European travel thread

The_razors_edge

52 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

11:45 now. Mad 2 hour scramble across Switzerland at the other end, too. 

6EDAD4B6-10F3-42F6-BB08-B90C50052B98.png

Chances of that flight even taking off must be moving to slim

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

HibbyinZurich
6 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

What do you reckon a 110 mile journey would set you back? We’re £3 a mile in the blacks here. 

There's a set starting price of usually a few CHF and then a per kilometre price of usually about 4 CHF. Now it's 170 km between the 2 and then in traffic jams there's a per minute rate of usually about 1 CHF per minute. 

So bloody pricey in summary.

9 minutes ago, Rods said:

It's always a big risk travelling on the same day. With my experiences of flying this year, each time being a total joke, I wouldn't have attempted it!

Fingers crossed for anyone booked on that flight

Doctor FinnBarr
5 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

There's a set starting price of usually a few CHF and then a per kilometre price of usually about 4 CHF. Now it's 170 km between the 2 and then in traffic jams there's a per minute rate of usually about 1 CHF per minute. 

I'm not there but I'll dof my hat to a Hibby trying to help the troops out.

8 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Wow. So that’s what, £650+ then tolls on top? 3h31m without tolls. Roads that bad?
Still, splitting that between 4/5 folk might be the best option for anyone landing at Basel who wants to actually see the game. 

2AB14293-127F-4B7D-A91D-15232C40D593.png

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

This.

8 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Yup. Fair play 👏👏👏

23 minutes ago, Rods said:

At least Renton Travel gets you there, eventually. Take it Jordan used one of your routes? 😂

Captain Scarlett
1 hour ago, Clark Griswold said:

Serious FOMO watching all these!

Hope the team repay the fantastic support on the pitch later :flagwave: 

Fomo? Must be an age thing lol

Angry Haggis
1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

Not that it helps trying to make Kick Off but if the flight is delayed more than 3 hours you should be due compensation, 250Euros if I am reading this correctly. 

Good luck. 

12.15pm take off = landing in Basel at 3.20pm. Likely not getting out the airport until around 4pm.

I'd say the folks on that flight are missing a significant part of the game.

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

Ouch. 

Best of luck. 

7 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

Not that it helps trying to make Kick Off but if the flight is delayed more than 3 hours you should be due compensation, 250Euros if I am reading this correctly. 

Good luck. 

Do you have to board the flight or just have a ticket to be considered as delayed? 
If you get compensated based simply on the flight time I think I’d have jacked it and be on my way to the Murrayfield Bar by now! 
Certainly looks like any further delay will result in no chance of getting there on time. 

Angry Haggis
6 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Do you have to board the flight or just have a ticket to be considered as delayed? 
If you get compensated based simply on the flight time I think I’d have jacked it and be on my way to the Murrayfield Bar by now! 
Certainly looks like any further delay will result in no chance of getting there on time. 

Sorry - no idea, maybe worth some further research to establish that. As I said good luck mate mate - if you travel and miss the match think of the party after once we win (which hopefully you'll arrive by for) 👍

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good luck mate, hate travel stress like this. Used to have airport crap all the time for work before the pandemic. 

No consolation to you obviously, but this kind of stuff has reminded me to look at ferry/drive options for whoever we get in the group stages.

Apologies, I’m only a third party expressing my concern for others, a concern you obviously share. I’m not going at all but gutted for anyone involved in this palaver. 
Almost willing them to get there in time as much as I’m willing Hearts to get a result tonight! 

9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good luck mate, hate travel stress like this. Used to have airport crap all the time for work before the pandemic. 

No consolation to you obviously, but this kind of stuff has reminded me to look at ferry/drive options for whoever we get in the group stages.

Shaggy isn't going to Switzerland, feel for the ones who are on that flight though.

26 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

you have to board the flight. If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours (that’s when you land at the destination and the doors open), then you can get the €250 compensation.

that’s based on the journey being 1.2km from edinburgh to basel - so falls into the flight distance of less than 1.5km compensation claim.

Edited by sprinbox98

Booked to fly Gla/Dub/zurich. Went to gla airport last night to be told I had been booked for tonight not last night!! I asked to get that changed and they couldnt. Company I booked through dont want to give me money back. To say steam is coming out my ears is an understatement. Missing another great trip! 😢😢

Edited by Avrupa2022
Put wrong smilies on

47 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

At least Renton Travel gets you there, eventually. Take it Jordan used one of your routes? 😂

Ha ha ha ironically Jordan and the others ignored my Memmingen chat. They now expect to arrive in St Gallen around 2pm. 

Tell you more of the carry on they had later mate.

If you manage to leave the airport by 4 p.m. at the latest, you should make it to the game on time. Enter Basel Euro Airport to St. Gallen Winkeln in the SBB app. The trip takes less than three hours and the trains are usually very reliable and on time. Tickets should be purchased before departure, one way costs about Fr. 67.00. Ask other passengers for help at each transfer station so you don't miss a connecting train. The walk from St. Gallen Winklen to the stadium takes a few minutes. Everything goes well.

In the stadium you can pay with credit cards and debit cards. Cash is not accepted.

Have a good trip.

