***Official Heart of Midlothian v Istanbul Basaksehir ( KO 17:45 ) Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

13 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Was just scanning the thread and had this team in my head aswell!

I think we need to be tight in midfield and would go with this 3.  I’m not a big Haring lover but he’s got experience and a sitting job would be more suitable for him in Europe while Devlin and Kio do the work.

Devlin played in the 10 role versus Dundee united for a short spell near the end.    He was on a booking so was put out of harms way. 

It would be a pressing 4231, not overall defensive but an option!   Thinking about it is OK but getting any success from it is a different story.    

Edited by HMFC01

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• pettigrewsstylist

• Cruyff

• buzzbomb1958

6 minutes ago, BossmanDaz said:

Cup of Nations winner and played in the knockouts of a World Cup. 

:facepalm:

Not just the knockouts, he played all 4 of Nigeria's matches at the 2014 finals.

4 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Fully expect to be in the pub by 6.30. Will be going to give full support to my club, but have absolutely no faith in the manager or team to get anything other than a defeat from this game.  

Missing the first half then?

6 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Fully expect to be in the pub by 6.30. Will be going to give full support to my club, but have absolutely no faith in the manager or team to get anything other than a defeat from this game.  

I'm in the same boat.  However, it's an early kick-off, so get to the pub earlier.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Not just the knockouts, he played all 4 of Nigeria's matches at the 2014 finals.

Yep. It makes you wonder sometimes :blink:

So they’re currently 5th in the Turkish Super Lig. Most recently they’ve beaten the team in 9th, the team in 10th and they’ve drawn with Uche Ikpeazus (remember him) team who incidentally sit 2nd in the league. Are hearts fans seriously shiting themselves from this team? We have our best front four in a long time halks back Kingsley back and scotlands no.1. If RN sets us up to have a go then 3pts and €420000 are well within reach. Let’s ****in do this Hearts

Tom Hardy’s Dug
18 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Just go to the pub mate. You’ll have better fun.

Interestingly Istanbul don't seem to have put any information about tickets for their fans at Tynecastle and a few of their fans aren't particularly happy with the lack of communication 

53 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Not really giving your full support there 😂

45 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

So they’re currently 5th in the Turkish Super Lig. Most recently they’ve beaten the team in 9th, the team in 10th and they’ve drawn with Uche Ikpeazus (remember him) team who incidentally sit 2nd in the league. Are hearts fans seriously shiting themselves from this team? We have our best front four in a long time halks back Kingsley back and scotlands no.1. If RN sets us up to have a go then 3pts and €420000 are well within reach. Let’s ****in do this Hearts

Like. 👍

1 hour ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Full support but expect to leave at half time...

Thats a belter of a quote 🤦‍♂️😂

mulleted_jambo

A lot of shitebags on this thread. We will 100% be more on it that the last two games. We might not get anything but similar to Zurich we will give it a decent go. 

Can’t wait!!!

tartofmidlothian
1 hour ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Interestingly Istanbul don't seem to have put any information about tickets for their fans at Tynecastle and a few of their fans aren't particularly happy with the lack of communication 

Where is the Istanbul version of JKB?

Ricardo Quaresma
24 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

One game versus Kayserispor 60 minutes and scored.    That's it this season. 

Özil has only played 46 mins in a reserve game on 9th August, since Fener released him amidst concerns about his fitness and commitment, a game where they were beaten 7-1

The goalie that did ECL draw, I think it's his son that scored 4 goals in that game

So, not sure whether he will feature on Thursday at all

Ricardo Quaresma
13 hours ago, Berra than you said:

That's just a list of players on our books though. In the app we have our 25 players registered to play in Europe, and none of them featured.

It must be a mistake cause checking back, Boyce is included in the list and surely we aren't putting him forward for selection.

Yeah, it's a link that was posted earlier

9 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

According to the online Daily Ranger they’ve just went top mate but I can’t see it an any Turkish super lig table. Says they’re sitting 4th with a game in hand. I totally agree we can do this though. We have 3 massive games at home and we can take something from each one. 90 minutes of how we played first half against zurich and we’ll get something. We’ve been crying out for European nights at Tynie so we need to get this place rocking for the full 90. We get a goal and anything can happen. Just hope the players have enough self belief as what our support have. If we want it bad enough then we really can win! 

Edited by SMJ_1874

11 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

That's the spirit. 

I get that some people are a bit apprehensive about this game based on recent form.  We didn't have the best of league seasons in 88/89 and I went along to QF against Bayern Munich expecting to see a quality team give us a spanking.    You are only as good as your last game but the next one is the most important.  

tartofmidlothian
6 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Özil has only played 46 mins in a reserve game on 9th August, since Fener released him amidst concerns about his fitness and commitment, a game where they were beaten 7-1

The goalie that did ECL draw, I think it's his son that scored 4 goals in that game

So, not sure whether he will feature on Thursday at all

He's played in one league match and one Euro match since then. Both as a late sub though, not even 15 minutes played unless you count injury time.

Ricardo Quaresma
25 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

He's played in one league match and one Euro match since then. Both as a late sub though, not even 15 minutes played unless you count injury time.

Is that the one for 3 minutes?

14 hours ago, Taffin said:

Juwon Oshaniwa 

Good reference point… How on earth Natty is playing from Hearts let alone the Oz team is a mystery. If he starts on Thursday we are snookered.

3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Good reference point… How on earth Natty is playing from Hearts let alone the Oz team is a mystery. If he starts on Thursday we are snookered.

I don't mind him at RWB, but absolutely not at RB. I just use Oshaniwa to point out that being an international doesn't mean much in and of itself. 

