National rail strikes planned by RMT

IronJambo

14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Targeting the public is nasty as feck

Two 'Micks' sums it up for me. Twats

It's not targeting the public. It's targeting a busy period that will give the economy a hit and upset powerful people. Do you think it would be more sensible to strike at the quietest time possible? Maybe it could be a great strategy to wait until there are line closures and only strike then and on those lines? That would make a real impact wouldn't it 🤦

It's common knowledge that trains are empty anyway so nobody will miss the service anyway. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronJambo

• ri Alban

• Ked

• The Real Maroonblood

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

For anyone planning a trip away on the train you'd maybe be best to avoid week begining Monday 13th March.

There's nothing been planned or announced but with Cheltenham festival on that week there's no better date on the horizon. The two Mick's need to be coordinating to kill the railway for that entire week.

👍

Good luck. 

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It's not targeting the public. It's targeting a busy period that will give the economy a hit and upset powerful people. Do you think it would be more sensible to strike at the quietest time possible? Maybe it could be a great strategy to wait until there are line closures and only strike then and on those lines? That would make a real impact wouldn't it 🤦

It's common knowledge that trains are empty anyway so nobody will miss the service anyway. 

It's targeting joe public who will use the train.

The bookies won't take a hit as most of the money is taken online and in shops

Posh folk and racehorse owners will get chauffeur driven to the course.

The Government and train operators won't give a feck that you're targeting Cheltenham.

Unions seem to have boxed themselves into a corner.

It looks like Mick Lynch is about building his media image.  It suits him to keep the strikes going so he gets on the telly.  However, how much is he costing his members in lost wages over what he expects the employer to negotiate on?

Surely there comes a point where you realise your strategy isn't working?

46 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Away tae ****, people have to stand up for themselves, and non disruptive disruption is just a nonsense.

Good luck to them, don't stop fighting.

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It looks like Mick Lynch is about building his media image.  It suits him to keep the strikes going so he gets on the telly.  

:cornette:

2nd Royal mail ballot finishes on Thursday, hopefully another massive yes vote.

Edited by maroondevo52

31 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Unions seem to have boxed themselves into a corner.

It looks like Mick Lynch is about building his media image.  It suits him to keep the strikes going so he gets on the telly.  However, how much is he costing his members in lost wages over what he expects the employer to negotiate on?

Surely there comes a point where you realise your strategy isn't working?

Mick lynch is getting the mandate to strike from his members who vote on it.

you do know it’s not his decision to strike, it goes to a vote which has been overwhelming in favour of strikes 

snd not just the rail industry! 
tells a story really.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Maximum disruption is the point of the strike is it not? Ffs 😂😂😂😂

29 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Away tae ****, people have to stand up for themselves, and non disruptive disruption is just a nonsense.

Good luck to them, don't stop fighting.

Well said mate.👍

5 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Good luck 👍👍👍

Thanks, don't think it will be as big as the 98.7 % in the 1st ballot, I know plenty guys who have lost over £1,500 on the strike days so far but are still determined to vote Yes to strike for as long as it takes.

2 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

Thanks, don't think it will be as big as the 98.7 % in the 1st ballot, I know plenty guys who have lost over £1,500 on the strike days so far but are still determined to vote Yes to strike for as long as it takes.

You have to mate, I’ve lost a good few quid also but it’s fighting for conditions that you’ve had for years and guys and woman fought for, it’s not all about money contrary to what people not involved in them think.

49 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Mick lynch is getting the mandate to strike from his members who vote on it.

you do know it’s not his decision to strike, it goes to a vote which has been overwhelming in favour of strikes 

snd not just the rail industry! 
tells a story really.

From what I was told these ballots are done with a lot of pressure on the members to vote.  

It doesn't affect me either way as I rarely use the trains.

However, its crystal clear that unless the unions drop their demands down they won't ever get the employers to speak to them.  Strikes clearly aren't having any impact except to the customers and the profits that would need to fund any settlement.

Just now, frankblack said:

From what I was told these ballots are done with a lot of pressure on the members to vote.  

However, its crystal clear that unless the unions drop their demands down they won't ever get the employers to speak to them.  Strikes clearly aren't having any impact except to the customers and the profits that would need to fund any settlement.

