Scottish rugby

Malinga the Swinga

New Town Loafer
16 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

I have a feeling that the TMO shambles at Murrayfield is going to cost us the entire tournament. Just need to make sure we get the bonus point win in Rome and hope that England can do us a favour at Twickenham.

It is hugely disappointing that this is likely going to happen. As it is, I don't think Scotland are good enough to go and win in Dublin. However, both team going there for a Grand Slam decider would have been tremendous and it is very irritating that we will possibly be denied that due to a bad call.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

It is hugely disappointing that this is likely going to happen. As it is, I don't think Scotland are good enough to go and win in Dublin. However, both team going there for a Grand Slam decider would have been tremendous and it is very irritating that we will possibly be denied that due to a bad call.

Best we can hope for is a Slambuster result. 

How many points do France have as a result of referee ignorance or incompetence? They'd have had a losing bonus point from us and Italy but got, I think, 6 points from both matches. 

3 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

You just never know, Ireland could have a player red carded in the first and all of sudden a win in Dublin becomes very doable.

All Scotland can do is make sure we get the bonus point win in Rome next week and keep our fingers crossed that England can do something against Ireland at Twickenham. 

If we are still in with a chance going to Dublin then I think Scotland can be proud of themselves regardless of the result. 

Edited by Lambo85

This championship has only further cemented my dislike of the bonus point system. I understand why it’s there but it's looking a bit farcical just now. Wales are above Italy despite losing all 3 matches and the Italians drawing 1. Also at the other end Ireland on 15 points with 3 wins and we’re 6 points behind despite only losing 1 match. 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

This championship has only further cemented my dislike of the bonus point system. I understand why it’s there but it's looking a bit farcical just now. Wales are above Italy despite losing all 3 matches and the Italians drawing 1. Also at the other end Ireland on 15 points with 3 wins and we’re 6 points behind despite only losing 1 match. 

I don't remember the driver behind introducing the incentive to go for lots of tries. Was it the English leagues being stodgy or the old 5 Nations?

Mikey1874
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

A bonus point for Ireland v England and they win the Championship. 

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

A bonus point for Ireland v England and they win the Championship. 

Which to be perfectly honest, is on the cards.

PortyJambo
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I don't remember the driver behind introducing the incentive to go for lots of tries. Was it the English leagues being stodgy or the old 5 Nations?

As far as I remember, it was the lack of tries and attacking play that led to the introduction of bonus points. There was a feeling that teams would just defend, take no risks, and kick penalties to win a game, rather than go for tries. 

It would be interesting to see some analysis of whether there have been more tries scored since the bonus point introduction than there were previously. It feels like you see a lot more tries now, but I don't know if that is really the case or not.

Edited by PortyJambo

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

I don’t mind it to be honest. Encourages teams to score tries rather than just kicking for goal every penalty they get.

Also had we not made a complete mess of the second half of the Wales game and actually scored the bonus point 4th try and the referee and TMO hadn’t shafted us against France, then we would be sitting on 13 points, only 2 behind Ireland.

I feel if there was a way that head to head (not just in a tied points scenario) trumped bonus points I'd be okay with it.

As it is, it's lame participation stuff but that actually has an impact on standings.

3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

As far as I remember, it was the lack of tries and attacking play that led to the introduction of bonus points. There was a feeling that teams would just defend, take no risks, and kick penalties to win a game, rather than go for tries. 

It would be interesting to see some analysis of whether there have been more tries scored since the bonus point introduction than there were previously. It feels like you see a lot more tries now, but I don't know if that is really the case or not.

Like a lot of things, it all depends on how you look at it.  Bonus points were introduced in the 2017 competition. In the seven competitions before then (2010-16) there were 376 tries.  In the seven since then (2017-23) there were 552.  But if you look closer, you find that the number of tries being scored took off in 2014, before bonus points were introduced.  And also, if you look back further you'll see that there was a drop in try-scoring for a handful of years (say from about 2008 to 2013), but that the number of tries scored in the first few years of the Six Nations was only a little lower than recent years.

I'd say that the real change in try-scoring came about in the mid-90s, when the game went professional.  Or alternatively, it may be that the introduction of the Italians in 2000 led to more tries being scored by their opposing teams.

Malinga the Swinga
18 hours ago, Tazio said:

I can just about cope with bonus point for tries but a point for getting beat is ridiculous. You lose by 20 or lose by 1, you still lose so reward should be the same, 0 points.

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I can just about cope with bonus point for tries but a point for getting beat is ridiculous. You lose by 20 or lose by 1, you still lose so reward should be the same, 0 points.

I don't mind it that much. Previously a team getting handily beat didn't have much of an incentive to do much more than just try to keep the score down, now at least there's some incentive to not give up and keep attacking to try and score some late tries themselves. And it gives spectators hope their team might get something out of the game.

