European travel thread

The_razors_edge

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Basel SBB is the train station. Need to get there via bus from the airport first

I take your point, although the R2R website seems to indicate that the train goes all the way from the airport to Zurich.

Share a taxi from the airport to Basel train station?   

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

Flew out from Edinburgh airport to Amsterdam (not going to game) this morning at 10:00 and there were a few Jambos in the departure lounge although not sure of their routes.  Have to say a bit risky travelling on day of game.

Woke up to a message from EasyJet this morning saying our flight was delayed to 11:25 so took our time getting to the Airport.  They somehow managed to get another plane from somewhere else and took off in time.  Needless to say we had to make a dash for the gate to board.

Would hate to think that EasyJet had somehow commandeered the Basel plane to fly to Amsterdam and use our delayed plane to go to Basel to avoid paying out compo.

16 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Basel SBB is the train station. Need to get there via bus from the airport first but that should still be possible, buses are every 10 minutes and take about 20 odd minutes to the train station.  Fingers crossed for them 

Probably best getting taxi from airport to Basel train station then. 

joondalupjambo
24 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Basel SBB is the train station. Need to get there via bus from the airport first but that should still be possible, buses are every 10 minutes and take about 20 odd minutes to the train station.  Fingers crossed for them 

Will all depend on how fast they get through passport control I reckon.

13 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Hope they’ve got it all worked out before landing and have running footwear with them. Going to be very tight and that assumes all the connections run on time

its landed. Cmon boys. Rooting for you here !!

Edited by JimmyCant

Heartsmad1874
14 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Long queues at Basel Airport to get through passport control for us yesterday. Imagine it will be the same again

I hope that the match is as entertaining as this epic pre-match travel tale.

I'm waiting with baited breath for the next installment.

Go on, guys ... you can do it!!!

HibbyinZurich
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The Edinburgh to Mulhouse/Basel flight is currently scheduled to land at 15:34 local time.

According to the Rome to Rio website, it would still be possible to get to the game on time if they caught the 16:33 train from the airport to Zurich, arriving at 17:26, then connect to a train to St Gallen at 17:33 (only 7 mins transfer time). This train would arrive in St Gallen at 18:30, leaving 30 mins to get a taxi to the stadium.

image.thumb.png.62174caa45d0d7b2978d51e97f1cf1e9.png

Not that any of them will likely see this, but that 17h33 train leaves from platform 34, that I mentioned elsewhere on this thread. They'll need to head underground from where the Basel train gets in (platform 12 currently) and the stairs down to 34 are between platforms 7 and 8. Zurich HB can be a maze if you don't know where you're going. 7 minutes is plenty, but not if you spend 5 of them wondering where to go.

Edited by HibbyinZurich

LokamotivRobbo
21 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Well spotted. 👍

I saw the plane as it made its way out over the Forth. It went towards Kirkcaldy (possibly beyond -hard to tell) before a sharpish turn then heading south.

I gave it a wee wave, and that's the closest I'll get to Switzerland.

But bet you’ll be enjoying the travel stress personally for the group games!😬

Heartsofgold
9 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Not that any of them will likely see this, but that 17h33 train leaves from platform 34, that I mentioned elsewhere on this thread. They'll need to head underground from where the Basel train gets in (platform 12 currently) and the stairs down to 34 are between platforms 7 and 8. Zurich HB can be a maze if you don't know where you're going. 7 minutes is plenty, but not if you spend 5 of them wondering where to go.

Nice one mate.  I'm sure the guys that do see this will be appreciative.  Good to see ALL your posts on the travel thread,

18 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Good gen bud. Sure your a hibby? And if so, why?

HibbyinZurich
3 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Good gen bud. Sure your a hibby? And if so, why?

Haha pretty damn sure yeah. It's a hell of a ride but don't want to see football fans of any hue miss their team in Europe because of fecking easyJet. Also, work in travel and the last few months have been batshit for flying.

3 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Haha pretty damn sure yeah. It's a hell of a ride but don't want to see football fans of any hue miss their team in Europe because of fecking easyJet. Also, work in travel and the last few months have been batshit for flying.

Good man :thumb:

7 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Well said. Top man. 

10 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Arsehole. Just to let you know that that is a compliment as we are all arseholes on this board. Welcome to the club. 

18 hours ago, fila said:

Great flag, my hometown many years ago 

Agreed ! Great flag ! Worked in John St Post Office Counters for 8 years. Ran it for a couple of those. Good bunch of folks in Penicuik back then.

HibbyinZurich

I'm hoping they made it. A fun evening, had some good chat and discussion (and took some appropriate abuse) from several Jambos before one of your number punched my mate in the face for no discernible reason outside the stadium. Your right back and the lad that came on to replace Halkett weren't great but with Mackay and Gordon, I think you'll get through at Tynie. Won't be easy though.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

I'm hoping they made it. A fun evening, had some good chat and discussion (and took some appropriate abuse) from several Jambos before one of your number punched my mate in the face for no discernible reason outside the stadium. Your right back and the lad that came on to replace Halkett weren't great but with Mackay and Gordon, I think you'll get through at Tynie. Won't be easy though.

Why would "one of our number" punch your mate in the face  for no reason? More to it than what your saying mate

6 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

if that’s true then that’s a disgrace! 

5 hours ago, leipzig76 said:

Agreed ! Great flag ! Worked in John St Post Office Counters for 8 years. Ran it for a couple of those. Good bunch of folks in Penicuik back then.

Still got family there and its very much still all Hearst’s 

Ballitojambo
25 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

I’m not sure you have any mates feeling the need to ingratiate yourself with the opposition, maybe you should just piss off back to the dark side.

35 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

The punch to the face didn’t happen.

