Scottish rugby

Malinga the Swinga

10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’m not watching the Wales game, but have had a wee look at the score line, so far.

I’m guessing that Wales are only winning because the referee is as bent as a nine-bob note?

Not IMO, but hey ho.  It would be a much closer game if the Portuguese had their shooting boots on.  Ah well.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

Wales were lucky to get the bonus point from that game. Portugal were impressive and could easily have scored more than they did. Don't think they can have any complaints about the red card, boy did well catching the ball but can't put out a straight boot to a Welsh face when in the air...even though booting a Welsh player in the pus is very tempting!

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Not IMO, but hey ho.  It would be a much closer game if the Portuguese had their shooting boots on.  Ah well.

I was sort of being sarcastic, Uly..  

There were some comments on here, earlier in the tournament, suggesting that the refs were bent and that they gave preference to the higher ranked nations and the ones who were classed as ‘proper rugby teams’.

57 minutes ago, Morgan said:

There were some comments on here, earlier in the tournament, suggesting that the refs were bent and that they gave preference to the higher ranked nations and the ones who were classed as ‘proper rugby teams’.

I hear what you're saying.  I was surprised not to see any "bent ref" comments today.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

It's vaguely happening again right now. It's a bit like the debate in Scotland. Do the refs cheat to favour the old firm or is it unconscious bias? Favourable decisions 100% benefit the big nations though.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's vaguely happening again right now. It's a bit like the debate in Scotland. Do the refs cheat to favour the old firm or is it unconscious bias? Favourable decisions 100% benefit the big nations though.

New Zealand last night was a curious exception. They got nothing.

Agree though in general.

Looking at this game with Scotland playing Tonga next Sunday. I think it's essential the line out is good. But although the commentators are talking about the breakdown, Scotland's speed of attack will be hard to stop. 

Recorded the Wales v Portugal and Tonga v Ireland games. Had to fast forward most of it as both Wales and Tonga were shite! Portugal played well though what I saw.

52 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Recorded the Wales v Portugal and Tonga v Ireland games. Had to fast forward most of it as both Wales and Tonga were shite! Portugal played well though what I saw.

IMO Portugal were much better than I expected.  With Tonga it's hard to tell.  I want to think that Tonga aren't that bad and that Ireland simply beat the bejaysus out of them, but I'm a tad biased.  For context, that was Tonga's worst World Cup defeat in 20 years, and although it wasn't anywhere as bad as the hammerings they took off the All Blacks in '03 and England in '99, most pundits would argue that the Tongan national team was a much weaker and more amateurish outfit in those days.

6 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Question is, who do we want to win out of Ireland/SA next week? With SA lack of bonus point last week I'm swaying more with an Ireland win.

What happens after?

Scotland will beat Tonga next week, but by how much?  As for the other pool game next weekend, who knows?  For me, South Africa are the world champions and the best team in the world, regardless of what the rankings say.  As for an Ireland win, I'll believe it when I see it.

8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

IMO Portugal were much better than I expected.  With Tonga it's hard to tell.  I want to think that Tonga aren't that bad and that Ireland simply beat the bejaysus out of them, but I'm a tad biased.  For context, that was Tonga's worst World Cup defeat in 20 years, and although it wasn't anywhere as bad as the hammerings they took off the All Blacks in '03 and England in '99, most pundits would argue that the Tongan national team was a much weaker and more amateurish outfit in those days.

Ireland too good for them but was still surprised. SA v Ireland going to be some game also Scotland v Ireland! 

8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

What happens after?

Scotland will beat Tonga next week, but by how much?  As for the other pool game next weekend, who knows?  For me, South Africa are the world champions and the best team in the world, regardless of what the rankings say.  As for an Ireland win, I'll believe it when I see it.

Ireland can beat SA. I wasn't that impressed with them against Scotland. We played well but lost due to our own errors. Ireland are a formidable team, just don't play O'Mahony!

