***Official Heart of Midlothian v Dundee United Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Arthur Morgan
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Obviously not against us, but I'm happy seeing Watt doing ok for himself. I always thought he was a bawhair away from going on a run at Hearts but it just never happened for him. Good to see he's found himself as a player.

He's been relatively shite at United has he not? He had a good spell for Motherwell tbf but since he's joined Dundee Utd I think he's only scored 1 or 2 goals? 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

• Don Dan

Unknown user
Just now, Arthur Morgan said:

He's been relatively shite at United has he not? He had a good spell for Motherwell tbf but since he's joined Dundee Utd I think he's only scored 1 or 2 goals? 

:laugh2: sounds about right, I thought they loved him

Hopefully a win that will see Hearts fans proud to support the team, with the player's actually giving 100% for the whole game, and not too many formations changes, keep it simple. 

That thing you do
14 hours ago, Homme said:

They got stuck in v AZ and got a brilliant result as a reward. Draw with Killie and a loss to livi suggest everyone is overrating them though. 

Especially since they are coming off the back of a difficult Euro tie I think we win this one comfortably. 2-0 Hearts.

Tbf killie was 92nd minute and United had 10 men.

Livi was energy preservation for Alkmaar.

If United have a heavy night energy wise in holland I expect changes v Hearts 

If a I had the choice of Shankland or Boyce scoring a double or more I'd choose Boyce.  I rate him highly as a player but feel he doesn't find the net often enough.  A goal ot two would be great for his morale.

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, Cory McNamara said:

Heart of Midlothian F.C. vs. Dundee United F.C. 1-1

Watt, Fletcher (own goal)

Harkes returns

Have you admitted to being a utd fan?

8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'd say both teams to score is a nap tbh.

We will have our first clean sheet of the season 

Dundee Utd at home is always one to look forward to much like the sheep.    This has got goals in it.  3-1 Hearts.  

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hopefully a win that will see Hearts fans proud to support the team, with the player's actually giving 100% for the whole game, and not too many formations changes, keep it simple. 

We only play 2 formations. 

How many is "not too many". 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I will presume our defence will start to get it’s house in order and that we can take advantage of D Utd being away this midweek.

2-0

Shankland and Forest

We need to be aggressive from the off and not try and defend especially if we are in front. As we seen on Sunday it simply doesn’t work. You can defend a three goal lead but not a one goal lead. Will Robbie learn from his mistakes? 

Edited by Imaman

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, Imaman said:

We need to be aggressive from the off and not try and defend especially if we are in front. As we seen on Sunday it simply doesn’t work. You can defend a three goal lead but not a one goal lead. Will Robbie learn from his mistakes? 

Lots of teams defend 1 goal leads and even draws all o ER the world. 

3 goal leads are rare in the SPFL, in derbies they are very rare. 

Horatio Caine
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Lots of teams defend 1 goal leads and even draws all o ER the world. 

3 goal leads are rare in the SPFL, in derbies they are very rare. 

Hate to say it, but Livi successfully (and comfortably)  defended a one goal lead away from home on Sunday.

RustyRightPeg

They will in all likelihood be shattered on Sunday. We need to batter them relentlessly. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
14 hours ago, Smithee said:

Obviously not against us, but I'm happy seeing Watt doing ok for himself. I always thought he was a bawhair away from going on a run at Hearts but it just never happened for him. Good to see he's found himself as a player.

You could tell he had the skills but maybe he was trying too hard to show those skills at Hearts by coming back into the midfield or out wide and not really linking with the front line. He could weave his way into the box but there it seemed to break down most of the time with a shot off target or he took so long a defender would simply block his attempt on goal.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Imaman said:

We defended a one goal league in the semi final last season. Stop talking pish.

BRAVEHEART1874

home win 2-1 da jambos :)

They have a better squad than last year and should finish above da hobos again .

But they do not play watt, middelton, fletcher and clark from the off and even if they did I still beleive  shankland,boyce, mackay and forest are better.

If kingsley is fit our defense should be stronger with maybe atkinson chosen more as wing back. Although ginelli was just back from injury,  I also thought he could have come on at the end offering an attacking option and fresh legs :097:

Fozzyonthefence
45 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It was a two goal lead though!  And when they pulled one back we only had to defend against 10 men. We made painfully hard work of it though!

17 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

5 nil United. 

Please don't do that. You've brought something back I've been trying to forget for nigh on forty years...Tommy Traynor and George Fleming!

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

You could tell he had the skills but maybe he was trying too hard to show those skills at Hearts by coming back into the midfield or out wide and not really linking with the front line. He could weave his way into the box but there it seemed to break down most of the time with a shot off target or he took so long a defender would simply block his attempt on goal.

He was under orders to drop back into midfield, see Boyce last season when playing as a 9. 
All the talent in the world but has only shown it at Motherwell strangely enough. 

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Aye ok 

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We’ve played 343, 532, 442 and 4231 in two games, do keep up. Your boy keeps changing it, even when it’s working. 

Pasquale for King

It will be 343 and hopefully a quick start to get a few goals up and another coupe when they inevitably tire. Always goals against them, about 14 last season in four games?

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’ve played 343, 532, 442 and 4231 in two games, do keep up. Your boy keeps changing it, even when it’s working. 

