Scottish rugby

Malinga the Swinga

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Just watched highlights. I couldn’t see if Ireland's second try was grounded!

I thought it was and I also thought that Furlong's should have been awarded. There was downward pressure on the ball and, unless they changed the laws, that should be a try - even though it squirted back.

Standard of match officiating has been as bad as I can remember. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

Mikey1874
10 hours ago, merrymac said:

No way the ref could tell from where he was if the ball was grounded .i watched a number of replays and couldn’t tell

He was desperate to award it though 

The obstruction by the 2 Irish players 19 and 5 was pretty obvious. The game allows regular foul play and fair play for Ireland playing that way. Big part of their success.

Edited by Mikey1874

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The obstruction by the 2 Irish players 19 and 5 was pretty obvious. The game allows regular foul play and fair play for Ireland playing that way. Big part of their success.

19 and 5 there only intention there was to block/obstruct the Scotland defenders. For me the TMO should be picking that up.

Seymour M Hersh
39 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

19 and 5 there only intention there was to block/obstruct the Scotland defenders. For me the TMO should be picking that up.

How did the ref know 100% (because that's what we were told they had to be against the French) that ball was grounded? He cannot possibly have seen that from his angle. 

indianajones
40 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That was an American Football move. 

I know rugby is trying to grow and appeal to a wider audience but it's not doing a very good job at it.

Mikey1874
22 minutes ago, indianajones said:

That was an American Football move. 

I know rugby is trying to grow and appeal to a wider audience but it's not doing a very good job at it.

20240317_121723.jpg

merrymac
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How did the ref know 100% (because that's what we were told they had to be against the French) that ball was grounded? He cannot possibly have seen that from his angle. 

My thoughts exactly at the point he blows for a try a Scottish tackler is obscuring his view . There is no possible way he sees the ball grounded.

he was absolutely desperate to give the try though. I didn’t notice the obstruction at first but it was as clear as day when you see it back 

TMO being selective as usual .There is no consistency from game to game .Certain teams always seem to benefit .

Seaside Dave

Good win for Ireland. Another 6n in the bag. 😁😁

Spellczech
5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I immediately said held up again but he cannot say that a third time in Dublin. 

Malinga the Swinga
17 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I thought it was and I also thought that Furlong's should have been awarded. There was downward pressure on the ball and, unless they changed the laws, that should be a try - even though it squirted back.

Standard of match officiating has been as bad as I can remember. 

Perhaps because the referees and tmo's now consider themselves part of the entertainment. Used to be you never had a clue who they were, now they are encouraged to ref using their personalities to get through game.

Referees in modern sport are hopeless 

Mikey1874

Only changes since World Cup Italy from 11th to 8th in World Rankings and Australia and Wales swap places. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Malinga the Swinga

If you want a laugh, see Sam Warburton's team of tournament. He's managed to squeak a Welsh player in there but no Scots made it.

I P Knightley
19 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If you want a laugh, see Sam Warburton's team of tournament. He's managed to squeak a Welsh player in there but no Scots made it.

I think he popped in a Welshie with a bit of tongue in cheek so he'd have something slightly contentious for the 'banter' with John Barclay. He certainly didn't put up a fight in the discussion.

Bungalow Bill

Any fellow Scotland season pass holders received their renewal for the season ahead. £605 for 7 games, I’m out. My seat was previously classed as bronze. 

132goals1958
45 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

Any fellow Scotland season pass holders received their renewal for the season ahead. £605 for 7 games, I’m out. My seat was previously classed as bronze. 

A member of my bowling club is also giving up their season pass. Apparently category 1  is just shy of £100 per game. Considering all games are not high profile opposition that’s way too much. Presumably hoping to claw back some of the 10.5 million deficit from last accounting year. Wouldn’t consider paying that price but hopefully for those at the top they’ve gauged the demand realistically.

Bungalow Bill
1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

A member of my bowling club is also giving up their season pass. Apparently category 1  is just shy of £100 per game. Considering all games are not high profile opposition that’s way too much. Presumably hoping to claw back some of the 10.5 million deficit from last accounting year. Wouldn’t consider paying that price but hopefully for those at the top they’ve gauged the demand realistically.

Yeah, category 3 is £86 a game. I don’t like rugby enough to pay £605 a year. If Hearts are playing the same day I never go to the rugby. The rugby has been dire the majority of the time I’ve had the pass. 

Malinga the Swinga

Best performance from woman's team for years but they lost 15-5 to France. Last play try cost them bonus point although both sides missed kicks at goal. 

They should beat Italy and Ireland if they play like they did today.

Mikey1874
On 30/03/2024 at 08:14, Bungalow Bill said:

Price for 2023/24 was £290.

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

:eek:

£310 to watch Ireland. Probably fair enough.

Ulysses
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

£310 to watch Ireland. Probably fair enough.

Was that last year or this?  £290 to £605 seems a bit unreal.  So surely not?

Mikey1874
54 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Was that last year or this?  £290 to £605 seems a bit unreal.  So surely not?

Bronze or category 3 prices. What people quoted. To be fair its only £600. The £5 is the booking fee.

£290 was 4 games. Italy, France World Cup warm up. France, England 6 Nations. £72.50 each though not really. More like £55 warm up. £90 each 6 Nations.

£600 is 7 games. 4 Autumn Fiji, South Africa, Portugal, Australia. Italy, Ireland, Wales 6 Nations. £86 per game. Or £50 Fiji, Portugal. £100 each the others.

Edited by Mikey1874

Ulysses

Bronze or category 3 prices. What people quoted. To be its only £600. The £5 is the booking fee.