HibbyinZurich
17 minutes ago, sprinbox98 said:

you have to board the flight. If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours (that’s when you land at the destination and the doors open), then you can get the €250 compensation.

that’s based on the journey being 1.2km from edinburgh to basel - so falls into the flight distance of less than 1.5km compensation claim.

From looking at the easyJet website (I'm busy at work as you can tell) they've classified the reason for this delay as "exceptional circumstances" so the EU compensation thing doesn't apply. Cheeky barstewards

3 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

From looking at the easyJet website (I'm busy at work as you can tell) they've classified the reason for this delay as "exceptional circumstances" so the EU compensation thing doesn't apply. Cheeky barstewards

They did that to one I was on a couple of years ago. Passengers just need to fight it to get the compo. Club together, strength in numbers  

13 minutes ago, HibbyinZurich said:

Cheeky buggers.

I had that before coming back from Majorca - really stuck to my guns and eventually got the compensation. 

they will do anything to avoid paying. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Basel flight now appears to be boarding and going at 12. Hope the lads make it. Fingers crossed for them

Hopefully the pilot will put the foot down. 

36 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Hopefully the pilot will put the foot down. 

Hopefully there aren’t too many fans on this. There was no wiggle room on doing it this way. Still hasn’t gone yet but they are already struggling to get to the game on time

Edited by JimmyCant

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, JimmyCant said:

Hopefully there aren’t too many fans on this. There was no wiggle room on doing it this way. Still hasn’t gone yet 

😭

According to Basel Airport it's due there at 14.40

Likely to change of course. 

Clark Griswold

Sickening that the flight to Basel is delayed so much and folk are potentially going to miss the game or some of the game. Good luck to them 🤞 

Rudi Hates Hibees

Is the last train back to Zurich at 21.22? I’m sure when I check yesterday there was later trains. 

Rudi Hates Hibees
19 minutes ago, Rudi Hates Hibees said:

Is the last train back to Zurich at 21.22? I’m sure when I check yesterday there was later trains. 

Never mind, there is. I was searching the wrong station. 

27 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

😭

Just taxiing now

31 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

😭

15.40 local time. Feel for those on that flight, it's looking a write off for them.

Angry Haggis
1 hour ago, Avrupa2022 said:

Booked to fly Gla/Dub/zurich. Went to gla airport last night to be told I had been booked for tonight not last night!! I asked to get that changed and they couldnt. Company I booked through dont want to give me money back. To say steam is coming out my ears is an understatement. Missing another great trip! 😢😢

:what:

What A disaster. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

15.40 local time. Feel for those on that flight, it's looking a write off for them.

Also feel for them.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Decisions to be made for those Hearts fans on board. Unlikely to make kick off and even then only by very expensive taxi. I’d be tempted to

1. bin the trip

2. watch the game on tv in Basel

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Decisions to be made for those Hearts fans on board. Unlikely to make kick off and even then only by very expensive taxi. I’d be tempted to

1. bin the trip

This.

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

1. bin the trip

I think it would be option 2 for me.

Edit: Option 3, carry on to Zurich/St Gallen for a right good piss up tonight.

Edited by graygo

HibbyinZurich
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

I think it would be option 2 for me.

Edit: Option 3, carry on to Zurich/St Gallen for a right good piss up tonight.

Option 3 with Zurich option would be my recommendation

Tuco Salamanca
19 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Well spotted. 👍

I saw the plane as it made its way out over the Forth. It went towards Kirkcaldy (possibly beyond -hard to tell) before a sharpish turn then heading south.

I gave it a wee wave, and that's the closest I'll get to Switzerland.

Ha ha but I feel you pain 😞 

Footballfirst

The Edinburgh to Mulhouse/Basel flight is currently scheduled to land at 15:34 local time.

According to the Rome to Rio website, it would still be possible to get to the game on time if they caught the 16:33 train from the airport to Zurich, arriving at 17:26, then connect to a train to St Gallen at 17:33 (only 7 mins transfer time). This train would arrive in St Gallen at 18:30, leaving 30 mins to get a taxi to the stadium.

image.thumb.png.62174caa45d0d7b2978d51e97f1cf1e9.png

Edited by Footballfirst

https://www.sbb.ch/de/kaufen/pages/fahrplan/druckansicht.xhtml

Take the bus B 50 from Basel EuroAirport (16:06) to Basel, Bahnhof SBB (16:23)

next the IC 3 on platform 12 (16:33) to Zürich HB (17:26)

next the EC on platform 34 (17:33, it's undergound) to St. Gallen (18:30)

finally the S5 on plattform 7 (18:40) to St. Gallen Winkeln (18:45)

should take you about 10min to walk to the stadium from there.

HibbyinZurich
13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Edinburgh to Mulhouse/Basel flight is currently scheduled to land at 15:34 local time.

According to the Rome to Rio website, it would still be possible to get to the game on time if they caught the 16:33 train from the airport to Zurich, arriving at 17:26, then connect to a train to St Gallen at 17:33 (only 7 mins transfer time). This train would arrive in St Gallen at 18:30, leaving 30 mins to get a taxi to the stadium.

image.thumb.png.62174caa45d0d7b2978d51e97f1cf1e9.png

Basel SBB is the train station. Need to get there via bus from the airport first but that should still be possible, buses are every 10 minutes and take about 20 odd minutes to the train station.  Fingers crossed for them 

Edited by HibbyinZurich