European travel thread

The_razors_edge

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

UEFA super computer works its magic with the group stages draw right away and we should know in the hours that follow. So trips/hotels can hopefully be booked by next Friday night all going well.

Kick off times are likely to be 5.45pm - Away games. 8pm - Home games,  UK time unless we are playing in Azerbaijan or Kazkahstan where they kick off slightly earlier.

It’ll be a mad scramble but worth it.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

loveofthegame
1 hour ago, vasco said:

On the topic of stairs I have never seen so many people fall on a set of stairs in my life must be a few sore arses and heads this morning. Stairs were covered in rain water and beer very dangerous 

That stairwell was murder. I was about four seats in, and, as you pointed out, the number of fans who took a tumble was ridiculous. The luckiest guy of the lot was the big, baldie guy with a beard who catered down the steps but managed to fall backwards into other fans, which saved him from a right sore one.

I was one of said dafties… too much to drink + worlds slippiest stairs = a sore arse bone two days on. Prob lucky I didn’t do myself more damage tbh, so will take that as a win.

was surprised by the amount of Hearts on Hearts aggro both in the stadium and the night before/night after. I always see fellow Jambos as my pals when away watching the club, but sometimes there’s too much drink on empty heeds…

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Boab said:

That was outside the Bulldog eh ?

Plain clothes old bill were there all day keeping an eye on proceedings.

Did they join the big Zal conga? 😉. Great day :)

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, Boab said:

That was outside the Bulldog eh ?

Plain clothes old bill were there all day keeping an eye on proceedings.

That's the one Boab.

I know the Edinburgh policeman who gets the 'undercover' job when Hearts are abroad. Good local lad and big Jambo.

He was liaising with the local cops and pointed out the Celtic fan to them

21 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's the one Boab.

I know the Edinburgh policeman who gets the 'undercover' job when Hearts are abroad. Good local lad and big Jambo.

Aye, remember the police guy. Gave us a “ pep talk “ at the airport.

Gorgie_Rules
3 hours ago, tazhearts said:

I would have thought our fixtures are known straight after the draw?  I.e. we will know who we are home and away to for each match-day.  The only thing we won't know is the kick off time, venue (although for most teams that will be obvious) and possibly the day of the game (although the vast majority will be on a Thursday). 

Not 100% on how the scheduling works out, for example do top seeds  play home to bottom seeds first for example? Would be good to find out pre-draw

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Heartsmad1874
44 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Not 100% on how the scheduling works out, for example do top seeds  play home to bottom seeds first for example? Would be good to find out pre-draw

Teams are numbered 1-4 normally and the UEFA computer schedules the fixtures based on country protection etc seeds have no bearing on fixtures.

8 hours ago, Boab said:

You on the bevvy, mate ?

They can and they do !

I was, Boab.  😎

4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

A bit too much of that fine, French, vino last night, Morgan!

Yes 🙁.

Felt it this morning too.  

13 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's the one Boab.

I had an 18 month secondment to the NFIU in its early days. it’s now called the UKFPU. Almost all the Scottish stuff that came in when I was there related to Hibs or Aberdeen. Got a few trips with Scottish liaison officers but none involving Hearts 😏

Italian Lambretta
9 minutes ago, ericb said:

Trip just keeps on giving, at least 10 still on continent, due to Lufthansa not getting to Frankfurt on time 

Was that Munich to Frankfurt at 8pm?

Italian Lambretta
1 minute ago, ericb said:

No Zürich to Frankfurt 

Okay we were supposed to get the Munich to Frankfurt flight with only a 55 minute transfer time to get to Edinburgh flight. Decided to miss 1st leg and Train it up to Frankfurt. We get all the way to the departure gate and they tell us our tickets were cancelled because we didn't turn up for first flight. It's not the done thing supposedly 😂

After some debate and a big queue developing the nice Lufthansa lady printed of 2 tickets and let us on.

If it was Ryanair we would still be in airport.

Maybe next time I'll take my Scooter✌️

Soon as the fixtures are announced on Friday! I’ve got a plane company ready to take a booking for 234 seats, departing from Edinburgh Wednesday 6am, coming back Friday 5pm. 

just have to find out location before confirming. 

