European travel thread

The_razors_edge

On 13/08/2022 at 00:33, SMJ_1874 said:

I was looking at the Rome to Rio app earlier in the week and saw plenty early trains from St Gallen. Then looked today in the same app and could only see the first train with availability on the 19th being the 8.07. On that app and Trainline,  o early trains are even listed so assumes it was sold out. What website is that you’re looking at pal? Be great if I could get on the 6.07 train back to get a few hours sleep after a celebratory drink or two after the game.  Maybe the 6.02 was in fact the 6.07 train. Tbh I’ve looked at so many different flights, airports, trains and stations to get there that it’s confusing the life out of me. 🚂 🚤 🚌 &✈️ fly right enough lol.

Thanks for the update though as it’s putting my mind at rest 

To be fair and realistic Swiss trains are not going to be sold out on the basis of around 700 football fans going to 1 game in the entire country.... (nearly all of whom have different flights home, from different cities and some different countries on different days and times)

Two trains would house all our fans let alone every train on every track over a number of days to different destinations...

Edited by Jammy T

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

Hi there. I am a Hearts fan from Switzerland (Berne).

You would go to a cool scotish and irish pub in St. Gallen before or after kickoff? The last times I was in St. Gallen, i went to the "Gallus Pub" in the Metzgergasse. A lovely bar, often with some people who love the scotish culture. 

You don't need to book trains in advance. You can go to the trainstation and buy a single or return ticket. This is valid on all trains on this route. Sometimes you'll find cheaper tickets (Sparbillette). These you have to buy a few days or hours before travel. And these are only valid on the train you've chosen. The easiest way ist to buy the ticket at a ticket machine.

When you are in St. Gallen, you can take a train to St. Gallen Winkeln (5 min) or a Bus to St. Gallen, Arena (25 min).

Normaly, in Switzerland there is beer with alcohol in the Stadium. And you can drink on the stands 🙂 The last time i was in Kybunpark a pint costs about 6.50 CHF (ca. 5.65 £). Its cheaper to buy in a Supermarket and drink before you enter the Stadium 🙂 But don't go to Migros. Migros don't sell alcohol.

2 minutes ago, SwissHearts said:

You would go to a cool scotish and irish pub in St. Gallen before or after kickoff? The last times I was in St. Gallen, i went to the "Gallus Pub" in the Metzgergasse. A lovely bar, often with some people who love the scotish culture. 

You don't need to book trains in advance. You can go to the trainstation and buy a single or return ticket. This is valid on all trains on this route. Sometimes you'll find cheaper tickets (Sparbillette). These you have to buy a few days or hours before travel. And these are only valid on the train you've chosen. The easiest way ist to buy the ticket at a ticket machine.

When you are in St. Gallen, you can take a train to St. Gallen Winkeln (5 min) or a Bus to St. Gallen, Arena (25 min).

Normaly, in Switzerland there is beer with alcohol in the Stadium. And you can drink on the stands 🙂 The last time i was in Kybunpark a pint costs about 6.50 CHF (ca. 5.65 £). Its cheaper to buy in a Supermarket and drink before you enter the Stadium 🙂 But don't go to Migros. Migros don't sell alcohol.

cheers for the info mate. Are you originally from Scotland or just a swiss native supporting the best team in Scotland?

4 minutes ago, sprinbox98 said:

cheers for the info mate. Are you originally from Scotland or just a swiss native supporting the best team in Scotland?

Just a swiss native supporting the best team in Scotland 🙂

10 minutes ago, SwissHearts said:

Excellent, thanks for the info. We weren't sure if we were going to buy advance tickets for the train but glad we didn't now as I'm hopeful we'll find cheaper options. 

Just now, Strachsuit said:

Excellent, thanks for the info. We weren't sure if we were going to buy advance tickets for the train but glad we didn't now as I'm hopeful we'll find cheaper options. 

Only on international trains (EC) it's recommended to buy in advance and make a seat reservation. But you can still travel in these trains without seat reservation, but it could be difficult to find a free seat then.

