FWJ

The news about all the council workers being balloted for strike action will send Ked over the edge here!!!!!!!!!

wonder how he will take this one? 

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• IronJambo

• 1874robbo

• Ked

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Ked said:

Thanks.

Notably none funded by the taxpayer.

Just as well you can afford to fund it with your big wages and the extra ten percent or so tax you pay

Edited by IronJambo

9 hours ago, Ked said:

Non member sheep.

About sums it up.

Union leadership or local branch leaders should maybe realise that communism never once served working class people.

And if you compare the rights freedoms and living standards of those in free market economies with that of the communist regimes you might just wake the fek up.

Non member sheep shows the disdain you hold the workforce at if they don't follow your dogma.

I've joined unions before and I've been active in my younger days .

Absolutely politicised and a disgrace some of the muppets I came across.

Ranging from sectarian to away with the goalie unrealistic.

Non member sheep sums it up

Union at my work not extreme like your experience...

Pay, pensions etc all being monitored so I don’t have to. Without the union I’d be doing a lot more for a lot less with **** all leave so I’m happy to pay my subs and take action when needed.

Employers would hack away until we’re living in the film Metropolis. Thankfully the unions exist to bring the workers together as one - because without unity there’s no power. Why someone would be against that I don’t understand… unless they’re in management or profiting from status quo of course. 

33 minutes ago, kila said:

Union at my work not extreme like your experience...

Pay, pensions etc all being monitored so I don’t have to. Without the union I’d be doing a lot more for a lot less with **** all leave so I’m happy to pay my subs and take action when needed.

Employers would hack away until we’re living in the film Metropolis. Thankfully the unions exist to bring the workers together as one - because without unity there’s no power. Why someone would be against that I don’t understand… unless they’re in management or profiting from status quo of course. 

Do you work in an office environment- sounds like what happens at my work. I work for a bank and while the unions have little say they are excellent when bargaining around pay and especially disputes 

Japan Jambo
10 hours ago, IronJambo said:

What you talking about? They've been asking for a pay offer and continually told no 🤦 Were they meant to just keep walking away for another 3 years?

You do realise that for two of those three years there was a pandemic on which destroyed many people's incomes and businesses while you were all securely employed either at home or on reduced shifts?

You do realise that the income of the business you work for has dropped massively and that some change is needed to reflect that?

What an absolutely fatuous position to take.

Edited by Japan Jambo

37 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

You do realise that for two of those three years there was a pandemic on which destroyed many people's incomes and businesses while you were all securely employed either at home or on reduced shifts?

You do realise that the income of the business you work for has dropped massively and that some change is needed to reflect that?

You realise that the company i work for recently paid out £500m to shareholders?

You realise that for the first two years that employees and the unions were understanding.

You realise that even with passenger levels back at 80% of pre pandemic levels the company has still refused to sit around the table? 

Fatuous. I had to Google that. Silly and pointless? What a silly word.

WorldChampions1902
11 hours ago, Ked said:

Non member sheep.

About sums it up.

Union leadership or local branch leaders should maybe realise that communism never once served working class people.

And if you compare the rights freedoms and living standards of those in free market economies with that of the communist regimes you might just wake the fek up.

Non member sheep shows the disdain you hold the workforce at if they don't follow your dogma.

“Communism” sums it up.

Right Wing media is clearly part of your daily news diet and as I said in my OP, is a major contributor to the ‘sheeple’ effect. Loads of people on this (and other threads) rightly moaning about cost of living hikes and rampant inflation and I ask myself, so what are they willing to/going to do about it?

I would guesstimate that a significant proportion moaning, refuse to join their TU. Oh BTW, I am not naive to think that TU’s are paragons of virtue and perfect. They’re not. And I and my fellow Reps are fairly reasonable people trying defend our colleagues T’s & C’s against unrelenting attacks and erosions from an unreasonable employer that makes colossal profits from their labours.

But you you cite “sectarianism”,  “unrealistic” and “communism” as reasons (presumably) for you and others to not join a TU. Christ on a bike. That’s your choice. So, given the unreasonable behaviours of the employer I have described, and the clearly demonstrated affordability of an annual, inflation-level pay settlement that never materialises, do share your wisdom on how “free market economies” work for reasonable hard-working employees that generate colossal profits for shareholders? Because for the last 14 years in my company, it has demonstrably failed.

Your “communism” trope is so predictable and betrays the paucity of your anti-union post.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

“Communism” sums it up.

