***Official FIORENTINA Travel Thread - Meet up arrangements ***

JimmyCant

Our flight from Bologna was delayed for 2 hours today so we missed the train from Manchester to Edinburgh by 15 mins. Got tickets changed to the 18.10 train but that's currently stuck indefinitely at Lancaster due to a broken down train further up the line. Crap end to a great trip.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• Stuart Jack

• Wee Mikey

• Heartsmad1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heartsmad1874
6 minutes ago, 1953 said:

All I did was wave my ticket under a couple of people's noses and neither looked at my passport. I was quite far back in the queue and missed the start of the game. 

Doesn't seem they want to strictly enforce that italian law to be honest. One guy checking it was always going to lead to queues and eventually one person checking that many tickets is gonna start fading in his desire to check.

Heartsmad1874
3 minutes ago, Cruickshankforscotland said:

Stuart your contributions on this trip have been great. I greatly enjoyed the trip. My only downside was the Stadium “experience”. I’ve been to 6 Italian football grounds so was not surprised that the away section was indeed a tip. However, my real concern was the potential for serious crowd safety issues. As mentioned before, the first gate for ticket check was a shambles. How can there be a gap in that gate that allows folk in unchecked, possibly ticketless!! When actually through the turnstiles and in the ground there were absolutely no attempts at crowd control. I did not see any Stewards or Police present. Anybody could move about any section uncontrolled. There was no signage. Hence, the home club and authorities had no crowd safety control on that part of the stadium. In your experience would this be normal in Italian stadia? 99% of the time when crowd control is not carried out professionally and properly there is no adverse outcome. But sadly not always. 

At full time there was people climbing from the home end into the away end, surprised it took that long.

Also people on top of the fences/on concourse would not be stood for here in Scotland/UK.

All 3 european away games i've been to the stewards/police have had no interest in policing the away section.

1 hour ago, Cobblers said:

Great trip largely due to the fantastic support.  City was impressive but there were some downsides.  Toilets are a disgrace in just about every bar and restaurant you go in.  One unisex toilet usually with no seat.  It’s no wonder Covid spread like it did in Italy.  It must have been tough for the girls who travelled.  The fence with 2 small gates and no signs to to tell you where to go before you get into the stadium is a disaster waiting to happen.  Someone could get seriously hurt there.   In the main the police were pretty good as well.  All the worries about getting in to the home end and the level of checks on passports turned out to be largely unfounded.  I’m convinced you could have photocopied your ticket and gave it to someone else and they would have a good chance of getting in.  All in all though it was a great trip and having been to a number of away trips in Europe I thought this was the best Performance from a Hearts support that I’ve seen. 

Agree that the toilet provision in licensed premises was a disgrace. One of the pubs had one toilet with a queue. Another place which was one of the larger premises did have three urinals and one cubicle and also noticed separate ladies toilets but they were still inadequate for the size of the place.  

44 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

On the stadium,  I get its old and there's an emotional attachment but it's so out of date and that away end needs condemned. It's pretty third world.

Atmosphere, I get we aren't a big draw for fiorentina but I heard them about twice in two games.

I can't speak for the home match as I wasn't there. At Tynecastle we only had 800-odd but can assure you that we too sang for the whole match and made a noise. Apart from a spate of singing until the first goal went in, it was really quiet around the rest of the ground.

Edited by Stuart Jack
error

43 minutes ago, scottg71 said:

I’ve got about 15 bites. First time I’ve ever attracted the wee buggers. 

Im still swatting them away. I know they aren't here but the ****ers have got into my mind! 

