***Official Heart of Midlothian v Dundee United Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

No Idle Talk

If Stephen Kingsley is back then I suspect that will mean a return to 3-4-3. I hope Robbie resists that temptation and goes 4-2-3-1 again. That attacking diamond of Boyce-Mackay-Forrest-Shankland is well worth another look. Go with a back four of Cochrane-Kingsley-Halkett-Smith. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

• Don Dan

Heart of Darkness
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Mom tomorrow 🤣

You could bet your life savings on it happening!! 😖       🤣🤣🤣

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

If Stephen Kingsley is back then I suspect that will mean a return to 3-4-3. I hope Robbie resists that temptation and goes 4-2-3-1 again. That attacking diamond of Boyce-Mackay-Forrest-Shankland is well worth another look. Go with a back four of Cochrane-Kingsley-Halkett-Smith. 

Given our thinness in attack I'd rather go 3-4-3 with Shanks up front and sub Boyce in for him at 55' or so. Cochrane has been doing a fine job contributing to the attack from LWB.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

You could bet your life savings on it happening!! 😖       🤣🤣🤣

He will be getting mentioned on the transfer chat by tea time tomorrow 🤦🏽

Heart of Darkness
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He will be getting mentioned on the transfer chat by tea time tomorrow 🤦🏽

😆😆😆

Joking aside we will put 3 past him tomorrow with none past CG!! 😃

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Great chance to take an early grip of 3rd. Hopefully we're on it from the off.

Yup,United Aberdeen and Hibs expected to be our nearest challengers,great opportunity to give us a wee cushion and winning mood for Thursday.

The White Cockade

From what Robbie said I doubt Kingsley will start

Doubt there will be many changes from last two lineups

No longer active

Just watched Man U on MOTD. We need to stop messing around with the ball at bye kicks. Look what happens to a team against a high press like United surely will be tomorrow!

By all means play out from the back. But a team that’s fine their homework will see us messing around with funnies in our own penalty box.

Edited by George Cowie

KyleLafferty
Just now, George Cowie said:

Just watched Man U on MOTD. We need to stop messing around with the ball at bye kicks. Look what happens to a team with a high press like United surely will be tomorrow!

By all means play out from the back. But a team that’s fine their homework will see us messing around with funnies in our own penalty box.

Rather we done that than punt a 50/50 ball up in the air. 

On 12/08/2022 at 10:47, ri Alban said:

17-0   5 Shankland hattricks and a Boycie double.

And at least 3 or 4 sklaffed misses by Boyce for good measure😉

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Rather we done that than punt a 50/50 ball up in the air. 

Nah, our back 3 / back 4 isn’t good enough!  I’ve even seen Man City concede from trying to play out from a goal kick.  Seen loads of teams concede from doing it but think I’ve only ever seen one team score at the other end (maybe Arsenal, can’t remember now).  

It’s a new craze, almost Hibs like thing, saying “look at us, we’ve got ball playing centre backs” bit in reality most teams that employ this tactic aren’t good enough to do it and the defenders trying it are donkeys.  Really boils my pish and it’s a ridiculous way to concede avoidable goals. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Heart of Darkness said:

😆😆😆

Joking aside we will put 3 past him tomorrow with none past CG!! 😃

I’m looking forward to it. 
Hopefully we can s ore early and maybe give a wee rest to McKay and Shankland. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, George Cowie said:

Just watched Man U on MOTD. We need to stop messing around with the ball at bye kicks. Look what happens to a team against a high press like United surely will be tomorrow!

Brilliant to watch a team like Brentford do that.
I don’t think Jack Ross is a particular exponent of the high press though. 

KyleLafferty
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Nah, our back 3 / back 4 isn’t good enough!  I’ve even seen Man City concede from trying to play out from a goal kick.  Seen loads of teams concede from doing it but think I’ve only ever seen one team score at the other end (maybe Arsenal, can’t remember now).  

It’s a new craze, almost Hibs like thing, saying “look at us, we’ve got ball playing centre backs” bit in reality most teams that employ this tactic aren’t good enough to do it and the defenders trying it are donkeys.  Really boils my pish and it’s a ridiculous way to concede avoidable goals. 

Nah punting the ball for their centre backs to win is more infuriating. Every team does it so they must seen a benefit? I haven’t seen hearts concede a goal doing it so we must be doing it right 😬

Heart of Darkness
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m looking forward to it. 
Hopefully we can s ore early and maybe give a wee rest to McKay and Shankland. 