I don't think the bonus point system is perfect, and it can be a farce sometimes like during a World Cup when a group contains a couple of minnows and thus easy bonus points, and another group has better teams that struggle to get the bonus points needed to qualify. But on the whole, it's given games more of an interest late on than it was under the old system (more games with teams chasing 4th tries, team trying to get/keep it within 7 points).

Mikey1874
3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

I don't mind it that much. Previously a team getting handily beat didn't have much of an incentive to do much more than just try to keep the score down, now at least there's some incentive to not give up and keep attacking to try and score some late tries themselves. And it gives spectators hope their team might get something out of the game.

I don't think the bonus point system is perfect, and it can be a farce sometimes like during a World Cup when a group contains a couple of minnows and thus easy bonus points, and another group has better teams that struggle to get the bonus points needed to qualify. But on the whole, it's given games more of an interest late on than it was under the old system (more games with teams chasing 4th tries, team trying to get/keep it within 7 points).

Scotland are a good example.

Got to be pretty pleased with Scotland's performances this season. But missing 2 bonus points that would have kept the Championship open till last game shows an area for improvement. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/stuart-hogg-arrested-scotland-rugby-32245991.amp

The sooner this utter twat disappears from public view the better.

He disappeared up his own arsehole quite some time ago. The hair, the teeth, the alleged (but he definitely did) countless bag offs with wee & sometimes teenage tidies all point in one direction. 

Obviously, we've no idea what it was that had him (allegedly (but he definitely did)) banging on his wife's door but the image it brings to mind is 8 Ace out of Viz:

ace2.JPG

RustyRightPeg
5 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/stuart-hogg-arrested-scotland-rugby-32245991.amp

The sooner this utter twat disappears from public view the better.

Was in bother at NY Day races at Musselburgh too. Was then involved in a scuffle at his family home on the same day. Seems to have an issue when he's on the bevy. 

Edited by RustyRightPeg

PortyJambo

Graham out for remainder of season, and has to have surgery on his groin.

He's not had much luck with injuries in his career.

New Town Loafer
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Was in bother at NY Day races at Musselburgh too. Was then involved in a scuffle at his family home on the same day. Seems to have an issue when he's on the bevy. 

Sounds like a bit of a cocaine fiend.

Mikey1874
7 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Graham out for remainder of season, and has to have surgery on his groin.

He's not had much luck with injuries in his career.

I do already think Kyle Steyn is the better player especially defensively. More chances to take the place. With good moves as a substitute Cameron Redpath already, Finn Russell's club inside centre looks like he can do well enough. 

It’s always a shame when people you’ve enjoyed watching turn out to be knobs. 

Dawnrazor
Just now, Tazio said:

It’s always a shame when people you’ve enjoyed watching turn out to be knobs. 

Yep, my son still has photos and posters of him😪

Edited by Dawnrazor

merrymac

Anyone watching the Edinburgh game tonight?

The Ospreys kit 🥺

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

not just darcy but tuipulotu probably out for a while

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68444223

Didn't look good when he came off last Saturday, bit if a blow that one. On another note, ex-Scotland player Marcus Di Rollo was in the Ardmillan before the game on Wednesday. 

PortyJambo
3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

The Ospreys kit 🥺

It's...colourful. 

Bit more colourful than the way Edinburgh are playing too!

Edited by PortyJambo

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

The Ospreys kit 🥺

Edinburgh throwing this away. 16-15 now.

merrymac
Just now, PortyJambo said:

It's...colourful. 

Bit more colourful than the way Edinburgh are playing too!

Poor game the co- commentator isn’t biased in the slightest🤣

PortyJambo
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That was a lucky win.

Edinburgh are getting the wins this season at least that they probably wouldn't have got last season, but they've certainly been a grind and never pretty to watch.

Dawnrazor
Just now, PortyJambo said:

Edinburgh are getting the wins this season at least that they probably wouldn't have got last season, but they've certainly been a grind and never pretty to watch.

I thought they were poor in the second half.

Malinga the Swinga
18 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I thought they were poor in the second half.

Thought they were going to lose that in last minute but knock on at end proved crucial.

Not best performance by a long way but they're winning games.

So many knock ons and unforced errors which is annoying but weather isn't best so will give them benefit of doubt.

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thought they were going to lose that in last minute but knock on at end proved crucial.

Not best performance by a long way but they're winning games.

So many knock ons and unforced errors which is annoying but weather isn't best so will give them benefit of doubt.

Aye, a close win is better that a close loss, I'd just like to see a more clean, clinical performance.

Lambo85

If we beat Italy with a bonus point win on Saturday and Ireland only beat England without the bonus point then does it still go into the last game?

