National rail strikes planned by RMT

IronJambo

9 minutes ago, Boab said:

Still waiting on that link if you have it ?

He's probably on about a nonsense article published in the daily mail. He clearly has no clue about the guy it was written about.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronJambo

• ri Alban

• Ked

• The Real Maroonblood

Malinga the Swinga
18 minutes ago, Boab said:

Still waiting on that link if you have it ?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rmt-railmen-stick-up-for-kremlin-s7v8hd35l

https://news.knowledia.com/GB/en/articles/how-close-is-the-rmt-union-to-vladimir-putin-s-russia-bbbe2e4055c6c01a182b1aec9da10f59e05b7a9e

Have to confess I simply looked up Google with RMT/Moscow search. Couple of links came up. I mean I'm sure you have already done the same and will now post whatever rebuffels that are also no doubt available on internet.

Not even sure 2nd link works but I'm not the best at posting these things.

11 hours ago, theshed said:

Totally different dispute. The drivers 5% is for Scotrail only but this thread is network rail and rmt.. this is uk wide and they haven’t been offered anything at the moment i don’t think 

2% was on the table from NWR I think.

dobmisterdobster
22 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Just like they got used to not using them the last 1 and a half years when they were told to refrain from using them if they could.

take it youve not been on the trains recently.

they are bursting at the seams.

id say definitely back up with pre pandemic levels imo.

Only official figures can prove that

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

https://news.knowledia.com/GB/en/articles/how-close-is-the-rmt-union-to-vladimir-putin-s-russia-bbbe2e4055c6c01a182b1aec9da10f59e05b7a9e

Have to confess I simply looked up Google with RMT/Moscow search. Couple of links came up. I mean I'm sure you have already done the same and will now post whatever rebuffels that are also no doubt available on internet.

😂😂😂😂😂

Eddie Dempsey does not support war in Ukraine in any way whatsoever 🤦

You'd be hard pushed to meet a nicer bloke. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's shed tears for Ukraine. 

2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

We're at 80% of pre pandemic levels 

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thanks.

You’re right, I had tried to find an anti-Semitic, IRA supporting official who was in Putin’s pocket and, guess what, nothing came up !

Smearing union officials is nothing new of course. It’s all bullshit and if people were honest with themselves, they’d admit it.

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, Boab said:

Thanks.

You’re right, I had tried to find an anti-Semitic, IRA supporting official who was in Putin’s pocket and, guess what, nothing came up !

Smearing union officials is nothing new of course. It’s all bullshit and if people were honest with themselves, they’d admit it.

Wasn't aware they were anti Semitic or pro IRA. Hadn't even seen it mentioned. Thanks for that.

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Wasn't aware they were anti Semitic or pro IRA. Hadn't even seen it mentioned. Thanks for that.

They’re not. Unless you read the Daily Heil !

42 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yeah, Steve Hedley's got an Irish accent. Can't help with the anti semitic part though.

22 hours ago, Boab said:

I’d like to read it if you’ve got a link.

If it is the comments made by Ked on the make-up of the union leadership, I can confirm reading a 2 page spread in the Daily Mail last week. I haven't got a link but it went on about their support for the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and if I remember correctly included details of their trips in the last few years to eastern parts of Ukraine where they met Russian 'freedom fighters'.  I also seem to remember the union response being that those involved are no longer office bearers. I'm happy to be corrected if I've remembered any of this incorrectly. 

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

😂😂😂😂😂

Eddie Dempsey does not support war in Ukraine in any way whatsoever 🤦

You'd be hard pushed to meet a nicer bloke. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's shed tears for Ukraine. 

Twitter 上的Keep Our NHS Public:"Remember when you see Matt Hancock shedding  a crocodile tear on TV that #Covid has killed more civilians in the UK than  Hitler did in WW2 That's

Government's new Big Idea: let rail companies hire temps to cover striking staff.

Oh aye, because letting untrained random people operate the rail network is in no way dangerous.

:vrface:

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Government's new Big Idea: let rail companies hire temps to cover striking staff.

Oh aye, because letting untrained random people operate the rail network is in no way dangerous.

:vrface:

What could possibly go wrong.

fabienleclerq
On 10/06/2022 at 08:51, dobmisterdobster said:

Not really, the amount of people who walk through Waverley without paying is staggering, no way to count them. The trains are busy,today was as busy a Sunday as pre pandemic comfortably. 

Steven Hedley .

It's simple to Google.

These union leaders see their job as much more than defending the membership.