Never felt under any pressure in any ballot, free world  you can vote how you wish, nobody sees your vote.

as for the employers speaking? Well the government are pulling the strings in that one, if it was up to individual employers to negotiate then I can guarantee the strikes wouldn’t have went in this far If indeed we’d had any strikes at all.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

They should have the strike just during the night.

That’ll show them.

29 minutes ago, frankblack said:

What do you suggest they do then? Just bend over and take it, with each passing day the clock ticking on the rest of us?

This is the whole point in paying subs to be part of a union, so don't know what you're getting at with your claim of 'pressure' on members to vote.

I've also never felt under any pressure to vote, it's my decision. I have had managers asking me not to strike and telling me not to moan about losing money as I can work on strike days if I want.

They had me out on my route training an agency driver so he could cover my strike days.

47 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Never felt under any pressure in any ballot, free world  you can vote how you wish, nobody sees your vote.

as for the employers speaking? Well the government are pulling the strings in that one, if it was up to individual employers to negotiate then I can guarantee the strikes wouldn’t have went in this far If indeed we’d had any strikes at all.

The government have made it crystal clear that they won't negotiate unless the Unions lower their demands.

Its a Mexican Standoff.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The government have made it crystal clear that they won't negotiate unless the Unions lower their demands.

Its a Mexican Standoff.

The Government have nothing to do with the Royal Mail strike.

**Sorry just noticed it wasn't me you quoted**

Edited by maroondevo52

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Its a Mexican Standoff.

Yeh but they’ll allow huge dividends paid to their pals whilst saying there’s no money to be made 

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Probably, but it doesn't stop me thinking that it's shitty.

They're not doing themselves any favours when it comes to public opinion 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Probably, but it doesn't stop me thinking that it's shitty.

They're not doing themselves any favours when it comes to public opinion 

It’s not being done to be popular 

Nucky Thompson
36 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

I've also never felt under any pressure to vote, it's my decision. I have had managers asking me not to strike and telling me not to moan about losing money as I can work on strike days if I want.

They had me out on my route training an agency driver so he could cover my strike days.

Royal mail workers are fighting a losing battle.

Christmas was their chance and nobody noticed any difference

41 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Reading it in the Daily Mail doesn't count

Nope.  You lap up your separatist nonsense from that Nationalist comic.

I'm going by what someone in a union told me.

fabienleclerq
5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its a Mexican Standoff.

The government said they weren't involved remember...

They've also said they've given the companies a mandate to get this resolved. 

I note you said unions née to drop their demands but not the companies/government. They aren't offering a straight payrise, they want ridiculous amounts of condition changes for not a lot of extra money.

Offer a straight payrise it ends tomorrow imo. Offer a payrise with reasonable changes and it's likely aswell. 

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Are any of these strikes actually working in terms of achieving the pay rises they want?

😂😂😂😂

Vindictiveness doesn’t or at least shouldn’t get rewarded with pay rises. Hopefully company bosses and governments hold firm. 

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Never read the National, in fact never read any papers. Also never believe fairy stories on here, makes for a better day

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

Circulation of less than 10,000 Francis, you're deluded if you think it's any kind of important player

12 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its a Mexican Standoff.

You have it the wrong way around.

It's the government and train operating companies making demands that are unacceptable to the unions and their members. This isn't about pay, no matter how often the government led press tell you it is 

SectionDJambo
11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Royal mail workers are fighting a losing battle.

Christmas was their chance and nobody noticed any difference

You're probably correct.

It will be the public who will lose the battle when their mail stops being delivered to their door 6 days a week. We'll either receive it on 2 or 3 days a week or have to go to a post office to see if we've anything lying around. The latter would be a problem for us in Newtongrange as we don't have a post office anymore. We have to go to Dalkeith or Gorebridge to send a parcel, overseas mail or signed for letters.

We were told that privatisation would improve the service. 

Fxxx the SPFL
53 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

You're probably correct.

It will be the public who will lose the battle when their mail stops being delivered to their door 6 days a week. We'll either receive it on 2 or 3 days a week or have to go to a post office to see if we've anything lying around. The latter would be a problem for us in Newtongrange as we don't have a post office anymore. We have to go to Dalkeith or Gorebridge to send a parcel, overseas mail or signed for letters.