Looking like £525 p.p 

2 hours ago, ericb said:

Trip just keeps on giving, at least 10 still on continent, due to Lufthansa not getting to Frankfurt on time 

My daughter and I were on that flight and feel for the 10 guys we left behind, after missing our connecting flight in Frankfurt we were all rebooked on Frankfurt to London city then onto Edinburgh but missed that too due to timescale and different terminal. But BA managed to get us on Heathrow flight then onto Edinburgh arriving at 10:30 pm. Keep us posted on the 10 jambos left behind 

2 hours ago, Official_AB said:

Soon as the fixtures are announced on Friday! I’ve got a plane company ready to take a booking for 234 seats, departing from Edinburgh Wednesday 6am, coming back Friday 5pm. 

Looking like £525 p.p 

That is extremely expensive Is it not? Surely 234 people would not chose to pay that just for flights. Worth noting that its possible for Europa league and conference league games to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. 

37 minutes ago, Tour22 said:

That is extremely expensive Is it not? Surely 234 people would not chose to pay that just for flights. Worth noting that its possible for Europa league and conference league games to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. 

Pretty standard pricing for a charter

1 hour ago, Tull1874 said:

My daughter and I were on that flight and feel for the 10 guys we left behind, after missing our connecting flight in Frankfurt we were all rebooked on Frankfurt to London city then onto Edinburgh but missed that too due to timescale and different terminal. But BA managed to get us on Heathrow flight then onto Edinburgh arriving at 10:30 pm. Keep us posted on the 10 jambos left behind 

I'm hoping that both you and your daughter have tales to tell as a consolation and that your next trip goes more smoothly.

As for the 10 left behind? They will, for sure, have tales to tell. If they're employed  then can you imagine the back & forth with their bosses (also their families)? 🤣

6 hours ago, the general said:

Pretty standard pricing for a charter

I know, maybe I am being a bit pessimistic. With three games I think people will be looking to doing it as cheap as possible. Hearts will potentially be running a charter as well so I am thinking that option would be hard to shift. Especially for the first game which could be only about 10 days away, after fixture confirmations.

RichBTiscuits
10 hours ago, Official_AB said:

Looking like £525 p.p 

Wouldn't price depend on where the plane is flying to? I'm sure a flight to France/Netherlands for example wouldnt cost the same as a flight to Kazakhstan? Sorry, just wondering how you have a price at this stage. Cheers

On 17/08/2022 at 10:17, JimmyCant said:

Supermarket . Baguette Meat Cheese Pickle. £5. Sit in the park with a supermarket beer £3. Jobs a good un

I thought this was a joke when I read it before I went.......however, this was an absolute life saver. Aldi/Coop saved us from spending thousands on beer! 

Carry out of 18 bottles for a tenner, a croissant and some pastry and we were sorted for the 2 days there.

Absolute top bit of advice here.   

9 hours ago, Tull1874 said:

Home on 11.05 from Frankfurt after a night in the Moxy 

48 minutes ago, ericb said:

Home on 11.05 from Frankfurt after a night in the Moxy 

Thanks for update. If it wasn’t for us pushing to front of both queues at passport control and security in Frankfurt, and kind BA staff at gate D6 changing our flight for second time, we would’ve been in same predicament.  

14 hours ago, Official_AB said:

Looking like £525 p.p 

No location or even dates confirmed and you’ve got a price? 

:interehjrling:

Nucky Thompson
8 hours ago, DB-14 said:

No location or even dates confirmed and you’ve got a price? 

:interehjrling:

It's probably a ballpark figure for Central Europe.

The guy is just looking for options for fellow fans

On 20/08/2022 at 11:50, Heartsmad1874 said:

UEFA super computer works its magic with the group stages draw right away and we should know in the hours that follow. So trips/hotels can hopefully be booked by next Friday night all going well.

Kick off times are likely to be 5.45pm - Away games. 8pm - Home games,  UK time unless we are playing in Azerbaijan or Kazkahstan where they kick off slightly earlier.

Or on the same evening as Rangers.  Clubs from same country don’t play at same time usually. 

For £525 I'd be looking for almost all of the cost covered for flights to somewhere in central Europe, accommodation and spending money :lol:

On 20/08/2022 at 11:45, tazhearts said:

I would have thought our fixtures are known straight after the draw?  I.e. we will know who we are home and away to for each match-day.  The only thing we won't know is the kick off time, venue (although for most teams that will be obvious) and possibly the day of the game (although the vast majority will be on a Thursday). 

I think the basic plan is know pretty much from the draw. UEFA can complicate things to avoid any clashes eg if Rangers and us are both playing on Thursday nights - could be travelling to same countries or even cities. Or same issue for any of our group. So might take some time to confirm. 

