Robbie Neilson Tactics

Walter Bishop

To many times away from home I think Robbie's tactics are plan A, sit in and don't lose a goal.

There never seems to be a plan B to many times if we do.

Though last year was an improvement.

I think we concentrate on the opposition rather than ourselves to much as well.

Wish we would play away from home like we do at Tynecastle, let them worry about us rather than us worrying about them.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Malinga the Swinga

• Bazzas right boot

frankblack
9 minutes ago, Australis said:

To many times away from home I think Robbie's tactics are plan A, sit in and don't lose a goal.

Wish we would play away from home like we do at Tynecastle, let them worry about us rather than us worrying about them.

We still lose 2-3 out of every 4 games minimum vs them home or away because they have better players starting and better players in reserve.

I don't know what is too difficult to understand that we are facing teams with 10 times our budget that just reached a major European final, and we just got promoted from the championship?

Ex member of the SaS
12 minutes ago, Australis said:

Correct. I don't agree with the poodle type comments but I do believe Robbie has " inherited " too much of Levein's philosophy. Try not to lose, defend a one goal lead, and too often change tactics to suit the opposition rather than having them worry about us. I also think he doesn't have that certain something that allows managers to see the game and make positive changes. There are times ( too often ) his subs are baffling.

Ex member of the SaS
54 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We still lose 2-3 out of every 4 games minimum vs them home or away because they have better players starting and better players in reserve.

I don't know what is too difficult to understand that we are facing teams with 10 times our budget that just reached a major European final, and we just got promoted from the championship?

Earlier this season Sevco drew with Aberdeen ,Motherwell and DDutd. They had better players than these teams yet did not win. Personally think we have better players then these teams too, so why is always them winning? Yes they have a bigger budget but teams with less money can still give them a run for their money, and them coming home from a hard game with extra time and penalties means we should have been the better team, but because Robbie played a friendly and our best team got beat by under 18's had a huge phycological effect, and slight injuries that need not have happened. These are big mistakes good managers do not make.

frankblack
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

Earlier this season Sevco drew with Aberdeen ,Motherwell and DDutd. They had better players than these teams yet did not win. Personally think we have better players then these teams too, so why is always them winning? Yes they have a bigger budget but teams with less money can still give them a run for their money, and them coming home from a hard game with extra time and penalties means we should have been the better team, but because Robbie played a friendly and our best team got beat by under 18's had a huge phycological effect, and slight injuries that need not have happened. These are big mistakes good managers do not make.

Earlier in the season they had a dip in form.  They haven't lost many in recent months bar to Celtic, have they?

54 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Correct. I don't agree with the poodle type comments but I do believe Robbie has " inherited " too much of Levein's philosophy. Try not to lose, defend a one goal lead, and too often change tactics to suit the opposition rather than having them worry about us. I also think he doesn't have that certain something that allows managers to see the game and make positive changes. There are times ( too often ) his subs are baffling.

Temp lines were brought into the width of the 18 yard boxes and Hearts worked on staying narrow on the run up to the final.  Thinking they’d force Rangers wide and hit them in behind on the counter. Maybe explains why Atkinson toiled against Bassey and Kent.  

On 21/05/2022 at 17:43, Walter Bishop said:

Was he playing for penalties? First manager ever in a cup final to play for a draw. 

He was playing for a draw but it’s very easy to blame the manager when they have better players all over the pitch. 
I think they are going to beat us 9/10 with this squad tbh. 
We need much more strength in midfield and pace in the team all over. 
Best of the rest but we are miles short of the old firm. 

His weaknesses are chops formation too much and plays a lot out of position. 

The 4231 seems to be the best but it needs strengthened apart from Mackay in the 3 the other 2 are not up to it. 

Got to get the full backs up the pitch it’s something we really struggle with.

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Deary me.

No question anything can happen over 90 minutes sometimes. But generally better teams with bigger budgets win. When they are up against a side who have 4/5 players recovering from injury and well short of fitness the odds lengthen. Considerably. 

Ex member of the SaS
12 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Deary me.

No question anything can happen over 90 minutes sometimes. But generally better teams with bigger budgets win. When they are up against a side who have 4/5 players recovering from injury and well short of fitness the odds lengthen. Considerably. 