Malinga the Swinga
8 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Question is, who do we want to win out of Ireland/SA next week? With SA lack of bonus point last week I'm swaying more with an Ireland win.

We want Ireland to be put through South African mincer and be thoroughly trounced. A few injuries to Irish front liners would be welcome as well.

Scotland win rest of games including v Ireland and that will do nicely.

35 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Ireland can beat SA. I wasn't that impressed with them against Scotland. We played well but lost due to our own errors. Ireland are a formidable team, just don't play O'Mahony!

Having watched Ireland last night, I’m tempted to believe they can and will beat South Africa. They’ve been absolutely ruthless so far and their error count is ridiculously low. One botched line-out and a couple of passes that Lowe failed to take, and that was about it. I expected a far closer game.

I think Scotland have to hope for a S. Africa win and then play out of their skins against the Irish. Not convinced we’ll be matching the other two in terms of scores against Tonga and Romania. 

16 minutes ago, leginten said:

Having watched Ireland last night, I’m tempted to believe they can and will beat South Africa. They’ve been absolutely ruthless so far and their error count is ridiculously low. One botched line-out and a couple of passes that Lowe failed to take, and that was about it. I expected a far closer game.

I think Scotland have to hope for a S. Africa win and then play out of their skins against the Irish. Not convinced we’ll be matching the other two in terms of scores against Tonga and Romania. 

Yeah, if Ireland beat SA then we somehow beat Ireland, all three will probably end up with 3 wins and 1 defeat, but can't see Scotland having a better points difference than the other two, so Scotland would be the ones to miss out.

For that reason, a SA win over Ireland is probably the result we want if Scotland are going to have a chance of making the QF's 

Romania are a little lucky to even be at the WC, Spain got the last European qualifying spot but were then disqualified for fielding an ineligible player.

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Possible record score in this game.

I’d be very surprised. New Zealand beat Japan 145-17. And Australia had a winning margin of 142 over Namibia. 

9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Possible record score in this game.

Possible century, I'd say.  I know it's only Romania, but SA making a statement today.

42 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’d be very surprised. New Zealand beat Japan 145-17. And Australia had a winning margin of 142 over Namibia. 

I could be wrong but remember that as being the day when Gavin Hastings set a record for points scored in an international test match only for a Kiwi to beat him within a couple of hours. It may have been in the days of a 4 point try as well.

Just now, I P Knightley said:

I could be wrong but remember that as being the day when Gavin Hastings set a record for points scored in an international test match only for a Kiwi to beat him within a couple of hours. It may have been in the days of a 4 point try as well.

That would be our game against the Ivory Coast I seem to remember. 

I know Romania didn't have a chance in this game, but their tackling and defence in general has been dreadful. I'll be disappointed if Scotland don't also put up 70/80 points on them considering the players we have that can score.

Impressive watching some of the back play from the Saffers but not a great watch as a game. I’m looking forward to the Australia - Fiji game as it should be quite open from both teams. 

Fiji the better team so far. I thought the Australians were a little lucky to not get penalised for playing the ball on the floor just before they scored their try.

Just now, PortyJambo said:

Fiji the better team so far. I thought the Australians were a little lucky to not get penalised for playing the ball on the floor just before they scored their try.

Indeed. Even if he didn’t actually touch the ball, he’s lying on his back attempting to engage with another player and/or the ball. Seems like an infringement of Law 13 to me.

2 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Not losing 3 line outs in a row.

Deserved win for Fiji. Not a bad month or so for them, beating England for first time ever and beating Australia for first time since 1954. Could have been a great month if they'd caught that pass for a try in the last second against Wales last week.

8 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Enjoyed that, looking forward to Eddie's comments.

Just thinking the same, he'll be spewing😂

29 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Enjoyed that, looking forward to Eddie's comments.

Said Fiji deserved to win and just what we all saw that they won the breakdown.

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Said Fiji deserved to win and just what we all saw that they won the breakdown.

yeah, surprisingly magnanimous in defeat. Best have a HIA done, he's clearly had a dunt on the heid.