If you fast forward to the 28th minute of this video you can see how last years draw went.  They also say in the video (at 31:31) that the match calendar will be released on Saturday morning at the latest.  So basically there is no definite date / time when the actual fixture details are announced following the draw. 

The Hogfather
On 20/08/2022 at 10:13, BelgeJambo said:

Talk last week of wanting alcohol served in Tynecastle 

Thursday was a clear indication we are not ready for that

Just why would you fight with your own supporters 

The mind boggles 

You're conflating that particular issue here without considering one or two important factors from Thursday.

1) People were in the square in St Gallen by about 12 o'clock, so had a good 4 and a half hours solid drinking before the buses turned up to take us out to Kybunpark. So it's not entirely true to suggest this would necessarily be replicated before games at Tynecastle. You've also got to remember that this was essentially a holiday for people too, so it would encourage a level of drinking you probably wouldn't see before Livingston on a Saturday at 3pm.

2) The incident seems to be getting blown a bit out of proportion. You're probably talking 3 or 4 people throwing punches out of a few hundred. Also looked like the people who'd had a bit of aggro the night before. 

The person who was head butted and sent down the stairs is a well kent face who doesn't seem to be all that popular tbh.

On 20/08/2022 at 12:33, loveofthegame said:

I was one of said dafties… too much to drink + worlds slippiest stairs = a sore arse bone two days on. Prob lucky I didn’t do myself more damage tbh, so will take that as a win.

was surprised by the amount of Hearts on Hearts aggro both in the stadium and the night before/night after. I always see fellow Jambos as my pals when away watching the club, but sometimes there’s too much drink on empty heeds…

Seemingly it ws "pub v pub". I'd heard something about boys from the Westsider in Wester Hailes and possibly some boys from Penicuik but I don't have many more details than that. Might've been the same aggro from the night before.

On 21/08/2022 at 08:24, Official_AB said:

Looking like £525 p.p 

Christ I spent less than that going to Switzerland :laugh: Think with the extra time for group games to be arranged, this might end up being on the expensive side for people considering flights to Switzerland didn't even touch that price.

Gorgie_Rules
3 hours ago, tazhearts said:

If you fast forward to the 28th minute of this video you can see how last years draw went.  They also say in the video (at 31:31) that the match calendar will be released on Saturday morning at the latest.  So basically there is no definite date / time when the actual fixture details are announced following the draw. 

Great find, thats handy to know.

So looks like booking on Friday isn’t an option, hopefully the club will confirm the fixtures once they know from UEFA some point the Saturday morning.

I see UEFA pair clubs from the same cities across both the EL and ECL draws to ensure there isn’t city clashes, so hopefully should be pretty straight forward.

Not sure if we will have an indication of what round of fixtures we play who from the draw or whether that is what is announced the Saturday?

On the subject of charters, the company who put together occasional charter flights for Scotland and Wales fans came back with a price of £479 for a one-nighter to Krakow for the Ukraine v Scotland game next month.  Even they think it's poor value for money and won't run it unless they can quickly fill the plane.  Lack of options and aircrew, plus fuel prices, is why costs are high.

Just a heads-up on the prices to expect for the group games if people are looking at charters offered by companies. The other guy mentioned £525 which is in the same ballpark.

Edited by Chuck Berry

StuttgartJambo1874
1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

You're conflating that particular issue here without considering one or two important factors from Thursday.

1) People were in the square in St Gallen by about 12 o'clock, so had a good 4 and a half hours solid drinking before the buses turned up to take us out to Kybunpark. So it's not entirely true to suggest this would necessarily be replicated before games at Tynecastle. You've also got to remember that this was essentially a holiday for people too, so it would encourage a level of drinking you probably wouldn't see before Livingston on a Saturday at 3pm.

2) The incident seems to be getting blown a bit out of proportion. You're probably talking 3 or 4 people throwing punches out of a few hundred. Also looked like the people who'd had a bit of aggro the night before. 

The person who was head butted and sent down the stairs is a well kent face who doesn't seem to be all that popular tbh.

Seemingly it ws "pub v pub". I'd heard something about boys from the Westsider in Wester Hailes and possibly some boys from Penicuik but I don't have many more details than that. Might've been the same aggro from the night before.

