***Official Heart of Midlothian v Istanbul Basaksehir ( KO 17:45 ) Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I thought we had swapped personalities for a split second 😜?!?!

I have to admit the lack of incisiveness in our play all over the park can really wind me up. We can get away with it in the league but at European level it costs us dearly. I hope the coaching team can work on it.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• pettigrewsstylist

• Cruyff

• buzzbomb1958

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Could someone kindly remind me the guaranteed financial monies due to Hearts from the group matches? And any additional for a point or win?

I think the guaranteed is just the £2.8m plus TV and coefficient money. Ticket sales on top of that.

Something like £480k for a win and £150K for a draw.

Proper recruitment like filling the RCB role we said we would and getting a decent second striker in - if we had not penny pinched (but without being too loose with the cash) could have paid for itself.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Bazzas right boot
21 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

We won over 50% of our games before Simms arrived, including beating Celtic. I honestly think we miss Boyce more than Simms.

We do. 

Fingers crossed Snodgrass can replace him. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think the guaranteed is just the £2.8m plus TV and coefficient money. Ticket sales on top of that.

Proper recruitment like filling the RCB role we said we would and getting a decent second striker in - if we had not penny pinched (but without being too loose with the cash) could have paid for itself.

Ticket sales and match day money could be well over £2m, add in Zurich likely around £2.5m

Plus the TV pot, unsure what that is. 

17 minutes ago, Dayman said:

If we could afford superior athletes, they’d be of far inferior technical abilities.

There’s a reason why players get fitter, stronger and faster as you go into better leagues.

Not every body is made the same. The top level clubs can identify those “built differently” from a fairly young age. They then nurture those players with superior facilities and coaches. It’s not rocket science.

It would take years and years of intense dedicated training to improve our players to that elite level, if even possible. If Okaka sat in his house for 5 years, would Kingsley ever be able to out strength him, even with the top strength coaches for the next 5 years? Maybe. But probably not.

So please stop saying “wE CaN aTlEaSt Be FitTeR tHaN tHeM”.

The extra time committed to attempt to get there would make the product on the park horrific. 

Yours sincerely, an S+C coach. 

Imagine if you were ever backed into a corner and were forced to be unwrong

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Who did we lose out on because we penny pinched? 

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Dayman said:

If we could afford superior athletes, they’d be of far inferior technical abilities.

There’s a reason why players get fitter, stronger and faster as you go into better leagues.

Not every body is made the same. The top level clubs can identify those “built differently” from a fairly young age. They then nurture those players with superior facilities and coaches. It’s not rocket science.

It would take years and years of intense dedicated training to improve our players to that elite level, if even possible. If Okaka sat in his house for 5 years, would Kingsley ever be able to out strength him, even with the top strength coaches for the next 5 years? Maybe. But probably not.

The extra time committed to attempt to get there would make the product on the park horrific. 

Bob already said we tend to be able to afford either smaller technical players or bigger athletic types. 

If players are technically good and athletic they will attract bigger teams who can take more gambles and pay more. 

I sometimes think folk have an image of Hearts knocking back all these great players who are just itching to move to Scotland and get paid £5k a week and knock back all other offers as they really want to play for us. 

Scottish football is shite in terms of quality when you compare it to the  European leagues 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, cameron79 said:

I have to admit the lack of incisiveness in our play all over the park can really wind me up. We can get away with it in the league but at European level it costs us dearly. I hope the coaching team can work on it.

Definitely, no urgency in anything we do, far too many touches all over the pitch.

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Dayman said:

So we don’t have the facilities, and what coaching would it take to get our players to these levels? Are you saying it’s impossible to do from a young age? That our players can’t get fitter or stronger than they are now?

After about  5 minutes in it was clearly obvious they were miles ahead of us in footballing ability and strength.

We should have chucked any game plan we had up in the air and compressed the pitch and lived off scraps.

It ended up Spurs all over again.

We can't competence at this level.

Shankland give your all for 45 then Humphrys the next.

Only one of Mackay or Forrest on the pitch in a withdrawn role.

And defend your 18 to 35 yards like your life depended on it and hope for some class saves from your 1 European level player.

Bordeaux all over again.

Edited by DETTY29

Tom Hardy’s Dug
23 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Who did we lose out on because we penny pinched? 

Somebody reliable on here seems to know

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Somebody reliable on here seems to know

Was it penny pinching or just too expensive. 