He regularly has appeared at pro Palestinian rallies which he's entitled to do.

But the language he has used towards Jewish people is a picture worth painting.

There's also the links with certain players in Ukraine that are Russian separatists and not very nice people.

The posters who don't want to look at the sudden militant stance despite the previous 3 years are not looking hard enough.

I don't read or quote the daily mail.

But if you think these characters are not influenced then you can blindly and selfishly follow them.

There's a place for unions but when they are used as weapons from foreign interests they are anything but.

It's easy to find the stuff concerning the unions top brass.

And it's not the daily mail.

32 minutes ago, Ked said:

Steven Hedley .

It's simple to Google.

These union leaders see their job as much more than defending the membership.

He regularly has appeared at pro Palestinian rallies which he's entitled to do.

But the language he has used towards Jewish people is a picture worth painting.

There's also the links with certain players in Ukraine that are Russian separatists and not very nice people.

The posters who don't want to look at the sudden militant stance despite the previous 3 years are not looking hard enough.

I don't read or quote the daily mail.

But if you think these characters are not influenced then you can blindly and selfishly follow them.

There's a place for unions but when they are used as weapons from foreign interests they are anything but.

It's easy to find the stuff concerning the unions top brass.

And it's not the daily mail.

Look, mate, many top politicians in government are influenced by foreign interests…many people follow them blindly and selfishly. Corrupt as the day is long !

There are not very nice people everywhere. Here, Ukraine, the States,  Russia..everywhere, and in all walks of life.

Strong unions are vital. A necessity in these times, or any times for that matter.

Heard one Tory politician calling the latest proposed strike as selfish. I couldn’t believe my ears. A cabinet who should be in prison..pontificating !

😂

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Look, mate, many top politicians in government are influenced by foreign interests…many people follow them blindly and selfishly. Corrupt as the day is long !

There are not very nice people everywhere. Here, Ukraine, the States,  Russia..everywhere, and in all walks of life.

Strong unions are vital. A necessity in these times, or any times for that matter.

Heard one Tory politician calling the latest proposed strike as selfish. I couldn’t believe my ears. A cabinet who should be in prison..pontificating !

😂

You asked why I linked union officials to anti semitic remarks.

You asked and questioned their links to Russian communists.

I agree that unions are important.

But these particular individuals have an agenda separate to their members rights.

I am not defending tory policies.

I am however sceptical of a trade union whose leaders embark on the political use of their position.

And if you are naive enough to not believes that delve deeper for yourself.

I couldn't give a fek .

Those who had a wee trip slagging me off about reading the daily mail go as far as the immediate results they search for.

Try a wee Google of rmt and Russian separatists.

It's amusing to see the hipcracy.

I'm all for people from my side of the street getting on.

But this lot have an agenda that's all about ruin.

Eddie Dempsey and the leader of ghost squad.

Just one of the many links to the Kremlin.

It's naive at best and ignorant at worst to ignore the inroads Russia  has made .

From fuel to the tory party and even Washington.

It's easiest route is a massive union like the RMT.

Whose leaders are members of the communist party and visit Russian separatist "ghost squads"

The timing isn't coincidence of the current strike proposals.

Might also wonder why although many years ago why the RMT gave a platform to Gerry Adams.

At one of their AGMs.

As I've said no problem with unions but the RMT is a political tool used by foreign powers .

7 hours ago, Ked said:

Eddie Dempsey and the leader of ghost squad.

Just one of the many links to the Kremlin.

It's naive at best and ignorant at worst to ignore the inroads Russia  has made .

From fuel to the tory party and even Washington.

It's easiest route is a massive union like the RMT.

Whose leaders are members of the communist party and visit Russian separatist "ghost squads"

The timing isn't coincidence of the current strike proposals.

I agree it’s naive to ignore Russian influence in Western affairs.

Arguably, they got Trump into power and have made significant inroads to bankrolling the UK government.

It’s naive in the extreme to think they haven’t got their fingers in all Western affairs.

Being a member of the CP isn’t a crime. Influencing and colluding in the election of Western governments is.

It’s the hypocrisy of anti-union commentators that’s the problem.

Fxxx the SPFL
12 hours ago, Boab said:

😂

i agree with your strong unions comment but i wish to feck the rail unions had consulted me first as i'm due to travel back on 21st June from Coventry now having to travel back day before and granted there will be some numpty in our seats will have to set the wife on them lol

We're just greedy ***** that only care about money though. The railway will go completely down the shitter if we don't take on this fight. It might anyway but at least we're trying.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/every-railway-ticket-office-england-7225040

The Government is planning to close every rail ticket office in England, leaving passengers to buy their tickets online, according to The Times. The move will save £500million a year and is reported to be ready to roll out from September.