Aye give Shankland an early goal or 2 & I would really like Boyce to get a couple and go on a wee scoring run!! 🙏

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Aye give Shankland an early goal or 2 & I would really like Boyce to get a couple and go on a wee scoring run!! 🙏

Boyce definitely needs a few goals, hopefully we will create chances for him tomorrow and he can take them. 

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Nah punting the ball for their centre backs to win is more infuriating. Every team does it so they must seen a benefit? I haven’t seen hearts concede a goal doing it so we must be doing it right 😬

Agreed. 

Can't believe folk are wanting us to try and stop playing football to punt it and play % football. 

Can't make it up. 

Is Smith out?

If not, I'd like to see another 4231

Gordon

Smith Halkett Rowles Kingsley

Haring Devlin

McKay Grant Halliday

Shankland

I was very tempted to put Cochrane in instead of Halliday at LAM, but Halliday is actually an attacking midfielder and left footed so could be a good game to play him there. Reasoning for Cochrane was that he's been outstanding and doesn't deserve to be dropped but Kingsley is in our top 3 outfield players and I think they could overlap down the left to cause Utd problems.

Could make a reasonable case to keep Forrest in, or play GMS. Think Halliday is capable in that role though. I'm sure his goals against Hibs were from that left side. 

Hungry hippo
2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

From what Robbie said I doubt Kingsley will start

Doubt there will be many changes from last two lineups

Yeah, sounded like he'll be on the bench.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Is Smith out?

Gordon

Haring Devlin

McKay Grant Halliday

Shankland

I was very tempted to put Cochrane in instead of Halliday at LAM, but Halliday is actually an attacking midfielder and left footed so could be a good game to play him there. Reasoning for Cochrane was that he's been outstanding and doesn't deserve to be dropped but Kingsley is in our top 3 outfield players and I think they could overlap down the left to cause Utd problems.

Could make a reasonable case to keep Forrest in, or play GMS. Think Halliday is capable in that role though. I'm sure his goals against Hibs were from that left side. 

Cochrane is the first name on the team sheet for me just now. He’s been great since he came back full time. We’ll revert to a back 3 when Kingsley is fit IMO. Our difficult choices are on the other side of the pitch.

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

I can’t stand it. Play it out wide or to the deep lying midfield by all means but not 6 yards to a central defender.

I don’t mind going long with it either as long as we’re totally focussed on winning the second ball from the defensive header

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It's a crucial ingredient in how we play, it beats me how fans can be into football and not see that. It's how we draw the opposition out and stretch them, creating space for us to play through and round.

If we don't do that, we're left trying to break down 2 banks of 5 digging in more often than not, and we don't have the players to do that.

6 hours ago, Canscot said:

And at least 3 or 4 sklaffed misses by Boyce for good measure😉

Feck it, Boyce hattrick. 18-0. 

:rudiyas:

I think this is a key game in terms of anticipating how the league will pan out. We all know who the top 2 will be, but Hearts are obviously looking for that 3rd spot.

A team heading for 3rd should predominately be winning at home against what may be considered a potential rival for that spot. A side some pundits have tipped as a possible 3rd place themselves.

14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think this is a key game in terms of anticipating how the league will pan out. We all know who the top 2 will be, but Hearts are obviously looking for that 3rd spot.

A team heading for 3rd should predominately be winning at home against what may be considered a potential rival for that spot. A side some pundits have tipped as a possible 3rd place themselves.

I think it’s still a wee bit early to get a feel for how it’ll all pan out but we need to win at home against non OF sides.

Devlin in for Grant would be the only change. The legs of Devlin and Haring in the middle should ensure we control the game and let the front 4 do there thing. Grant on the bench also gives us a good attacking option. 

Ricardo Quaresma
6 hours ago, OTT said:

Is Smith out?

Gordon

Haring Devlin

McKay Grant Halliday

Shankland

Think Robbie must be considering playing Cochrane on left wing; the lad hasn't done wrong, in fact he has done great; his confidence must be so high, I think he could play anywhere, McKay could go central & keep Jorge as impact sub

Kingsley or Cochrane? Do not see anything wrong with having a strong left side with both Kingsley and Cochrane. We're lucky to have both. Cochrane should not be benched, playing very well and will battle, never hides. He can be full back, wing back, left midfield and will excel in any of those roles at this time, with more to come.

Dick Dastardly
9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I've seen loads of teams concede when they punt the ball up. What ya gonna do? 