Right Wing media is clearly part of your daily news diet and as I said in my OP, is a major contributor to the ‘sheeple’ effect. Loads of people on this (and other threads) rightly moaning about cost of living hikes and rampant inflation and I ask myself, so what are they willing to/going to do about it?

I would guesstimate that a significant proportion moaning, refuse to join their TU. Oh BTW, I am not naive to think that TU’s are paragons of virtue and perfect. They’re not. And I and my fellow Reps are fairly reasonable people trying defend our colleagues T’s & C’s against unrelenting attacks and erosions from an unreasonable employer that makes colossal profits from their labours.

But you you cite “sectarianism”,  “unrealistic” and “communism” as reasons (presumably) for you and others to not join a TU. Christ on a bike. That’s your choice. So, given the unreasonable behaviours of the employer I have described, and the clearly demonstrated affordability of an annual, inflation-level pay settlement that never materialises, do share your wisdom on how “free market economies” work for reasonable hard-working employees that generate colossal profits for shareholders? Because for the last 14 years in my company, it has demonstrably failed.

Your “communism” trope is so predictable and betrays the paucity of your anti-union post.

If your employer is so unreasonable, why are you still working for them?

WorldChampions1902
Just now, John Findlay said:

If your employer is so unreasonable, why are you still working for them?

It is very complicated. Not avoiding the question but there are a number of factors. Not least being I am in the very fortunate position of drawing my company pension whilst on a FT salary. That in itself protects me from the financial impact of the last two years and what is coming down the line - for now.

Certainly over the last couple of years, significant numbers have left the company for very much larger packages elsewhere and that level of attrition is accelerating.

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

It is very complicated. Not avoiding the question but there are a number of factors. Not least being I am in the very fortunate position of drawing my company pension whilst on a FT salary. That in itself protects me from the financial impact of the last two years and what is coming down the line - for now.

Certainly over the last couple of years, significant numbers have left the company for very much larger packages elsewhere and that level of attrition is accelerating.

👍. I guess they may not survive as a company unless you are at one of the big ones like IBM.

22 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

I disagree with your view on IronJambo's position. 3yrs without a pay increase whilst costs have risen is not an ideal situation for anyone. I do believe that changes are required in the rail industry to support modernisation but taking the position that after 3 years with no pay increment they should pipe down is fatuous in its own right. 

I do hope that the Unions can take a more pragmatic view on pay rises and work to establish a 2yr pay deal at a lower headline rate year on year. 

13 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

You know absolutely nothing about how effective or otherwise myself or fellow union Reps perform. A union is only as strong as its membership. When fellow employees refuse to join a union because of their political beliefs/stubbornness/brainwashing/stupidity, it is very difficult to recruit.

I think this is important to highlight. Most people have no idea what union reps do to proactively take action against the whims of senior management in companies. 

Without them things would be a lot worse, i don't think people actually realise that pre-emptive action benefits them and they don't get to hear about it. 

That said - the problem with recruitment comes in part down to the cost - Prospect for example charge me almost £20 a month, I treat it as an insurance policy. 

WorldChampions1902
26 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

I think this is important to highlight. Most people have no idea what union reps do to proactively take action against the whims of senior management in companies. 

Without them things would be a lot worse, i don't think people actually realise that pre-emptive action benefits them and they don't get to hear about it. 

That said - the problem with recruitment comes in part down to the cost - Prospect for example charge me almost £20 a month, I treat it as an insurance policy. 

Thank you. You are absolutely correct. In fact, you have used a term I frequently use when talking to members. Membership is indeed an “insurance policy”. Pay negotiations form only a small part of what union subs cover.

I have already mentioned how I and my fellow Reps managed to quadruple the Employers pension contributions to the replacement pension scheme. After that deal was secured, I highlighted the point that members who regularly comment about how much their subs are should reflect that the pension deal we had secured in itself, justifies their subs forever. That of course doesn’t even take account of the meetings we/I have attended to represent members because of alleged bullying by management, or unfair dismissals or redundancies or……or…..or ……I could go on.

Union subs are a worth every penny. Interestingly, it is not uncommon for non-members to sign up, the moment they are impacted by some of the aforementioned issues, which rips my knitting. Especially when the union resolves their issue and that member subsequently cancels their membership a few months later. These pesky militant, nasty unions eh? 👍

2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Actually, here's a fact for you.

When I took my position in the railway it paid £2k pa more than the job I left in retail. That same job in retail now pays £6k pa more than the job I left it for. We're all paying more for our shopping, how dare people in retail have the cheek to take reasonable pay increases.