The paper says the rail industry has written a confidential strategy to phase out physical tickets, closing its almost 1,000 ticket offices in England. One in every eight tickets is still bought over the counter according to Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

And charity Age Concern says around 3million people over the age of 65 do not have internet access. Caroline Abrahams of Age UK told The Times: “Many more [older people] lack an up-to-date smartphone or tablet, or live in a place with unreliable broadband. These people have relied on buying tickets face-to-face or over the phone and then collecting them from a station machine. What are they expected to do if everything goes online?”

In a speech Mr Shapps said: “The quietest office sold just 17 tickets in three months. Any sensible plan would move staff away from where they are not needed, like ticket offices.”

He added that staff would be available to help customers with their tickets, saying they would: “welcome passengers who cannot or do not want to use contactless or mobile tickets, advise on journeys and timetables and help them buy tickets”.

6 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

We're just greedy ***** that only care about money though. The railway will go completely down the shitter if we don't take on this fight. It might anyway but at least we're trying.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/every-railway-ticket-office-england-7225040

The Government is planning to close every rail ticket office in England, leaving passengers to buy their tickets online, according to The Times. The move will save £500million a year and is reported to be ready to roll out from September.

The paper says the rail industry has written a confidential strategy to phase out physical tickets, closing its almost 1,000 ticket offices in England. One in every eight tickets is still bought over the counter according to Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

And charity Age Concern says around 3million people over the age of 65 do not have internet access. Caroline Abrahams of Age UK told The Times: “Many more [older people] lack an up-to-date smartphone or tablet, or live in a place with unreliable broadband. These people have relied on buying tickets face-to-face or over the phone and then collecting them from a station machine. What are they expected to do if everything goes online?”

In a speech Mr Shapps said: “The quietest office sold just 17 tickets in three months. Any sensible plan would move staff away from where they are not needed, like ticket offices.”

He added that staff would be available to help customers with their tickets, saying they would: “welcome passengers who cannot or do not want to use contactless or mobile tickets, advise on journeys and timetables and help them buy tickets”.

The ticket machines at stations let people get their tickets on the day or in advance.  Most elderly do have mobile phones nowadays.

This is a complete non-story, but no doubt something to strike over.

Just now, frankblack said:

The ticket machines at stations let people get their tickets on the day or in advance.  Most elderly do have mobile phones nowadays.

This is a complete non-story, but no doubt something to strike over.

I can tell you have somewhere between none and very little experience of dealing with the general public on the railway.

10 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I can tell you have somewhere between none and very little experience of dealing with the general public on the railway.

Its just moving with the times.

How are these people going to cope with automated turnstyles at football matches or contactless payments?

The picture you painted is the same one spouted 30 years ago by unions.

Meanwhile they are expecting people who buy season tickets for the Glasgow-Edinburgh commute to pay £5k p.a.  If you want to get paid more then you need to be more efficient and cost savings will have to be made such as this.

How are these people going to cope with automated turnstyles at football matches or contactless payments?

Meanwhile they are expecting people who buy season tickets for the Glasgow-Edinburgh commute to pay £5k p.a.  If you want to get paid more then you need to be more efficient and cost savings will have to be made such as this.

Do you think this stops at ticket offices? And they are depended on by many. Do you really think that every part of a public service has to make money?

Catering services on board will be next because they aren't always profitable. Surely profit shouldn't come before offering a basic provision of food and drinks on long distance services?

What after that? Non profitable branch lines? Let's just close them. Isolate the communities that they serve. Let them rot into complete shitholes. 

Dennis Reynolds

I'm surprised paper tickets are even still a thing tbh. Seems to be getting phased out in majority of sectors, don't see why the railway should be any different. Contactless worked great in London for the underground. Tapped in and tapped out and your card is automatically charged. Long gone are the days of standing in a queue to buy a ticket. The railway does seem to be heavily stuck in the 'thats how it's always been done' mantra though.

3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I'm surprised paper tickets are even still a thing tbh. Seems to be getting phased out in majority of sectors, don't see why the railway should be any different. Contactless worked great in London for the underground. Tapped in and tapped out and your card is automatically charged. Long gone are the days of standing in a queue to buy a ticket. The railway does seem to be heavily stuck in the 'thats how it's always been done' mantra though.