Just now, SwissHearts said:

Only on international trains (EC) it's recommended to buy in advance and make a seat reservation. But you can still travel in these trains without seat reservation, but it could be difficult to find a free seat then.

Perfect. We fly into Basel tomorrow morning and then we'll be getting the train to St Gallen (via Zurich). Those trains seem to be pretty regular, do you have a rough idea of cost? I'm sure when I'd looked on trainline they were coming up at around £70 return. 

2 minutes ago, Strachsuit said:

Perfect. We fly into Basel tomorrow morning and then we'll be getting the train to St Gallen (via Zurich). Those trains seem to be pretty regular, do you have a rough idea of cost? I'm sure when I'd looked on trainline they were coming up at around £70 return. 

I think that is a very good offer. On sbb.ch you'll pay for a one way ticket Basel - St. Gallen about 59 CHF (ca. 52 £). 

finnishjambo

I arrived here yesterday and from Zurich to St Gallen one way ticket was 31 CHF. Monday evening was very quiet in St Gallen, but that’s gonna change soon :)

Anyways if someone still looking for a way back to Scotland there is Ryanair flight 38€ from Paris Beauvais to Edinburgh on Saturday.

willie wallace

Hope you guys have a great trip but please allow yourselves enough time at the airports.

Had a couple of close calls in the last month due to lack of staff.

Just bought a single from zurich airport to St Gallen - 28CHF Platform 2 The station is directly opposite the airport main door and in the shopping centre and down the escalator. Temperature in Zurich on landing was 29 deg. Nice scenic train journey east 

Jambo in Yorkshire

I found this which might be useful for fans thinking of using cards only.

A stadium card is required to buy drinks etc at the ground and it’s cash only to get one. 

BD5DFB6C-67BA-4E11-A305-BBE2C218BC27.png

Heartsmad1874
5 minutes ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

A stadium card is required to buy drinks etc at the ground and it’s cash only to get one. 

Seems like this could easily be replicated and people being scammed to be honest😂 Not the best system that.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, D4nny_ said:

1905 Edinburgh to Zurich packed with Jambos. C’mon the famous! 🇨🇭🇱🇻♥️

Must be like walking on air.

Anyone who will be in Basel should look to get a BaselCard which will allow you free travel in Basel, including from the airport. The place that I'm staying sent 3 codes for us to use.

I'm currently sat on a plane in Cork flying to Milan straight into an overnight train to St gallen. Was 170 all in and get in tomorrow 9am. Belter. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Negan said:

I'm currently sat on a plane in Cork flying to Milan straight into an overnight train to St gallen. Was 170 all in and get in tomorrow 9am. Belter. 

Sounds a good deal. 

2 hours ago, D4nny_ said:

1905 Edinburgh to Zurich packed with Jambos. C’mon the famous! 🇨🇭🇱🇻♥️

Brilliant.  Great time to be a Jambo.

6 hours ago, SwissHearts said:

Just a swiss native supporting the best team in Scotland 🙂

:rudiyas:

Good to hear, welcome to Kickback.  😄

Do UEFA actually allow booze to be sold in grounds?

Noticed a couple of people mentioning it above but I've had a couple of experiences of grounds only selling non-alcoholic bevy during european ties due to some weird ruling – only found it out after buy 4 pints in Braga and it was the same when I went to see Fulham play in the Uefa Cup about 15 years ago.

Obviously it may have changed since then though!

23 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Do UEFA actually allow booze to be sold in grounds?

Noticed a couple of people mentioning it above but I've had a couple of experiences of grounds only selling non-alcoholic bevy during european ties due to some weird ruling – only found it out after buy 4 pints in Braga and it was the same when I went to see Fulham play in the Uefa Cup about 15 years ago.

Obviously it may have changed since then though!

I think it changed last season

But at home clubs discretion

7 hours ago, SwissHearts said:

To arrive in St Gallen and to depart on the same day (after the match) to and from Zurich. What is the best / cheapest way to buy the train tickets do you reckon?