Not arguing that point. Was replying to an earlier post that made out they would win every game due to better players. Also as stated earlier our players were unfit/injured and humiliated in the previous week. That was simply bad management.

i wish jj was my dad
30 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Not arguing that point. Was replying to an earlier post that made out they would win every game due to better players. Also as stated earlier our players were unfit/injured and humiliated in the previous week. That was simply bad management.

It wasn't bad management at all. What did you expect us to do? 

47 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

We’ve had the injuries highlighted yet we didn’t play 2 fit, on form players 🤷🏻‍♂️

Souttar wasn’t injured and clearly

fully fit. Halkett was excellent too. Yes, match rustiness has to be considered but it didn’t look like it affected them.

The player who looked most hindered was Devlin, he still managed to compete but was obviously short on being able to give his best levels. 

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

We’ve had the injuries highlighted yet we didn’t play 2 fit, on form players 🤷🏻‍♂️

Souttar wasn’t injured and clearly

fully fit. Halkett was excellent too. Yes, match rustiness has to be considered but it didn’t look like it affected them.

The player who looked most hindered was Devlin, he still managed to compete but was obviously short on being able to give his best levels. 

I think the game just bypassed Cammy and exposed him for the enthusiastic, but limited, player he is. Excellent in most SPL games but probably not quite up to the old firm.

We missed Beni in there.

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think the game just bypassed Cammy and exposed him for the enthusiastic, but limited, player he is. Excellent in most SPL games but probably not quite up to the old firm.

We missed Beni in there.

I agree. 

On the post above  don't think either Soapy or Halkett were 100% but both did themselves proud. Cammy. Boyce and Simms were also well short. So with the limited options on the bench we didn't have enough about us to get on top of them in ET.

Shit but there it is.

Ex member of the SaS
4 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It wasn't bad management at all. What did you expect us to do? 

First off play the returning players and youth in the league and miss out on the friendly. That way Boyce would not have had a niggle and the returning players would have had game time.

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

We missed Beni in there.

The loss of Beni cannot be underestimated.

Hectormasson
22 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Utd beat them too.....

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

It's going to be a long summer on here.

Yip, third is a failure as other teams have beaten Rangers last season. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

First off play the returning players and youth in the league and miss out on the friendly. That way Boyce would not have had a niggle and the returning players would have had game time.

I think the medical staff know a bit more than you or I do about maximising game time. 

On 26/05/2022 at 15:58, frankblack said:

Earlier in the season they had a dip in form.  They haven't lost many in recent months bar to Celtic, have they?

You're right. Six months since a Scottish non-OF team beat an OF team.

And still a lunatic fringe doubt Robbie.

davemclaren
51 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

How long since a Scottish non-of team beat Celtic?

frankblack
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

How long since a Scottish non-of team beat Celtic?

Livi on 19th September unless I missed something.

Bazzas right boot
On 26/05/2022 at 14:43, Australis said:

Aye, not losing a goal will never catch on... 

How dare he have a tactic that includes not conceding, the nerve. 

Hopefully we change and chuck goals in. 🙃

Bazzas right boot
23 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

That depressing. 

Rangers have only lost 1 league game to a non of team in 2 seasons. 

Would quite like to see us have a change in shape/formation next season, I think that ditching the back 3 would be a good decision imo as it just ends up being a back 5 anyway if we are getting battered, for me I would like us to go with a 4-1-3-2 formation, sacrificing 1 defensive midfielder and getting another attacker (hopefully a new CAM) in the team, this also allows us to play two up top.

I would like to see something like

Gordon

Atkinson-New CH-Halkett-Kingsley

Devlin/Beni/Haring

New RW-New CAM-Mckay

Simms/New CF-New CF/Boyce 

We could even switch it up at times and go with a 4-3-3 if we need an extra midfielder in there 

Gordon 

Atkinson-New CH-Halkett-Kingsley

Devlin-New CAM-Beni/Haring

New Rw-Simms/New CF-Mckay

Hopefully If we can get the right quality in key positions, we should be looking at another good season ahead, we certainly need to strengthen the options on our bench though to be able to deal with europe and the domestic campaign.

