Scottish rugby

Malinga the Swinga

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Impossible to be more unbearable than Ireland. At least England got to semi final of world cup, Ireland choked in quarter finals again (never won a quarter final) yet still believe they are best team in world. Thank goodness they are bottlers.

World ranked number one team believe they are the best team in the world.

What a shocker that is. 😄 

Edit: not ranked number one anymore, number two isn't too shabby though.

Edited by cazzyy

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Ooooffftt O'mahony sinbinned!

It really was that blatant that the ref had no option. About feckin time that prick was sin binned.

EH11_2NL

England are transformed this week. Not giving Oirland an inch. 

1 minute ago, JWL said:

It really was that blatant that the ref had no option. About feckin time that prick was sin binned.

Second only to Owen Farrell in the current list of rugby wankers

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, EH11_2NL said:

England are transformed this week. Not giving Oirland an inch. 

They deserve to win.

EH11_2NL
7 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

They deserve to win.

Aye. Haven't let the Irish get any rhythm at all. 

Mikey1874

That's the 6th game with losing bonus point plus the draw.

Wins by 3, 1, 4, 2, 2, 1 points

At least it was won with a kick rather than a referee decision. 

Mikey1874

Just the 39 points win over Ireland needed by Scotland to catch them. 

Rudi Skacel

The best scottish team for years are also the biggest bottlers. 

nearly threw away the win v wales after a big lead. No BP

threw away a win v france

easy win v england though declined to go for a bp when the game was won

threw away a win v italy. 

Mikey1874

No one still able to win Grand Slam (edited) twice in a row. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

No one still able to win Six Nations twice in a row. 

Take it you mean Grand Slams? Thing is, if we win next week and capture a Triple Crown, Townsend will be hailed as a master tactician.

Mikey1874
6 minutes ago, JWL said:

Take it you mean Grand Slams? Thing is, if we win next week and capture a Triple Crown, Townsend will be hailed as a master tactician.

Yes, cheers

The Mighty Thor

Just seen the score.

😂

Townsend. Absolutely ruined the golden generation. 

periodictabledancer

I'm not too seriously into rugby but feck me, what a catastrophe that was. A massive Scots crowd, easily 10 000,  literally walking out.  with a lot of chat about sacking GT ( not happening) to no chat at all.  So many Scots fans leaving without any intention of saying "thanks". 

Now reverting to wooden spoon contenders next season.

Three more years of this shit from Townsend. 

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

I'm not too seriously into rugby but feck me, what a catastrophe that was. A massive Scots crowd, easily 10 000,  literally walking out.  with a lot of chat about sacking GT ( not happening) to no chat at all.  So many Scots fans leaving without any intention of saying "thanks". 

Now reverting to wooden spoon contenders next season.

Three more years of this shit from Townsend. 

It would take an interesting combination of results and 5th is more likely. But the wooden spoon is still on this season.

Edited by Mikey1874

All roads lead to Gorgie

So Scotland have fecked up a great chance of winning the six nations. Thanks for that Gregor 😠

redjambo
57 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

So Scotland have fecked up a great chance of winning the six nations. Thanks for that Gregor 😠

My take as well.

Ulysses
5 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Brilliant. Well done England. Totally deserved.

It was a well-deserved win, even if I found it sore to watch, especially at the end.  In reality, England should have had it wrapped up earlier, and the margin didn't do justice to their performance.

periodictabledancer
11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

It would take an interesting combination of results and 5th is more likely. But the wooden spoon is still on this season.

Well that's really cheered me up this morning. 

Funnily enough , the weather here is awful today so the wife suggested we go shopping. I said, for what ?

She said, a wooden spoon ? 

🙁

Edited by periodictabledancer

John Findlay

Sport is sport.

Both Ireland and Scotland had bad days at the office yesterday. It wasn't a lot to do with either of the coaches of Ireland and Scotland, and everything to do with the players having below par performances.

England will be the world champs in waiting.....again, and Scotland will be the worst rugby team in the world....... again.

periodictabledancer
17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Sport is sport.

Both Ireland and Scotland had bad days at the office yesterday. It wasn't a lot to do with either of the coaches of Ireland and Scotland, and everything to do with the players having below par performances.

England will be the world champs in waiting.....again, and Scotland will be the worst rugby team in the world....... again.

Scotland had another "bad day at the office" , following on from the Wales debacle. And then there's the poor tactics in the France game. 

Getting scudded by Italy , a team riddled with handling errors of their own is quite  way to surrender your interest with a game to play. 

And Townsends post match comments are genuinely hilarious given that backdrop. 

Bleak times ahead. 

Nelly Terraces
1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Scotland had another "bad day at the office" , following on from the Wales debacle. And then there's the poor tactics in the France game. 

Getting scudded by Italy , a team riddled with handling errors of their own is quite  way to surrender your interest with a game to play. 

And Townsends post match comments are genuinely hilarious given that backdrop. 

Bleak times ahead. 

Yeah, it's not looking good going forward, I think yesterdays debacle (2nd half was probably the worst rugby I've seen anywhere in years) will have a long term detrimental effect on the side, essentially they've blown the best opportunity any of them will have to win the 6 Nations as we should be going to Ireland who will be on a downer after their own defeat & we'd have nothing to lose, but now I wouldn't be surprised if we get an absolute doing.