Any any time return (same day) is 62 CHF on the SBB app. Will the price go down nearer the time? Or is it cheaper to buy on the day at the station? Or should I buy now? Thanks mate 

In a shisha bar in Zurich west, only us two, had rowdier euro trips, st gallen tomorrow though 

Edited by ericb

4 minutes ago, ericb said:

In a shisha bar in Zurich west, only us two, had rowdier euro trips, st gallen tomorrow though 

But, do they have a Hearts shisha?

hk6986red.png

HibbyinZurich
8 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

To arrive in St Gallen and to depart on the same day (after the match) to and from Zurich. What is the best / cheapest way to buy the train tickets do you reckon?

Any any time return (same day) is 62 CHF on the SBB app. Will the price go down nearer the time? Or is it cheaper to buy on the day at the station? Or should I buy now? Thanks mate 

That'll be the price whether you buy it now or 5 minutes before the train leaves.

A couple of points about the trains - you can't buy tickets on the train and there's often not ticket machines directly on the platforms themselves so get it sorted in advance would be my advice 

Heartsofgold

Have a great time travelling Jambos!!!

Lots of pictures and videos to bring out my truly jealous side please!!

Edited by Heartsofgold

For anyone staying in the city of St Gallen then you are entitled to a mobility pass which qualifies you for free travel on the local bus or train for your duration. It’s restricted to the St Gallen area. Going down to Kyburn park later to have a nosey around. A few jambos are walking around and I’m sure many more will arrive later. 

The bus to get to the stadium is the number 151 so I’m sure it’s a good omen for us. They run every half hour but more will be running on game day so I’m told. A number 4 goes there also but has a few stops enroute.

Kyburn park stadium has green seats as St Gallen fc play in green and white (hoops I think) However seeing as the last time we played at a neutral venue with the same set up then we were crowned Scottish cup winners. Again another omen for us.

Beautiful sunny day here and any other bits of info I can find then I’ll post it here along with some pics 

RustyRightPeg

Airport was mobbed this morning when I was in flying to London for work. 

Truly jealous of all who have travelled. 

Stay safe, enjoy and make sure the boys know you’re right behind them!

CloustonHMFC
15 hours ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

What website is this? The St Gallen website says credit and debit card payments are accepted. 

17A79C67-E236-4498-8106-53C2FF4203F1.jpeg

CloustonHMFC
1 minute ago, CloustonHMFC said:

What website is this? The St Gallen website says credit and debit card payments are accepted. 

17A79C67-E236-4498-8106-53C2FF4203F1.jpeg

So from what I gather, you can pay with debit or credit card but they don’t accept cash so if cash is all you have you have to get a ‘Stadionkarte’ so you can pay. If you take it to the desk in the west area of the stadium they will pay you out whatever you haven’t used. 

Just arrived in St Gallen. Sun is shining and it's very hot. However I just paid 16 quid for a sandwich. Brutal pricing here 

CloustonHMFC
3 minutes ago, Negan said:

Just arrived in St Gallen. Sun is shining and it's very hot. However I just paid 16 quid for a sandwich. Brutal pricing here 

Switzerland is very expensive. I got a caramel latte from Starbucks in St Gallen and it was a tenner. 

6 minutes ago, Negan said:

Jeez! Some folks are never happy. 🙃

92ff76e29bd9ab29b0de800ea59917b7.jpg

3 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Switzerland is very expensive. I got a caramel latte from Starbucks in St Gallen and it was a tenner. 

Caramel latte !

Serves you right

CloustonHMFC
1 minute ago, Italian Lambretta said:

The price for a burger and chips in McDonalds will be a shock to a lot of Jambos

15CHF according to the Swiss guy I work with. 

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Negan said:

No meal deals then?

1 minute ago, Italian Lambretta said:

The price for a burger and chips in McDonalds will be a shock to a lot of Jambos

Supermarket . Baguette Meat Cheese Pickle. £5. Sit in the park with a supermarket beer £3. Jobs a good un