Nah we play a 4231 or a 343. 

5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

We will win 4-0 and Robbie will think he's the big ******* cheese.

If we win 4-0 against the team that most folk accept will be one of our main challengers for what we want to achieve this season and end up with 7 points out of 9 he will be the big ******* cheese.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, sirwalter said:

Please don't do that. You've brought something back I've been trying to forget for nigh on forty years...Tommy Traynor and George Fleming!

🤣 Apologies. 4 nil Hearts! 

Arthur Morgan
4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yep. Pretty lucky if you ask me. They were pushing for a goal even with 10 men and we just held out thanks to an incredible Gordon save. 

7 hours ago, Armageddon said:

If we beat them 4-0 he’ll be rightly praised. That’s how football works.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

And that’s really the only issue I have with Robbie. It’s like he NEEDS to get involved. 

We went 2-0 up last week. He changed it immediately. Boyle introduced on Sunday. Changed it right away.

Just trust your formation, trust the plan A and most of all just trust the players. 

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, DS98 said:

And that’s really the only issue I have with Robbie. It’s like he NEEDS to get involved. 

We went 2-0 up last week. He changed it immediately. Boyle introduced on Sunday. Changed it right away.

Just trust your formation, trust the plan A and most of all just trust the players. 

It’s almost like they're pre planned, or they have subs prepared for certain situations. It’s good to be prepared but I think he over thinks it some times. Hopefully it gets better as time goes on because he got the formation spot on for 60 minutes on Sunday, it could easily have been a win for the ages. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah we play a 4231 or a 343. 

Boyce was right up front with Shankland on Sunday, we also went two up front with Forrest going there beside Shankland halfway through the RC game. 

August Landmesser
2 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Yep. Pretty lucky if you ask me. They were pushing for a goal even with 10 men and we just held out thanks to an incredible Gordon save. 

We were pushing for a goal on Sunday and they just held out thanks to an incredible Marshall save.

Pretty lucky if you ask me.

Edited by August Landmesser

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We did - are you ok?

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We did - are you ok?

I’m fine on my second Glass of wine and enjoying the weather. 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Boyce was right up front with Shankland on Sunday, we also went two up front with Forrest going there beside Shankland halfway through the RC game. 

nah, we have two formations and flex from there.

Gorgie_Rules

Any sort of win will do. 7 points from 9 against 3 sides that I reckon will be pushing for top 6 this season would be a decent start going into the European game.

11 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Preferably one that suits the player's which in my opinion is 4231-or 433.

Then believe in the player's like gio did tonight, despite being 2-0 down. 

12 hours ago, WDJ87 said:

I have a spare ticket for this game, if anyone wants it. Bought just for the loyalty point. £27 it cost.

Why did I read that in the voice of Yoda

Arthur Morgan
2 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

We were pushing for a goal on Sunday and they just held out thanks to an incredible Marshall save.

Pretty lucky if you ask me.

Funny. He reverted to type in both games, fact. 

No Idle Talk

I really enjoyed our fixtures against Dundee Utd last season. Every one of them was a good game to watch. I suspect that with Jack Ross now managing Dundee Utd the trend will not continue.

Thursday night's match is bound to take a bit out of the legs of Dundee Utd. AZ Alkmaar are a good side and they have a deficit to overturn. So I expect Utd won't have a lot of possession in the game and will therefore be defending most of the time. That could be relevant in the second half on Sunday.

As for us, this is a home game and I expect us to go after it. Start with a quick tempo and try to get on top of them early. An early goal would help to banish the disappointment of the ending this Sunday past. I hope that Robbie will stick with the back four and if he picks the same starting eleven he picked at Easter Road you will be hearing no complaints from me. That is the team he should go with in my opinion. Although if he feels he wants to get Cammy Devlin a start, I will understand that. If he reverts back to playing 3-4-3 I will be pretty disappointed.

Hearts 2-1 Dundee Utd.

Edited by No Idle Talk

3 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

I really enjoyed our fixtures against Dundee Utd last season. Every one of them was a good game to watch. I suspect that with Jack Ross now managing Dundee Utd the trend will not continue.

Thursday night's match is bound to take a bit out of the legs of Dundee Utd. AZ Alkmaar are a good side and they have a deficit to overturn. So I expect Utd won't have a lot of possession in the game and will therefore be defending most of the time. That could be relevant in the second half on Sunday.

As for us, this is a home game and I expect us to go after it. Start with a quick tempo and try to get on top of them early. An early goal would help to banish the disappointment of the ending this Sunday past. I hope that Robbie will stick with the back four and if he picks the same starting eleven he picked at Easter Road you will be hearing no complaints from me. That is the team he should go with in my opinion. Although if he feels he wants to get Cammy Devlin a start, I will understand that. If he reverts back to playing 3-4-3 I will be pretty disappointed.

Hearts 2-1 Dundee Utd.

That's what I thought for the Ross Co game and was disappointed that Shankland ended up on his own up front.

Hopefully Robbie doesn't try the same tactic again this week.

Unknown user
12 hours ago, Armageddon said:

The absolute nerve!

Tough opponent who we had the upper hand on last season but they have strengthened .

We are the home team and we have very good creative players like McKay and Forrest and players who can hit the net in Shankland and Boyce .

A narrow Hearts win 2-1 is my bet