On 21/05/2022 at 17:50, Bozi said:

Get to feck 

What a surprise the arseholes are out quickly 

Halkett, Souttar, Boyce and Devlin were struggling for fitness, as the game went on their lack of gametime started to show. Boyce going off was a turning point, losing a 2nd so quickly ended it 

Nielson was 30 minutes away from true legend status, take your negativity and ram it

We had zero shots on goal mate zero. I suggest you pull your head out the sand 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, NB GIN said:

I suspect when we play the old firm we need to go to a 451. We are battered in the middle of the park. 

Or get better and faster central midfielders. 

4 hours ago, NB GIN said:

We had zero shots on goal mate zero. I suggest you pull your head out the sand 

If we had nicked a goal and won the game or won on penalties not a single f##k would have been given.

Too many of our key players were unfit due to late season injuries, if there wasn't a cup final I seriously doubt we would have seen Souttar, Halkett, Boyce or Devlin again this season. The game plan was almost perfect first half and but for Simms being about half an inch too short we could have went in at half time ahead. After that Rangers larger, fitter squad started to tell and the depth in quality was sobering, while our half-fit best players tired rapidly and we had little quality on the bench. 

Bazzas right boot
On 27/05/2022 at 09:38, Nookie Bear said:

We missed Beni in there.

On 27/05/2022 at 13:58, Thomaso said:

The loss of Beni cannot be underestimated.

Harsh on Haring and Devlin but Beni is our only midfielder who can midfield properly. 

He's our nearest player to a complete midfielder and although Haliday, Haring and Devlin all bring something they all also have glaring weaknesses that are exposed by the OF. 

colinmorewasgash

It would be nice to try and get attacking midfielders for a change Its been so long since we had one that would score frequently, boyce isn't a midfielder but we will probably sign another defensive midfielder if pete goes. Roy Keane had a point since when are midfielders just defensive if they can't do both jobs then they shouldn't be professionals. We seem to like the 2 holding in midfield and often get outnumbered, against better teams or we pick a 8 man more defensive type  player set up even at home which folk moan in here moaned about. lts not just money and budgets with old firm they don't sign just defensive midfielders they sign guys that can do both jobs. With Europe no simms and the other teams trying to get better it won't be as easy next season. Already guys like forrest charles cook  and few others we have had talks with look to be heading elsewhere.

14 hours ago, Bozi said:

If we had nicked a goal and won the game or won on penalties not a single f##k would have been given.

Too many of our key players were unfit due to late season injuries, if there wasn't a cup final I seriously doubt we would have seen Souttar, Halkett, Boyce or Devlin again this season. The game plan was almost perfect first half and but for Simms being about half an inch too short we could have went in at half time ahead. After that Rangers larger, fitter squad started to tell and the depth in quality was sobering, while our half-fit best players tired rapidly and we had little quality on the bench. 

Zero shots is acceptable to you ? He 

frankblack
4 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Zero shots is acceptable to you ? He 

Dry your eyes.  You have been answered numerous times and are back to your tiresome tactic of repeating yourself.

You and your bitter bunch of haters never stop moaning.

Time to go support a club that meets your expectations such as Man City. 👍

The seasons done. Robbie's tactics won us 3 place and a nice little European adventure. Throw in the money made, a Hibs double slap in a week and we day oot at the big cup final, which we only lost in extra time. 

Have a holiday and come back ready for the new season.

:flagwave:Mon Hearts!

13 hours ago, frankblack said:

Dry your eyes.  You have been answered numerous times and are back to your tiresome tactic of repeating yourself.

What was the answer to zero shots on target?

The huns have money?

il Duce McTarkin
10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The seasons done. Robbie's tactics won us 3 place and a nice little European adventure. Throw in the money made, a Hibs double slap in a week and we day oot at the big cup final, which we only lost in extra time. 

Have a holiday and come back ready for the new season.

:flagwave:Mon Hearts!

:greatpost:

On 26/05/2022 at 15:54, Ex member of the SaS said:

"...and them coming home from a hard game with extra time and penalties means we should have been the better team..."