Dick Dastardly

Gordon

Sibbick Halkett Rowles 

Atkinson                      Cochrane 

Haring Devlin 

Boyce Shankland McKay 

Hearts 2 Shankland Atkinson 

Utd      1 T. Osser

Edited by Dick Dastardly
Added the score

Pub in Belfast for the game today?  
Game jammed in between West Ham, then Chelsea. Don’t want to have to tell them not to turn the TV over. 

Getintaethem
11 hours ago, George Cowie said:

if we had played out from the back with our bye kick at Easter Road, with just 50 seconds remaining, we’d have won the game.  Punting it hopefully upfield was our undoing.

pettigrewsstylist
9 hours ago, OTT said:

Is Smith out?

Gordon

Haring Devlin

McKay Grant Halliday

Shankland

Cant ignore Kingsleys goals. Also need him to get good runout for Thu. Tough on Cochrane if so tho.

12 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Given our thinness in attack I'd rather go 3-4-3 with Shanks up front and sub Boyce in for him at 55' or so. Cochrane has been doing a fine job contributing to the attack from LWB.

Nothing to stop us playing a front 3 of Boyce Shankland Mackay and benching Forrest who didn’t have a great derby 

Cochrane has to start for me. I’d keep Kingsley on the bench and make sure he is fit for Zurich 

Edited by JimmyCant

August Landmesser
14 minutes ago, Sid said:

Pub in Belfast for the game today?  
Game jammed in between West Ham, then Chelsea. Don’t want to have to tell them not to turn the TV over. 

It's not on TV, it's only on Sunday because of Utd playing on Thursday 

August Landmesser
Just now, Sid said:

Thanks. 

You might find a sneaky stream online, or set up a VPN and pay for a month of Hearts TV international, not sure how practical that is if you're out on the batter in Belfast though!

The challenge for Neilson is fitting Rowles, Kingsley and Cochrane into the team at the same time.

I know Halkett is better in the middle of a back three, however I suspect he might play Halkett on the right (our weakness) of the back three.

Halkett    Kingsley    Rowles

Cochrane 

John Findlay

I don't care what the starting eleven is, I don't care what people see as the conceived formation is.

What I do care about is Heart of Midlothian scoring more goals than Dundee United, and therefore winning three points. Simple as that.

10 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

The challenge for Neilson is fitting Rowles, Kingsley and Cochrane into the team at the same time.

I know Halkett is better in the middle of a back three, however I suspect he might play Halkett on the right (our weakness) of the back three.

Cochrane 

I am not sure Kingsley will start today. Robbie suggested he would be on the bench and he is hopeful that he will get some game time at some point ready for the Zurich game.

Boyces beard
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I am not sure Kingsley will start today. Robbie suggested he would be on the bench and he is hopeful that he will get some game time at some point ready for the Zurich game.

I agree, i think we will start with the same line up as last week.

10 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agreed. 

Can't believe folk are wanting us to try and stop playing football to punt it and play % football. 

Can't make it up. 

I think you are maybe getting the wrong idea about having a target man. I certainly think we could do worse than having a big man up front to take the ball and hold it for our support players. It doesn't have to be lumped up in the air. Simms did this well for us and we have seen what Nouble can do as well.

That doesn't mean we stop passing the ball on the ground but what it does do is give you options if the wide players are being closed down too quickly and not providing balls into the box.

Our first game against Ross Co we were lumping the ball in the air for Shankland on numerous occasions and he is hardly that type of player.

37 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

if we had played out from the back with our bye kick at Easter Road, with just 50 seconds remaining, we’d have won the game.  Punting it hopefully upfield was our undoing.

I think to an extent Robbie wants us to play out from the back because Craig Gordon's kicking is so bad. He is a great Goalkeeper but his kicking is the one part of his game that has never improved.

1 minute ago, The Black Prince said:

Any danger of a reaction from DU after their debacle midweek?

I would be extremely surprised if there isn't as will Jack Ross. Let's face it we are the team that most teams break their duck against.

I am sure Robbie and his coaches will be drumming it into the players that they will be out to make ammends to their fans but it is down to how our players react.

Hopefully we get right in about them and don't sit back letting them dictate the game.

29 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Cochrane 

Any winger with a bit of pace would roast Halkett in that position

Harry Potter
21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I don't care what the starting eleven is, I don't care what people see as the conceived formation is.

What I do care about is Heart of Midlothian scoring more goals than Dundee United, and therefore winning three points. Simple as that.

Spot on John.