***Official Heart of Midlothian v Istanbul Basaksehir ( KO 17:45 ) Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

I'm excited by the game. I think we are massive underdogs, so a draw will be a decent result and a win will be one of our best ever European results. I can accept defeat if we put everything into the game, just like the Zurich home game. Surely the players will be up for it, or serious questions need asked.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• pettigrewsstylist

• Cruyff

• buzzbomb1958

4 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

I'm excited by the game. I think we are massive underdogs, so a draw will be a decent result and a win will be one of our best ever European results. I can accept defeat if we put everything into the game, just like the Zurich home game. Surely the players will be up for it, or serious questions need asked.

Yes that's the mentally we should have every game mate! 

9 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

Just put in a performance we might still come up short ( they are a very good team for this level ) but the fans will see they busted a gut.The last two games were unacceptable in terms of effort and desire.

Edited by vegas-voss

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Just put in a performance we might still come up short ( they are a very good team for this level ) but the fans will see we busted a gut.The last two games were unacceptable in terms of effort and desire.

Too tired to play. 

If you're planning to leave at half time if the team aren't winning, why don't you do other supporters a favour and just hand your ticket back to be resold so someone else can go in your place? 

Hope we can have a right good go on Thursday. First half against Zurich was top quality, only missing a goal that would have changed the whole tie. Our lack of shots on target has remained a worry since. We need to move it quicker in the final third. We hit plenty of worldie looking diagonals but the player receiving them always delays things. Defences are getting the time to get back & re-organise themselves. We should be bursting into the box or hitting the by-line. Shanks or Humphreys, (maybe both should play), can't score with no service where it really matters. I'm looking forward to it, just hope we can show a bit of guile & confidence on the way to a morale boosting win. 

We're big underdogs but I'm really buzzing for it, I'm sure the players will be raring to go with a point to prove. Had a look at their squad & there's a few big players in there

Whatever happens in Europe I'm here for the ride, let's just do our part & get the place bouncing for 90 minutes. We've been waiting for these nights for nearly 2 decades so make the most of it!

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

I don't mind him at RWB, but absolutely not at RB. I just use Oshaniwa to point out that being an international doesn't mean much in and of itself. 

Agreed. I would though prefer to have Forrest in that position…better at attacking and defending.

7 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

We are not huge underdogs. Bet365 have it priced up as follows:
Hearts 3.25

draw 3.30

IB 2.25

Bookies odds are not a reflection of who they think will win.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Bookies odds are not a reflection of who they think will win.

Fill your boots on the Turks then. I think these odds are realistic. 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Kingsley

Atkinson           Cochrane

Haring  Devlin

Mckay   Shankland  Forrest

That would be my team, or potentially the new German in for Haring.

That’s our strongest line up imo and we havent seen that the past 2 games.

Won’t be easy but play like we did first half against Zurich and we can give anyone a game.

The fans need to shift the feeling the last 2 games has brought and be up for it from the start.

3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Fill your boots on the Turks then. I think these odds are realistic. 

Bookies try to balance their books so they can't lose. 

A bookie in this country will take more bets on Hearts than the Turks so offer better odds than is realistic on the Turks to try to encourage people to bet on them, this helps balance the book.

A bookie in Turkey would do the opposite, probably having Istanbul at strong odds on and Hearts big outsiders.

The odds on the Turks are way better than they probably should be.

Apologies if any of that is not news to you.

Edited by graygo

30 minutes ago, tian447 said:

If you're planning to leave at half time if the team aren't winning, why don't you do other supporters a favour and just hand your ticket back to be resold so someone else can go in your place? 

Surely most folk suspect we will likely get beat. I’ve left early many times but never pre-planned. If I was planning to go at HT I’d just watch it on the box tbh. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Surely most folk suspect we will likely get beat. I’ve left early many times but never pre-planned. If I was planning to go at HT I’d just watch it on the box tbh. 

It’s interesting how, in June, the vast majority felt we would get few points in either of the European competions but, now our group matches are imminent, the consensus on what we should achieve seems to have significantly increased. 🥸

Just now, davemclaren said:

It’s interesting how, in June, the vast majority felt we would get few points in either of the European competions but, now our group matches are imminent, the consensus on what we should achieve seems to have significantly increased. 🥸

Good point. Folk are probably just a bit miffed after the last couple of results. Zurich at him was a bit of a downer as well. That first half was some of the best football I’ve seen us play in a long time. Wish I had left at HT 😀

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Good point. Folk are probably just a bit miffed after the last couple of results. Zurich at him was a bit of a downer as well. That first half was some of the best football I’ve seen us play in a long time. Wish I had left at HT 😀

Yes, the Zurich match outcome was crushing. 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Just interesting that your idea of 'full support' is being in the pub at half time. Pathetic.

To be fair, if we're getting hosed by a hungrier, better organised, more skillful side with a savvy manager (which is not entirely unlikely based on recent events), then the only pathetic thing (aside from the team on the park, obv') will be the poor saps left in ground assuaging their disappointment with the certain knowledge that they're the 'real' fans.

I've never undrstood the almost masochistic celebration of failure on the grounds that 'at least we're supporting the team'.

It's uberfan pish. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. 

Hopefully Nelly Terraces's pessimism (although understandable), is misplaced, and we can put the Turk to the sword (T.E. Lawrence would surely approve).

1 minute ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

To be fair, if we're getting hosed by a hungrier, better organised, more skillful side with a savvy manager (which is not entirely unlikely based on recent events), then the only pathetic thing (aside from the team on the park, obv') will be the poor saps left in ground assuaging their disappointment with the certain knowledge that they're the 'real' fans.