33 minutes ago, Cruickshankforscotland said:

Stuart your contributions on this trip have been great. I greatly enjoyed the trip. My only downside was the Stadium “experience”. I’ve been to 6 Italian football grounds so was not surprised that the away section was indeed a tip. However, my real concern was the potential for serious crowd safety issues. As mentioned before, the first gate for ticket check was a shambles. How can there be a gap in that gate that allows folk in unchecked, possibly ticketless!! When actually through the turnstiles and in the ground there were absolutely no attempts at crowd control. I did not see any Stewards or Police present. Anybody could move about any section uncontrolled. There was no signage. Hence, the home club and authorities had no crowd safety control on that part of the stadium. In your experience would this be normal in Italian stadia? 99% of the time when crowd control is not carried out professionally and properly there is no adverse outcome. But sadly not always. 

Sorry to hear that but can't comment on that as I've never seen that side of things as an away fan there. As I said before, the Italian stadium situation is very different as only a handful in the country are owned and controlled by the clubs themselves. We are not one of them.

Can only hope that things improve when redevelopment and/or ownership happens in future.

Glad your overall experience was good.

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, Stuart Jack said:

Sorry to hear that but can't comment on that as I've never seen that side of things as an away fan there. As I said before, the Italian stadium situation is very different as only a handful in the country are owned and controlled by the clubs themselves. We are not one of them.

Can only hope that things improve when redevelopment and/or ownership happens in future.

Glad your overall experience was good.

Thanks for helping all the troops mate. Now, what do you know about Istanbul?

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

An opportunity to learn both on/off the park. Hopefully we’ll see a wee bit of creative thinking when it comes to giving the young team a proper opportunity, not a half arsed sop of a gesture, a chance to improve the atmosphere at Tynie.

Good to hear from the man and for those that travelled to get the recognition they deserve. 

7 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Thanks for helping all the troops mate. Now, what do you know about Istanbul?

Not a lot! My work is done! 😆

Don’t suppose there is any Jambos still at hu firenze camping in town? Left my purse there and they have it. Just before I look into getting a courier to pick it up and ship it home :( 

1 hour ago, Cruickshankforscotland said:

Yes it was interesting.  We reached the final ticket check and were  with a female without a ticket.  She had told us she had just blagged her way in to that point.  At the final checks there about 6 guys and 2 females doing the passport/ticket checks as well as searching us.  The 2 female stewards were busy with other female fans so the two male stewards we were stopped by just told our ticketless female she was ok to enter. I presume they were not allowed to search her. Seemed odd given everything we were told before but full marks to her. 

23 minutes ago, Inglis3901 said:

Don’t suppose there is any Jambos still at hu firenze camping in town? Left my purse there and they have it. Just before I look into getting a courier to pick it up and ship it home :( 

Know a couple who lost passports etc still there...

I actually thought that was one of the best away ends i’ve been in following Hearts. The dancefloor at the bottom, the ease you can move around, the seats not having backs to them that get in the way etc.

Toilets easy to find and no long queues. The view obviously isn’t great, but thats just the nature of those style stadiums.

Appreciate people like modern stadia, but I feel the set up of the away end in Florence contributed to the atmosphere

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We were loud but I wonder how louder it would have been in a roofed stadium? Always feel the atmosphere gets dampened in non-roofed stadiums.

Yeah the open stadium would've lost a lot of it.

34 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I actually thought that was one of the best away ends i’ve been in following Hearts. The dancefloor at the bottom, the ease you can move around, the seats not having backs to them that get in the way etc.

Toilets easy to find and no long queues. The view obviously isn’t great, but thats just the nature of those style stadiums.

Appreciate people like modern stadia, but I feel the set up of the away end in Florence contributed to the atmosphere

Same here. I'm actually quite surprised to see all of the criticism of it on here.

4 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Same here. I'm actually quite surprised to see all of the criticism of it on here.

Its KB, some will always moan Re of the high

On 11/10/2022 at 13:26, windsor1874 said:

Agreed. It's very poor. Keep bombarding them with emails then. Fingers crossed for you.

They arrived when I was at the Airport, and they worked fine on the phone despite wanting the back-up of a paper ticket.

Florence was a fantastic trip, friendly locals, brilliant weather, a stunning city, not as expensive as I was expecting etc, pity about the first half of the game.