3 hours ago, sprinbox98 said:

been wondering that aswell!!

I’ve been wondering that, as well.  👍

6 minutes ago, leipzig76 said:

Agreed ! Hearts even ☺️

I also went to Peni High , which explains a few things 😀

Just wanted to say thanks to Sandy and his crew that gave my mate and I some great chat on the bus from St. Gallen to the stadium, and all the other folks that responded with a smile to me (a Livi fan, living in Zürich) wearing a Hibs top for a bit of harmless banter. My pal is a big Hibee and we came along to enjoy the game in good spirits and get a dose of much-missed Scottish craic. (He contributed in this thread as HibbyInZurich to help folks with travelling to the game.)

To the chap that punched me in face outside the stadium, despite us being as friendly as can be: take a look at yourself. We’re all people pal. To the folks that kindly stopped by to help out but asked "what did you think would happen wearing a Hibs top?": sorry, but you're part of the problem. We can't normalise such behaviour - it is not acceptable to lamp someone just because they support another team, even if they're your arch rivals, and even if you're pished.

Especially as Scots abroad, we're better than that.

Edited by BathgateLad

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, BathgateLad said:

Just wanted to say thanks to Sandy and his crew that gave my mate and I some great chat on the bus from St. Gallen to the stadium, and all the other folks that responded with a smile to me (a Livi fan, living in Zürich) wearing a Hibs top for a bit of harmless banter. My pal is a big Hibee and we came along to enjoy the game in good spirits and get a dose of much-missed Scottish craic. (He contributed in this thread as HibbyInZurich to help folks with travelling to the game.)

To the chap that punched me in face outside the stadium, despite us being as friendly as can be: take a look at yourself. We’re all people pal. To the folks that kindly stopped by to help out but asked "what did you think would happen wearing a Hibs top?": sorry, but you're part of the problem. We can't normalise such behaviour - it is not acceptable to lamp someone just because they support another team, even if they're your arch rivals, and even if you're pished.

**** you ya Hibs  *******, what did you expect?

Come to Blackburn wearing a H1b5 top and you'll get slapped too.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

9 minutes ago, BathgateLad said:

Just so I'm clear, your a Livi fan, wearing a Hibs top at a Hearts match thats over a 80km away from your house?

Never condone violence, the fight should be on the pitch only.

Captain Scarlett
8 minutes ago, BathgateLad said:

A Hibs top at a Hearts European away game. Are you mad? I’m not saying you deserved a punch in the face most certainly not however in retrospect do you not think you’re a basket case for 

a) wearing it

b) wearing a top of a team you don’t support 

c) going on the windup when you should’ve stayed in the house.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, Captain Scarlett said:

A Hibs top at a Hearts European away game. Are you mad? I’m not saying you deserved a punch in the face most certainly not however in retrospect do you not think you’re a basket case for 

a) wearing it

b) wearing a top of a team you don’t support 

c) going on the windup when you should’ve stayed in the house.

Guy is an obvious wankstain

Christ Almighty when the hobo in Zurich guy said his pal got a punch in the face my immediate reaction was one of shame. Then the tosspot who got punched came on and told us his story and I would probably have punched him myself.

21 minutes ago, BathgateLad said:

Come on man, why wear a Hibs top? Bit daft. 

Nobody deserves a punch in the gob but ffs....folk have been on the piss best part of 24 hours singing about Hibs being shite etc.

38 minutes ago, BathgateLad said:

Not condoning what happened, but a bit crazy to wear a Hibs top amongst hearts fans who have been drinking all day.  

Edited by karipidis

millerjames398
14 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

Come on man, why wear a Hibs top? Bit daft. 

Nobody deserves a punch in the gob but ffs....folk have been on the piss best part of 24 hours singing about Hibs being shite etc.

This reminds me of the guy with the half hibs, half liverpool top down in concert square when we played them, he was a bit of a novelty for a bit, but I'm sure he ended up getting chased up the rd, later in the afternoon😂

Edited by millerjames398
Spell error

Back to 2005
37 minutes ago, BathgateLad said:

Would you turn up in a Millwall top if West Ham were in town?!  Idiot. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Why would "one of our number" punch your mate in the face  for no reason? More to it than what your saying mate

Ah, so you're Livi supporting mate thought it'd be a bit of banter wearing a Hibs top to a Hearts game? I praised you earlier in this thread for helping the troops but in all honesty you want a slap too.

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Would you turn up in a Millwall top if West Ham were in town?!  Idiot. 

I'm going to the next Gers Euro tie wearing a Celtic top. Should be a great laugh.

J.T.F.Robertson
51 minutes ago, BathgateLad said:

Your last sentence is far from true, but anyhow. What possessed you to wear a Hibs' top to a Hearts' game?

I am sorry about what happened but was really daft, and for what it's worth, I'd say the same were it one of us poncing about at a Hibs' Euro game in our gear.

Hope you're not badly hurt, all the same. (tribalism stinks)

1 hour ago, BathgateLad said:

Seriously 😒 you must have been abroad for far too long. 

Not that it will happen anytime soon, but if someone wore a hearts top to an away tie, that Hibs were playing in Europe, and came back from the game, without a sore face that would be an absolute miracle 

For the one person that hit you, hundreds of hearts fans didn't, I think that's the point you are missing 

Forget ideal world type scenarios and godly aftermath speeches from you condemning mankind.

What u did tonight wasn't "banter" as you called it, it was utter stupidity

I thought initially that the hobo in Zurich boy seemed really helpful and decent helping our fans get to the ground. Don't chuck a grenade in the fire and moan that it blew up, when you could have kept it in your pocket in the first place. 

2 hours ago, BathgateLad said:

Twat