:spoton:

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They want more pay working for a company that needed 16 billion from the taxpayer.

Despite someone issuing tickets being paid more than a nurse.

Just now, IronJambo said:

Do you think this stops at ticket offices? And they are depended on by many. Do you really think that every part of a public service has to make money?

Catering services on board will be next because they aren't always profitable. Surely profit shouldn't come before offering a basic provision of food and drinks on long distance services?

What after that? Non profitable branch lines? Let's just close them. Isolate the communities that they serve. Let them rot into complete shitholes. 

🤣🤣🤣

16 billion 

And every previous year for the last 10 at least 4 billion.

It's pathetic .

Do you really think someone issuing tickets will get any support for striking for more money when they already earn grands more than the average.

The bit about food on the train is comedy gold.

🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

More scaremongering.  You have to move with the times - deal with it instead of constantly resisting any change.

The people to feel sorry for are the poor commuter being priced out of traveling in the first place.

Edited by frankblack

3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

London Underground does work well but that’s impossible to do in Scotland with all the open stations as it’s overground trains 

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

More scaremongering.  You have to move with the times - deal with it instead of constantly resisting any change.

The people to feel sorry for are the poor commuter being priced out of traveling in the first place.

Do you think the government closing ticket offices is in line with the inclusive society we strive for these days? We surely shouldn't be taking away a system that works for everyone and discriminating against the minority by isolating them. 

2 minutes ago, Ked said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/61840077

So now that we know they're already on a decent wage and their industry already supported by taxes is the strike about a cup of tea and a cheese piece on long journeys 😀

😂😂😂😂😂 What utter nonsense those figures are

Do you think the government closing ticket offices is in line with the inclusive society we strive for these days? We surely shouldn't be taking away a system that works for everyone and discriminating against the minority by isolating them. 

Striking and mucking up people going to work is inclusive aye?

Wanting more taxpayers money to fund the wage rise and resist modernisation at the expense of what?

Where would you cut the billions needed to bolster the above average wages already earned?

Or do you want the rest of us taxed more?

😂😂😂😂😂 What utter nonsense those figures are

They're fact checked .

Perhaps you could show us a rebuttal?

3 minutes ago, Ked said:

Striking and mucking up people going to work is inclusive aye?

Wanting more taxpayers money to fund the wage rise and resist modernisation at the expense of what?

Where would you cut the billions needed to bolster the above average wages already earned?

Or do you want the rest of us taxed more?

2 minutes ago, Ked said:

They're fact checked .

Perhaps you could show us a rebuttal?

You do understand we've got a shameless, lying tory government here? Fact checked my arse.

A ticket examiner earns around £22k where I am and that's out of London Paddington. Less elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Nonsense.  There is no discrimination - the technology and services are there for everyone regardless of disabilities.

This is all about resisting modernisation as @Ked already explained.

Nonsense.  There is no discrimination - the technology and services are there for everyone regardless of disabilities.

This is all about resisting modernisation as @Ked already explained.

Whatever you reckon

ArcticJambo

Old folks need to get a friend or relative to sort them with a card.  They can present it to the boy that comes down the aisle and get their ticket there and then, if they don't fancy the wee machines or the web of everything. Just turn up for your train, no worries. Simples. :D

Only reason I use the waverley one is so I can follow the wee number thingy blinking red. :sweeet:

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Old folks need to get a friend or relative to sort them with a card.  They can present it to the boy that comes down the aisle and get their ticket there and then, if they don't fancy the wee machines or the web of everything. Just turn up for your train, no worries. Simples. :D

Only reason I use the waverley one is so I can follow the wee number thingy blinking red. :sweeet:

They probably can't get on a train without a ticket in many cases. Or even find the train they want to get on.

5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You do understand we've got a shameless, lying tory government here? Fact checked my arse.

A ticket examiner earns around £22k where I am and that's out of London Paddington. Less elsewhere. 

those figures come from the ONS not the govt

8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Must be part time then?

30 hours or less?

Because the figures I quoted are facts.

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

those figures come from the ONS not the govt

😂 Made to look like what they want. Telling people there's a median average salary of £44k is poor propoganda. The only people in the railway earning that and more are specialised track workers, drivers, fitters, management and directors. Directors that make £150k+ at that.

1 minute ago, Ked said:

Must be part time then?

30 hours or less?

Because the figures I quoted are facts.

No they're not facts. You believe them as that if you want. Say hi to Peter Pan for me.