Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

The right to strike is still accepting in this and other democracies.

Slippery slope to facism to deny that.

There is a fair right to strike but not to sustain it for a long period like two weeks and target a city like Edinburgh for publicity because its got a festival on.  We are now in the position where hygene and public health is at risk.

I'd like to see legislation to time limit strike action and have a minimum gap between strikes.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There is a fair right to strike but not to sustain it for a long period like two weeks and target a city like Edinburgh for publicity because its got a festival on.  We are now in the position where hygene and public health is at risk.

I'd like to see legislation to time limit strike action and have a minimum gap between strikes.

Been around 12 years since the last bin strike.

Council workers have accepted 10 years of low wage increases. 

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Which would make it totally pointless. For someone that's not a Tory.........

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It’s quite complex this. I’m private sector and I haven’t had a pay rise for a while. It’s not great but I can’t say anyone at my place is being militant about it. We don’t earn big but we’re on steady wages 

In contrast, there’s a definite tendency among public services for them to strike and disrupt any time they don’t like what’s being asked of them. Quite a lot of those strikes affect ordinary folk rather than hammering the government directly.

The context this time though is that the government have allowed services across the UK to decay badly and their intransigence has been blindingly obvious. They need a rocket up the arse and they need to have their woeful governance thrown in their face. The strikes need to be aggressive to cause unrest and the average person should be supporting them. Because this government does not care about you or give a **** about you. Time to fight back.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Been around 12 years since the last bin strike.

Council workers have accepted 10 years of low wage increases. 

That is down to the Scottish Government funding of local authorities.

I also don't believe in fixed salary grades.  I think salary should be performance linked like the private sector in various companies I've worked.

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s quite complex this. I’m private sector and I haven’t had a pay rise for a while. It’s not great but I can’t say anyone at my place is being militant about it. We don’t earn big but we’re on steady wages 

In contrast, there’s a definite tendency among public services for them to strike and disrupt any time they don’t like what’s being asked of them. Quite a lot of those strikes affect ordinary folk rather than hammering the government directly.

The context this time though is that the government have allowed services across the UK to decay badly and their intransigence has been blindingly obvious. They need a rocket up the arse and they need to have their woeful governance thrown in their face. The strikes need to be aggressive to cause unrest and the average person should be supporting them. Because this government does not care about you or give a **** about you. Time to fight back.

I think that will happen if energy prices aren't dealt with and capped longer term in the next couple of weeks once the Tory leader is in place.

I've said for some time I see rioting, and some of the Tory MPs will need to watch their backs.

What we can't do is give everyone across the public sector huge wage rises now and see inflation go past 20%.  We will be in a race to the bottom if that happens and there will be job losses as those rises will have to come from somewhere.

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think that will happen if energy prices aren't dealt with and capped longer term in the next couple of weeks once the Tory leader is in place.

I've said for some time I see rioting, and some of the Tory MPs will need to watch their backs.

What we can't do is give everyone across the public sector huge wage rises now and see inflation go past 20%.  We will be in a race to the bottom if that happens and there will be job losses as those rises will have to come from somewhere.

Wasn’t Johnson saying about a year or so ago that Britain was going to become a high wage, low tax economy now? 
Thats changed? 
I hate the strikes and mess as much as the next man but the “I’ve got no rights at my work so nobody else should have”  mantra is a bit off, It’s a slippery slope that for me. 
The people I know in the private sector too have bonuses coming out their ears and seems like freebies every other week. 
These bin men aren’t on great wages. 
It’s nothing like the same. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Wasn’t Johnson saying about a year or so ago that Britain was going to become a high wage, low tax economy now? 
Thats changed? 
I hate the strikes and mess as much as the next man but the “I’ve got no rights at my work so nobody else has” mantra is a bit off, It’s a slippery slope that for me. 
The people I know in the private sector too have bonuses coming out their ears and seems like freebies every other week. 
These bin men aren’t on great wages. 
It’s nothing like the same. 

That wasn't what I said.  I was told early on that there is no loyalty in employment - you are there to do a job and can and will be replaced.  These decisions often happen way above by people who don't know you.  I've experienced redundancy a few times, the first time just after buying my first flat, but have managed to move on.

Bonuses where I work in finance were around 2-3%, and certainly not been getting freebies.  Long hours without overtime trying to meet project deadlines.

I'm not going to defend Boris - his record must be the worst in my lifetime.

52 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Those bin bags on Waveley bridge should be taken a few hundred yards up the road and dumped outside city chambers for those clowns to deal with.

More appropriate down to Scottish Parliament or wherever the SNP hide these days. 

Edited by Mikey1874

51 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

More appropriate down to Scottish Parliament or wherever the SNP hide these days. 

Dump them outside Bute House and have the camera's there when they do it.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm 10 minutes away.

Good idea. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm 10 minutes away.

Good idea. 

If people want to get Sturgeon's attention, I can't think of a better place to get it.

28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If people want to get Sturgeon's attention, I can't think of a better place to get it.

28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You’d be better dropping it off in Glasgow rather than the official residency of the first minister. 