Christ I spent less than that going to Switzerland :laugh: Think with the extra time for group games to be arranged, this might end up being on the expensive side for people considering flights to Switzerland didn't even touch that price.

What exactly has the lad that got headbutted done to be "not that popular" I saw him being basically dragged out the stadium for his own safety at one point. 

4 hours ago, tazhearts said:

It looks like a big gamble to book anything prior to fixtures being confirmed by UEFA as they can be moved around.

The Hogfather
3 minutes ago, StuttgartJambo1874 said:

What exactly has the lad that got headbutted done to be "not that popular" I saw him being basically dragged out the stadium for his own safety at one point. 

I've only heard 2nd hand information about him from others, but apparently he was a former member of the SDL.

3 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

I've only heard 2nd hand information about him from others, but apparently he was a former member of the SDL.

Ah now I’ve worked it out!!!

55 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

3 or 4 , does it matter, it’s just wrong and fuelled by alcohol.

perhaps conflated, but I wouldn’t discard two hours before a home game fans heaving it down their necks 

Total embarrassment 

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

perhaps conflated, but I wouldn’t discard two hours before a home game fans heaving it down their necks 

Total embarrassment 

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's pointless using it as a reason to continue the alcohol ban at Tynecastle.

You'd be as well shutting all the pubs round Tynecastle on a match day too using your logic.

3 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Total embarrassment 

To be fair (ish) on arriving at the ground on the free buses we were dropped off at an open portable bar and on entering the ground the bars were open - there was alcohol everywhere at all times - was always gonna end with some folk consuming to much - probably me included but I certainly wasn’t fighting - I hope😄😄

The Hogfather
Just now, mark2000 said:

To be fair (ish) on arriving at the ground on the free buses we were dropped off at an open portable bar and on entering the ground the bars were open - there was alcohol everywhere at all times - was always gonna end with some folk consuming to much - probably me included but I certainly wasn’t fighting - I hope😄😄

Here's the way I see it. You can't ignore the behaviour of the vast, vast majority when using the behaviour of less than 10 dafties to decide on things like alcohol at the football. And I say that as some who is teetotal.

Just now, The Hogfather said:

Here's the way I see it. You can't ignore the behaviour of the vast, vast majority when using the behaviour of less than 10 dafties to decide on things like alcohol at the football. And I say that as some who is teetotal.

Think that was actually kind of the point I was trying to make - in all the circumstances and with such a vast amount of alcohol available it was a tiny minority involved - who may well have had previous and would have ended up doing the same even without alcohol.

The Hogfather
3 minutes ago, mark2000 said:

Think that was actually kind of the point I was trying to make - in all the circumstances and with such a vast amount of alcohol available it was a tiny minority involved - who may well have had previous and would have ended up doing the same even without alcohol.

Exactly. You also can't ignore the circumstances that included the ability to drink all day long too. Certainly wouldn't find people rocking up to Tynecastle 6 hours before the game for pints in the concourse v Motherwell.

1 minute ago, The Hogfather said:

Exactly. You also can't ignore the circumstances that included the ability to drink all day long too. Certainly wouldn't find people rocking up to Tynecastle 6 hours before the game for pints in the concourse v Motherwell.

Certainly not after two nights in bars in Switzerland that’s for sure

10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

For £525 I'd be looking for almost all of the cost covered for flights to somewhere in central Europe, accommodation and spending money :lol:

Too true. Add accommodation, ticket, food, and beer tokens to £525 and, depending upon location, it could burst £1K. Measure that for a single game v a Season Ticket.

As for going to all 3? Some folks will. 😃

I reckon that there's likely to be 1 of the 3 ties that's going to be a magnet with the other 2 less attractive, for whatever reason. Or, they may ALL be crackers.

Either way, the demand will be spread over 3 potential trips so likely less of a 'panic' than with the FC Zurich tie. Hence, more likely to be able to book affordable travel.

having said that, probably still have to be quick off the mark given the rapid rise in flight costs to the various 'sensible' Zurich options.

Doctor FinnBarr
59 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Abdul?

Doctor FinnBarr
33 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Total embarrassment 

Know the feeling...........after games at Molenbeek when you can barely talk.

:oohmatron:

On 21/08/2022 at 08:24, Official_AB said:

Looking like £525 p.p 

I can only speak for myself, but there is zero chance I'd be paying that for flights alone.

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

Social Democrats and Labour?

#nopoliticsinfootball 

Edited by Jambo-Fox