£290 was 4 games. Italy, France World Cup warm up. France, England 6 Nations. £72.50 each though not really. More like £55 warm up. £90 6 Nations.

£600 is 7 games. 4 Autumn Fiji, South Africa, Portugal, Australia. Italy, Ireland, Wales 6 Nations. £86 per game. Or £50 Fiji, Portugal. £100 the others.

I actually don't know what we charge.  Our equivalent is 4 autumn games (Fiji, Argentina, NZ, Australia) plus the Six Nations 2025 (England, France).  I can't imagine they'll be cheap.

Bungalow Bill
7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Bronze or category 3 prices. What people quoted. To be fair its only £600. The £5 is the booking fee.

£290 was 4 games. Italy, France World Cup warm up. France, England 6 Nations. £72.50 each though not really. More like £55 warm up. £90 each 6 Nations.

£600 is 7 games. 4 Autumn Fiji, South Africa, Portugal, Australia. Italy, Ireland, Wales 6 Nations. £86 per game. Or £50 Fiji, Portugal. £100 each the others.

£290 was for 5 games, we played Georgia too. 

£290 for 5 games, now £605 for 7 games - you have to include the £5 booking fee, you can’t ignore that. That’s a scandalous price increase. 

PortyJambo

It's European club competition's last 16 games this weekend, with Glasgow away to Harlequins in the Champions Cup and Edinburgh home to Bayonne in the 2nd tier Challenge Cup. Glasgow may be doing better this season than Edinburgh, but I reckon they've got the tougher game to get through, and Edinburgh have a decent change against Bayonne (who aren't doing great in France's Top 14 this season).

Glasgow's game is tomorrow night, with Edinburgh's on Saturday night. Glasgow's will be on TNT Sports, and Edinburgh's is on ViaPlay. 

Seymour M Hersh
44 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Good start by Glasgow.

Then the ref took over. I ****ing despise that wee shite Smith. 

Dawnrazor
10 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

🤣 He is an objectionable wee prick right enough!!

Hopefully Edinburgh get on better tomorrow.

Ulysses
14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Once I see Scottish people mention the word "ref" I know I don't even have to look at the scoreline.  :whistling: 

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Once I see Scottish people mention the word "ref" I know I don't even have to look at the scoreline.  :whistling: 

🤣 It's pretty good game, but, the REALLY big game this weekend is Myerscough College v Belgium in the World Youth Rugby Tournament tomorrow in Portugal where wee Dawnrazor is playing😎😎

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

🤣 It's pretty good game, but, the REALLY big game this weekend is Myerscough College v Belgium in the World Youth Rugby Tournament tomorrow in Portugal where wee Dawnrazor is playing😎😎

Of course.  Just like last week's big game was a Division 10 challenge cup game in Terenure, which was regrettably lost. :whistling: 

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Of course.  Just like last week's big game was a Division 10 challenge cup game in Terenure, which was regrettably lost. :whistling: 

It's funny how the really big games are not on Tele!

I think wee Dawnrazor's game is on a YouTube live stream so I might be having an easy morning tomorrow.

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's funny how the really big games are not on Tele!

I think wee Dawnrazor's game is on a YouTube live stream so I might be having an easy morning tomorrow.

I don't think young Mr U's games get anywhere near YouTube.  He probably wouldn't tell me if they did. :laugh:  :eek: 

I’ve just read about the red card rule change that is getting voted on in May. If you have a player red carded he will be replaced by a substitute 20 minutes after the offence. So the player remains carded but his position will be taken by another player. Sounds a bit mad but then you think about how many matches have been ruined as a spectacle in the last year or so since the tackle laws changed. 

PortyJambo
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just read about the red card rule change that is getting voted on in May. If you have a player red carded he will be replaced by a substitute 20 minutes after the offence. So the player remains carded but his position will be taken by another player. Sounds a bit mad but then you think about how many matches have been ruined as a spectacle in the last year or so since the tackle laws changed. 

I think it's a good change. As you say, too many games have been ruined by a team being reduced to 14 men early on, and often for a player being sent off for an offence that, although a red card offence by the rules, was not malicious but just bad timing or poor technique. I can understand them wanting to reduce injuries, but the games are suffering for it.

Spellczech
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Very few rugby matches remain a spectacle after a red card. Ireland beating us a year ago was an exception - Scotland are reliable for that sort of thing at least...

Seymour M Hersh
17 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Shove your whistle where the sun don't shine! :oohmatron:

Dawnrazor

Congratulations Edinburgh.

I missed most of the second half as the bloody weather stopped the signal.

A good win.

PortyJambo

A new tournament, scheduled to start in 2028, has been added to the calendar, a Club Rugby World Cup...because why not add another tournament, not like there's enough already :rolleyes:

The European Champions Cup will stop at the quarter-finals every 4th year, with the 8 remaining teams going to the new competition, along with 6 teams from Super Rugby, and 2 probably from Japan. 

It says the 16 teams in the tournament will likely compete in a knockout format over 4 weeks. Immediately I can see that might not go down to well to teams from both hemispheres when they'll have to travel half way around the world with 8 teams only then playing 1 game before heading home.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/08/rugby-union-first-club-world-cup-june-2028

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Blair Kinghorn ripping it up for Toulouse.

Hopefully Toulouse will win the whole thing. As long as it isn't Leinster

I P Knightley
18 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Blair Kinghorn ripping it up for Toulouse.

Fair play to him. I must admit having had doubts that he'd get to make much of an impact in a squad where French internationals were established in his position(s). They're even letting him kick the baw.