I've never undrstood the almost masochistic celebration of failure on the grounds that 'at least we're supporting the team'.

Hopefully Nelly Terraces's pessimism (although understandable), is misplaced, and we can put the Turk to the sword (T.E. Lawrence would surely approve).

New take on it there. :whistling:

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

New take on it there. :whistling:

One of the many services that I offer, Dave. 👍

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, graygo said:

Who knew that supporting your team even when they are getting beat now makes you an uberfan.

Smart folk.

Just now, Dirk McClaymore said:

One of the many services that I offer, Dave. 👍

To be fair, I always stay to the end and have witnessed several depressing and horrific 90 minutes in the last 50 years . I view it as cathartic. However, I also remember occasions where some headed to the pub at matches where we went 4 or 5 up as ‘the game was over’.

Each to their own. 😄

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Ubersmart.

Correct. It's nice to finally get some recognition. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

To be fair, I always stay to the end and have witnessed several depressing and horrific 90 minutes in the last 50 years . I view it as cathartic. However, I also remember occasions where some headed to the pub at matches where we went 4 or 5 up as ‘the game was over’.

Each to their own. 😄

I'm usually there till the end-ish myself, Dave, but only because the pish on the park is generally better than listening to the half-time pub bores whingeing about the pish on the park. 🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Each to their own. 😄

I always stay to the end too. I once went to a cup replay at St James's park with my Newcastle supporting pal and had to leave 5 minutes from the end to get the train home. As it happens Newcastle were 3 up at the time but even if it had gone to extra time and penalties we couldn't have stayed. It made no sense to me at all but he does the same every time there is a midweek game.

tartofmidlothian
8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Do we know  roughly how many Turks are supposedly travelling over for this one?

Someone said on here their fans are annoyed because the club haven't sorted travel or ticket arrangements, don't know where they got that info. By the sounds of it their entire support would just about fill the Roseburn, I'm expecting a very small but very ultra crowd in the low hundreds.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Ever since I almost missed Robbo's equaliser against Rangers in a 2-2 draw in the 80's, I always stay to end.

You just never ever know what's going to happen, and seen so many late come backs that I'd regret leaving before end.

This leaving early makes you a winner is a strange thought process, it just makes you a quitter, which is even worse than a loser.

46 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I always stay to the end too. I once went to a cup replay at St James's park with my Newcastle supporting pal and had to leave 5 minutes from the end to get the train home. As it happens Newcastle were 3 up at the time but even if it had gone to extra time and penalties we couldn't have stayed. It made no sense to me at all but he does the same every time there is a midweek game.

I don’t get that either. Fair enough if it’s the last train home. 😄

il Duce McTarkin
35 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Ever since I almost missed Robbo's equaliser against Rangers in a 2-2 draw in the 80's, I always stay to end.

You just never ever know what's going to happen, and seen so many late come backs that I'd regret leaving before end.

Stayed for a few great comebacks over the years too.

35 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

This leaving early makes you a winner is a strange thought process, it just makes you a quitter, which is even worse than a loser.

Leaving early doesn't make you a winner (unless you value a few pints with friends more than watching the latest assembly of skulls that inhabit your team's colours getting taught a lesson by some diddy outfit); however the person that doggedly refuses to quit when all hope and enjoyment has evaporated displays that quaint form of devotion that underlies a distinct lack of intelligence or imagination.

They're probably used to losing at life, so the football is just an extension of that.

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

A friend said a few 🇹🇷 💈 💇‍♂️ were closing early on Thursday…

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t get that either. Fair enough if it’s the last train home. 😄

I’m staying until the end on Thursday despite getting the last train home!

Leaves Waverley at 11:40pm (gets into Euston at 7:07am)!!

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Long journey. 

25 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

You do know the game will be done by 8? 😂

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I get my booing in early so that I can get away before the end.

If you're going to fling your scarf and season book onto the touchline in disgust it's better to wait until the end for maximum effect and to be sure the TV cameras pick it up.

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

chuck berrys hairline
2 hours ago, Jeff said:

The Kurd/Turkish cafes in Rose Street are expecting a couple hundred to travel over

2 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

If you're going to fling your scarf and season book onto the touchline in disgust it's better to wait until the end for maximum effect and to be sure the TV cameras pick it up.

Scarf? Don't have one, it got launched years ago. (Captured by the Sportscene cameras)

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I get my booing in early so that I can get away before the end.

Work smarter not harder 👍🏽

8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You do know the game will be done by 8? 😂

😂 yep but it’s the first train after the final whistle … it’s called a ‘sleeper’ but I’m super excited so might not sleep …. although post match walk to Tynie Arms, Diggers, Bensons, Dickens, Ryries might tire me out! 🍺 🚶 😉  

6 hours ago, Flimsy said:

I too al looking  forward to the rest of the section games with confidence think we have to much for these outfits.

Referee is Krzysztof Jakubik of Poland. 2nd Polish referee in 3 european games for us. 

Also worth noting there is no VAR in the conference groups

34 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Referee is Krzysztof Jakubik of Poland. 2nd Polish referee in 3 european games for us. 

Also worth noting there is no VAR in the conference groups

After the carry on in the EPL  , VAR is debatable.

Edited by Harry Potter

Neverforgetfiveone

I might have a spare ticket for the match. Would find out tomorrow for certain. Wheatfield Section C Upper. 

Im I posting this message in the right chat?

7 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

I might have a spare ticket for the match. Would find out tomorrow for certain. Wheatfield Section C Upper. 

Im I posting this message in the right chat?

..... unless your spare ticket is for the Fiorentina game ?