7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You’d be better dropping it off in Glasgow rather than the official residency of the first minister. 

It would be the symbolism of piles of rubbish outside Bute House and would directly relate to the situation in Edinburgh right now.

Besides they probably wouldn't notice piles of rubbish in Glasgow, place has been a rubbish dump for centuries.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It would be the symbolism of piles of rubbish outside Bute House and would directly relate to the situation in Edinburgh right now.

Besides they probably wouldn't notice piles of rubbish in Glasgow, place has been a rubbish dump for centuries.

Very true Jimbo. 😂

9 hours ago, FFSJohn said:

Get back to work idiots

Guess what finger they would be showing you right now? 

The one that is most likely stuck up your arse at night. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

19 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

She's not in - swanned off to Denmark for three days to open a trade mission...

36 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Should i put my bin out or have the bin sacks at the ready, 😕,

I'd imagine they will only be doing city centre areas where the tourists are.

Council doesn't give a shit about the residents.

Just seen on indeed pertemps is looking for binmen in Edinburgh, Dunno if it's biffa or someone who does it privately or of it's council. Would be hilarious if they got a load of ***** in to undermine the strike. Would cause a riot.

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Even better, because when she came back she'd have a choice of either just letting it all sit there or get someone in to remove it all, I wouldn't think that would go down very well with the striking bin men.  Either way puts her in a difficult position.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I'd imagine they will only be doing city centre areas where the tourists are.

Council doesn't give a shit about the residents.

👍

JudyJudyJudy
23 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The right to strike is still accepted as part of reasonable freedom in this and other democracies.

Slippery slope to facism to deny that.

yep

23 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Completely agree with the strike and I hope others strike too.  Its the only avenue left for many now and its effective. 

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Clown heels as much use as a chocolate teapot 

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Just seen on indeed pertemps is looking for binmen in Edinburgh, Dunno if it's biffa or someone who does it privately or of it's council. Would be hilarious if they got a load of ***** in to undermine the strike. Would cause a riot.

I’m not for any point scoring at all with stuff like this. I’m all for doing something. 
They need to clean the place up now though. Get the army in or anyone they can to sort this mess. 
My patience will start to wear a tad thin.

Diadora Van Basten

I think the idea that the Government can stop a wage/price spiral is fanciful and everyone will be looking for wage increases and benefits increases that are in line with inflation.

It is inevitable that workers will win these increases and the state of Edinburgh City Centre within a week confirms this.

29 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think the idea that the Government can stop a wage/price spiral is fanciful and everyone will be looking for wage increases and benefits increases that are in line with inflation.

It is inevitable that workers will win these increases and the state of Edinburgh City Centre within a week confirms this.

If all the public sector unions demand it at once (which appears to be the case), none will get a decent rise.

I've said it a number of times but lump sums are the best result and deal with wage rises separately.

On 25/08/2022 at 11:55, frankblack said:

No, the council are letting militant Marxist unions take the piss out of the council tax payers of Edinburgh.

Hopefully that zombie government in WM puts some heavy handed trade union legislation in place pronto (once that pointless leaders contest is resolved in next week or so).

I work in the private sector.  If I don't like what I'm getting paid, I can work harder to earn a promotion or find another job elsewhere.

Lets play spot the right wing tory.....

Nah, too easy.

Diadora Van Basten
34 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If all the public sector unions demand it at once (which appears to be the case), none will get a decent rise.

I've said it a number of times but lump sums are the best result and deal with wage rises separately.

I think the unions will get their members a decent rise and Governments will realise that the increase in pay results in extra tax etc. to meet this expenditure.

The only answer to the problem of high inflation is in fact inflation. Trying to keep down wages be it in the public sector or private sector is not going to work. Private sector staff will move elsewhere and public sector staff will go on strike.

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Lets play spot the right wing tory.....

Nah, too easy.

:cornette:

For soneone who knows how I vote from numerous political threads, that is complete lies coming from you.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

City is starting to smell awful now.

Poor show all round.

Wear a clothes peg then 

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

:cornette:

For soneone who knows how I vote from numerous political threads, that is complete lies coming from you.

Yes I'm being mischievous Frank but youre using words like "militant" and hoping the tories introduce laws to kill the unions.

That's just a race to the bottom that will effect everyone's working rights. Once they did that it would be the end of any workers rights and you know this.

The bin workers and anyone else on strike just now are not just striking for money (which after 12 years of tory austerity they have the right to do), but changes in their contracts and working conditions etc.

Time the fat cats coughed up!

Edited by Pans Jambo

3 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think the unions will get their members a decent rise and Governments will realise that the increase in pay results in extra tax etc. to meet this expenditure.

The only answer to the problem of high inflation is in fact inflation. Trying to keep down wages be it in the public sector or private sector is not going to work. Private sector staff will move elsewhere and public sector staff will go on strike.

The money isn't there to give everyone a rise, hence any significant settlement can only be a lump sum.  Even the private sector means test who they awarded those lump sums.

Salary varies significantly between low and high earners - even in the public sector.