Observations on the stadium experience, I was up there early and done a bit of walking around before settling in a bar opposite the main stand for a few beers, followed by a bit of a slog back around the rugby ground to get to the away end after asking police directions.

Crowd control was a shambles, and really poorly organised. The stadium is clearly an old stadium and whilst it may be architecturally important, they really need to just tear it down and preserve the facade of the main stand and the tower. The rest is a complete dump and wholly inadequate for modern crowd safety. There was a potential for real problems but thankfully nothing happened.  The view up the back however was pretty decent.

Then after the game, pointlessly held at the end of the street behind barriers, the police themselves caused a wholly avoidable problem, they could have let the fans drift away at their own pace into the night, except they allowed 2,000? to build up with pressure building at the front until the fans took matters into their own hands and pushed the barriers open, past the cops and go on their way into the city centre. The most pointless, ridiculous piece of crowd control I've ever witnessed.

All that said, a very enjoyable few days. I suspect I'll be back in Florence at some point.

Edited by Chuck Berry

UEFA should introduce to a “No mosquitos” rule……

Its a disgrace that the ancient city of Florence hasn’t outlawed these things. 

Stadio Artemio Franchi 

It reminded me of when we played Bologna in 1990, in many ways identical… however this is 2022 so it’s in a time warp!

Just a comment not a criticism!!

periodictabledancer
8 hours ago, Armageddon said:

What’s an easy way to post videos on here?

Upload to Youtube and post a link which will embed the vid clip in your post here. 

I'm sure there's other ways but I'ma dinosaur and do it that way. 

I was going to post a separate thread for this but will join the chorus here - getting into the stadium was a genuinely disgraceful experience.

We walked, and arrived off the bridge at 5.45. The police pointed us on a massive detour to the away end, fair enough, got through 2 police check points and arrived at the away end at 6.05. So in plenty time.

The scenes at this point were ridiculous, no one had a clue what was going on. There was one long queue snaking back at the left hand side of the fence then just a general stramash in the middle and right side. With no stewards or signs, word apparently got round that the long queue was for the away section and the stramash was for those with home end tickets. 

The home enders were getting in much more quickly than those in the long away queue, and many were just climbing through a gap in the fence, but we stuck with the away queue as we assumed there would be some sort of segregation on the other side. When we eventually got in at 6.55, we realised both "queues" were all just leading to the same place with no segregation whatsoever.

Missing the first 10 mins of a game when you arrive at the away end 40 mins before kick off isn't acceptable. If all 4000 Hearts fans showed up bang on 6pm then I could understand it - but loads were already in from the buses, people had arrived spread out. Is the only way to guarantee that all away fans get in on time for people to start arriving 2-3 hours before KO? 

There should be complaints from Hearts to Fiorentina about the cattle like way fans were treated. There was absolutely no need for it.

14 minutes ago, Jack-Bauer said:

I was going to post a separate thread for this but will join the chorus here - getting into the stadium was a genuinely disgraceful experience.

We walked, and arrived off the bridge at 5.45. The police pointed us on a massive detour to the away end, fair enough, got through 2 police check points and arrived at the away end at 6.05. So in plenty time.

The scenes at this point were ridiculous, no one had a clue what was going on. There was one long queue snaking back at the left hand side of the fence then just a general stramash in the middle and right side. With no stewards or signs, word apparently got round that the long queue was for the away section and the stramash was for those with home end tickets. 

The home enders were getting in much more quickly than those in the long away queue, and many were just climbing through a gap in the fence, but we stuck with the away queue as we assumed there would be some sort of segregation on the other side. When we eventually got in at 6.55, we realised both "queues" were all just leading to the same place with no segregation whatsoever.

Missing the first 10 mins of a game when you arrive at the away end 40 mins before kick off isn't acceptable. If all 4000 Hearts fans showed up bang on 6pm then I could understand it - but loads were already in from the buses, people had arrived spread out. Is the only way to guarantee that all away fans get in on time for people to start arriving 2-3 hours before KO? 

