Liz Truss

Roxy Hearts

Just watched question time. That guy at the very end who's argument against a Labour Gov because "who's to say we won't wnd up going through this same thing 2 weeks after they gain power".

There are just no words to describe the thought process.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• ri Alban

• briever

• periodictabledancer

I've not been following this pensions chat but before identifying the exact parameters of how the means are tested, is there actually anything inherently wrong with deciding a level of state pension using a means tested approach?

Pensions are effectively just an old age universal form of benefits anyway. 

periodictabledancer
Just now, hughesie27 said:

I've not been following this pensions chat but before identifying the exact parameters of how the means are tested, is there actually anything inherently wrong with deciding a level of state pension using a means tested approach?

Pensions are effectively just an old age universal form of benefits anyway. 

It's all bollocks - the clown who's tweeting it has been called out on it & refused to give a source for pretty much of any his ravings. 

periodictabledancer

Everybody needs to watch this clip of Camilla Cavendish describing how Tortoise Media have registered a tortoise, an American, and a Ukrainian, none of which exist, to be eligible to vote in the Tory leadership contest as Conservative members. General Election please

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Just watched question time. That guy at the very end who's argument against a Labour Gov because "who's to say we won't wnd up going through this same thing 2 weeks after they gain power".

There are just no words to describe the thought process.

Delusion and whataboutery cos there's nothing else.

1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

It's all bollocks - the clown who's tweeting it has been called out on it & refused to give a source for pretty much of any his ravings. 

Sure, but even if it was true, without looking at specific rule sets for defining who gets what, would folk actually be against means testing state pensions?

It does seem like quite an SNP thing to do. Ensure fair wealth distribution to reduce inequality.

periodictabledancer
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sure, but even if it was true, without looking at specific rule sets for defining who gets what, would folk actually be against means testing state pensions?

It does seem like quite an SNP thing to do. Ensure fair wealth distribution to reduce inequality.

100% against it.

They've got enough problems getting old people to vote for their latest paper. 

2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

100% against it.

They've got enough problems getting old people to vote for their latest paper. 

Oh I doubt it would be part of their Indy campaign. 

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Eh?  It’s the opposite of many of their policies, like prescriptions for example.

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Oh I doubt it would be part of their Indy campaign. 

The conversation is about the SNP's  recent Indyref3 document and the false claims made about it on here.

I'm bowing out now as there's already another  thread for this stuff. 

5 minutes ago, briever said:

Eh?  It’s the opposite of many of their policies, like prescriptions for example.

I dont think free prescriptions and ensuring the poorest in our society get a pension bump are that different.

8 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

The conversation is about the SNP's  recent Indyref3 document and the false claims made about it on here.

I'm bowing out now as there's already another  thread for this stuff. 

Indy ref 3? Have I missed the 2nd one like?

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Indy ref 3? Have I missed the 2nd one like?

Did wonder myself. Unless he means the 1979 home rule thing was the first. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Did wonder myself. Unless he means the 1979 home rule thing was the first. 

Was79 not the first devolution referendum? Think the majority voted for it but the shitehawks had some rule in place about the percentage figure or the turn out or something. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Was79 not the first devolution referendum? Think the majority voted for it but the shitehawks had some rule in place about the percentage figure or the turn out or something. 

Aye labour moved the goalposts after the event saying not a big enough turnout. 

43 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Correct the “Building a New Scotland” paper makes no claims of the sort with regard to pensions. 

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

If Boris gets back in the entire thing has been a PR stunt to solidify him as the leader. 

Refuse to believe anything else about the entire shitshow. 

This is the British Establishment and everything is a stunt! It's a sham democracy and all it does is serve the political elite. Fools follow fools and Britain is full of them. Only Scots with low self esteem support Westminster.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

This is the British Establishment and everything is a stunt! It's a sham democracy and all it does is serve the political elite. Fools follow fools and Britain is full of them. Only Scots with low self esteem support Westminster.

Well said 

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’ll be emigrating as soon as I retire and can afford it. This place is a shambles and I now believe SNP are looking at means tested state pensions ffs. Get me out of here . Shameful

I now believe the BBC's going to be showing filth 24/7 to boost figures and raise the price for privatisation.

