Yet another school shooting in America

chubby1973

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

So most of the guns in Canada are used as they were intended. As tools for a purpose. The problem in America is that a lot of the guns are tools with one purpose, killing people. Of course you can kill someone with a hunting rifle but it's a tool for hunting animals. A handgun or assault rifle is made for the purpose of shooting human beings, especially handguns. 

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• JudyJudyJudy

• Jambo-Jimbo

• trotter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Already arrested the parents. Think that would happen so quickly in the US? And also discussing changes to the law on day one.

When that teacher got shot by the 6-year old in Virginia, they didn't formally arrest the child's mother for 3 months, but they had her in for questioning the day after the shooting.  It's also worth noting that a lot of spree killers in the United States are never arrested because they either kill themselves or are killed by the cops. 

Serbia already has tough gun laws, but loads of people are in the habit of owning weapons.  It seems to be a throwback to the war following the collapse of Yugoslavia.

Edited by Ulysses

I watched some windup merchant who shames folk who don't put back their shopping trolleys on YouTube. Cart Narcs or something. And some absolute head injury pulled a gun on him for putting a wee magnetic sticker on his truck. If that's what triggers the trigger, well...

Edited by ri Alban

That thing you do
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I watched some windup merchant who shames folk who don't put back their shopping trolleys on YouTube. Cart Narcs or something. And some absolute head injury pulled a gun on him for putting a wee magnetic sticker on his truck. If that's what triggers the trigger, well...

Its up there with Black teenager rang my doorbell so gotta get to the trigger without ever asking for context why they are there.

If thats acceptable. Its the wild west all over again. 

3 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Its up there with Black teenager rang my doorbell so gotta get to the trigger without ever asking for context why they are there.

If thats acceptable. Its the wild west all over again. 

It's heartbreaking. A young lad goes to pick up his wee brothers, chaps the next door neighbours by mistake, and Boom!. It was only 10pm, so not very late. He probably got a pat on the back . *****.

Just another day at the mall. The bookies should be laying odds on who will be first up with the thoughts and prayers, then get more guns out there to solve this, Why weren't these people packing. 

Edited by JFK-1

Fxxx the SPFL

Heading off to San Francisco this week will make sure I shield myself will put the wife between any shooter and me.

John Findlay
38 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Heading off to San Francisco this week will make sure I shield myself will put the wife between any shooter and me.

Try and seek out the bar called the Edinburgh Castle.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Just another day at the mall. The bookies should be laying odds on who will be first up with the thoughts and prayers, then get more guns out there to solve this, Why weren't these people packing. 

Shooter was killed by a cop that just happened to be on scene.

So, that proves that what we need is a lot more good guys with guns.

:silviodamn:

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Is that still going? I was in there in 1978

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Will do John

jack D and coke

Just shy of 14k shot dead in the US this year already….
The worst year of the Vietnam war over 16k died and the country was up in arms.

Some place. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Some place. 

The USA is always up in arms. That is their problem, and they don't want to combat(Pardon the pun) the problem.

The only combat they don't want to get involved in.

Sawdust Caesar
11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Some place. 

That is some stat. I wonder if that would that be classed as an epedemic if it was a disease killing that many?

Amongst peer nations the USA has by far the highest child and teen firearm mortality rate at 5.6 deaths per 100,000. The 2nd highest is Canada at 0.8, then France at 0.5. The UK is at 0.1 along with a few others and the comparable country average is 0.3.

Tommy Brown
On 09/05/2023 at 08:59, jack D and coke said:

Some place. 

:lol: great stat

safer being sent out to war than going about your own business.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I think this might be the greatest tweet of all time on the matter.

:rofl:

periodictabledancer
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

I know it's not intended to be funny but I was roaring out loud. 

Poor ole Wayne doesn't have a clue what just happened to him. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, periodictabledancer said:

I know it's not intended to be funny but I was roaring out loud. 

Poor ole Wayne doesn't have a clue what just happened to him. 

I know.

That speaker.

What a fruit cake.

1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

I think this might be the greatest tweet of all time on the matter.

Class. And the NRA-supporting folk applauded too. :D

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2023 at 13:18, redjambo said:

Class. And the NRA-supporting folk applauded too. :D

Definitely a crafty way to present it, though I suspected from the start it was sarcasm that would eventually become clearer given the context it's posted in here. I think at this stage everybody knows what this insanity is about though may not say it but some do.

What's their rationale for all these guns? Well their most prominent one is defence, need to protect me and my family. Which begs the question protect them from what? I think we could all envisage the list they would rhyme off, everything from mad dogs to escaped lunatics or something.

But if you're talking about defending you and your family from being murdered, well there's an 80% chance your murderer will kill you with a gun. I think right now the national murder rate is around 6 in every 100,000 but is much more than that in some states, multiple times more in some.