Edit: and in what world do you think I was working on a train from home? My shifts also, remained the same thought-out.

Management weren't seen. They were the ones working from home whilst trying to tell us it was safe for us to be working and interacting within half a foot of customers with little/useless PPE. 2 metres aye? Try that on a train.

Edited by IronJambo

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

I disagree with your view on IronJambo's position. 3yrs without a pay increase whilst costs have risen is not an ideal situation for anyone. I do believe that changes are required in the rail industry to support modernisation but taking the position that after 3 years with no pay increment they should pipe down is fatuous in its own right. 

I do hope that the Unions can take a more pragmatic view on pay rises and work to establish a 2yr pay deal at a lower headline rate year on year. 

Fair enough and on reflection I'm being harsh. It's the strike first talk later bit coupled with the entitlement of a pay rise that is really grinding my gears - as you say there should be sensible talks and a sensible compromise linked to modernisation.

Japan Jambo
12 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Actually, here's a fact for you.

When I took my position in the railway it paid £2k pa more than the job I left in retail. That same job in retail now pays £6k pa more than the job I left it for. We're all paying more for our shopping, how dare people in retail have the cheek to take reasonable pay increases.

Edit: and in what world do you think I was working on a train from home? My shifts also, remained the same thought-out.

In two weeks time a load of those retail folks around the country will have their week seriously impacted both directly with regards to their commute and indirectly through a drop off in the revenues of the businesses they work for as a result of rail strike action. I severely doubt they enjoyed the same job security and pension arrangements rail worders did through lockdown - judging by the empty storefronts a good % of them had to leave the industry which is why salaries in certain sections of the economy are rising fast to attract folks back and counteract the impact of Brexit.

-  to be clear I never said you were working from home, but I will confess to being extremely surprised your shifts never changed. Given the drop off in passenger numbers running that amount of empty trains was a spectacular waste of resource. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/transport-use-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic

21 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

In two weeks time a load of those retail folks around the country will have their week seriously impacted both directly with regards to their commute and indirectly through a drop off in the revenues of the businesses they work for as a result of rail strike action. I severely doubt they enjoyed the same job security and pension arrangements rail worders did through lockdown - judging by the empty storefronts a good % of them had to leave the industry which is why salaries in certain sections of the economy are rising fast to attract folks back and counteract the impact of Brexit.

-  to be clear I never said you were working from home, but I will confess to being extremely surprised your shifts never changed. Given the drop off in passenger numbers running that amount of empty trains was a spectacular waste of resource. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/transport-use-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic

There were less trains but our shifts are made to accommodate the timetable and are part of a 24 week rota. We were there regardless of trains or not. With that reduced timetable it also added time onto my day to get there and back.

And no, nobody takes the train to go to a supermarket 🤦 they'll be booming regardless.

Unlucky for those going to Glastonbury, they'll certainly need to be on the 303 instead.

Edit: forgive me for not sharing a thought for someone getting to work whilst I exercise my right to withdraw my labour. My thoughts are now taken up by where I can cut my cloth to cover for 4 fifths a weeks wage I won't be seeing.

Edited by IronJambo

3 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Do you work in an office environment- sounds like what happens at my work. I work for a bank and while the unions have little say they are excellent when bargaining around pay and especially disputes 

I don't work in manual labour so I can imagine my perspective from my union's activities/approach will differ to other sectors. I think my union is effective because as @Mysterion touched on further up it's also about pre-emptive strikes, and power to cause major disruption.

Things should be a lot better in my sector but they could be a lot worse without the union's power.  Fixed term contracts are becoming more common, so the union will be flexing muscles again soon. The highest earners in management enjoying ridiculous rises and perks while the actual workers have to put up with job insecurity and pay cuts. We should be (metaphorically of course) burning their multiple houses down, the ****ers! Especially those who fail upwards.

13 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Given the drop off in passenger numbers running that amount of empty trains was a spectacular waste of resource. 

Very different subject but it does need addressed. 

I would like to see rail travel become free at weekends on a localised route basis (ie. Not Edinburgh to Aberdeen, but the sort of route that goes Edinburgh to Dalgety Bay, Edinburgh to Uphall etc) so people come out and use the train and then value them as a service. After that you hope for a knock on effect on the economy by people travelling into different areas. 