Sorry bud, but that's nonsense.  Out of interest, have you ever played 11 a side football?  There's no universe in which a game of football taking place 3 days ago turns a European finalist, multi million pound spending, 55x league champion side in to a worse side than Hearts who were in the Championship last season and spend about £1 for every £5/6 that Rangers spend.  

Gave us a better chance, but having seen the Rangers players performances it didn't seem to impact them at all.  

frankblack
40 minutes ago, briever said:

What was the answer to zero shots on target?

The huns have money?

Try reading the answers to this troll. 👍

On 26/05/2022 at 15:47, Ex member of the SaS said:

Without a doubt! Hearts had to go for the jugular from the first minute they did against his! But they never rangers then played at their pace and grew in confidence after half time! Hearts played for penalties from the off without a doubt! 

frankblack
4 hours ago, gar jambo said:

Without a doubt! Hearts had to go for the jugular from the first minute they did against his! But they never rangers then played at their pace and grew in confidence after half time! Hearts played for penalties from the off without a doubt! 

Hearts didn't have enough fit players to do any better.  Squad wasn't big enough to handle injuries to our best XI.  It really is that simple but the hard of thinking like to slaver and chuck their predictable seeth and utter drivel at Neilson.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, gar jambo said:

"Go for the jugular" 😂

Right up there with "get brexit done" as a pointless empty phrase that means **** all. 

Folk can't think that these expressions and their like have any tangible meaning 

frankblack
9 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

"Go for the jugular" 😂

Right up there with "get brexit done" as a pointless empty phrase that means **** all. 

Folk can't think that these expressions and their like have any tangible meaning 

That sort of headless chicken style of tactics against a team with better players usually leads to the other team gutting you like a fish.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That sort of headless chicken style of tactics against a team with better players usually leads to the other team gutting you like a fish.

Aye, this - run about, press, believe, go for it all conquering tactic has alluded every manager for decades. 

Nobody that bangs on about such shite ever answers this  question - what if the other team does the same? 

For example, What's stopping Rangers "going for the jugular"? 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

i wish jj was my dad
54 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Hearts didn't have enough fit players to do any better.  Squad wasn't big enough to handle injuries to our best XI.  It really is that simple but the hard of thinking like to slaver and chuck their predictable seeth and utter drivel at Neilson.

It does get very tiresome. 

Maybe we should just give up.  Admit we are shit, skooshed 3rd above two teams with comparable /bigger budgets, reached a cup final etc. All despite Robbie's ineptitude. Imagine having trouble with fitness and injuries in May. 

frankblack
24 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It does get very tiresome. 

Maybe we should just give up.  Admit we are shit, skooshed 3rd above two teams with comparable /bigger budgets, reached a cup final etc. All despite Robbie's ineptitude. Imagine having trouble with fitness and injuries in May. 

These same posters wanted him sacked for losing a pre season bounce match.  I think they need to seek counselling.

I think Robbies brand of football is actually quite good. When we're playing against weaker opposition you can see the passing etc. Obviously against better opposition it becomes harder to do that. Hopefully by the end of the summer the squad will be in a better place and be able to play with more confidence. You look over the season and can probably pick out several games where more clinical finishing wins us the game, but not only that calms the game down for us, allows us to settle and play our own game instead of hanging on by the skin of our teeth, or even allowing the other side into the game. 

frankblack
40 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think Robbies brand of football is actually quite good. When we're playing against weaker opposition you can see the passing etc. Obviously against better opposition it becomes harder to do that. Hopefully by the end of the summer the squad will be in a better place and be able to play with more confidence. You look over the season and can probably pick out several games where more clinical finishing wins us the game, but not only that calms the game down for us, allows us to settle and play our own game instead of hanging on by the skin of our teeth, or even allowing the other side into the game. 

Having better players and squad depth allows that to happen.

23 hours ago, frankblack said:

No not really mate 

its a simple statement are you happy with zero shots at goal cause I ain’t 

Answer ? 

frankblack
17 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

No not really mate 

its a simple statement are you happy with zero shots at goal cause I ain’t 

Answer ? 

Simple question - who would you have played to change the game?

Just accept all the players we had were either not fit or made no impact.

If you can't accept the simple fact that they had better players then you better not come back next season.