Scottish rugby

Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

I see Townsend has left Russell out of squad for the upcoming internationals. Not eligible for first game v Australia as it's out with international window but could have played in others.

Townsend must be confident to go without the one player we have that can do something different than the play-by-number stuff we produced in last 6 nations but from outside, it does look that he places more store in formulaic dross than off the cuff individualism.

The results will define if he is correct but we surely cannot accept another shit load of negative results, especially with world cup due soon.

Failure to get out group would surely signal the end of Townsend. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I see Townsend has left Russell out of squad for the upcoming internationals. Not eligible for first game v Australia as it's out with international window but could have played in others.

Townsend must be confident to go without the one player we have that can do something different than the play-by-number stuff we produced in last 6 nations but from outside, it does look that he places more store in formulaic dross than off the cuff individualism.

The results will define if he is correct but we surely cannot accept another shit load of negative results, especially with world cup due soon.

Failure to get out group would surely signal the end of Townsend. 

Get back to work you lazy sod ! 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It’s never felt right between Townsend and Russell. And as time goes on, Russell does seem more and more high maintenance - like a kid who is always going to step out of line eventually.

Shame because on his day he’s a quality player

Is Hogg back? Those two must have really taken the piss.

Oh , I walked past Townsend at the Kevin Bridges gig. He's not very big .

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is Hogg back? Those two must have really taken the piss.

Oh , I walked past Townsend at the Kevin Bridges gig. He's not very big .

Yeah, Hogg is in there. Kind of felt like Hogg stepping out of line was more serious for Townsend than Russell. Discipline waning and, most likely, the Townsend cycle coming to an end 

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yeah, Hogg is in there. Kind of felt like Hogg stepping out of line was more serious for Townsend than Russell. Discipline waning and, most likely, the Townsend cycle coming to an end 

Good. They should never have sacked the big man.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Good. They should never have sacked the big man.

It feels like we’ve kind of wasted a quality generation. Don’t get me wrong, there have been some great results and performances user Townsend but it’s never sustained and it’s not really delivered anything. And there’s no real momentum at the moment 

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It feels like we’ve kind of wasted a quality generation. Don’t get me wrong, there have been some great results and performances user Townsend but it’s never sustained and it’s not really delivered anything. And there’s no real momentum at the moment 

Just when you think we'll do something, we fall flat on our face. Been would have taken us to a higher level, about that, I have no doubt.

Malinga the Swinga
42 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Get back to work you lazy sod ! 

Well, luckily I have day off. Be back soon though, trying to ensure that UK & Scottish GDP increases and we are all better off, even the independence supporters.

Kinghorn shat the bed in Argentina - will never be anything more than a bang average test 10.

Townsend is an egotistical fud at times - happy to spite himself and the rest of us - I wouldn't be surprised if Russell announced his retirement.

The thing that most annoys me about Townsend - apart from his ego and arrogance - is he cried like a bairn when Matt Williams ended his career and here he is doing the same to a player who is more talented and younger than he was when he got canned.

Townsend is a creepy gawd botherer who doesn't like players like Russell.

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just when you think we'll do something, we fall flat on our face. Been would have taken us to a higher level, about that, I have no doubt.

We have South Africa and Ireland in world cup and, if I'm being honest, cannot see Townsend getting us out if group.

Players look stifled under his coaching, particularly the backs, and will be interesting to see what we look like in coming games.

Blair has Edinburgh playing some decent stuff ATM, and Townsend would be stupid to try and curtail it, but then again, that's his style.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, briever said:

Kinghorn shat the bed in Argentina - will never be anything more than a bang average test 10.

Townsend is an egotistical fud at times - happy to spite himself and the rest of us - I wouldn't be surprised if Russell announced his retirement.

The thing that most annoys me about Townsend - apart from his ego and arrogance - is he cried like a bairn when Matt Williams ended his career and here he is doing the same to a player who is more talented and younger than he was when he got canned.

I don’t feel like Russell is necessarily innocent in all this either though 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t feel like Russell is necessarily innocent in all this either though 

I am sure he isn't, but Townsend needs to phone up Alex Ferguson and get some advice on managing players - of course his aforementioned ego would never allow that.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We have South Africa and Ireland in world cup and, if I'm being honest, cannot see Townsend getting us out if group.

Players look stifled under his coaching, particularly the backs, and will be interesting to see what we look like in coming games.

Blair has Edinburgh playing some decent stuff ATM, and Townsend would be stupid to try and curtail it, but then again, that's his style.

Nah, we’re not getting out of that group, sadly. Ireland will be the crunch game and you just know that they’ll turn up 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, briever said:

I am sure he isn't, but Townsend needs to phone up Alex Ferguson and get some advice on managing players - of course his aforementioned ego would never allow that.

Ferguson was quite ruthless at binning players who pissed him off 😬

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Ferguson was quite ruthless at binning players who pissed him off 😬

And players with a touch of genius like Cantona (Russell )?

I P Knightley
13 minutes ago, briever said:

I find it unusual that Townsend won't give Russell support and more chances. It may be the memory has played tricks on me but I remember Townsend as a mercurial, sometimes brilliant, player who could create something out of nothing but could also, equally, be humpty. Sometimes I believed that his mistakes were due to him thinking on a higher level than the players around him. It's so similar to Russell.