Japan Jambo
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

There were less trains but our shifts are made to accommodate the timetable and are part of a 24 week rota. We were there regardless of trains or not. With that reduced timetable it also added time onto my day to get there and back.

And no, nobody takes the train to go to a supermarket 🤦 they'll be booming regardless.

Unlucky for those going to Glastonbury, they'll certainly need to be on the 303 instead

You must be customer facing with that attitude :facepalm: (again)

So basically your shifts did change but your total hours didn't and you were paid to sit on your arse? Pretty much what I thought, thanks for clarifying. I wonder how many others here get paid for commuting time?

Supermarkets are not the entire retail market btw. and you aren't addressing my point about how workers and shoppers in the middle of large cities are impacted but hey as long as your ok...

Japan Jambo
1 minute ago, Mysterion said:

I would like to see rail travel become free at weekends on a localised route basis (ie. Not Edinburgh to Aberdeen, but the sort of route that goes Edinburgh to Dalgety Bay, Edinburgh to Uphall etc) so people come out and use the train and then value them as a service. After that you hope for a knock on effect on the economy by people travelling into different areas. 

Rail should be so much part of the solution with regard to climate impact - I completely agree that folks need incentivised to use it. The massive subsidies being poured into it are totally incongruent with the ridiculously high fares. I don't believe any major rail system operates without public subsidy, at least we should be extracting some value for the huge amounts we are paying.

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Nice idea, but totally impractical. Why?

There is not enough rail stock for this, pure and simple.

28 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

You must be customer facing with that attitude :facepalm: (again)

So basically your shifts did change but your total hours didn't and you were paid to sit on your arse? Pretty much what I thought, thanks for clarifying. I wonder how many others here get paid for commuting time?

Supermarkets are not the entire retail market btw. and you aren't addressing my point about how workers and shoppers in the middle of large cities are impacted but hey as long as your ok...

No my shifts were the same, I was still up at 2am some days and home at 2am on other days. Having less trains to cover doesn't mean I was at work less.

I often get paid to sit on my arse or sleep, that didn't change much. 

I'm not OK, most of us in the rail industry aren't OK. That's the point. I'm sure people will manage for the whole 3 days we're not working. 

I'm well aware there's more to retail than supermarkets but I mentioned my previous job in retail which you then referred to. That job happened to be in a supermarket. I'm sure the world won't fall apart because a few people can't make it to River Island 😂

Edited by IronJambo

Japan Jambo
24 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

No my shifts were the same, I was still up at 2am some days and home at 2am on other days. Having less trains to cover doesn't mean I was at work less.

I often get paid to sit on my arse or sleep, that didn't change much. 

I'm not OK, most of us in the rail industry aren't OK. That's the point. I'm sure people will manage for the whole 3 days we're not working. 

I'm well aware there's more to retail than supermarkets but I mentioned my previous job in retail which you then referred to. That job happened to be in a supermarket. I'm sure the world won't fall apart because a few people can't make it to River Island 😂

👍🤣 fair play that was funny.

14 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

👍🤣 fair play that was funny.

It wasn't even a joke 🤣

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Nice idea, but totally impractical. Why?

There is not enough rail stock for this, pure and simple.

Hey, i'm not suggesting anything extra, just the standard "as is" (pre strike) timetable. Is there not enough for that ? 

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Hey, i'm not suggesting anything extra, just the standard "as is" (pre strike) timetable. Is there not enough for that ? 

Not if you are letting people travel for free.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Not if you are letting people travel for free.

Right - but that's you suggesting capacity wouldn't be sufficient ? Surely that's sort of the point in some respects ? You want it to be busy then look for behavioural change where people travelling into a city or town (for free) then aim for quieter times spreading out passenger numbers ? 

Gone properly off the topic now! 😄

When bus travel is free for young people and older folks already (we do know old folks love their bus pass), I do think there's scope for public transport whether by Bus or Train (or Tram) to become free (or a nominal £1 flat fare) at weekends to make it perceived as valuable.

Quite a turn this thread has taken.

There's not enough money to pay staff properly but trains should be free? :fonzie:

6 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Quite a turn this thread has taken.

There's not enough money to pay staff properly but trains should be free? :fonzie:

It's the long term scaling up IJ - you make more people value and use it, gradually the weekday paying customers increase their usage too. Pretty sure Berlin used to have free travel on its underground/metro trains on a Sunday... don't know if that is still the case.

10 hours ago, Mysterion said:

It's the long term scaling up IJ - you make more people value and use it, gradually the weekday paying customers increase their usage too. Pretty sure Berlin used to have free travel on its underground/metro trains on a Sunday... don't know if that is still the case.