The British murder rate is around 1 per 100,000 and has bene for a long time. The equivalent of guns in Britain might be the knife, and though I don't know this would speculate if it's not the most common murder weapon it's certainly one of the most common.

The gun murder rate in Britain is around 40 per year, the US I think something like 20 a day. Almost one an hour. And that's where they diverge from British rates, the knife murder rates are roughly comparable for both countries.

So there it is, indisputable to me that guns don't protect, they get you killed, 80% of the time somebody is being killed. The British literally dodge that bullet but have a comparable knife problem.

And you know I strongly suspect that if you could walk into Asda and walk out with a handgun or a military style assault rifle or both if you want, we might see an even higher murder rate than the US. Guns are a curse on the US population and the real reason for it is there are simply people who like guns.

And they like them so much they don't give feck that the guaranteed end result will be mass murder everywhere. In your streets in your theatres in your churches in your supermarkets in your schools. they know it and they don't care.

To me that's a real black mark on a civilised society. It's a self inflicted insanity and an appalling daily almost hourly tragedy.

Edited by JFK-1

Certainly a massive problem that aint going to go away...

I see Governor Ron has passed a law in Florida that allows concealed carry without a government issued permit, coming into affect this week.....so any manic can carry a firearm without checks !?

Heading over in a couple of months...already seen folk stopped at the entrance to the parks as they thought they could take firearms inside.....mental

Edited by moz

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

More killings in Baltimore 

Currently 2 reported dead and a staggering 28 wounded in that one. Surprising there aren't more dead, I know nothing about guns but I do know whatever went down here it wasn't an assault rifle. Probably a handgun.

This isn't a "good guy with a gun", this is a good cop with a gun and there's a massive difference. The "good guys" with guns are most often the very same guys who become bad guys with guns.

The NRA would make you think these endless mass murders are committed by "bad guys" who have always been bad guys, career criminals. Some of them might be, but the vast majority are what they would have called a good guy the day before.

WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO

Bodycam Video Shows Officer Track and Kill Mass Shooter at Allen Outlet Mall

Allen, Texas — On May 6, 2023, an Allen Police Officer speaking to a mother and her two kids heard off more than 10 gunshots in the distance, at the Allen Premium Outlets mall. The officer calls in the shots fired over the radio and another round of gunfire is heard.

The officer grabs his weapon and tells shoppers to get down. The officer runs across the outlet mall for approximately two-to-three minutes, and multiple rounds of gunfire are heard throughout this time. The video was edited by the department to blur out the faces of civilians and victims, and some language was removed.

In it, gunshots ring out and the officer is heard saying, "Shots fired. Shots fired. We got people running." He grabs his gun, yells for people to "Get moving!" and heads toward the gunfire. 

About four minutes into the footage, the officer raises his weapon and shoots at a gunman, identified as 33-year-old Mauricio Garcia. After he fires several more times, it's eerily quiet for the first time since the chaotic footage began. "Shots fired by police. I got him down!" The officer shoots two more times, and screams, "Drop the gun!"

Little more than five minutes after the footage began, the officer had fatally shot Garcia. Another officer approaches Garcia's body and the officer who ended the mass shooting, says, "We got him bro... we got him." Garcia murdered 8 people and wounded another 7 people when he went on his deadly rampage.

On June 26, The Texas Rangers and the Collin County District Attorney’s Office presented the evidence to the grand jury. After reviewing the evidence, they ruled the use of force was justified under Texas law.

Four killed in Philadelphia mass shooting - police

Four people were shot dead in the city of Philadelphia late on Monday, US police have said. They said another two - children aged two and 13 - were injured in the attack in the city's south-western Kingsessing area.

All the victims are male. The suspected gunman is now in custody and his rifle and handgun have been recovered. Police added that the suspect, who has not been named, was wearing a ballistic vest with "multiple magazines".

Full BBC article

• 5 months later...
I P Knightley
15 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

LeBron hitting the news for stating the obvious in a pre-match press conference. Just wait for him to be vilified by the rednecks and wackjobs.

Actually, it's worse than that as you can see those rednecks and wackjobs coming a mile off. There are plenty who support the right to tote guns who appear, on the face of it, to be perfectly normal (albeit American) human beings. It's one fecked up country. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

LeBron hitting the news for stating the obvious in a pre-match press conference. Just wait for him to be vilified by the rednecks and wackjobs.

Actually, it's worse than that as you can see those rednecks and wackjobs coming a mile off. There are plenty who support the right to tote guns who appear, on the face of it, to be perfectly normal (albeit American) human beings. It's one fecked up country. 

It'll never change. Quite incredible. Having worked with firearms and licencing in both the Hungerford and dunblane areas the changes the uk made are simply unthinkable to Americans.