Hogg is removed from captaincy which I believe is a good thing. Replacing him with M'bawsa Ritchie is also good - he's no nonsense & reliable and, most importantly, a forward :D

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I find it unusual that Townsend won't give Russell support and more chances. It may be the memory has played tricks on me but I remember Townsend as a mercurial, sometimes brilliant, player who could create something out of nothing but could also, equally, be humpty. Sometimes I believed that his mistakes were due to him thinking on a higher level than the players around him. It's so similar to Russell.

Hogg is removed from captaincy which I believe is a good thing. Replacing him with M'bawsa Ritchie is also good - he's no nonsense & reliable and, most importantly, a forward :D

Toonie was indeed that type of player - but what toonie doesn't like is Russell has a personality, likes to laugh and doesn't think the sport is more important than life itself.

I think Ritchie was always destined for that - he just needs to stay fit.  Hogg needs to focus on not disappearing up his hoop - his new hairstyle suggests he's 90% of the way there already.

Jeffros Furios
33 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well, luckily I have day off. Be back soon though, trying to ensure that UK & Scottish GDP increases and we are all better off, even the independence supporters.

Not good enough 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
24 minutes ago, briever said:

Cantona never challenged him. Stam/Ince/Van Nistelrooy/Keane did - and it was offski

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Cantona never challenged him. Stam/Ince/Van Nistelrooy/Keane did - and it was offski

If Ferguson had played hard ball with Cantona he would certainly have stood up to the boss.  Ferguson knew the value of maverick geniuses and was rewarded.

Thunder and Lightning
28 minutes ago, briever said:

Russel is an excellent player, he is far removed from a genius that can be likened to Cantona. 

1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Russel is an excellent player, he is far removed from a genius that can be likened to Cantona. 

I disagree.

Thunder and Lightning
Just now, briever said:

I disagree.

Fair enough. Hope he proves you right when and if he gets the chance. 

9 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Fair enough. Hope he proves you right when and if he gets the chance. 

You should have said you haven't followed his career.

Pasquale for King

Townsend has regressed badly in the kart couple of years, players clearly don’t respect him. Last throw of the dice for him in these next five months. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Townsend has regressed badly in the kart couple of years, players clearly don’t respect him. Last throw of the dice for him in these next five months. 

We've got the RWC in a year, where he can fail to qualify again.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Vern, not Been.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, briever said:

We've got the RWC in a year, where he can fail to qualify again.

Another new man required, a lot of that going around in EH11-12 and Oriam. 

Toonie is such a disingenuous ####, apparently Russell has to find form - his form has been excellent and he's kicking well for goal - yet he's picked Thompson who has played 60mins for the warriors this season.

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Vern, not Been.

I've been racking brain since your post trying to think who Been was🙂.

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, briever said:

You should have said you haven't followed his career.

Oh do take a day off. Its quite obvious what I mean. You don't have to act the arse on every thread. 

14 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Oh do take a day off. Its quite obvious what I mean. You don't have to act the arse on every thread. 

It's what he does.

Thunder and Lightning
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

It's what he does.

😂 Fair enough, must be something lacking to be such a constant bore. 

He is now filed in the point at and laugh folder. 

Just now, Thunder and Lightning said:

😂 Fair enough, must be something lacking to be such a constant bore. 

He is now filed in the point at and laugh folder. 

I wouldn't do that. He will enjoy the attention.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, briever said:

Toonie was indeed that type of player - but what toonie doesn't like is Russell has a personality, likes to laugh and doesn't think the sport is more important than life itself.

I think Ritchie was always destined for that - he just needs to stay fit.  Hogg needs to focus on not disappearing up his hoop - his new hairstyle suggests he's 90% of the way there already.

I've not noticed his latest hair. Has be bought some more?

48 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I've not noticed his latest hair. Has be bought some more?

It does appear to be growing at a remarkable rate.

1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

He does though.

It’s like a hobby for him.

At least a 96 year-old dead woman is now getting some respite from his obnoxious behaviour.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I wouldn't do that. He will enjoy the attention.

That’s for sure, John.  👍

5 minutes ago, IMac said:

Got to hope for 4 losses and Townsend gets binned. Otherwise the world cup isn't going to be worth watching.

Who comes in if that happens?

Malinga the Swinga

I see Hogg not happy at captaincy being taken away from him. Hopefully Townsend had word in private with Hogg before announcing Jamie Ritchie as replacement, although knowing Townsend, no guarantee of that.

For an international coach, Townsend seems to be a petty individual who puts himself before team.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I see Hogg not happy at captaincy being taken away from him. Hopefully Townsend had word in private with Hogg before announcing Jamie Ritchie as replacement, although knowing Townsend, no guarantee of that.

For an international coach, Townsend seems to be a petty individual who puts himself before team.

Played that way anaw. But... He's the gaffer and personally, I think they shouldn't have to justify their decision. Shouldn't is a difficult position nowadays, with these billy big baws.

On 19/10/2022 at 18:19, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It feels like we’ve kind of wasted a quality generation. 

We have!!

Townsend is only in a job due to results V England.

I look back on the Cotter decision and think "what if..."

A Boy Named Crow
I P Knightley
On 19/10/2022 at 19:07, briever said:

I've just seen his hairdo on the Chiefs game. What a state! How old is he?

He's 30, but to be fair to the wee Hawick hoot he's been losing his hair since he was 21.

He must have spent at least 3 summer holidays in hair trans camp.