They don't need the scaling up though, they're pretty much there.

Edit: that clown Schapps had his "great British rail sale" and they were selling tickets for buttons on trains that were already full and standing beforehand 🤦

Edited by IronJambo

Weakened Offender
On 09/06/2022 at 23:00, Ked said:

Non member sheep.

About sums it up.

Communism 😁😁😁

On 10/06/2022 at 00:58, 1874robbo said:

The news about all the council workers being balloted for strike action will send Ked over the edge here!!!!!!!!!

wonder how he will take this one? 

It's harder now. The most recent local government union strike ballots in previous years have been lost due to new rules requiring 50% of members to vote.

If you are in local government union and don't want a strike you should NOT vote. Voting against helps make the strike happen by getting to the 50% threshold. 

• 2 weeks later...
Malinga the Swinga

Good to keep this thread alongside RMT one to enable easy checking of who is posting on one thread saying one thing and a different point of view on another, should of course, that be happening.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Cade said:

HOW DARE THE SNP GIVE IN TO THE DEMANDS OF THE UNIONS HOLDING THE NATION TO RANSOM

:seething::gok:

Fine by me .

Just don't post about cuts to other services while railway staff are paid 400 quid for a rest day rising to 440 for a Sunday.

Take it they're all church goers and if not hope they give an extra 10% tip to any waiters if they're out for a meal being the good socialists the pretend to be.

Take it you can point the Scottish government to the nearest magic money tree?

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

Well done the SG for showing how to run a railway 😊😊. 3 2 1 

Aye Barry.

So tell me what other services take the hit or do we all just pay more tax while they get 400 quid for a rest day plus other extended benefits.

Homeless take the hit Social services ?

Or do we think that msp expenses covers this ?

Next up nurse police other essential services.

Don't greet about no money when it's going to an extended workforce that's not turning a coin .

1 minute ago, Ked said:

Aye Barry.

So tell me what other services take the hit or do we all just pay more tax while they get 400 quid for a rest day plus other extended benefits.

Homeless take the hit Social services ?

Or do we think that msp expenses covers this ?

Next up nurse police other essential services.

Don't greet about no money when it's going to an extended workforce that's not turning a coin .

Someone that cares so much about services yet chummed his mate along to help batter someone and put more pressure on our already overstretched nhs and police force!! 

Just now, 1874robbo said:

Someone that cares so much about services yet chummed his mate along to help batter someone and put more pressure on our already overstretched nhs and police force!! 

Think your argument lacks substance there old chap.

Overstretched services meant that it was unlikely the person needing my mates help was likely.

Interesting your case needs another topic to back it up.

1 minute ago, Ked said:

Think your argument lacks substance there old chap.

Overstretched services meant that it was unlikely the person needing my mates help was likely.

Interesting your case needs another topic to back it up.

😂

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, Ked said:

Nae wonder yer laughing the money yer oan for daein a dummy job.

Why are you so annoyed at rail workers getting better conditions ? 

Have a go at the senior management that get paid extortionate amounts .

Will you be happy to work for the same wage the next 10 yrs ? 

It's a race to the bottom with you Tories. 

2 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Why are you so annoyed at rail workers getting better conditions ? 

Have a go at the senior management that get paid extortionate amounts .

Will you be happy to work for the same wage the next 10 yrs ? 

It's a race to the bottom with you Tories. 

No.

Market decides wages paid.

If you want to change that system be my guest .See how socialist countries reward their workers.Im all for fair pay.Right now their industry doesn't warrant that and that doesn't mean I agree with the top heavy management pay.

I'm not a tory I'm conservative .

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Ked said:

No.

Market decides wages paid.

If you want to change that system be my guest .See how socialist countries reward their workers.Im all for fair pay.Right now their industry doesn't warrant that and that doenttitesn't mean I agree with the top heavy management pay.

I'm not a tory I'm conservative .

Well the market decided they are entitled to better working conditions ,

Why is wanting better pay socialist? 

Doesn't everyone want more pay and some probably haven't had one for quite some time .

Maybe others would strike if thier was a union to represent them .

Don't understand your anger towards them .

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Doesn't everyone want more pay and some probably haven't had one for quite some time .

:spoton:

2 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

No anger.

Just a different point of view.

The money to fund this doesn't come from profit it comes from either tax hikes or cuts to other services.

What's your preference?