Nelly Terraces
3 hours ago, ramrod said:

That's the spirit. 

Just being realistic pal. I'd very doubt I'm alone in being so. Let's hope I'm wrong though. 

47 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't mind him at RWB, but absolutely not at RB. I just use Oshaniwa to point out that being an international doesn't mean much in and of itself. 

I disagree, I would say that being an international player shows that a player is of a decent level, certainly one that plays in World Cups and African Nations Cup winning teams. 

Fozzyonthefence
14 hours ago, graygo said:

Yep, and he was an utterly pish footballer.  Your point about Atkinson was presumably that he must be good because he has 3 caps for Australia and might play at the World Cup?  Doesn’t work like that, there have been many awful teams and players played at World Cup finals.  It would suggest that Australia have no quality whatsoever in the right back position (a bit like Scotland when we had O’Donnell there before Paterson and Hickey started playing there in the English Premier).  

Atkinson isn’t yet at the required level for Hearts never mind playing at a World Cup but he plays for a pish international team who play with a diving wig up front. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Nice to see HMFC set up already with Stan Sport, who own the rights to all the UEFA competitions over here. Big team, big, er, streams!

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yep, and he was an utterly pish footballer.  Your point about Atkinson was presumably that he must be good because he has 3 caps for Australia and might play at the World Cup?  Doesn’t work like that, there have been many awful teams and players played at World Cup finals.  It would suggest that Australia have no quality whatsoever in the right back position (a bit like Scotland when we had O’Donnell there before Paterson and Hickey started playing there in the English Premier).  

Atkinson isn’t yet at the required level for Hearts never mind playing at a World Cup but he plays for a pish international team who play with a diving wig up front. 

Whatever, I think you're wrong.

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I disagree, I would say that being an international player shows that a player is of a decent level, certainly one that plays in World Cups and African Nations Cup winning teams. 

I remember when El Salvador lost 10-0 against Argentina at the World Cup - they certainly weren’t at a decent level.  Nor that team that England pumped - Panama was it?  They were abysmal. 

Using an example of a player who played at a World Cup but wasn’t good enough for Hearts or the Scottish league kinda defeats your argument doesn’t it? 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Whatever, I think you're wrong.

You’re not seriously telling me Oshinawa was a good player for Hearts (wasnt he shite for Hibs too?).

I’m out.

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I remember when El Salvador lost 10-0 against Argentina at the World Cup - they certainly weren’t at a decent level.  Nor that team that England pumped - Panama was it?  They were abysmal. 

Using an example of a player who played at a World Cup but wasn’t good enough for Hearts or the Scottish league kinda defeats your argument doesn’t it? 

And yet you think using El Salvador as an example is ok?

Nigeria won the African Nations cup, they qualified from their group to the knock out stages of the World cup, all with Oshiniwa in the team.

Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

tartofmidlothian
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Is that the one for 3 minutes?

Ten minutes against Kayserispor on August 21, then three minutes against Royal Antwerp in Europe on August 25, his only competitive appearances since he played for Fenerbahce back in March. If Soccerbase is telling the truth, anyway.

1 minute ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Ten minutes against Kayserispor on August 21, then three minutes against Royal Antwerp in Europe on August 25, his only competitive appearances since he played for Fenerbahce back in March. If Soccerbase is telling the truth, anyway.

Sounds like he moved there for a final retirement fund contribution. I’n saying that he’ll  likely come on and play a stormer against us. ☹️

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You’re not seriously telling me Oshinawa was a good player for Hearts (wasnt he shite for Hibs too?).

I’m out.

I don't think I said he was a good player for Hearts, but his international record suggests we didn't bring out the best in him.

Sod all to do with Atkinson anyway who I think you are doing a disservice to.

Ricardo Quaresma
4 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Yes, Soccerbase is spot on, as is Soccerway

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

And yet you think using El Salvador as an example is ok?

Nigeria won the African Nations cup, they qualified from their group to the knock out stages of the World cup, all with Oshiniwa in the team.

Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

You think using Australia as an example is ok? Even good or half decent teams (Australia are neither) have shite players in some positions).

As you say, we aren’t agreeing on this, move on. 

22 minutes ago, graygo said:

An interesting take on Oshaniwa, I'll give you that.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

An interesting take on Oshaniwa, I'll give you that.

Not the first foreign player not to have made it with us, but flourished and was successful elsewhere. 

But that's probably another topic.  

15 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

'Full support' ...

Nelly Terraces
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

'Full support' ...

Yawn. About the 12th reply on my post already. People are so easily upset. 

Just grow up.

2 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Just grow up.

Just interesting that your idea of 'full support' is being in the pub at half time. Pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Just grow up.

People read your post and respond to it, it happens all the time. The alternative is to continue reading the thread and seeing that others have already replied. You were lucky there was only twelve replies, it deserved more.

Captain Sausage

Am I confident? No

Am I hopeful? Yes

Hopefully have Kingsley and Halkett back and Kio registered in the midfield. 

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Kingsley

Cochrane

Devlin

Kio/Haring

Forrest

Grant

McKay

Shankland

A point would be a great result here. 

13 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Just grow up.

Seems you are the one who is easily upset by being incredibly negative about the game. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not all players acclimatise quickly, to be fair to Atkinson he did ok to begin with if not perfect and has since fallen back a bit. 

Its a shame that people want to ruin folk on a small sample size, some dont even know the players compared to and who they played for 🤷‍♂️

People can improve with time and understanding, Suso was one for example who was eventually missed

I get the pessimism after the last two weeks but would like to think we can raise our game over what has been served up recently

Also, and I may be wrong in this assumption, but Turkish teams tend not to travel particularly well. Let’s try and get the first goal and take it front there.