There should be complaints from Hearts to Fiorentina about the cattle like way fans were treated. There was absolutely no need for it.

Didn't Hearts say they were taking a few of their own stewards? Never saw them at all, at the very least they should have been at that first ticket check communicating and directing fans.

We got there around 5.30, just ahead of the fans buses by about a minute, so we were lucky and were in by about 5.50.

thehibsareintheirbeds

Luckily got there in good time (after an epic walk with detour) so got in to stadium in time but it was an absolute shambles and suprised no one got hurt. Buses of fans arriving, folk pushing into queue and squeezing through hole in fence- with one guy checking tickets and dozens off security and police standing about doing nowt. There were about 10 detectives surrounding a boy who tried to smuggle flares in at one point but missed the riot police getting involved fortunately. Police seemed decent generally though. 

What a trip, from moment our goal went in, the atmosphere just went to another level- that singing at full time was a thing of beauty. 

13 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I agree!

I actually thought the view we had in OS1 was better than expected. The fact it had no roof just made it seem like the Hearts support went on forever, we looked magnificent! They provided a dancefloor at the front that was well used and helped hugely with the atmosphere.

All depends what you're looking for out of your experience I guess?

@stuartjack - Thanks for all your help on this thread, really appreciated it.

34 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Didn't Hearts say they were taking a few of their own stewards? Never saw them at all, at the very least they should have been at that first ticket check communicating and directing fans.

We got there around 5.30, just ahead of the fans buses by about a minute, so we were lucky and were in by about 5.50.

We must have been there around the same time, never had any real issue getting in.

We did however make the mistake of trying to enter the other side then noticed it was all fenced off so had to walk right round the other smaller stadium. Signage/direction definitely lacking.

13 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Totally agree mate.  Up the back of OS1, but could still get out for beer/toilet when required - good times.

Arrived at ground fairly early - no crush, no drama and very friendly stewards/police.

16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We must have been there around the same time, never had any real issue getting in.

We did however make the mistake of trying to enter the other side then noticed it was all fenced off so had to walk right round the other smaller stadium. Signage/direction definitely lacking.

14 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Totally agree mate.  Up the back of OS1, but could still get out for beer/toilet when required - good times.

Arrived at ground fairly early - no crush, no drama and very friendly stewards/police.

Yeah agreed, being hemmed in with the fences means that there isnt a need for over the top stewarding/policing inside the ground.

Not trying to encourage away ends at Tynecastle to have a better time, but a (moveable) barrier like such could potentially save us on some stewarding/the need to cover seats which can’t be sold.

2 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Hearts stewards were inside the stadium gates when we arrived about an hour from kick off on the 2nd tranche of buses. They were also organising us all when crossing the railway bridge

after the match.

Very poor queue management outside and some Hearts stewards there would have been helpful. Some interesting self policing of queue but took far too long to get in, 2 entry points was a joke. Great night nevertheless,  fair play to the fans at the front showing a level of commitment and enthusiasm that the players need to follow,  mebbe without the same level of drinking. 

Not long home from all I can explain is without a doubt  the best away experience i have ever been to. From arriving in Dublin Airport to leaving this morning. There just seemed to be maroon everywhere you looked. I also have fallen in love with Florence  what a beautiful city and the welcome we were given over the few days. Loved chatting and sharing stories with complete strangers and the atmosphere from the Red Garter on Wednesday and then again on Thursday. Walking down towards the square at around 2 o clock and the hairs just stood up on the back of my neck. All I can say is WAAW. The non stop singing, drums and fireworks were amazing to see and hear. I have never witnessed an away end like it. Pure madness and I loved every second of it. The partying then continued onto Friday night as well in the Tartan Jock  don't know where everyone found the voice to sing as mine was gone. So a massive thank you to all you amazing jambos and people of Florence ❤️❤️❤️

3 hours ago, Weonly151 said:

Not long home from all I can explain is without a doubt  the best away experience i have ever been to. From arriving in Dublin Airport to leaving this morning. There just seemed to be maroon everywhere you looked. I also have fallen in love with Florence  what a beautiful city and the welcome we were given over the few days. Loved chatting and sharing stories with complete strangers and the atmosphere from the Red Garter on Wednesday and then again on Thursday. Walking down towards the square at around 2 o clock and the hairs just stood up on the back of my neck. All I can say is WAAW. The non stop singing, drums and fireworks were amazing to see and hear. I have never witnessed an away end like it. Pure madness and I loved every second of it. The partying then continued onto Friday night as well in the Tartan Jock  don't know where everyone found the voice to sing as mine was gone. So a massive thank you to all you amazing jambos and people of Florence ❤️❤️❤️

It was phenomenal. God knows what time the singing in the wee street just off Santa Croce went on till on the Wednesday night. Think I left around 1am as I was burst. I did, though, learn that Rudi Skacel is a ****ing goal machine. 

Hope none of the local residents were trying to sleep.

😎

Bret the Hitman Hearts
On 13/10/2022 at 08:24, Sydney Devine said:

So what’s the general view are we getting buses or marching together?   I just had a hangover recovery walk from Piazza dela republica to the stadium and it took me just shy of 40 minutes.  

I see there is a bridge of doom to battle across!!!!  

73C8C4F3-BB64-45BA-8C23-0425B34A15C7.jpeg

5FD8EBF5-7196-44D2-BD1E-820068F9FC77.jpeg

We christened it the "ponte di doom" on our way to the stadium

32 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

This evening in Bologna I was randomly walking down a random street and I saw THIS 😱 ….

037F428C-4EA2-468B-A2DC-DAA143EB6920.jpeg

6D77100C-B022-44C1-BA56-B53AA3FAE824.jpeg

🤣 they're everywhere, I saw a few in Pisa this morning as well

35 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

This evening in Bologna I was randomly walking down a random street and I saw THIS 😱 ….

037F428C-4EA2-468B-A2DC-DAA143EB6920.jpeg

6D77100C-B022-44C1-BA56-B53AA3FAE824.jpeg

And you were looking at the badge?

:Aye:

8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

😂 

Last time I was in Bologna was November 1990, at this match ….

E5FECACB-8A00-4788-8E00-6D1BF3687A8B.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

PS now that you mention .. nice legs shame about the ..

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

PS now that you mention .. nice legs shame about the ..

👍

Mantlepiece, and stoking the fire, come to mind.  🤓

Amazing trip, up there with the best atmosphere wise. Echo the shocking stories re access to the stadium. Took me 50 minutes to get in, just in time to see the ball being picked out the net at goal number 2. I think there came a stage where someone said enough was enough, get everyone in. Nobody checked my ticket or passport and a security guard asked to see in my bag. I unzipped it and he said, that's fine!

Let's be honest, the stadium was rubbish, although we had a lot of fun in what we christened the mosh pit.

Anyway, here's our photos. 

7 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Amazing trip, up there with the best atmosphere wise. Echo the shocking stories re access to the stadium. Took me 50 minutes to get in, just in time to see the ball being picked out the net at goal number 2. I think there came a stage where someone said enough was enough, get everyone in. Nobody checked my ticket or passport and a security guard asked to see in my bag. I unzipped it and he said, that's fine!

Let's be honest, the stadium was rubbish, although we had a lot of fun in what we christened the mosh pit.

Anyway, here's our photos. 

Brilliant just brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

11 hours ago, leginten said:

It was phenomenal. God knows what time the singing in the wee street just off Santa Croce went on till on the Wednesday night. Think I left around 1am as I was burst. I did, though, learn that Rudi Skacel is a ****ing goal machine. 

Hope none of the local residents were trying to sleep.

😎

This was phenomenal. What a bounce. 

Edited by Mac80

1 hour ago, Mac80 said:

This was phenomenal. What a bounce. 

Absolutely loved that and not an exaggeration to say that song must have went on for at least 20 mins 😂