The self belief & confidence has been totally sucked out of this team, yesterday was a huge psychological blow, and as I said yesterday, we haven't progressed at all in 10 years. It's back to square one. Townsend is a really nice guy, but his time is done & hopefully he'll decide after next Saturday to step down from his role. 

Mikey1874
17 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Yeah, it's not looking good going forward, I think yesterdays debacle (2nd half was probably the worst rugby I've seen anywhere in years) will have a long term detrimental effect on the side, essentially they've blown the best opportunity any of them will have to win the 6 Nations as we should be going to Ireland who will be on a downer after their own defeat & we'd have nothing to lose, but now I wouldn't be surprised if we get an absolute doing.

The self belief & confidence has been totally sucked out of this team, yesterday was a huge psychological blow, and as I said yesterday, we haven't progressed at all in 10 years. It's back to square one. Townsend is a really nice guy, but his time is done & hopefully he'll decide after next Saturday to step down from his role. 

Urgently need a new captain too. The fun experiment hit reality yesterday. Watch Darge post match interview if you aren't sure.

Its all very well making excuses but that ignores the point being is to wn. This Scotland team seem to shrink in adversity. On top they can be brilliant as in first halfs v Wales and mostly Italy. But when it starts to go wrong it becomes 10, 20, 30 minutes of going wrong and that demonstrates fundamental weakness and a lack of problem solving. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Mikey1874

I'm sorry. Had another look at it. As Wales play Italy last game, looks like worst we can finish is 5th. 

So all is well. 

AndrewB

Question for those who follow rugby more than me.  Why did Ireland kick to touch with 65 seconds left - and give England possession and one last chance? 65 seconds is three or four rucks which Ireland are good at.  Is it the fear of dropping the ball or getting penalised?

Mikey1874
41 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Question for those who follow rugby more than me.  Why did Ireland kick to touch with 65 seconds left - and give England possession and one last chance? 65 seconds is three or four rucks which Ireland are good at.  Is it the fear of dropping the ball or getting penalised?

Hope you get a few answers.

Basically I think the answer is Ireland are very confident in their defence. In the clip below they would have expected to stop England by the second pass and disrupt the attack. Hopefully win a penalty. And they would not be thinking at all they would themselves concede 2 penalties. 

But it is true there is a tendency to kick. If Ireland had been in the England 22 they would have gone through phases. So it really didn't make sense to kick. They gave England the game. 

Edited by Mikey1874

leginten
46 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

It was a big risk, and I remember at the time feeling slightly surprised that they had done it. Normally Ireland are so good at grinding through the phases relentlessly that you would have thought that would be the preferred route. But as you say, maybe the fear of conceding a penalty in kickable range was the deciding factor.

That said, you almost factor in not winning the opposition line-out at international level, which means you’re highly likely to be defending again immediately, and this time with a higher risk of infringing - just a bit further out initially.

Roxy Hearts
13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It was a well-deserved win, even if I found it sore to watch, especially at the end.  In reality, England should have had it wrapped up earlier, and the margin didn't do justice to their performance.

Ireland couldn't get a proper foothold at any time. England kept on forcing things. 

Harry Potter
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Sport is sport.

A bad day at the office, far too kind, total nightmare.

Ulysses
1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

I think it was the fear of conceding a penalty in kicking range.

But that's a good example of how well England played.  They disrupted Ireland and made them play a different game, and that's why they won.

Saying Ireland had a bad day at the office doesn't give credit for a very good England performance.  At the outset I thought they'd finish second to France (ah well), and even have a chance of nipping in and winning the tournament.  They've been too inconsistent, but they got their act together yesterday. 

Edited by Ulysses

Roxy Hearts
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I think it was the fear of conceding a penalty in kicking range.

But that's a good example of how well England played.  They disrupted Ireland and made them play a different game, and that's why they won.

Saying Ireland had a bad day at the office doesn't give credit for a very good England performance.  At the outset I thought they'd finish second to France (ah well), and even have a chance of nipping in and winning the tournament.  They've been too inconsistent, but they got their act together yesterday. 

Ireland will have as easy win over Scotland without getting of 3rd gear! We have good players but our execution is poor most of the time. Give away too many penalties. Once Ireland are in your 22 they invariably score.

leginten

France once again looking bereft of ideas in attack. 

PortyJambo

Jonathan Davis saying that Le Garrec didn't know where he was throwing that big reverse pass, even though the replay showed him looking behind himself to where the pass went to....if he was Welsh, it'd be "brilliant!"

Just now, PortyJambo said:

Jonathan Davis saying that Le Garrec didn't know where he was throwing that big reverse pass, even though the replay showed him looking behind himself to where the pass went to....if he was Welsh, it'd be "brilliant!"

Davis is a squeaky wee shite. And that’s the nicest thing I can think to say about him. 

AndrewB

Good to see forward passes getting called.  I thought they’d been abolished (sarcasm, by the way).

Mikey1874

If anyone wonders why they kick, watch this.

Wales going nowhere. 

Edited by Mikey1874