes. 

Some good phases of passing .

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Should Portugal hang on for win, it surely puts an end to Georgia being invited into 6 Nation's. They are, as you say, one dimensional and utter dugshit.

People’s memories of them and Romania being decent are based on the pre professional era when if you got a big enough pack that could scrum well it flattered to deceive. Argentina were the same in those days, good scrum and always a good kicker. They’ve moved on from that though and now have very good backs, the Eastern European teams haven’t. 

After a shit start it turned into quite a high standard match.  Good handling especially from Portugal.  Not entirely convinced the posts shot was the right call there.  They could have had an effort or two to set up a drop goal or draw a more central penalty.  

14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

18-18 final score. Portuguese scrum-half sold the jerseys by getting himself needlessly offside at a ruck, Georgia drove over from the line-out resulting from the penalty and then missed the conversion. Portugal then missed a penalty when the clock was red. Ultimately a disappointing outcome.

20 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Last we heard it, born-again Jambo, Pierre Schoemann was leading the chants.

Pierre is a good guy. Met the squad as they were flying out to Paris earlier this year and me a few mates were heading to Berlin. Got a pic with him and he started belting out Hibs are Falling Apart Again.

17 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

"England have arrived at this world cup"  😆.  It's bloody Chile you're playing. 

Never thought it possible but they actually outdo the football commentators for total jingoistic bullshit.

periodictabledancer
Just now, JWL said:

Never thought it possible but they actually outdo the football commentators for total jingoistic bullshit.

Sir Clive - this is how you win world cups. 

Isn't rugby brilliant.