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Thanks mate, I just hope Pospisil bangs one in for us this week

🤣🤣🤣

Brilliant! 

👍

Burley oot! 

33 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Bob already said we tend to be able to afford either smaller technical players or bigger athletic types. 

If players are technically good and athletic they will attract bigger teams who can take more gambles and pay more. 

I sometimes think folk have an image of Hearts knocking back all these great players who are just itching to move to Scotland and get paid £5k a week and knock back all other offers as they really want to play for us. 

Scottish football is shite in terms of quality when you compare it to the  European leagues 

Exactly. If the player is physically elite, mentally elite, and technically elite then they will be playing at a much higher level than hearts.

If we get lucky then we may get 2/3 of those attributes at a good level. Mostly it will be 1 though. I’d struggle to name a player in our squad that has two.

Barry Mckay is up there with one of the best we could get with his technical ability but that’s probably it. I’ve no clue about him mentally but compare him with a similarly physical Devlin. The mental drive in him covers for his lack of most physical attributes.

30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So we don’t have the facilities, and what coaching would it take to get our players to these levels? Are you saying it’s impossible to do from a young age? That our players can’t get fitter or stronger than they are now?

I think we have the fitness levels that suit our position in world football.

Yeah, we can get them fitter and stronger now, but there’s only a certain amount of time you can spend on that stuff, especially when playing 2 games a week.

I’d hazard a guess at the fact we are limited to at most 1 gym session and 1 fitness based session a week during this busy period. Most in season work(when playing once a week) will be to maintain levels as to not interfere/be fatigued during training sessions.

8? of these players have been at hearts for less than 2 months. There’s not many aspects of fitness you could noticeably increase in that time, especially in this busy schedule. The only aspect would be the “cardio” side of things.

The elite physical players will have been doing things different from a young age, and may just be naturally better in that aspect. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It would have been a difficult game with our strongest 11. 

Of course it would have been.

They are a well funded side and likely would give both the Old Firm a good game.

That no9 and 77 were class and tore us apart. 

Last time we had players with that level of ability and physicality was 2006 and funnily enough our wage budget was much larger.

That team will be looking to go deep in this competition where we were happy to be there. We need to be beating the Latvian lot though, do-able and a lot of money at stake 

Edited by RedStarRiot
Edit

49 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

Of course it would have been.

They are a well funded side and likely would give both the Old Firm a good game.

That no9 and 77 were class and tore us apart. 

Last time we had players with that level of ability and physicality was 2006 and funnily enough our wage budget was much larger.

That team will be looking to go deep in this competition where we were happy to be there. We need to be beating the Latvian lot though, do-able and a lot of money at stake 

👍 

But I really think we should keep our winning entitlement to Hibs. :fth:

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Dayman said:

Exactly. If the player is physically elite, mentally elite, and technically elite then they will be playing at a much higher level than hearts.

If we get lucky then we may get 2/3 of those attributes at a good level. Mostly it will be 1 though. I’d struggle to name a player in our squad that has two.

Barry Mckay is up there with one of the best we could get with his technical ability but that’s probably it. I’ve no clue about him mentally but compare him with a similarly physical Devlin. The mental drive in him covers for his lack of most physical attributes.

I think we have the fitness levels that suit our position in world football.

Yeah, we can get them fitter and stronger now, but there’s only a certain amount of time you can spend on that stuff, especially when playing 2 games a week.

I’d hazard a guess at the fact we are limited to at most 1 gym session and 1 fitness based session a week during this busy period. Most in season work(when playing once a week) will be to maintain levels as to not interfere/be fatigued during training sessions.

8? of these players have been at hearts for less than 2 months. There’s not many aspects of fitness you could noticeably increase in that time, especially in this busy schedule. The only aspect would be the “cardio” side of things.

The elite physical players will have been doing things different from a young age, and may just be naturally better in that aspect. 

So we can do it from the youths, and pre season to get them as fit and strong as possible then keep those levels up? 

pettigrewsstylist
16 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Forrest turning away wasn’t great either, the deflected goal and the one where Cochrane didn’t challenge Okaka were poor also. 

Ive just watched the highlights for 1st time. Stone me, what a state we were in, and it wasnt only the 2nd half.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Ive just watched the highlights for 1st time. Stone me, what a state we were in, and it wasnt only the 2nd half.

Yeah I saw them yesterday unwittingly as there was nothing else on, didn’t realise how poor it was. We will struggle to compete at our best, Thursday was nowhere near that.