If the scenario above happens and then a miracle happens and we beat Ireland in Dublin the following weekend with a bonus pint win, do Scotland win the whole thing or would Ireland still win because their points difference is miles above ours? 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

If we beat Italy with a bonus point win on Saturday and Ireland only beat England without the bonus point then does it still go into the last game?

If the scenario above happens and then a miracle happens and we beat Ireland in Dublin the following weekend with a bonus pint win, do Scotland win the whole thing or would Ireland still win because their points difference is miles above ours? 

Suspect we have a better chance of a bonus pint win in Ireland than bonus point one 🙂.

In your scenario, goes to last game. If points level, then points difference is tie breaker so we have 75 points swing to achieve. 

Better hope Ireland draw or lose to England I guess because point swung is a tad unlikely.

Lambo85
30 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Suspect we have a better chance of a bonus pint win in Ireland than bonus point one 🙂.

In your scenario, goes to last game. If points level, then points difference is tie breaker so we have 75 points swing to achieve. 

Better hope Ireland draw or lose to England I guess because point swung is a tad unlikely.

So we need an England win to have any chance at all then.

Sods law will have us winning in Rome and in Dublin all for the TMO and ref to have cost us the whole thing by not awarding the try against France!

Malinga the Swinga
34 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

So we need an England win to have any chance at all then.

Sods law will have us winning in Rome and in Dublin all for the TMO and ref to have cost us the whole thing by not awarding the try against France!

Unless Ireland have someone sent off, England will struggle to beat them, although a draw would do. 

If you think we will beat them in Dublin when they're on for a grand slam, I admire your optimism.

Let's just get the win in Italy first though before worrying about last game decider

I P Knightley
On 04/03/2024 at 15:03, Mikey1874 said:

I'm a wee bit disappointed that Harris hasn't come in to backfill for Tuipolotu. He's such a class player - but, for all I know, he may be injured. 

Lambo85
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm a wee bit disappointed that Harris hasn't come in to backfill for Tuipolotu. He's such a class player - but, for all I know, he may be injured. 

I think Redpath is pretty much guaranteed to start for Tuipolotu.

Victorian

Ireland will maul Scotland unless there's a red card.  Even then Ireland would still be favourites.

Regardless,  the chance to turn up for a tiny chance at a grand slam doesn't exist.  Scotland were deprived of it by the France debacle.  Anything less is worthless.

Scotland win = a triple crown.  A major achievement.  But it's tainted by not being a grand slam.

(Italy game has not been taken for granted)

Lambo85
11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Unless Ireland have someone sent off, England will struggle to beat them, although a draw would do. 

If you think we will beat them in Dublin when they're on for a grand slam, I admire your optimism.

Let's just get the win in Italy first though before worrying about last game decider

The thing is, you just never know.

Who expected Hearts to beat Celtic on Sunday after 2 dismal displays against Rangers and Hibs prior to the match? And even more so after Celtic winning 7-1 last Wednesday and Rangers getting beat from Motherwell on Saturday.

Like you say, all it takes is for Ireland to go down to 10 men and / or for a couple of our keys players like Finn Russell and DVM to have an absolutely outstanding match.

PortyJambo
1 minute ago, Lambo85 said:

The thing is, you just never know.

Who expected Hearts to beat Celtic on Sunday after 2 dismal displays against Rangers and Hibs prior to the match? And even more so after Celtic winning 7-1 last Wednesday and Rangers getting beat from Motherwell on Saturday.

Like you say, all it takes is for Ireland to go down to 10 men and / or for a couple of our keys players like Finn Russell and DVM to have an absolutely outstanding match.

If Ireland go down to 10 men, I don't even think we'd need Russell and DVM to have a good game, even Scotland couldn't lose that game 😜

Victorian

It's much harder for a clear underdog to win a rugby test match than a football match.  The sports have very different dynamics.  I think Scotland beating Ireland would probably be their best ever achievement.  Much bigger than the 84 and 90 grand slams.

Lambo85
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

It's much harder for a clear underdog to win a rugby test match than a football match.  The sports have very different dynamics.  I think Scotland beating Ireland would probably be their best ever achievement.  Much bigger than the 84 and 90 grand slams.

In that case, we should breeze a bonus point win in Rome on Saturday then!

Victorian
1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

In that case, we should breeze a bonus point win in Rome on Saturday then!

Not really.  Scotland are nowhere near as much a favourite over Italy as Ireland are vs Scotland.  Italy are dangerous.

Thunder and Lightning
6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Sit down man. It's one game. It would hardly eclipse grand slam victories. 

It's second in the world vs sixth. 

Barcelona vs Tranent it isn't. 

Lambo85

Just seen the team to play in Rome.

Has Ben White got any injury?

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

Just seen the team to play in Rome.

Has Ben White got any injury?

Ben White "rested" and "rewards" Horne and Price.