We were told that privatisation would improve the service. 

You could get the train to Gorebridge :whistling: oh unless they are on strike

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Check the plebs who think they're establishment because they're a bit better off than the other plebs  :lol:

Easy access to 'cheap' credit has fooled a large chunk of the UK population into thinking they're middle class.

They've bought the Thatcherite dream. 

Poor lambs.

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Easy access to 'cheap' credit has fooled a large chunk of the UK population into thinking they're middle class.

I totally agree with you on that one.

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They've bought the Thatcherite dream. 

Poor lambs.

I'm not sure that most people identify with a "class" these days. 

What would define middle class to you?

I've always considered myself to be working class and I don't think any amount of money could change that.

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

Never read the National, in fact never read any papers. Also never believe fairy stories on here, makes for a better day

I haven't bought a newspaper in years, and never bought the likes of the Mail or Express (other than maybe when it had free music cds of bands I followed, where I'd bin the paper).

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

You have it the wrong way around.

It's the government and train operating companies making demands that are unacceptable to the unions and their members. This isn't about pay, no matter how often the government led press tell you it is 

The problem here is you think the staff can block any change.  That doesn't happen anywhere else, and at the end of the day you are the employee not the employer.  There's only going to be one winner here.

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The problem here is you think the staff can block any change.  That doesn't happen anywhere else, and at the end of the day you are the employee not the employer.  There's only going to be one winner here.

Thanks for your expert opinion. I'll pass it on and advise that we should bend over and take it dry because there's no point. I'll advise at the same time to get them to let the government add back in the things that have already been retracted. If anyone questions it I'll just tell them that frankblack from kickback has spoken. 

34 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Thanks for your expert opinion. I'll pass it on and advise that we should bend over and take it dry because there's no point. I'll advise at the same time to get them to let the government add back in the things that have already been retracted. If anyone questions it I'll just tell them that frankblack from kickback has spoken. 

You do what you are told because they pay you to do it.  You can always choose differently and work elsewhere.

I've been on the wrong end of this a few times in the private sector.  Fighting it doesn't get you far.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

I'm not sure that most people identify with a "class" these days. 

What would define middle class to you?

I've always considered myself to be working class and I don't think any amount of money could change that.

I'd agree with you on not identifying within a class these days.

The point I'm making is one of a lack of empathy or solidarity for those that provide the services we rely on day to day. There's a lot of looking down the nose at posties, train drivers, bus drivers etc. 

FWIW I'd consider myself to be 'working class'. 

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'd agree with you on not identifying within a class these days.

The point I'm making is one of a lack of empathy or solidarity for those that provide the services we rely on day to day. There's a lot of looking down the nose at posties, train drivers, bus drivers etc. 

FWIW I'd consider myself to be 'working class'. 

Brexit says it all. Working class folk voting Tory, so they could make their lives worse and the Tory better. Lee Anderson is the new working class hero for these mugs. Mick Lynch is the working class hero I identify with . Tho I don't agree with his Brexit views. But I don't agree with Sturgeon on the Gender ID farce either .

Edited by ri Alban

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

You could get the train to Gorebridge :whistling: oh unless they are on strike

I've been known to walk up to Gorebridge. I was a native, or a  "German" as they say in this village, for many years.

Fxxx the SPFL
28 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I've been known to walk up to Gorebridge. I was a native, or a  "German" as they say in this village, for many years.

ha ha in a former life i left the civil service and did a year labouring for Balfour Kilpatrick one of my first jobs 1978 ish was the sports centre at Arniston used to bash through the work in the morning then into the Goth if it was open or the football club for a few swallies then if its was a nice afternoon sunbathe on the roof of the centre. A year was enough too much hard work back to pen pushing for me lol.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

You do what you are told because they pay you to do it.  You can always choose differently and work elsewhere.

I've been on the wrong end of this a few times in the private sector.  Fighting it doesn't get you far.

We've had our fights before and not come off badly. They've already backed down on some things but there are plenty of other things that still can't be accepted on our end. We're not feckless enough to just roll over and die.