Whilst I have sympathy towards those lost its hard to feel pity for a country that goes out its way to ensure mass shootings continue 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

40,165 deaths directly by shootings in the USA this year.

22,506 of them suicides, 17,569 of them homicides, murders, unintentional discharges etc.

To give a visualisation, the attendance at Tynecastle last night was 17,759.  190 off the number that will no doubt rise before the end of the year.

That's a ****ing staggering number of people getting killed in just a year.  America is ****ed.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, tian447 said:

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

40,165 deaths directly by shootings in the USA this year.

22,506 of them suicides, 17,569 of them homicides, murders, unintentional discharges etc.

To give a visualisation, the attendance at Tynecastle last night was 17,759.  190 off the number that will no doubt rise before the end of the year.

That's a ****ing staggering number of people getting killed in just a year.  America is ****ed.

Those figures are mind boggling. 

On 29/06/2023 at 09:59, Dick Dastardly said:

Not a school shooting but this is unreal. 

Now imagine this brave guy trying to do his job whilst a bunch of "good guys with guns" are also running around an incident...

17 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

It'll never change. Quite incredible. Having worked with firearms and licencing in both the Hungerford and dunblane areas the changes the uk made are simply unthinkable to Americans.

Whilst I have sympathy towards those lost its hard to feel pity for a country that goes out its way to ensure mass shootings continue 

Tell you a sad story though: After those massacres my father surrendered an old police pistol from decades earlier that his uncle had passed to him. I don't think he'd ever shot it. However between Christmas & Hogmanay last year when he was dying in agony as he'd pulled catheters out several times as he had dementia and a kidney problem which made them uncomfortable, my mother asked if she could bring him anything - through his massive pain resulting from the damage he had done to himself he said "Please bring me my gun"...

il Duce McTarkin
14 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Tell you a sad story though: After those massacres my father surrendered an old police pistol from decades earlier that his uncle had passed to him. I don't think he'd ever shot it. However between Christmas & Hogmanay last year when he was dying in agony as he'd pulled catheters out several times as he had dementia and a kidney problem which made them uncomfortable, my mother asked if she could bring him anything - through his massive pain resulting from the damage he had done to himself he said "Please bring me my gun"...

:(

26 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

:(

Yeah, I wasn't hugely close to him but those are some last coherent words to have spoken, eh?

il Duce McTarkin
53 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Yeah, I wasn't hugely close to him but those are some last coherent words to have spoken, eh?

They aren't half. I'd be sort of proud of him, tbh.

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Sorry for your loss.

Unbelievable what dementia sufferers remember at completely random timings, cant remember 30 seconds ago but can tell you tales of years gone by,then 5 minutes later tell you the same tale again.

CavySlaveJambo

Ethan Crumbley (Oxford School shooter) sentenced to Life without Parole.  His parents trial should be next year.  

Hopefully a deterrent but most school shooters off them selves or the cops do it for them. 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

highlandjambo3

Bump

Not another shooting but……………….I thought I’d mention this:

watching a film the other night, “fast Charlie” starring Perice Brosnan, wasn’t particularly great but nothing else was on.  There was a part in the film where he was in a hotel and a hitman was after him…..some shooting in the hall then an automated message blared out from the hotel emergency speakers:

“ATTENTION, ATTENTION….THERE IS AN ACTIVE SHOOTER IN THE HOTEL, PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR ROOM AND LOCK YOUR DOOR” 😳😳

got me thinking about that **cked up country, is this just now part of their normal 🤷‍♂️….I mean it’s possible something that is now initiated in schools, public buildings etc…. I know kids now carry ballistic school bags that are big enough to crouch behind……the new normal eh.  

TBH I had never heard of panic rooms until I seen the film and, it appears they are part of a standard house fitment in Israel (another issue I know)

IMG_5928.png

Rodger Mellie
3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Bump

Not another shooting but……………….I thought I’d mention this:

watching a film the other night, “fast Charlie” starring Perice Brosnan, wasn’t particularly great but nothing else was on.  There was a part in the film where he was in a hotel and a hitman was after him…..some shooting in the hall then an automated message blared out from the hotel emergency speakers:

“ATTENTION, ATTENTION….THERE IS AN ACTIVE SHOOTER IN THE HOTEL, PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR ROOM AND LOCK YOUR DOOR” 😳😳

got me thinking about that **cked up country, is this just now part of their normal 🤷‍♂️….I mean it’s possible something that is now initiated in schools, public buildings etc…. I know kids now carry ballistic school bags that are big enough to crouch behind……the new normal eh.  

TBH I had never heard of panic rooms until I seen the film and, it appears they are part of a standard house fitment in Israel (another issue I know)

IMG_5928.png

I work in a hospital and if there is an active shooter or hostage situation, a code silver alert is announced through the public announcement system. Never experienced it yet. There is armed security posted throughout the hospital, so I generally feel pretty safe.