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yes I'm being mischievous Frank but youre using words like "militant" and hoping the tories introduce laws to kill the unions.

That's just a race to the bottom that will effect everyone's working rights. Once they did that it would be the end of any workers rights and you know this.

No, certain roles like health, waste, and social care need to run and can't be held to ransom for two weeks (actually 4 because the vindictive marxist unions timed it to start on landfill collection for maximum damage).

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

The bin workers and anyone else on strike just now are not just striking for money (which after 12 years of tory austerity they have the right to do), but changes in their contracts and working conditions etc.

Time the fat cats coughed up!

Its the SNP who control the local government purse strings, not the tories.

John Swinney is involved in negotiations I believe.

The money the unions want just isn't there to offer.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The money isn't there to give everyone a rise, hence any significant settlement can only be a lump sum.  Even the private sector means test who they awarded those lump sums.

Salary varies significantly between low and high earners - even in the public sector.

I agree it should be a cash value raise not a percentage. As an example, a high school classroom assistant is on around £14000 which is an embarrassing pittance whereas a head-teacher could be on £65,000.

5% of £14k is £700

5% of £65k is £3250

Needs "levelled up" and a percentage raise is only going to make things even worse.

3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I agree it should be a cash value raise not a percentage. As an example, a high school classroom assistant is on around £14000 which is an embarrassing pittance whereas a head-teacher could be on £65,000.

5% of £14k is £700

5% of £65k is £3250

Needs "levelled up" and a percentage raise is only going to make things even worse.

In my work given your example those on £14k got a lump sum of under £1.5k, and those over £40k+ got nothing.

That seems fairer.

Edited by frankblack

They deserve fair raises. 

The state of the city after just 7 days confirms how important they are. To declare they can’t be held ransom by the workers we rely on to provide those services is quite Tory. They should just take it up the pipe because some folk find the smell icky? You call it maximum damage, I call it maximum exposure of their crucial role in managing something folk take for granted. 

Maybe Scotland should demonstrate it’s left-wing credentials and demand income tax raises to support their fellow workers? 

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No, certain roles like health, waste, and social care need to run and can't be held to ransom for two weeks (actually 4 because the vindictive marxist unions timed it to start on landfill collection for maximum damage).

Its the SNP who control the local government purse strings, not the tories.

John Swinney is involved in negotiations I believe.

The money the unions want just isn't there to offer.

Not saying its not the SNP in this example but don't deny the state the UK is in is because of the SNP. The whole of these islands are going down the shitter. Its a failed state. 12 years is too long to keep fleecing the taxpayers. 

We paid for the bankers after the tories deregulated the banking system and there was no protection when the yanks brought down the entire system.

We paid for the failed Covid PPE and all the schemes whilst the tories and their pals swanned off into the sunset with Billions of taxpayers money

We paid and are still paying for Brexit and all that entails with the massive reductions in our economy.

We will be paying BIG when the tories deregulated the energy markets and let 2 men and a dug in a shed run a power utility company. They all went bust and we are paying for that.

We paid, they took, now its time for them to pay us back!

Edited by Pans Jambo

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

In my work given your example those on £14k got a lump sum of under £1.5k, and those over £40k+ got nothing.

That seems fairer.

Agreed but £1400 still seems a bit low.

Diadora Van Basten
3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not saying its not the SNP in this example but don't deny the state the UK is in is because of the SNP. The whole of these islands are going down the shitter. Its a failed state. 12 years is too long to keep fleecing the taxpayers. 

We paid for the bankers after the tories deregulated the banking system and there was no protection when the yanks brought down the entire system.

We paid for the failed Covid PPE and all the schemes whilst the tories and their pals swanned off into the sunset with Billions of taxpayers money

We paid and are still paying for Brexit and all that entails with the massive reductions in our economy.

We will be paying BIG when the tories deregulated the energy markets and let 2 men and a dug in a shed run a power utility company. They all went bust and we are paying for that.

We paid, they took, now its time for them to pay us back!

Agreed the levels of inequality in the UK are horrendous and it took the poll tax riots to bring down Thatcher.

Inequality has been on the rise and low earners are expected to accept a drop in living standards and I think they won’t accept it. 

5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

When Gordon Brown was Chancellor he boasted about the lack of regulation of UK financial services which he claimed was a strength of our economy. History proved he was very wrong of course, but I don’t think he was a Tory.

3 minutes ago, Korky said:

When Gordon Brown was Chancellor he boasted about the lack of regulation of UK financial services which he claimed was a strength of our economy. History proved he was very wrong of course, but I don’t think he was a Tory.

Fair point. Not looked up its skirt recently but I'd bet that not a lot has changed in the banking sector to protect the tax payer since then. Other than sound bites, some medium flower arranging and regulation with 12 foot holes in it.

Pasquale for King

Have the tories returned us to Victorian times yet? Gardyloo making a come back soon? Lower the working age next? 
Im behind the strikes 100% but you’ve proved your point guys. 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Korky said:

He certainly isn’t a socialist or anywhere near the left.