It's not what was said, it's what wasn't said.

6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Ok let’s see

You do know you have to win a general election to put thro your manifesto. Indyref isn't an election for a neverending SNP government of Scotland, it's a referendum on Scottish independence, where post independence, there'll be an election, and if (and that's a big IF) the SNP are still around, they would have to win it with your bullshit made up policy in it.  But it's good you finally see it will happen and yes will win. 

Tick Tock!!! 

Oh and the SNP have nothing to do with what the Tory is doing.

5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Correct. The labour party put in a clause(which EUref wouldn't have met either) Reneged on devolution, lost the backing of the SNP, which cause their minority government to collapse, allowing Thatcher to take power. Then we had 25 years of labour labelling the SNP tartan Tories (Which Scottish people believe/d). When infact Labour fecked Scotland over. All about the Oil. Ask Dennis Healey.

Edited by ri Alban

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

What an utter cretin that is :lol: 

Doogz!

He actually embarrasses the other uncle tams. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
41 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Doogz!

He actually embarrasses the other uncle tams. 

Rumour is, David Cameron has the hots for pig face.

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The louder yes supporters, and the mods on this board, still superchill on the racist terminology lazily employed in the debate, it seems. Braw :)

Only Tories are racist Jonesy. Separatists are all welcoming tolerant types. 😊

Psychedelicropcircle
8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

What an utter cretin that is :lol: 

The sort of strong character Scottish fitba needs 😀

40 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The louder yes supporters, and the mods on this board, still superchill on the racist terminology lazily employed in the debate, it seems. Braw :)

Scottish folk talking about Scottish folk is racist, in what way?. Blacks calling fellow blacks uncle Toms because of what they did on behalf of the whites isn't racist. 

But you keep trying to blur the lines if it makes Hoose Jocks feel better, Braw! 

Terminology is not owned, but HJs and UTs are. 👍 There's a good boy :welldone:

Edited by ri Alban

34 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Only Tories are racist Jonesy. Separatists are all welcoming tolerant types. 😊

Aw, Hoosejock Uncle Tamson wean calling Scottish people separatists. There's a good boy. 

Talk about Uncle Tams. Where's Hoose Jock number one. Baroness Ruth the Mooth. A real power of the we are the people. 

9 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I dont think free prescriptions and ensuring the poorest in our society get a pension bump are that different.

They are applied in an opposite way.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aw, Hoosejock Uncle Tamson wean calling Scottish people separatists. There's a good boy. 

Talk about Uncle Tams. Where's Hoose Jock number one. Baroness Ruth the Mooth. A real power of the we are the people. 

I’m glad you have an avenue to let all your anger out Ri. 

52 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You think because something coined by a black person about another black person means it’s racist if a white person uses it about a white person?

Have I got that right?

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'll vote for indy because it's better than the Westminster shambles. But, thanks to the McGammons like yerself, don't hold out high hopes for it being that much better. 

Mcgammons?  MODS MODS MODS Jonesy is being racist again.

Funny how they only get offended when it's about them. Not a peep fae Jones when Mel, or other kilt wearers are posted to try to ridicule. 

Funny that.

If HJ and UT is racist, Brigadoon,Jock, Scotchman and other terms and use of Braveheart etc... Will be under the same list. So jonesy be careful where you want to drag it. 

9 hours ago, briever said:

6 minutes ago, briever said:

If one isn’t means tested but the other is then they would be applied in an opposite way.

I read your original post as though you were suggesting that it was opposite, in a political sense, to their policies. As in a Left v Right approach.

I dont think a political party having some policies/benefits means tested and other not as a stumbling block.

My main point doesn't really care about specific parties anyway. It was sa general question about the idea of means tested pensions.

35 minutes ago, briever said:

Mcgammons?  MODS MODS MODS Jonesy is being racist again.

:spoton:Jocksey kidding on he voted yes and will vote yes again

:rofl:Manalive says "Haud ma beer, that's my routine"

18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If HJ and UT is racist, Brigadoon,Jock, Scotchman and other terms and use of Braveheart etc... Will be under the same list. So jonesy be careful where you want to drag it. 

Fair comment.